Grace Victory #8 Has the entire village raise her child, while she sits on the couch waiting takeaway

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is she though?!

Does every girl with the name Amilia/Ella/Lena have to explain to people that they are not part German?
Does every girl with the name Isabella/Sophia have to explain to people that they are not part Italian?
Does every girl with the name Leah/Emma/Chloe have to explain to people that they are not part French?
Does every girl with the name Phoebe/Iris have to explain to people that they are not part Greek?

Baby names have become so ambiguous and it is just an attempt to be unique at this stage.
I think it's likely she will. Most names will have origins in another language or culture but some names have a structure that is very much rooted in a language and so they aren't adopted by parents in other languages or cultures in the same way. If someone named their kid Zhaofeng then I'm going to assume they have some link to China, either because they are Chinese, have Chinese heritage or were raised there. I personally think Kamiko is the same, but other Japanese names might not be because they have a different structure or seem closer to Western equivalents and therefore don't raise the association as much in someone's mind. So for example there has been a real trend in recent years towards names starting with vowels and/or ending in vowels - Ava, Olivia etc, if she'd have picked something like Ami or Mei then I'm not sure people would have made the same link with Japanese.

Other than perhaps Lena, which I find more strongly European than the others, the rest of your examples are names which have become embedded amongst English parents notwithstanding their origins.

Reactions: 14
I think these days names travel, I actually have seen quite a few Japanese names being used recently. I think as time goes on we’ll see more of this, we already see it with Arabic names (Yasmin, Aisha, Aaliyah, Daliya, Jamal, Kadeem etc) African names don’t appeal to the west (yet) which is why you think it would be jarring but globalisation has already made names travel across creed and colour.

Other than perhaps Lena, which I find more strongly European than the others, the rest of your examples are names which have become embedded amongst English parents notwithstanding their origins.
You’re right, but someone started it right? In time, names from all over the world will be synonymous with all of us, the same way those Greek and French ones are.

Reactions: 6
You’re right, but someone started it right? In time, names from all over the world will be synonymous with all of us, the same way those Greek and French ones are.
Agreed, I'm just not sure we're there yet or will be in little Kamiko's lifetime. Iris apparently came into use in the English speaking world as a name in the 1500s.

Reactions: 3
Agreed, I'm just not sure we're there yet or will be in little Kamiko's lifetime. Iris apparently came into use in the English speaking world as a name in the 1500s.
I disagree. In just 30 years we’ve seen the growth of Jayden/Kayden and now people are making fun of how basic it feels, so going back to old fashioned names. In an attempt to seem different, people are going to start looking beyond western names, and this will be both people who have travelled, and people who just don’t feel particular affinity to western names. They’re going to want names with meaning, names that stand out in the register. Globalisation means this process is going to work quicker than before. Not sure where you’re from, but in multicultural parts of the south east it’s already happening.

Reactions: 2
Cyprus is calling her Kiki - I would imagine that is how she will be referred to by Grace and Lee also .

Reactions: 11
I disagree. In just 30 years we’ve seen the growth of Jayden/Kayden and now people are making fun of how basic it feels, so going back to old fashioned names. In an attempt to seem different, people are going to start looking beyond western names, and this will be both people who have travelled, and people who just don’t feel particular affinity to western names. They’re going to want names with meaning, names that stand out in the register. Globalisation means this process is going to work quicker than before. Not sure where you’re from, but in multicultural parts of the south east it’s already happening.
I'm in London. I don't disagree people are looking for different names or different spellings (I know of someone who named their kid Jorja as an alternative to Georgia), I just think that there are some names which at least at present raise an immediate association with other languages and cultures. Personally, if I saw Kamiko on the top of a CV then I'd assume they had a link to Japan.

Reactions: 17
Totally agree with this. 15 - 20 years ago people were calling their kids Tyler/Taylor, Brooklyn and Chantelle.

People aren't doing that anymore - these names are now deemed tacky.

It will be the same with the popular names now.

Reactions: 4
It sounds like
Interesting...

The name Kamiko is primarily a female name of Japanese origin that means Little Goddess.

Meaning:
Origin:
Auspicious Color:
Green, Yellow​
Auspicious Stones:
Aquamarine​
Alternate Stones:
Chrysoprase, Citrine, Moonstone, Pearl, White Sapphire​
Auspicious Metal:
Bronze, Copper​
Ruling Hours:
11am ~ 1pm​
Supportive Numbers:
5, 2, 7, 9, 14​
Lucky Days:
Wednesday, Friday​
Passion:
To be ahead of the crowd​
Life Pursuit:
To explore a little bit of everything​
Vibration:
Intense mental energy​
Ruling Planet:
Mercury​
Superior child… how fitting as her mother is superior … in her mind

I'm in London. I don't disagree people are looking for different names or different spellings (I know of someone who named their kid Jorja as an alternative to Georgia), I just think that there are some names which at least at present raise an immediate association with other languages and cultures. Personally, if I saw Kamiko on the top of a CV then I'd assume they had a link to Japan.
I see what you mean - just think the way world is this days, people are going to raise an eyebrow less.

Kamiko is a pretty name but seems weirdly appropriative if they have no Japanese ancestry themselves? It also doesn’t go with Cypress at alllll, not that siblings need to have matching names. But it feels super random. She’s a beautiful baby and I’m glad she and Grace are healthy and doing well.
Cyprus and Japan and yet they have no ties to either. Place names are tacky apparently (her words) but a straight up Japanese name isn’t? I’m obsessed with anime and Japanese culture but I’d never give my baby a strong Japanese name unless they had Japanese ancestry or was born there or something.

I like Wylde too. Definitely wouldn’t choose it for my kids but it’s quite nice. And IMO goes very nice together with the surname Williams. It’s just the… Kamiko. Like Kamikaze or something. No.
It looks wrongly spelt though or is that just me not liking when words are spelt different to be ‘quirky’

Here’s me thinking we were going to get a little Fern or a Sunny. Thank God for Cyprus calling her Kiki, a relatively normal nickname.

Cyprus and Japan and yet they have no ties to either.
Isn't her mum/mums family from Cyprus?

I’m obsessed with anime and Japanese culture but I’d never give my baby a strong Japanese name unless they had Japanese ancestry or was born there or something.
Really? So if for example you are British you can only choose a straight up British name? Seems very limiting!!

Last edited:
I don’t think Kamiko is a pretty-sounding name personally, and you do get some beautiful Japanese names. It sounds like a low-tier electronics brand to me 😬😬.

Also hate all this ‘earth side’ nonsense. Where was she before? Space??

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I don’t think Kamiko is a pretty-sounding name personally, and you do get some beautiful Japanese names. It sounds like a low-tier electronics brand to me 😬😬.

Also hate all this ‘earth side’ nonsense. Where was she before? Space??
It actually sounds like it could be an Electronics brand 😅😅😅

Anyone know if she has registered baby yet? If not I mean a name change seems like a fab idea.

• Heart
Reminds me of her friend Lekenah’s little girls name, Aieko.
As soon as I saw it, this is the first thing I thought. Wonder what Lekenah thinks, I can’t remember if they’ve still fallen out or are friends again.

Kamiko reminds me of Kim & Co. It could also be where Chase Amie buys her pretty little camisole tops.

The "Wylde", bit is yucky.

Reactions: 2
Isn't her mum/mums family from Cyprus?

Really? So if for example you are British you can only choose a straight up British name? Seems very limiting!!
I said I didn’t I? I think it’s different using commonly used European names such as Maria for example.

Kamiko? Don't they make TVs and laptops ?
Sorry its made that sweet little baby sound like and electronic brand...

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.