Grace Victory #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah she is now part of the social media mama goddess cult that seem to spend more time hyping each other up as otherworldly heroes than caring for their children.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Nothing to do with taking the stats about race out the picture- The point was ‘ some cases’? there’s certain hospitals are known for if you go in good luck getting out.

Ok but there’s a difference between understaffed/underfunded hospitals and racism in medical care, when you confuse the two, you are taking away from the importance of the latter.

I’ll have to try and dig up the quote, this is all memory from late night Twitter scrolling (terrible idea). But the tone of it was far less about the very real and serious issue that is medical bias and really suggesting that doctors were out to crazy murder black women like the (mostly American) police do to black men. It wasn’t informative, it was inflammatory. And of course, making Grace out to be a victim and center of it.
I don’t know, it’s a very nuanced issue and I feel like comparing the two minimises the police issue, completely twists the medical issue and would potentially stop women of color from seeking medical attention, ultimately exacerbating the problem.

Reactions: 4
Disgusting that when black people point out disparities in the standard of care, people rush to minimise their experiences.

• Heart
Reactions: 94
Disgusting that when black people point out disparities in the standard of care, people rush to minimise their experiences.
Exactly. it’s putting a bummer on the thread tbh. Of all the things we can witch about (and there’s a lot of material to pick at) it’s really tit, boring and wrong to minimise and gloss over any issues she’s had as a black woman. Leave that alone.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
I’ll have to try and dig up the quote, this is all memory from late night Twitter scrolling (terrible idea). But the tone of it was far less about the very real and serious issue that is medical bias and really suggesting that doctors were out to crazy murder black women like the (mostly American) police do to black men. It wasn’t informative, it was inflammatory. And of course, making Grace out to be a victim and center of it.
I don’t know, it’s a very nuanced issue and I feel like comparing the two minimises the police issue, completely twists the medical issue and would potentially stop women of color from seeking medical attention, ultimately exacerbating the problem.
this tweet?

I actually don't see anything wrong its phrasing at all.

- Police often view Black men as overly aggressive/posing a threat --> disproportionate violence and force applied when they're in custody, leading to harm and in sadly in some cases, death.
In the UK alone, there are so many examples of this, most recently Mohamud Mohammed in Wales.

- Doctors often view Black women as subhuman/downplay their experiences of pain --> to death, medical negligence etc.

Yes both issues are nuanced but that doesn't mean we can't make connections. I also don't think it would stop Black women (she said Black women not women of colour) from seeking medical help. Sadly, it's better to be vigilant/aware of the fact that these things may happen than hope for the best and ignore reality.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
It's a bit weird that Grace is half-black and half-white and she'd make a video entitled 'dear white people' as if she's forgotten the multiple sides of her heritage.
Yeah but don't forget she's also part greek cos her mum tans really easily.... does anyone remember that 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Exactly. it’s putting a bummer on the thread tbh. Of all the things we can witch about (and there’s a lot of material to pick at) it’s really tit, boring and wrong to minimise and gloss over any issues she’s had as a black woman. Leave that alone.
Yeah I’m not comfortable with some of the undertones of the messages I’ve been reading on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Oh I don't think anyone denies prejudice/racism but did she experienced it herself in a London hospital?
She says the same with fatphobia.
Like when she was pregnant, she had to see a doctor because of her obesity and she was all scornful like it's ridiculous and she knows better.

Reactions: 10
Of course not but it's interesting to notice that the world is bigger than the UK (and the USA) and mentalities are different too. The one drop rule is not a thing everywhere.

Do we know (studies) if there is a difference of treatment between British BAME people and BAME people who are immigrants (including those who have a different language of origin)?.And difference of treatment depending on wealth?
Unfortunately there isn’t. Serena Williams the world championship tennis player, married to Reddit founder Alex Ohanian, so very very wealthy, almost died in labour. Beyoncé Knowles also had a rough time during her last pregnancy. I know they’re American and not British, but it sadly seems to be a similar story for black women in other developed countries too regardless of their socio-economic status.

Reactions: 20
Unfortunately there isn’t. Serena Williams the world championship tennis player, married to Reddit founder Alex Ohanian, so very very wealthy, almost died in labour. Beyoncé Knowles also had a rough time during her last pregnancy. I know they’re American and not British, but it sadly seems to be a similar story for black women in other developed countries too regardless of their socio-economic status.
I think the USA is a peculiar case though. Not so long ago (the 60's), racial segregation was the law in certain states. Still today, everything seems related to your origins. Like pretending you are Italian when even your great grand parents were already born in the USA. Weird.
I read BAME working for the NHS are about 22%. I think it's a bigger percentage in the big cities with a bigger BAME population (I hope so as it would certainly make things improve).

Reactions: 5
Yeeeeah, I am not here for this debate over Grace's race. Totally unnecessary.

Reactions: 60
Before anyone jumps on me, I don’t deny the issues with black women and labour, the figures speak for themselves and i really hope this gets looked into and gets the right treatment for women.

but sorry, Grace is the one who who thought she knew better in her pregnancy, she was hospitalised before the covid stuff and was saying ridiculous things about the advice they were giving her, and I remember saying at the time if she ignores the advice she will be the first to say medical negligence, she was so in denial at being deemed high risk, she probably thought any advice given was in regards to her weight, whereas I hope the advice was also due to heritage.

Reactions: 7
Off topic but did anyone else watching that documentary get a bit put off by it being the Rochelle ‘look what I can afford’ show?

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.