Grace Beverley #15 Rags to riches, shows off her stitches, bestseller on amazon witches

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She really does not understand her following at all.... she’s doing a giveaway for a solar power electric car charger. Great, something sustainable, however how many of her uni student followers do you think can afford electric cars 😂
Haha so the other day out of the blue she said she was going to start posting on her @chezgrez account again despite not using it for a year, seemed innocent enough. But pretty obvious now that was only because she got a cushty offer to start working with this brand and didn't people to think she was only posting again to do an advert... which is exactly what she is doing.

Influencers doing ads/giveaways isn't anything new, but stuff like this is a bit shameless.

Reactions: 51
She really does not understand her following at all.... she’s doing a giveaway for a solar power electric car charger. Great, something sustainable, however how many of her uni student followers do you think can afford electric cars 😂
Wtf. My bfs van is electric, his boss was nice enough to buy it when he started, but just assumes everyone has a garage to charge it (he is also a multimillionaire) So im assuming you would also need to be a home owner to install this?

Reactions: 14
So I’m only chapter 2 but already have quite a few thoughts... I’ll write a more general review for amazon if I finish it but these are just some things that stuck out to me from the first 2 chapters!

If you can’t be bothered to read on, my general conclusion is that there are just so many words, literally 10+ pages that could’ve been a few sentences, and knowing what I do about a Grace it’s either complete hypocrisy or completely irrelevant (either to her own situation or that of most of her readers). Her writing isn't as hard to read as I anticipated once I properly sit down and concentrate, and there have been a couple of decent points but so far nothing groundbreaking.

Introduction:
  • She starts the book with “like most people, I’ve worked here and there since being a teenager” implying she has actually had the kind of low paying jobs most people start with, but then goes on to say she applied to work at IBM, with no mention of any of other jobs, and that was that. (She also mentions this was a way to have a year out to retake an A level, gain some experience and some “much needed” savings for university) 🧐
  • Intro in general seems particularly long with a very exaggerated babysitting story, involving poo and a 2 year old apparently prising open a child lock to obtain a huge kitchen knife. Sorry but who keeps kitchen knives at 2 year old height?!
  • While vaguely amusing the whole story is essentially just a way for her to say ‘the world of work is not what I expected’ - not quite what I’d call the world of work, but anyway. She also complains about only getting paid £6 for this ‘babysitting’ which was because the parents didn’t even get to go out in the end, so in fact she wasn’t even needed.
  • “In what Contagion-style movie did we think the main plot line would be Susan finally starting her own business instead of, you know, simply surviving while locked in her house attempting to escape a potentially deadly virus?” - direct quote, yet 3 pages later she also advises watching a TED talk on your lunch break. So far, it’s just a circle of hypocrisy with no real point, and I’ve lost count of the amount of times she’s already made a statement and then said “now I’m not saying you have to do X, Y and Z”, yet I literally have no idea what she IS saying??

Chapter 1
  • Essentially this whole chapter is her thinking she has redefined the term ‘purpose’ yet the only point I’ve taken from it is ‘find multiple things you’re passionate about and try to do one of them every single day’ - she mentions this once, and then 7 pages later she’s making the same point again, it’s just worded slightly differently and I have no idea of the relevance of anything in between.
  • There isn’t much else that stood out to me in this chapter. She goes on to give the reader questions they can ask themselves, basically to identify whether you’re happy at work, is there anything you could change, can you see yourself doing another job role etc. Just standard questions you really don’t need to be told to ask yourself?
Sorry this is so long, ironic this is what I’m complaining about in my mini review but hey, that’s all from me today 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Good god reading her introduction and I think I've found some of her most incomprehensible writing yet:

"Being labelled entitled, workshy, and the adjective one could only imagine to be 'snowflake-y', is nothing new (she types, through hard-done-by, you-don't-understand-us tears). In a 2016 op-ed in The Australian, 'young people' were generation-splained (mansplaining's wider-reaching sibling), with the assertion that if we all stopped eating avocado toast with 'crumbled feta' and a seemingly insulting 'five-grain toasted bread', we could buy houses instead."

There's just something about her writing that is so exhausting to read, maybe because every sentence is qualified by something in brackets. And sometimes just make zero sense: "the adjective one could only imagine to be 'snowflake-y'" ????
also, why's she saying 'we could buy homes instead' witch u just bought a mansion in London???

Grace's idea of 'working from 13' my multi millionaire parents friends wanted me to babysit their kids, so when they put them to bed, I went over and sat on the sofa and ate all their food in their £3million pound mansion and only got paid £25 an hour. They also had a live in nanny who did the majority of the work, but I did call to get her attention if something needed doing. Basically been hustling from tha GUTTAHH since a toddler.

The book and everything about it is absolutely despicable. An ode to self congratulations and announcement culture.

I wrote before how I've been much happier since cutting out things from social media that 'annoy' me. I unfollowed Grace a while ago and only come in here to read every so often, but I think im fully done. It sounds funny, but often times you 'hate watch' things or follow and they can really creep into your mind and get you down. I don't think any good can come from following an influencer like Grace and in 'who cares' news, I'd advise people, if they are feeling depressed or annoyed, to unfollow/block and give it a week.
Recently unfollowed her and I can attest to this!!

Reactions: 18
I will be deleting these soon but for anyone curious :

The intro

Some of her productivity tips

The part where she addresses her priviledge
These links have expired 😢
I will be deleting these soon but for anyone curious :

The intro

Some of her productivity tips

The part where she addresses her priviledge
these links have expired 😢😢

Reactions: 1
What kills me is that I can vaguely remember the babysitting poo story from the free audio sample. But she’s such a bad story teller, she could have written that to be way funnier and with so much flair but it was just a missed opportunity. I know she thinks it was funny and the story might have been but she told it all wrong imo. Did anyone laugh??

Reactions: 8
After reading the privilege section, I am convinced she's added in the bits about not being in a war torn country purely to trick people into thinking "wow if she's even mentioning that she's really discussed all of her privileges rather than scratching the surface".
In reality, as people have said, she very much qualifies everything she says with "buts"

Reactions: 26
Has she not called this a book for GenZ? Because this specific avocado toast thing was about millennials and she is lumping herself in with them here but absolutely no member of GenZ was buying or thinking about buying houses in 2016 (source: Im a begrudging older member of GenZ).
The funny thing about the infamous avocado toast quote is that the author, Bernard Salt, was writing a parody, making fun of boomers. The avo toast line was completely taken out of context, which is obvious if you read it, or if you read his follow up article. It’s clear Grace didn’t actually read it or do any research about it, she just parroted what she had heard.

From what I’ve read of Grace’s captions, her book is full of these superficial, meaningless statements she has randomly picked from her readings which aren’t backed up by research or real life experiences.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Wtf. My bfs van is electric, his boss was nice enough to buy it when he started, but just assumes everyone has a garage to charge it (he is also a multimillionaire) So im assuming you would also need to be a home owner to install this?
Not just a homeowner but a homeowner with a driveway or garage!! She is honestly so out of touch with the real world.

Reactions: 18
The funny thing about the infamous avocado toast quote is that the author, Bernard Salt, was writing a parody, making fun of boomers. The avo toast line was completely taken out of context, which is obvious if you read it, or if you read his follow up article. It’s clear Grace didn’t actually read it or do any research about it, she just parroted what she had heard.

From what I’ve read of Grace’s captions, her book is full of these superficial, meaningless statements she has randomly picked from her readings which aren’t backed up by research or real life experiences.
Yeah, that book is FULL of popular meaningless quotes/sayings/concepts/whatever. ‘The grass is greener where you water it’ ‘don’t start the day with admin’ ‘focus on yourself’ and people are highlighting these phrases and posting them to their stories like she’s come up with the most revelational tips ever?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Not just a homeowner but a homeowner with a driveway or garage!! She is honestly so out of touch with the real world.
Random question - does grace have a driveway? She turned the garage into the gym so I’m just wondering where she parks her car. I don’t imagine parking on the road is easy where she lives.

Reactions: 9
Random question - does grace have a driveway? She turned the garage into the gym so I’m just wondering where she parks her car. I don’t imagine parking on the road is easy where she lives.
I live near her and highly doubt she has a driveway. I assume she parks on the street which would be expensive but not impossible!

Reactions: 10
Really? ‘Genuinely helpful info’? Unless this is a primary school age person in Graces DMs, I do not understand how any of her tips are helpful
4D1EB072-CD8D-4C8B-8616-F35CEA291F0E.jpeg

D76B5CEA-97B1-4009-9ECC-4FFC6670071B.jpeg

85FEAF9C-698C-4150-B1CC-AF7D59A479C9.jpeg

AC921B5A-7478-4A21-B853-E85B0080ACFD.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 64
Sorry but if my boss made me use Grammarly I would politely refuse, just because she loves to use it? I am able to put together my own sentences and check for grammatical errors on my own. I think people like Grace will rely on it too much and aren't able to make these corrections without an extension on their computer telling them to do so. It's very evident with her waffly writing (Grammarly couldn't fix that apparently), especially when she's speaking. Does anyone remember last year where she shared stories of her speaking in a meeting and it made absolutely no sense whatsoever??

Ok checking old threads she's actually saved it to her "biz nuggets" highlights on Instagram, I hope it works linking it here:

Edit: Ok it links to the highlight stories but not the stories itself, just skip towards the middle until you see this to know what I am referring to:

Screenshot 2021-04-22 10.53.56.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6
the caption omg 😭 she just HAS to let everyone know that her life is so great and exciting. duck announcement culture tho!

I don't even agree with her! I was so in awe of her life when she was a student, getting to go to one of the best unis in the world, travel lots, seemingly having lots of good mates....but I guess vlogging your dog humping things, flogging crap, editing the filter label off every single selfie on instagram, religiously blocking strangers and tooting your own horn > anything actually fulfilling

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.