Grace Beverley #15 Rags to riches, shows off her stitches, bestseller on amazon witches

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In a 2016 op-ed in The Australian, 'young people' were generation-splained (mansplaining's wider-reaching sibling), with the assertion that if we all stopped eating avocado toast with 'crumbled feta' and a seemingly insulting 'five-grain toasted bread', we could buy houses instead."
Has she not called this a book for GenZ? Because this specific avocado toast thing was about millennials and she is lumping herself in with them here but absolutely no member of GenZ was buying or thinking about buying houses in 2016 (source: Im a begrudging older member of GenZ).

Reactions: 25
Grace's idea of 'working from 13' my multi millionaire parents friends wanted me to babysit their kids, so when they put them to bed, I went over and sat on the sofa and ate all their food in their £3million pound mansion and only got paid £25 an hour. They also had a live in nanny who did the majority of the work, but I did call to get her attention if something needed doing. Basically been hustling from tha GUTTAHH since a toddler.

The book and everything about it is absolutely despicable. An ode to self congratulations and announcement culture.

I wrote before how I've been much happier since cutting out things from social media that 'annoy' me. I unfollowed Grace a while ago and only come in here to read every so often, but I think im fully done. It sounds funny, but often times you 'hate watch' things or follow and they can really creep into your mind and get you down. I don't think any good can come from following an influencer like Grace and in 'who cares' news, I'd advise people, if they are feeling depressed or annoyed, to unfollow/block and give it a week.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
Interesting to see she's not really gained any followers since the launch, still net loss

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I just wish she/all the people who call her ‘boss babe’ / ‘most hard-working person i know’ etc etc would realise that the ONLY reason for the success of her businesses/book is her youtube following. Ok people might actually like the look of the tala leggings but they only know that tala exists in the first place because they used to watch grace on youtube & now follow her on insta. Maybe she does work as hard as she tries to make out that she does but in reality, if she hadn’t had the fans to begin with, her businesses would be nothing and no one would be reading her book🤷🏻‍♀️She’s desperate to drop the influencer title but that is what she is

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I will be deleting these soon but for anyone curious :

The intro

Some of her productivity tips

The part where she addresses her priviledge
I got so bored reading that. She doesn't write well, and all i can hear is her whiny Instagram story voice, very infuriating. Also, her grandfather was a literal multi-millionaire. If her business model collapsed and she burnt out, she has money to fall back on. Her parents aren't going to say "no, fend for yourself". It's the lack of accountability for me.

Side note. She's been on 1 mill followers for around 2 years now, maybe more? Has she stopped growing? Has she not realised that she's incredibly unrelatable yet?

Reactions: 26
That privilege acknowledgment just felt like classic "I'm not rich - my parents are" to me - as others have much more eloquently said here already, its nice to see an attempt at honesty about her background but it still reads as a very convenient twisting of the truth to support her overall point that her success comes from hard work.

Just reminds me of uni essays when you have to evaluate your sources and i'd basically just do a token "its important to note source X has been written by a girl born into generational wealth, nonetheless this is essentially MEANINGLESS compared to how great my point is; of COURSE her success comes purely from hard work" - just to tick that box on the marking scheme (hope this wasnt just me that did this..) 🤷‍♀️ 😂 😂

That privilege acknowledgment just felt like classic "I'm not rich - my parents are" to me - as others have much more eloquently said here already, its nice to see an attempt at honesty about her background but it still reads as a very convenient twisting of the truth to support her overall point that her success comes from hard work.

Just reminds me of uni essays when you have to evaluate your sources and i'd basically just do a token "its important to note source X has been written by a girl born into generational wealth, nonetheless this is essentially MEANINGLESS compared to how great my point is; of COURSE her success comes purely from hard work" - just to tick that box on the marking scheme (hope this wasnt just me that did this..) 🤷‍♀️ 😂 😂
I also think the whole scholarship thing is just unfair, they are aimed at people (however much/little it was) who really need them, someone whose parents are millionaires clearly is not that person, if anything the explanation of that made me more annoyed

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I also think the whole scholarship thing is just unfair, they are aimed at people (however much/little it was) who really need them, someone whose parents are millionaires clearly is not that person, if anything the explanation of that made me more annoyed
Yes this so strange to me, if you decide you have four kids you're gonna give them the best schooling possible right. Not make them fight for scholarships for private school. That's what my parents always did, invest in my futures, but the way she's phrasing it sounds like they barely took care of her

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Why does she go on and on about babysitting all of a sudden pls, didn’t she post a pic of the jar with all of her unspent “earnings” from it that she randomly found? So clearly didn’t need the money that much if she still has it 10 years later 🤣 she probably just went to her friends houses who happened to have younger siblings and is saying she’s grafted as a babysitter all her life

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Re the Sunday times bestseller list. I haven’t read the critic article yet, but am thinking given she ‘debuted’ there it was due to pre orders? Next week I bet she’ll fall down that list.
I wonder if that's why when she (and some other industry people) shared the announcement snippet they blocked out the words below "debuted atop"...

Reactions: 3
I’m still conflicted about the explicitly acknowledging privilege thing.

It’s important that achievements are put in their proper context but is it actually helpful, for example, for Grace to bring up that she went to Oxford? The UK is still deeply classist. She’s right that an Oxford education is a privilege but most people reading her confession will see ‘Oxford’ and hear intelligent, hardworking, from good stock, etc. Grace knows this and uses it to her advantage. How many times in the past has she brought up going to Oxford and Harvard as if going to Oxford or Harvard is itself evidence of her extraordinary intelligence and work ethic?

To be clear I’m not saying that she should keep quiet about her achievements or that graduating from Oxford (or anywhere) isn’t something to be proud of.

I’m not sure what it is I object to exactly but there is something about privileged people listing off their many privileges under the guise of being progressive (and stopping there) that I find uncomfortable.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It's interesting to me because when I was in academia the mark of a really good academic was someone who wrote clearly. Incredibly clever writers with genuinely novel ideas could express them simply. They didn't need to hide behind fancy flowery language or assertions hidden in brackets to qualify their sentences. They just expressed themselves well. I've always been envious of people who can do that!
Grace's absolute trash writing is anything but lucid and is so difficult to read. She couldn't be less clear. It just makes me think she is obscuring her lack of brainpower with absolute thesaurus vomit

• Heart
Reactions: 52
I’m still conflicted about the explicitly acknowledging privilege thing.

It’s important that achievements are put in their proper context but is it actually helpful, for example, for Grace to bring up that she went to Oxford? The UK is still deeply classist. She’s right that an Oxford education is a privilege but most people reading her confession will see ‘Oxford’ and hear intelligent, hardworking, from good stock, etc. Grace knows this and uses it to her advantage. How many times in the past has she brought up going to Oxford and Harvard as if going to Oxford or Harvard is itself evidence of her extraordinary intelligence and work ethic?

To be clear I’m not saying that she should keep quiet about her achievements or that graduating from Oxford (or anywhere) isn’t something to be proud of.

I’m not sure what it is I object to exactly but there is something about privileged people listing off their many privileges under the guise of being progressive (and stopping there) that I find uncomfortable.
I think the whole thing about privilege that there is no point in making a big show of ‘acknowledging’ it if you’re just going to use it to carry on perpetuating the same system that gave you that privilege in the first place.
She has never used her financial privilege to help uplift others who have far less of it than she does, yeah she might have shared a few BLM infographics on insta and maybe chucked a couple of grand to a few charities here and there, but thats as far as her altruism goes. For the most part, she used it to become a millionaire who couldn’t even do the bare minimum of not undepaying her staff. So yeah I guess that an acknowledgement of privilege means nothing if it’s coming from someone who has used theirs to become as wealthy as possible through exploiting others haha

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.