Grace Beverley #12 Full of conceit, called out in a tweet and boy is it sweet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The way that she reads sounds like the way that I read, which I do in the way I do bcos I'm used to reading for an academic setting. I'm usually super burnt out and rarely read books cover to cover because i don't need to for the information they give me. But the crucial thing is that I don't read fiction because of this, I don't pretend to be better than other people for reading a lot, and I certainly haven't written a book and then promoted it on the false pretence that I am an avid reader.

Reactions: 21
"I almost never read non-fiction books cover to cover (apart from memoirs) and I don’t necessarily think it’s important to (apart from my book, of course). Unless I’m particularly gripped by it, I find it a lot more digestible to read the introduction and first chapter or so to grasp the concept then pick up sections I’m particularly interested in"
I had to go to her post to check if she said the bolded bit as I thought you might be commenting on the inconsistent attitude she shows to reading books cover-to-cover, but nope, she actually said this. LOL I cannot

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
I had to go to her post to check if she said the bolded bit as I thought you might be commenting on the inconsistent attitude she shows to reading books cover-to-cover, but nope, she actually said this. LOL I cannot
Yes unfortunately it's a direct copy + paste :sick:

• Haha
Reactions: 2
If you had to ‘force feed’ yourself books I’d say you probably didn’t ‘love’ it. Honestly if I were her parents I would be asking these private schools for a refund 😓

• Haha
Reactions: 38
I kind of actually agree with Grace on skim-reading non-fiction – if I'm reading for a particular purpose, then I see no harm in skipping a chapter that obviously doesn't correspond to what I'm looking for. However, I do agree that it seems like a silly sentiment to portray when this is so obviously a post designed to market her own upcoming book 😅

Reactions: 19
I’m actually a bit shocked that she actually said that it’s not important to read non-fiction all the way through UnLeSs ItS mY bOoK!!!

Why though? Why is hers different??

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
I’m actually a bit shocked that she actually said that it’s not important to read non-fiction all the way through UnLeSs ItS mY bOoK!!!

Why though? Why is hers different??
Yeah, for me it’s what she said about her own book being different. Why does she genuinely think her book is “important” to read cover-to-cover? In singling out the entirety of her book as “important”, she categorises other books as unimportant.

I think it just says a lot about her attitude to other people’s ideas. She probably doesn’t know the writers whose work she’s reading - she won’t be exposed to their thoughts like we are to hers. So, she thinks she knows enough about people’s ideas and theories, before she has read about them, to assess their worth. Unless it’s clear that they’re vile or a load of rubbish, you shouldn’t really make a judgment on the merit of someone’s ideas without actually giving them a chance.

As always with Grace, she doesn’t differentiate between her personal preferences/interests and objective quality. It would have been different if she had said, “At the moment, I’m really interested in reading about XYZ and read passages of books relating to these topics”. Then if she’d said her book was all about XYZ, it would suggest she thinks it’d be an interesting cover-to-cover read that she’s proud of. But instead, she says it’s IMPORTANT to read it cover to cover, unlike other books.

I think it shines a bit of light on why she’s so ignorant - I wouldn’t be surprised if she just dismissed anything she ran into about meritocracy, privilege, feminism, greenwashing etc. that asked her to evaluate her behaviour or question her views. It also speaks to why she thinks people criticising her are committed to hating her, because she can’t see the merit in their ideas if they don’t match with her views.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
The way that she reads sounds like the way that I read, which I do in the way I do bcos I'm used to reading for an academic setting. I'm usually super burnt out and rarely read books cover to cover because i don't need to for the information they give me. But the crucial thing is that I don't read fiction because of this, I don't pretend to be better than other people for reading a lot, and I certainly haven't written a book and then promoted it on the false pretence that I am an avid reader.
Right? When I read for my PhD I don't read every chapter because I know going in that it won't be relevant but there's a difference between an academic book and a self help or motivational book...

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Didn't she say she wasn't going to be accepting adgifted meal boxes & asked they be donated instead? I'm so tired of this girl receiving seemingly endless gifted food

Reactions: 35
A tale of two halves
Ugh. If she acknowledges it at all she’ll just say it was sent unsolicited so she didn’t have notice to turn it down, and it would have been worse to let the food go to waste.

But if that truly is the case (and I’m just speculating here) then she should have told the company due to it being unsolicited she wasn’t going to feature it in a story or whatever, just sent them a private thank you.

Reactions: 22
It's so sickening that people who can afford to buy their own food get gifted it??? People are really struggling in this pandemic :(

And besides that, didn't she make recipes for Shreddy.....🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 39
she is complete and utter trash
she is so stingey, no wonder she has been able to make so much money if she spends so little as she is gifted everything. How you can complain you are left wing when you are really rich and taking money from businesses who may be struggling atm

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.