Giles Coren - offensive, diminutive, entitled

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Probably just me, but I had no idea Victoria was his sister 😆

I need a diagram for how all these people are connected. Doesn't take much to jump from Richard Ayoade to Sali Hughes fave person to target Dawn o'porter and Esther walkers sister is married to Alexander Armstrong who's pointless co-host Richard Osman called Sali Hughes the most lovely person ever and said tattle should be shut down🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I honestly dont understand how Giles Coren - whose behaviour on social media is abusive and cruel and would be prosecutable if he did this stuff face to face - still has such a seemingly good career, including a cushy presenting job with a BBC programme. How is this possible? It astounds me and just goes to show how far we still have to go in pushing back against misogyny, nepotism, ignorance and the elite enabling the elite.
Did anyone see that article he wrote about holidaying with his toddler daughter? It was one of the creepiest things I’ve read that wasn’t in a horror story. I can’t believe it was published, still.

• Heart
Reactions: 41

I need a diagram for how all these people are connected. Doesn't take much to jump from Richard Ayoade to Sali Hughes fave person to target Dawn o'porter and Esther walkers sister is married to Alexander Armstrong who's pointless co-host Richard Osman called Sali Hughes the most lovely person ever and said tattle should be shut down🙄
A good starting point would be Oxford/Cambridge.

Reactions: 25
He is such a boring writer too. Tries to be funny when hes not. He once wrote that he married Esther because she agreed to be a stay at home mum, when she was literally writing for The Times! As if her job was so insignificant it wasnt a job, yet she was doing the same job as him!

• Sad
Reactions: 18
He’s nasty. I can’t watch anything with him in it because he gives off horrendous vibes. I wasn’t surprised to see some of the things he’s said.

Reactions: 12
He is such a boring writer too. Tries to be funny when hes not. He once wrote that he married Esther because she agreed to be a stay at home mum, when she was literally writing for The Times! As if her job was so insignificant it wasnt a job, yet she was doing the same job as him!
I listened to a couple of their joint podcasts , I like Esther. He talked over her the whole way through and she just took it.

The tweets to Michael White were appalling 😡 but the ones about Paula Foster are really shocking.

Reactions: 10
This man obviously isn’t right in the head. Why the hell hasn’t he been ‘cancelled‘ for his behaviour when others have been for far less?

Reactions: 25
This man obviously isn’t right in the head. Why the hell hasn’t he been ‘cancelled‘ for his behaviour when others have been for far less?
Clearly his undeniable privilege gets him far 🙄. He really is grotesque, and reading some of the things he's said, definitely wired wrong. And this person has responsibility for children. I hope his wife is more stable 😕

Reactions: 19
My friend is a uni friend of Richard Ayoade who still crosses paths with him at times and he is a truly awesome guy. He (Richard) speaks really highly of David & Victoria so Giles is no doubt a twatty outlier from the clever and nice genes.
Phew - I couldn’t be happier that he’s a nice one, he did a radio show with his wife Lydia which was totally different from his TV persona but really interesting.
Re Giles - his sister Victoria is clearly far more intelligent and funny than he is.
But he does the hotel program with the wonderful Monica Galetti and they seem to get on so somehow he can turn off being obnoxious when he has to.

It is 6 degrees of north London. That Giles Coren has david Mitchell and Alexander armstrong as brothers in law is 😮

Reactions: 13
Phew - I couldn’t be happier that he’s a nice one, he did a radio show with his wife Lydia which was totally different from his TV persona but really interesting.
Re Giles - his sister Victoria is clearly far more intelligent and funny than he is.
But he does the hotel program with the wonderful Monica Galetti and they seem to get on so somehow he can turn off being obnoxious when he has to.

It is 6 degrees of north London. That Giles Coren has david Mitchell and Alexander armstrong as brothers in law is 😮
Giles coren is the lucky one to be linked to those 2

Reactions: 6
As she doesn’t have her own thread, just gonna leave this here. https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front...f-have-i-got-news-for-you-writer-7165319.html

It’s a link about a man called Harry Thompson, who cheated on his wife with the Coren that isn’t Giles or Alan. He’s scummy for cheating but it’s certainly not a good look on her either.
Goodness, didn't know that about Harry Thompson. He wrote This Thing of Darkness which is one of my favourite modern fiction books.

Just listening to Times Radio and Giles won't be presenting his usual Friday afternoon slot today. Hope they get rid permanently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
I cancelled my Times subscription a few days ago because I can’t stomach contributing to Giles Coren’s salary. The person on the phone had a script apologising on behalf of The Times that they were reading from as apparently so many people were cancelling their subscriptions. They also offered me 90% off for 6 months, but I said no. I said I’d resubscribe when they no longer had Giles Coren on the masthead.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I cancelled my Times subscription a few days ago because I can’t stomach contributing to Giles Coren’s salary. The person on the phone had a script apologising on behalf of The Times that they were reading from as apparently so many people were cancelling their subscriptions. They also offered me 90% off for 6 months, but I said no. I said I’d resubscribe when they no longer had Giles Coren on the masthead.
I did this too. I’m also wondering whether to complain to the BBC - I don’t see why he should continue to be on the box. It suggests his behaviour is ok, when it’s really not.

Reactions: 18
So pleased we have a Giles Coren thread.

I think of all the privileged, arrogant, waste of space tossers who seem to continue to thrive in UK media despite being totally horrendous, he is the worst. The apex of Oxbridge tosserdom.

I find Esther intolerable too. Not because she’s a nasty person like her husband, but she is equally smug, a bit Stepford Wife at times (in a North London posho way) and well, she married Giles so either she is secretly as odious as he is or she has no backbone.

I cancelled my Times subscription over India Knight, but I wish I could re-cancel over Giles! I still actually read it sometimes via Apple News, so maybe I should cancel that? (I don’t want to though, it’s great)

Re: Victoria, yes she is definitely a far nicer person than Giles (understatement), but she rubs me the wrong way.

She thinks she is smarter than she is, or rather people hold her up as an example of a very clever person, when really she is just privileged and had a great education and a lot of opportunity. She’s not a great mind. I feel she is the female Stephen Fry in that sense - people worship them just because they’re privileged and posh and say the odd sensible thing (but mostly what they say is total guff).

I need to know why someone thinks Giles slept with Sue Perkins?!! I didn’t watch much of their show. Is it a joke that’s gone over my head? Sue is gay and I’d love to think she was distancing herself from Giles as soon as the cameras stopped rolling!

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I did this too. I’m also wondering whether to complain to the BBC - I don’t see why he should continue to be on the box. It suggests his behaviour is ok, when it’s really not.
I think I will complain to the BBC too. Apparently Giles is currently filming in Iceland for that Amazing Hotels programme. I’m not really happy about my license fee contributing to the salary of someone who abuses dead women either.

I have to sit through my daughters’ two hour street dance rehearsal later. A perfect time to complain about GC.

Here is the link for complaints to the BBC in case anyone else wants to complain: https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.