Ghosts - BBC

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was reluctant to watch the final episode as I saw a lot of negative comments on social media but I liked the ending. I just wished the episode was longer as it all felt very rushed at the end.

Reactions: 10
I was reluctant to watch the final episode as I saw a lot of negative comments on social media but I liked the ending. I just wished the episode was longer as it all felt very rushed at the end.
My main bugbear with the episode was that it didn't make me laugh. The humour was lacking.
The plot (or lack of it) wouldn't have mattered if it was funny.

Reactions: 7
My main bugbear with the episode was that it didn't make me laugh. The humour was lacking.
I agree. the only time I laughed was when Kitty let out the huge burp.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Did anyone else not remember this?

View attachment 2653317
Awwww, how lovely 💕
---
OK so my view might be slightly different to some here. I thought the ending was perfect. I had a baby this year and it really struck for me as showing how exhausting, overwhelming and ultimately lonely in a crowded room motherhood can be. I think that more than explains why Alison wasn't quite herself. The ghosts all giving their thoughts on how to raise, how to settle, how to wind, whatever the baby and waking her up from naps made me feel so sad and frustrated for Alison (and Mike to some extent). Didn't love the overbearing mother in law trope but you know what, that's pretty realistic too.

I missed most of the ending as I was bawling from them getting in the car to drive away. Was there some significance to the room they stayed in?
Exactly this. Most new parents just have their immediate family offering their ‘help’ (and driving them insane in the process). Mike and Alison had the overwhelm of new parenthood, an overbearing mother-in-law plus a additional troupe of involved/interfering parties to contend with.

Of course Alison wasn’t interacting with the ghosts in the same way as usual: she was preoccupied with keeping a tiny human alive and thriving. Nothing is the same after you’ve had a baby: your time and energy are directed elsewhere, and your priorities, goals and needs all become different too.
It was never going to be the same as before, just with a side-order of baby.

Last edited:
I definitely recommend listening to the podcast, it certainly gave me food for thought

• Heart
Reactions: 4
A bit of a weird episode. I think it was the correct ending but it was a bit rushed. It didn't have the impact on me I had hoped for.

Yes ! this is exactly how I felt.

It's SO hard to find the funny in being a struggling, new first time mum with in law's making you feel like you're not getting it right 😥

I wouldn't of been against the final episode showing Mia around 2 years old with Alison and Mike maybe in their stride and the Ghosts being more central to the story just for that last episode (maybe a whole series 6 could of shown the realities and difficulties of new parents and old house struggles)
I think i just wanted a lot of Fanny joy on Christmas day .

Reactions: 9
I've just seen this review in The Guardian which I think, for me, sums it up. I especially like this line .... 'Ghosts, thoughtful and kind to the end, has quietly said goodbye.'

That upset me more than the episode 😭😅
I did enjoy the part where the "exorcism " takes place and Alison takes a deep breath when she realises they are still there. But I agree, the episode was a little rushed. Too much mother in law and not enough of the ghosts themselves.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It was a functional ending, if that makes sense. It just rounded off the series.

The most I have ever cried was the Christmas Special with Pat. OMG, that had me bawling.

Reactions: 18
It was a functional ending, if that makes sense. It just rounded off the series.

The most I have ever cried was the Christmas Special with Pat. OMG, that had me bawling.
Me too - I was an absolute wreck! Pat’s family always sets me off; the one where he sees his grandchild finishes me off every time too 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Reactions: 8
I rewatched that one a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely sobbed! Pat has always been my favourite, he’s so funny and the most relatable too.
I think his story is so emotional, because all of the other ghosts would be dead by now (apart from Julian, but I can’t empathise with a Tory 😆) but Pat should still be with his family and living his best life as a granddad.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I rewatched that one a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely sobbed! Pat has always been my favourite, he’s so funny and the most relatable too.
I think his story is so emotional, because all of the other ghosts would be dead by now (apart from Julian, but I can’t empathise with a Tory 😆) but Pat should still be with his family and living his best life as a granddad.
That's one episode I just can't rewatch, it's brutal. I sobbed so much!

Reactions: 4
I agree! I love the Thomas being Scottish and Robin "Lord Knows Who?" scenes in series 5, but I think for me that's about all which is really sad as I love the show sooooo much
Yup! I can't think of one great episode, especially in comparison to all the other series. It felt like it had no heart left

Reactions: 1
I think we were at a point where everyone was going to be left disappointed in some way, by any ending. When I love a show with the depth I love this one (it's probably not normal tbh) I have to just place my faith that the writers have a plan. Especially this one, where it's always the same team. I didn't want another season of scrimping and saving, I just wanted everyone to be happy.
And now we have scope for a spin off set in the hotel where the Ghosts do an epic social commentary via podcast.

Reactions: 3
I didn't want another season of scrimping and saving, I just wanted everyone to be happy.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot since I watched it: even before the baby, Mike & Alison were struggling to do justice to the house and restore it or make it a viable business.

By selling Button House to the hoteliers, they ensured that it was fully renovated and preserved, and it had a future, whereas if they’d stayed it would have fallen into greater disrepair and they’d eventually have had to move out anyway.

So the ghosts, Mike & Alison & baby, and the house all got to move onto a happy future.

• Heart
Reactions: 11