Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

StephenTJackson

VIP Member

As sad as I am about this, I am a big fan of shows going out at their best rather than flogging it into mediocrity. Always leave the viewers wanting more.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
It made no sense for Alison and Mike to move away when she can see ghosts everywhere. The storyline was rather poor and I guess that's why the series has ended because they were out of ideas 😪

But the ghosts that Alison sees everywhere aren’t enmeshed in her family situation in the same way that the Button House ghosts are.

They didn’t suggest she leave in order to never see a ghost again, they suggested she leave because she & Mike needed to raise their family without constant input from a collection of over-involved ‘aunties and uncles’.

I thought it was the best possible ending. I don’t know how have it could have ended that would have been equally as ‘final’ without being tragic in some way.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Fanny Muchmore

VIP Member
I don't know how true this is, but apparently when Simon Farnarby filmed the Paddington sketch with the Queen, someone overheard her quipping 'he's got trousers on today'. The Queen watched Ghosts, which is everything 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

CoffeeMamma

VIP Member
I have to say- Katy Wix exit led to an episode which is just one of my favourite pieces of TV… ever. The whole reflection on grief is just absolutely perfect and I can’t even discuss the episode without dissolving into tears, sounds OTT but I lost a friend 9 years ago and I was still very angry and bitter about his death, I found that episode genuinely healing.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

DigiDuino

Has anyone else been watching this? A comedy from the creators of Horrible Histories.

Best comedy in years for me! Absolutely hilarious, the past couple of episodes have been total quality.

I'm going to be very sad when it's over tonight, so glad there's a Christmas special coming!

Reactions: 20

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Ghosts always hits hard in the feels, but always nails the balance between breaking your heart, warming your heart and being funny to the perfect level.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Lalla

VIP Member
But the ghosts that Alison sees everywhere aren’t enmeshed in her family situation in the same way that the Button House ghosts are.

They didn’t suggest she leave in order to never see a ghost again, they suggested she leave because she & Mike needed to raise their family without constant input from a collection of over-involved ‘aunties and uncles’.

I thought it was the best possible ending. I don’t know how have it could have ended that would have been equally as ‘final’ without being tragic in some way.
I thought it was a really good ending too, and I loved the plague ghosts getting something nice after hundreds of years stuck in the dark cellar 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 19

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
It was a functional ending, if that makes sense. It just rounded off the series.

The most I have ever cried was the Christmas Special with Pat. OMG, that had me bawling.

Reactions: 18

ElectricDreams

VIP Member
I think it was the perfect ending, not the one I wanted necessarily, but the one that needed to happen. I like the idea that Alison and Mike went back to visit and the plague ghosts got a happy ending!

• Heart

Some People!

Chatty Member
Semi-serious question...
Do Americans watch British TV with great writing and characterisation and think like... "Why the unnecessary subtlety?? Why the over-long slow burn? Tell me everything about everyone immediately!!"....?

• Haha

SkinkaareFan

VIP Member
Gutted it's over.

I hated and loved the ending. It was a beautiful ending but it's heartbreaking to think they didn't see eachother everyday but the fact they went back every year had me bawling.

As someone else said, I don't think we'd have been happy with any ending because we don't want to say goodbye but as endings go it was pretty decent.

Reactions: 17

HannahC

I’ve been thinking about this a lot since I watched it: even before the baby, Mike & Alison were struggling to do justice to the house and restore it or make it a viable business.

By selling Button House to the hoteliers, they ensured that it was fully renovated and preserved, and it had a future, whereas if they’d stayed it would have fallen into greater disrepair and they’d eventually have had to move out anyway.

So the ghosts, Mike & Alison & baby, and the house all got to move onto a happy future.
And think of how much entertainment the ghosts will have now! They'll never be bored! TVs to watch, a golf course, all the people watching (and judging!) they can do. They'll be in their element! And Alison will have a much healthier relationship with the ghosts now she's not responsible for them and can just visit them like an extended family.

• Heart

sistersofpercy

VIP Member
That made no sense. Alison left in season one and came back because she saw ghosts wherever she went.
Wherever she goes she sees ghosts so why would she leave the most familiar ones for presumably new ones in a new house. Makes no sense.
Disappointed.

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
OK so my view might be slightly different to some here. I thought the ending was perfect. I had a baby this year and it really struck for me as showing how exhausting, overwhelming and ultimately lonely in a crowded room motherhood can be. I think that more than explains why Alison wasn't quite herself. The ghosts all giving their thoughts on how to raise, how to settle, how to wind, whatever the baby and waking her up from naps made me feel so sad and frustrated for Alison (and Mike to some extent). Didn't love the overbearing mother in law trope but you know what, that's pretty realistic too.

I missed most of the ending as I was bawling from them getting in the car to drive away. Was there some significance to the room they stayed in?

• Heart

emeraldopal

It's really irritating me how some outlets are reporting that its been 'axed' when the creators literally put out a statement saying they came to the decision themselves that the fifth season would be the last

IllBredHen

How are we all feeling about the final series?

I just wanted to write this somewhere. I hope you don't mind or judge. I'm reading so many things on FB where people are speculating that Alison and Mike will have a baby in the final series. Some of the spoilers make it sound they will. "A big life changing news" etc.

I really hope they don't.

I'm going through fertility shit / losses etc and have been searching for our baby for nearly 7 years now. It's so unusual to have a series that isn't triggering and where they show a happy and complete couple without a baby being at the centre of their desires / world. I love that and it's definitely subconsciously been part of why I return to watching this series so often. I don't want to lose that and I hope they're wrong.

Martha Howe Douglas (Fanny Button) - the only woman of the 6 writers - is a childless, successful and happy mature woman. Childless by choice or by circumstance is unclear and irrelevant. I had thought maybe she was portraying this happy and fulfilling relationship without children for whatever reason you are in that situation for on purpose. I hope they stick to it. It's subtle but powerful for so many people like me. A safe space on the television where you know you won't be triggered. It may seem a small thing to some, but a huge thing for people like me ❤

It also seems like the premise, humour and heart of the show doesn't need that to happen. It would be tokenistic. Why can't they continue as they are? The 2 of them? (And all the ghosts 👻)

Thanks for reading and sorry for dumping my thoughts here ❤

• Heart

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
I just found and binged the whole 5 series over the last few days. The only thing I want now is for Robin to take me on a champagne date on The Strand and to touch my bum.

• Haha