Getting out of a lease

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can anyone give me any advice about ending a lease early? I've caught my boyfriend on dating sites numerous times and 2 months after we have moved in together I have caught him again. I'm a bleeping mug. He's not on the lease, it's just in my name only but it's my first time renting and I'm not sure if I could get out of it early or not??

Sorry that's a bit garbled I'm just not doing well.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think with rentals now you just need to give the landlord 1 months notice to leave so it is more in the tenants favour. (I'm in Scotland though so this may be different elsewhere) Check what your contract states , speak to your landlord and citizens advice. Sorry to hear about your boyfriend, what a dick. Better off without him.

Reactions: 1
Can anyone give me any advice about ending a lease early? I've caught my boyfriend on dating sites numerous times and 2 months after we have moved in together I have caught him again. I'm a bleeping mug. He's not on the lease, it's just in my name only but it's my first time renting and I'm not sure if I could get out of it early or not??

Sorry that's a bit garbled I'm just not doing well.
Check the rental agreement to see if it includes a break clause.

Hey. Are you in England? Is it an assured shorthold tenancy? What’s the term. Also does your bf know you want to leave? Sorry for all the questions... if it’s in England I can help. PM me if you want (if you don’t want to give details out here )

Omg I didn’t read it properly sorry. If the Tenancy is in your name only he’s technically a lodger so you can kick him out and change the locks

Omg I didn’t read it properly sorry. If the Tenancy is in your name only he’s technically a lodger so you can kick him out and change the locks
Yeah but the rent is still the same and might just be too much for 1 person.

How long was the original tenancy agreement you signed? If it was 6 months unfortunately you are contractually bound to another 4 months, unless the landlord is particularly nice and will release you early. It's worth asking at least.

Kick out the boyfriend. If it's a 2 bed could you get a lodger to help out with the rent?

How long was the original tenancy agreement you signed? If it was 6 months unfortunately you are contractually bound to another 4 months, unless the landlord is particularly nice and will release you early. It's worth asking at least.

Kick out the boyfriend. If it's a 2 bed could you get a lodger to help out with the rent?

Yes you are stuck there if it's a 6/12 month contract however what you could try is explaining the situation to the landlord and offering to cover his costs to re-let and stay until someone else can move in. You might have to pay a couple of hundred for advertising, new inventory and contracts for the new tennant but would be cheaper in the long run than another say 10 months of your contract

ETA definitely chuck the BF out. Change the locks while he's out, nice surprise for him x all the best x

I would kick him out but it's not as simple as that unfortunately. He will make a fuss and try to take our animals which will put them on the street too if he doesn't have anywhere immediate to live. I moved to a different part of the country for his work and I don't want to live here on my own as there is nothing here for me. No family or friends. It's a 1 bedroom so a lodger is not an option.

I never wanted this to happen. I don't want to leave him. But he lies and denies all knowledge and makes excuses instead of just admitting that he actually did something wrong and I can't cope with it. He will 100% do it again.

Hey. Are you in England? Is it an assured shorthold tenancy? What’s the term. Also does your bf know you want to leave? Sorry for all the questions... if it’s in England I can help. PM me if you want (if you don’t want to give details out here )
Thank you ❤ I am in England. What can you advise?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that.

Perhaps you can talk to your landlord and ask if you can find replacement tenants? I am on a Facebook group that advertises rooms etc in London and a few adverts are posted by people who are moving due to Covid and looking for someone else to take up the lease.

Or there might be something in your contract about a break clause where you can give a month's notice to move. Although as posted above me have said, you might need to have been there for six months or so before giving notice.

I'd be concerned that he's made you move across country, put the apartment lease in your name, he's still using dating apps. All this is huge red flags. You are right, he won't change. He's not shown an ounce of commitment at all. He's actually trapped you there with him away from all your friends and family.

how long have you been together if you have animals together? I thought from your post this was a recent relationship since you are not long into the lease.

so sorry you're faced with this 😢 not sure what I'd do in the same situation. I wouldn't want to stay but I wouldn't want to be faced with paying the rent on my own in a place I didn't want to live. If you can't trust him it's going to cause you so much stress for the remainder of your relationship if you don't break it off with him.

Reactions: 8
I'm sorry to hear that.

Perhaps you can talk to your landlord and ask if you can find replacement tenants? I am on a Facebook group that advertises rooms etc in London and a few adverts are posted by people who are moving due to Covid and looking for someone else to take up the lease.

Or there might be something in your contract about a break clause where you can give a month's notice to move. Although as posted above me have said, you might need to have been there for six months or so before giving notice.
I will look on Facebook to see if there are any groups and talk to my landlord tomorrow. Unfortunately seeing as my boyfriend is here today I cannot really do much.

I will look on Facebook to see if there are any groups and talk to my landlord tomorrow. Unfortunately seeing as my boyfriend is here today I cannot really do much.
Yes, I think the best thing to do for now is talk to your landlord and come to some sort of agreement. Perhaps if you can find a replacement you can end your lease early.

Have you asked your boyfriend to leave the house? You said he was there, is he collecting his things? If you can wait until tomorrow that's okay, if you want to do it asap and not in front of your boyfriend is there a way you can take a little walk and call your landlord?

I'd be concerned that he's made you move across country, put the apartment lease in your name, he's still using dating apps. All this is huge red flags. You are right, he won't change. He's not shown an ounce of commitment at all. He's actually trapped you there with him away from all your friends and family.

how long have you been together if you have animals together? I thought from your post this was a recent relationship since you are not long into the lease.

so sorry you're faced with this 😢 not sure what I'd do in the same situation. I wouldn't want to stay but I wouldn't want to be faced with paying the rent on my own in a place I didn't want to live. If you can't trust him it's going to cause you so much stress for the remainder of your relationship if you don't break it off with him.
There are reasons that the lease is in my name. Mostly because he is an illegal immigrant and does not have official ID or a bank account (I know, it just gets worse and worse but love makes you an idiot).

I feel so alone here. We have been together a year and a half and were living together previously through lockdown in a shared house that he was living in when I met him. One of the animals was from that house and one we have bought together. He will try and take the first one for sure and I cannot have it put in that situation so I need to take the animals and move out first if that makes sense.

He is gaslighting me and taking no responsibility for his actions. Telling me he doesn't know what I'm doing everyday and that he wants to look at my phone. Basically turning this all around on me and making it my fault. I know the easiest thing would be to just walk out right now and not look back but it's really not that simple.

I am also ill with a bad chest infection which has left me unable to walk across the room without getting severely out of breath so even if I wanted to pack up I couldn't. It's such a mess it's unbelievable.

Yes, I think the best thing to do for now is talk to your landlord and come to some sort of agreement. Perhaps if you can find a replacement you can end your lease early.

Have you asked your boyfriend to leave the house? You said he was there, is he collecting his things? If you can wait until tomorrow that's okay, if you want to do it asap and not in front of your boyfriend is there a way you can take a little walk and call your landlord?
Tomorrow is safest for me. I can wait one more night. It's mostly about the animals and their safety. He knows he needs to go but doesn't know if I can break the contract or not and he doesn't currently have anywhere to go so I want to give him a bit of time to find somewhere. He has mightily fucked me over but I don't just want to put him out on the street.

If your in England and have a standard tenancy your boyfriend is technically a sitting tenant and your landlord would probably not be happy with that. But I’ve just read that he is an illegal immigrant with no papers, landlords have a duty to check tenants are legally allowed to be in the UK. I would be very careful how you word wanting out to your landlord.

I regards to getting out of the lease, technically no you have agreed to the 6 months so your stuck but you maybe to able to assign it if you can get someone else to move in or agree to get your boyfriend to take it over. Alternatively you can only ask your landlord. My parents had a couple who split after 3 months and they agreed to let them out early. You will probably need to give at least one months notice.

Check your lease it might have a break clause allowing you to end the lease after 3 months (most 12 month leases have a clause after 6 months).

If your boyfriend was living with you he should have been noted on the lease as a lodger if the Landlord knew he was living there.

Can you speak to your landlord and see whether he will transfer the lease into your partners name? Or ask if he will let you break the lease (he might charge you for this)

Keep us up to date, tread carefully. You need to keep yourself safe, that's good you are okay with waiting a few more days. I'd be worried about how it all pans out as he seems to be quite the manipulator from the scenarios you have already described.

Things happen and this is when you learn life lessons and where take more care in future. I hope you have someone in real life you can confide in.

If he is an illegal, can you not call the police to get him picked up?!! He will be out the way and won't be able to do owt with the animals and gives you a bit of breathing space.

(Am I being a totally OTT harsh cow?!!)

Reactions: 14
The one thing I really need to do is talk to my family and get their help when I can. Lockdown has not helped this situation either.

If he is an illegal, can you not call the police to get him picked up?!! He will be out the way and won't be able to do owt with the animals and gives you a bit of breathing space.

(Am I being a totally OTT harsh cow?!!)
That's definitely an option but I want that to be a last resort and hopefully only involve the police if I need to. I also work for the police myself (not a police officer) and I don't want my dirty laundry aired to my colleagues who would be likely to see any investigations/arrests against him. Despite all his crappy behaviour I can't put him through it.

• Wow