Getting out of a lease

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have always been able to get out of mine with giving a month's notice.
However, you have to be careful if he isn't down as living there at all as they are not happy with this normally at all. You're supposed to make them aware of anyone living in the property.

Reactions: 1
There are a lot of other problems with the flat itself that I could cite as reasons. There is a large amount of damp and mould appearing which is causing me health problems. I dunno. I'm tired and ill and so sad and broken I can't cope with it all.

• Sad
There are a lot of other problems with the flat itself that I could cite as reasons. There is a large amount of damp and mould appearing which is causing me health problems. I dunno. I'm tired and ill and so sad and broken I can't cope with it all.
Have you gone to the CAB? They should be able to help you with the contract :)

Can anyone give me any advice about ending a lease early? I've caught my boyfriend on dating sites numerous times and 2 months after we have moved in together I have caught him again. I'm a bleeping mug. He's not on the lease, it's just in my name only but it's my first time renting and I'm not sure if I could get out of it early or not??

Sorry that's a bit garbled I'm just not doing well.
Hi, firstly sorry to hear your boyfriend has been a grade a head.

Secondly, are you still in the initial fixed term of your agreement. If so you could only end your tenancy if landlord agrees and potentially they can charge you for costs or make you carry on paying rent until a new tenant is found.

If you are now in the rolling part of the tenancy all you need to do is give 1 months written notice before the date you pay rent. So say your rent day is 1st of Dec, give notice by 31st and then you give back keys on 31st December.

I am a chartered surveyor so used to do lots of these things.

However as the tenancy is in your name he has no right to be in the property and so you do not have to leave (and technically if landlord hadn't given you permission for him to be there you are in breach of your agreement anyway).

Give me a shout if you need any help.

Take your animals and leave, go home to your family and friends. Then contact your landlord and citizens advice and work to sort out the best possible solution.

Your safety and well-being are paramount above any contract. I understand money can be an issue, but it will be the same issue whether you are in the location of the flat, or elsewhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Sorry to bombard you with more questions but... Are you currently working where you’ve moved to and could you cope with the rent by yourself for a couple of months until you resolve this situation? If so, I’d seek some advice on how best to resolve it in a way that saves you money/does not impact your credit rating or ability to rent another flat. Others have mentioned CAB. If you work for the Police there may be an employee helpline you can call as well for advice.

Depending on the pets you have, you may be able to get them temporarily re-homed. A friend got her cat put into foster care for 3 months whilst she dealt with a similar situation. You sign over temporary custodianship so no one will get rid of the animals. You can then get them back, or if circumstances change they will work with you to get them re-homed.

Aside from the fact your boyfriend has been talking to other women (and possibly doing more besides), he’s put you in a terrible situation with potential financial burden and with your employers given he has no legal right to be in the country. It also sounds like he’s manipulative and you sound really tired and worn down which means this might have been going on for longer than you can even remember.

Please seek some advice and if you can reach out to your friends/family. You don’t have to tell them everything but if a friend or family member was in this situation I’d want to know so I could help. Good luck.

Reactions: 2
I'm sorry I haven't replied to anyone. I've been very ill and been admitted to hospital. I've only been replying to the more lighthearted threads on here because I'm struggling to think about everything. My family are about 50 miles away which isn't too far. The saddest thing is I don't want to leave him. I know I have to. I don't have much choice. But I don't want to.

I'm sorry I haven't replied to anyone. I've been very ill and been admitted to hospital. I've only been replying to the more lighthearted threads on here because I'm struggling to think about everything. My family are about 50 miles away which isn't too far. The saddest thing is I don't want to leave him. I know I have to. I don't have much choice. But I don't want to.
Oh @Sazbee I'm sorry you are ill. Have you been able to speak to any of your family yet? Even to let them know where you are? I completely understand that you love him and want to stay in the relationship but you deserve so much better. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

@Sazbee you poor thing, I hope you get well soon. It can be hard to walk away from a relationship, even when you know it’s the right thing to do. If you still love someone, you can’t switch those feelings off, but at some point your survival instincts need to kick in - this relationship is not making you happy and it sounds like it’s making you quite unwell.

It may sound like a cliche, but it will get better and in time you’ll look back on this time and realise that you’re a lot stronger than maybe you give yourself credit for.

Oh @Sazbee I'm sorry you are ill. Have you been able to speak to any of your family yet? Even to let them know where you are? I completely understand that you love him and want to stay in the relationship but you deserve so much better. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
@Sazbee you poor thing, I hope you get well soon. It can be hard to walk away from a relationship, even when you know it’s the right thing to do. If you still love someone, you can’t switch those feelings off, but at some point your survival instincts need to kick in - this relationship is not making you happy and it sounds like it’s making you quite unwell.

It may sound like a cliche, but it will get better and in time you’ll look back on this time and realise that you’re a lot stronger than maybe you give yourself credit for.
Thank you both. I'm doing better now I'm in hospital. Weirdly it's actually the best place to think about things. My family know where I am and some of the situation. I know you are both right and it will get better. I was with someone else for 6 years who did similar to me. Then another for 4 years who emotionally abused me so I know I can get out and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Think I'm just so desperate to be happy.

Sometimes that’s why we allow ourselves to put up with things that we’d tell our friends to run a mile from, ignore red flags, listen to words that don’t match actions. Happiness shouldn’t come with conditions. Keep your chin up and focus on getting better x

• Heart
Reactions: 2