Gavin and Stacey

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This probably sounds so obvious as I know we have moved on 10 years!! but I found it so weird watching with such good camera quality! Absolutley loved it though and have watched 4 times since!!

Reactions: 6
I‘m still not sure if I liked it or not. I enjoyed it, I thought it was funny, I didn’t mind the callbacks to the other series but at the same time it felt a bit... forced, like they don’t quite gel now. Maybe because it’s been so long since the series ended?
I love that it was left open ended. And I mean I fully blubbed! I can’t actually see them doing a series 4, I think they’ll just tease us and leave it like that - I mean, that’s how series 3 ended 🤷🏻‍♀️ - but I would love it if they did. Maybe not a whole series but a Christmas special next year.

Couldn’t stand Sonia, what a rude witch! 😂 god I was ITCHING watching her but I do like how it showed that they’re so closely knit together - the outsider perspective!

Reactions: 3
Loved it! Loved be ending, maybe because I’d had a few baileys by that point.
My other half thought it was crap and had no laughs at all.
I didn’t think Sonia was that bad, apart from the fat club comments she didn’t do anything unreasonable.
Bryn was the high light for me. Rob Brydons hair transplant makes him look 10 years younger than in the last series. Love his enthusiasm and naivety, very endearing.
I can’t see them finding the time to do another series, but fingers crossed for a wedding special!

Reactions: 2
- there wasn’t one reference to an omelette, I would of loved for baby Neal to of been a fussy eater and only eats omelettes, considering it pretty much all his mum eat whilst pregnant, I think it would of tied the stories together!
Gwen was serving up an omelette for Jason on Christmas morning, when Bryn comes rushing in to cook the turkey because he overslept. I appreciated the subtlety of that rather than a direct reference.

1577457953897.png

Reactions: 23
I agree with lots of the points that a lot of it was forced and the references a bit laboured but I knew it would be like that, these things always are. I even posted something along those lines in this thread a few weeks ago.

It did have its moments tho - as always with Gavin and Stacey, in the smaller things.
“Budgie’s a grandad” 😂 that tickled me.

The dawn and Pete stuff was very silly - but so well acted I half let them off. Julia Davis is a genius. Her “oh my Pete” is always so funny. I’m laughing now thinking about it. And when Pete turned up on the doorstep knowing she was there as it was clearly the 900th time that was well done too.

The service station chat was good, very g and s but a little knowingly so, didn’t feel as natural as that sort of thing used to.
And Sonia I like the idea of - as others have said, having an outside character who doesn’t get it was like a viewer who has never watched the show, it relies so much on inside jokes. So a good idea. The execution wasn’t great tho, once again.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned the fairytale of New York performance. I found that quite funny, the contrast between the two of them.

Not sure what I think of the ending. It was a good cliffhanger. And I just about buy her proposing to him - I don’t know that she’d do it like that tho. Maybe a minor quibble. I think I’m going to re watch it.

Reactions: 4
I enjoyed it, my only criticism of it was that they over forced some of the jokes and references to funny bits of the previous series and a few of the jokes didn’t land quite right as a result for me. But overall, I enjoyed it.
When I saw the clip of the robot dance I thought that looked forced. It was funny the first time but not so sure it would be now.

It was fine, but I'd of been just as happy with a repeat.

Something reassuring about seeing old characters but even though it ended on a cliffhanger I'm not particularly fussed about another episode. The entertainment industry is full of reboots and remakes as they'd rather something mediocre than risk money on something they could flop. I can't think of any new good British comedy's in the last few years.
Sex Education is good. Although not a pure comedy.

The entertainment industry is full of reboots and remakes as they'd rather something mediocre than risk money on something they could flop. I can't think of any new good British comedy's in the last few years.
This country is worth checking out! It has Gavin and Stacey esque elements in finding the humour of small mundane parts of British life, so you may like it... I think it’s very funny Should be on the iplayer
Oh and I agree sex education is good (though I think this is better 😉)

Agree about the reboot/ sequel culture. It’s even worse in films. They are almost always awful and pointless. But streaming services have been good for taking on more original films, so there is hope. Sorry for going off topic...

This country is worth checking out! It has Gavin and Stacey esque elements in finding the humour of small mundane parts of British life, so you may like it... I think it’s very funny Should be on the iplayer
Oh and I agree sex education is good (though I think this is better 😉)

Agree about the reboot/ sequel culture. It’s even worse in films. They are almost always awful and pointless. But streaming services have been good for taking on more original films, so there is hope. Sorry for going off topic...
Ah thanks, I needed some good recommendations!

There must be good stuff out there with how affordable it is to make video content and streaming services chucking money at chances.

Just watched the first episode and I'd forgotten how good it was - the oap neighbour saying at most get fingered on the first date but don't sell the farm 😂 uncle brin and the rape alarm scenarios 😂

Reactions: 1
I loved the Christmas special, apart from some of the Dawn/Pete bit. Dawn looked like she's had fillers put in and actually looked younger not 10 years older

Reactions: 3
I know there's been lots of talk of Dawn and her fillers but I actually thought it was in character. It wouldn't have been out of place for Pamela to have looked a bit more plastic too, I see lots of women that age with fillers IRL, it's hardly unusual nowadays.

Reactions: 13
It was ok not great IMO and like Yel said I would have been happy with a repeat. It wasn't as good as The Christmas 2008 special but I didn't expect it to be if Im honest. Its a shame Dave coaches wasn't in it I like him and I didn't like the ending.

I bloody loved it!! Laugh out loud moments throughout, the past few months have been tit with the election and the financial worry a lot of had with christmas etc mother in laws and parents being painful, it was light relief for me!!

Reactions: 8
For me it seemed unrealistic that Nessa would propose as she’s always been hard faced and void of any emotion or feelings, it just didn’t seem true to character
I agree didn't seem like a thing Nessa would do AT ALL. I think it would have been better if she had just said 'I love you I do' and left it at that. Also I wouldn't be bothered about a fourth series.

Reactions: 1
I agree didn't seem like a thing Nessa would do AT ALL. I think it would have been better if she had just said 'I love you I do' and left it at that. Also I wouldn't be bothered about a fourth series.
I think Nessa had softened a good bit in the Christmas special. She wasn't her usual self in a way. I liked it though. So I reckon she probably would have proposed like that now 🤷

Reactions: 5
I think Nessa is a softie at heart. In the previous series, eg when Smithy was upset that baby Neil had already received a football shirt from Dave Coaches, you could see she was sad seeing his reaction. I loved their exchange about money in the Christmas special.

Reactions: 12
Maybe motherhood has softened her.
I think so. Also, age can soften you, make you more patient and appreciative. I think the 11 months Smithy was with Sonia may have made her realise how much she missed him.

Reactions: 7