Gaslighting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you. I am proud of myself as I've overcome a lot. I had a stroke a few years ago whilst I was with him, I was only 26, I recovered from that so I'll recover from this. My parents despise him so getting them to liaise with him instead would turn in to world war 3 and his parents are no longer around so I have to deal with him by myself unfortunately.
It sounds like you have had it extremely tough the last few years. But you have shown how resilient you are.
My parents also hate my ex but my dad drops my son off and collects him ( He doesnt want to but this was decided in court) I have no contact at all as I have a restraining order and my current boyfriend writes emails etc.
Is there anybody who will help you. Due to the abuse my ex has limited access. Do you have set times etc so apart from dealing with him once a week you have no other contact?

Am I going mad?
I’ve been with my partner for almost 8 years officially, unofficially almost 11 but shortly after we started seeing each other (I was 18) he started a relationship with someone else for 2 years, in that time he wouldn’t let me move on, he’d make threats that if I started seeing anyone else we’d never see each other again - obviously I went with it as I was mad about him. Anyway he ended the relationship and 5 months later we got together, in that time he moved abroad for work and we decided to stay together long distance, he’s been away for 6 years now, in that time we’ve been through a lot, his Mum died before he turned 30, he’d already lost his Dad in 2010. Despite the distance we saw each other every 8-10 weeks for the first 3 years. He became distant in 2016, mentioned a girl he worked with being attractive, when I went out to him I found her passport in his safe, he made excuses, she would post on her blog and he’d be in the background of pictures when I challenged it he said a group from work went out. She’d post about being placed he said he was going and on one occasion was on the same flight as him, he denied it and sent screenshots of messages to her asking if she was on the flight and her saying no. His Mum died 2017, awful battle with cancer, I visited her in hospital whilst he was away (only child) and was the one to tell him it was terminal, fortunately he was home when she passed away and I was with him, planned the funeral together etc. After her death I’d check on the empty house fortnightly, I even took on her Cat as none of the family would take him (he’s very temperamental). Christmas Eve 2017 I found out that he’d been cheating with the girl, she told me they’d been living together for 6 months (he moved in just after he returned after his Mum died). We agreed to work through it and he was going to come home in the April 2018, he kept pushing it back, I saw proof he wasn’t living with her. I tried ending the relationship a few times but he always threatened to take his own life. Things started to pick up and in January 2019 he was coming home, I moved the cat out of my parents (they couldn’t keep him any longer) and he said he wasn’t back permanently so I ended up moving in to his empty house as he agreed he’d be coming home in the coming weeks, he kept making excuses but would book huge holidays to keep me quiet, this happened throughout the year. He said he was home after a holiday in October but the day after we returned he left before I even got home from work. He would use excuses like visa issues etc. He was back permanently Christmas 2019 although this was short lived as he left again 3rd Jan, again only telling me an hour before leaving for the airport. He came home for a week for our anniversary, we put his house up for sale and had viewed houses, then left again for what should have been 2 weeks, I haven’t seen him since. Because of arguments he kept pushing his flight and refusing to tell me and then eventually claimed he got stuck due to COVID. I spent lockdown on my own, isolated away from family and friends living in his home. I sat on my own in isolation on my birthday, every week he’d tell me his flight had been cancelled because of COVID and they couldn’t fly, at one stage he said a flight hadn’t taken off despite me calling the airport and confirming. 6 weeks ago I had an awful feeling and contacted the other woman, she said he was with her and they lived together, he denied initially and then demanded I made arrangements to leave his house and then ignored me for 2 days before calling to apologise and said he was coming home and she had kicked him out, it was over. He was due to book a flight then kept saying that he needed time to sort his head out. In that time he bought a house we had viewed and put my name on it with him, his house had sold and progress was being made. This week he was due to fly Monday and cancelled because he didn’t like the way I was speaking to him (standing up for myself and asking when he was collecting his stuff from her). On Tuesday I contacted her pretending to be his cousin, she confirmed they hadn’t split and she had been on holiday for 2 weeks but was due to return Friday, she knew about me the entire time. He refuses to speak to me in case I record it to send to her as he’s told her we aren’t together. Instead he’d send messages in a way it couldn’t be traced back to him. He denies he’s with her to me despite everything. He won’t tell me it’s over and that he doesn’t want to be with me, he sent me a letter telling me he loves me, talking about how much he wanted our future but I had gone too far. He’s saying he’s staying out there for work but still contacting me, reminiscing. Asking where I’m moving to. I’m still in his house, everything I watch on TV he can see (via the internet) there are cameras in the house. There’s a lot more I haven’t covered, he’s made me feel crazy, am i a crazy girlfriend? It’s over now, I’m leaving but not because he’s told me, because he still won’t end it, carries on as if nothing has happened.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Am I going mad?
I’ve been with my partner for almost 8 years officially, unofficially almost 11 but shortly after we started seeing each other (I was 18) he started a relationship with someone else for 2 years, in that time he wouldn’t let me move on, he’d make threats that if I started seeing anyone else we’d never see each other again - obviously I went with it as I was mad about him. Anyway he ended the relationship and 5 months later we got together, in that time he moved abroad for work and we decided to stay together long distance, he’s been away for 6 years now, in that time we’ve been through a lot, his Mum died before he turned 30, he’d already lost his Dad in 2010. Despite the distance we saw each other every 8-10 weeks for the first 3 years. He became distant in 2016, mentioned a girl he worked with being attractive, when I went out to him I found her passport in his safe, he made excuses, she would post on her blog and he’d be in the background of pictures when I challenged it he said a group from work went out. She’d post about being placed he said he was going and on one occasion was on the same flight as him, he denied it and sent screenshots of messages to her asking if she was on the flight and her saying no. His Mum died 2017, awful battle with cancer, I visited her in hospital whilst he was away (only child) and was the one to tell him it was terminal, fortunately he was home when she passed away and I was with him, planned the funeral together etc. After her death I’d check on the empty house fortnightly, I even took on her Cat as none of the family would take him (he’s very temperamental). Christmas Eve 2017 I found out that he’d been cheating with the girl, she told me they’d been living together for 6 months (he moved in just after he returned after his Mum died). We agreed to work through it and he was going to come home in the April 2018, he kept pushing it back, I saw proof he wasn’t living with her. I tried ending the relationship a few times but he always threatened to take his own life. Things started to pick up and in January 2019 he was coming home, I moved the cat out of my parents (they couldn’t keep him any longer) and he said he wasn’t back permanently so I ended up moving in to his empty house as he agreed he’d be coming home in the coming weeks, he kept making excuses but would book huge holidays to keep me quiet, this happened throughout the year. He said he was home after a holiday in October but the day after we returned he left before I even got home from work. He would use excuses like visa issues etc. He was back permanently Christmas 2019 although this was short lived as he left again 3rd Jan, again only telling me an hour before leaving for the airport. He came home for a week for our anniversary, we put his house up for sale and had viewed houses, then left again for what should have been 2 weeks, I haven’t seen him since. Because of arguments he kept pushing his flight and refusing to tell me and then eventually claimed he got stuck due to COVID. I spent lockdown on my own, isolated away from family and friends living in his home. I sat on my own in isolation on my birthday, every week he’d tell me his flight had been cancelled because of COVID and they couldn’t fly, at one stage he said a flight hadn’t taken off despite me calling the airport and confirming. 6 weeks ago I had an awful feeling and contacted the other woman, she said he was with her and they lived together, he denied initially and then demanded I made arrangements to leave his house and then ignored me for 2 days before calling to apologise and said he was coming home and she had kicked him out, it was over. He was due to book a flight then kept saying that he needed time to sort his head out. In that time he bought a house we had viewed and put my name on it with him, his house had sold and progress was being made. This week he was due to fly Monday and cancelled because he didn’t like the way I was speaking to him (standing up for myself and asking when he was collecting his stuff from her). On Tuesday I contacted her pretending to be his cousin, she confirmed they hadn’t split and she had been on holiday for 2 weeks but was due to return Friday, she knew about me the entire time. He refuses to speak to me in case I record it to send to her as he’s told her we aren’t together. Instead he’d send messages in a way it couldn’t be traced back to him. He denies he’s with her to me despite everything. He won’t tell me it’s over and that he doesn’t want to be with me, he sent me a letter telling me he loves me, talking about how much he wanted our future but I had gone too far. He’s saying he’s staying out there for work but still contacting me, reminiscing. Asking where I’m moving to. I’m still in his house, everything I watch on TV he can see (via the internet) there are cameras in the house. There’s a lot more I haven’t covered, he’s made me feel crazy, am i a crazy girlfriend? It’s over now, I’m leaving but not because he’s told me, because he still won’t end it, carries on as if nothing has happened.
Goodness. You do not deserve to be treated like this. Are you able to move back in with your parents for a while? For your physical and mental wellbeing you need to move out of that Horror House. Cameras everywhere, being able to monitor what you watch on TV? You need to take care of yourself. You deserve so much better xx

Reactions: 5
Goodness. You do not deserve to be treated like this. Are you able to move back in with your parents for a while? For your physical and mental wellbeing you need to move out of that Horror House. Cameras everywhere, being able to monitor what you watch on TV? You need to take care of yourself. You deserve so much better xx
I’m taking a huge step and buying my own house, my relationship with parents isn’t great, something else he’s played on over the years. It’s terrified because I’ve got to make all these decisions I’ve never even considered before now as normally he’s the one who deals with it. I don’t think he believes I’ll leave or that I can manage it all alone. I feel so destroyed by it all but everyone keeps telling me it’ll get easier, I just don’t know how someone can be so cruel. Thank you xx

Reactions: 2
I’m taking a huge step and buying my own house, my relationship with parents isn’t great, something else he’s played on over the years. It’s terrified because I’ve got to make all these decisions I’ve never even considered before now as normally he’s the one who deals with it. I don’t think he believes I’ll leave or that I can manage it all alone. I feel so destroyed by it all but everyone keeps telling me it’ll get easier, I just don’t know how someone can be so cruel. Thank you xx
That’s so good to hear that you’re buying your own place. A very big step in the right direction. Take care and be kind to yourself xx

Reactions: 1
Anyone got any experiences or are currently beinggaslighted by their partner? I definitely am and it is making me believe I am in the wrong all the time/a psycho.
I just came across this, and I know its been a few months old now, but yes. I am in that situation and its pretty damn awful. I feel like I am on the defensive all the time, having to stay one step ahead or pre-empt his unpredicatable reactions. Then he says I'm too defensive, ha! Then there is the lies...omg, if I had loose change for every lie, I really would have enough to leave by now.

I know youre right, youre all right its just hard. Even though it hasnt been long I am just sick of starting again with guys. And i suppose because everything was so great before I keep thinking of that. Dont get me wrong I am not innocent and I do my fair share of moaning/getting angry etc but he does drive me to it a lot of the time.
Yes it was great before because he love bombed you thats what they do to hook you in give you whats really an artificial high which if you stay with him you will spend the rest of the relationship trying to get back.
Which you will get in dribs and drabs just to keep you sweet but trust me with every high comes a low.
Just like with drugs you are hooked you need supply you will make the demand and he will just pull your strings and control you.
Get out now before its too late otherwise you will live to regret it (i know i've been there and its gradually soul destroying).
So good luck and put it this way its good you have doubts because i fell hook line and sinker you seem more wise you'll be so glad you listened to that inner voice later down the line trust me.

I just came across this, and I know its been a few months old now, but yes. I am in that situation and its pretty damn awful. I feel like I am on the defensive all the time, having to stay one step ahead or pre-empt his unpredicatable reactions. Then he says I'm too defensive, ha! Then there is the lies...omg, if I had loose change for every lie, I really would have enough to leave by now.
What kind of things is he doing? X

Yes it was great before because he love bombed you thats what they do to hook you in give you whats really an artificial high which if you stay with him you will spend the rest of the relationship trying to get back.
Which you will get in dribs and drabs just to keep you sweet but trust me with every high comes a low.
Just like with drugs you are hooked you need supply you will make the demand and he will just pull your strings and control you.
Get out now before its too late otherwise you will live to regret it (i know i've been there and its gradually soul destroying).
So good luck and put it this way its good you have doubts because i fell hook line and sinker you seem more wise you'll be so glad you listened to that inner voice later down the line trust me.

You’re totally right and luckily you will be glad to know he is long gone! And has already found his new victim lol

What kind of things is he doing? X
Oh too many things to mention on a public forum, but from the serious financial abuse to the "I never gave the dog a treat" when I'm standing there literally watching the dog chow down on the biscuits he threw for it. Oh and he lied about his age too, even getting his family to go along with it. When I discovered he was older than he said he was, he made out like I was some sort of creepy stalker fishing for information. "You are a weird one" he said "Are you one of these stalkers who goes around asking people questions behind my back - am I going to have to keep my eye on you?!"

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 5
I really feel for all of you.

I have had similar in the past, a partner and i broke up and he just started mentally and emotionally abusing me, calling me every name under the sun to try and get me to talk to him, threatening to end his life if i didn't talk to him, contacting my family members if I didn't talk to him. Very, very toxic!

How are things with you now, I know your post was from September but just want to check you are okay, and stronger away from that idiot xx

I really feel for all of you.

I have had similar in the past, a partner and i broke up and he just started mentally and emotionally abusing me, calling me every name under the sun to try and get me to talk to him, threatening to end his life if i didn't talk to him, contacting my family members if I didn't talk to him. Very, very toxic!

How are things with you now, I know your post was from September but just want to check you are okay, and stronger away from that idiot xx
That’s sweet thank you! I’m settled in my house but still in contact with him, mainly because of his manipulation leaving me feeling guilty. He went ahead and bought the house we’d put an offer on together and is going ahead with the renovation we had planned together which is hard, I’m trying to distance myself where possible. Feeling much stronger, getting support and the bonus is he doesn’t know my address so I remain in control! xx

Reactions: 2
Looking back I was gaslighted by my ex - he would shout at me & tell me to get a grip if I was crying due to my MH, said he didn't like people who cry. Yet when he got upset about something and I would comfort him it was fine for him to show his emotions. So I would challenge it and he would go 'I would never say that to you' :oops: Cue me having to watch my emotions around him or bite my tongue. We were together for 4 years and I never felt he wanted to commit - we went on holidays together, weddings/family occasions but then some weekends he would need time alone 'with the lads' so I was often left feeling confused!

I am 100% being gaslighted by my mother. She uses the fact that she will call important things for me because of my anxiety by saying if I don’t do this, not talk to this person (or if I do it’s hell for me at home) etc etc she will leave me high and dry (not money wise I have a lot more money than her but in terms of helping me with things I struggle with because of anxiety! I pay £500 a month to her to have the pleasure of living this hell and my MH getting worse than it ever was. She tells me I’ve taken stuff, tells me what I think and what I’m texting my brothers (she HATES us as it is but she LOATTTTTHS to see us all get on) and I won’t function without her. I moved home two years ago to help her through a 20 year relationship break up but now she’s ok she’s worse than ever. I can’t escape it either because since I moved back I have got two dogs and it’s hard to find somewhere that accepts dogs. Sorry you’re dealing with it xxx

I am 100% being gaslighted by my mother. She uses the fact that she will call important things for me because of my anxiety by saying if I don’t do this, not talk to this person (or if I do it’s hell for me at home) etc etc she will leave me high and dry (not money wise I have a lot more money than her but in terms of helping me with things I struggle with because of anxiety! I pay £500 a month to her to have the pleasure of living this hell and my MH getting worse than it ever was. She tells me I’ve taken stuff, tells me what I think and what I’m texting my brothers (she HATES us as it is but she LOATTTTTHS to see us all get on) and I won’t function without her. I moved home two years ago to help her through a 20 year relationship break up but now she’s ok she’s worse than ever. I can’t escape it either because since I moved back I have got two dogs and it’s hard to find somewhere that accepts dogs. Sorry you’re dealing with it xxx
Do you get support for your anxiety? She’s using your vulnerabilities to her advantage. I know it’s far easier said than done but those things that make you anxious are things that you need to start facing gradually yourself (I’m a MH professional), if you have any questions please ask xx

Looking back I was gaslighted by my ex - he would shout at me & tell me to get a grip if I was crying due to my MH, said he didn't like people who cry. Yet when he got upset about something and I would comfort him it was fine for him to show his emotions. So I would challenge it and he would go 'I would never say that to you' :oops: Cue me having to watch my emotions around him or bite my tongue. We were together for 4 years and I never felt he wanted to commit - we went on holidays together, weddings/family occasions but then some weekends he would need time alone 'with the lads' so I was often left feeling confused!
I'm so glad you got out of there. 4 years is quite long enough. Biting your tongue and not being able to express your feelings is the worst! Mine is so cold hearted, we live like flatmates - although we do still get along. I was going to finally go ahead and leave just before lockdown, but that didn't happen, obv. Now I have lost my job and am financially dependant on him once more - which he likes and I hate. I enjoyed earning my own money and have savings in my own account, which is reassuring, but.....mentally & emotionally I'm a wreck, tbh. I feel like I'm always in flight or fight mode and its exhausting.

That’s sweet thank you! I’m settled in my house but still in contact with him, mainly because of his manipulation leaving me feeling guilty. He went ahead and bought the house we’d put an offer on together and is going ahead with the renovation we had planned together which is hard, I’m trying to distance myself where possible. Feeling much stronger, getting support and the bonus is he doesn’t know my address so I remain in control! xx
Ah that is so good and I am glad you are now in control. You do not deserve someone like that, constantly messing with your feelings. So glad to hear you are doing well..:) xxx