Gas and Elec increase.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t even get onto my account to see what my DD has gone up to. My fixed term ran out in October and I was advised to let it run onto a variable rate as it would be cheaper. Is this right? And if not how can I get back to a fixed rate?

I’ve had my heating on an hour this morning as I have a toddler (wouldn’t have put it on if it was just me) and my smart meter is saying I’ve used nearly £8 already 😔

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I can’t even get onto my account to see what my DD has gone up to. My fixed term ran out in October and I was advised to let it run onto a variable rate as it would be cheaper. Is this right? And if not how can I get back to a fixed rate?

I’ve had my heating on an hour this morning as I have a toddler (wouldn’t have put it on if it was just me) and my smart meter is saying I’ve used nearly £8 already 😔
£8 gas and electric combined? That can’t be right.

I’ve just checked mine and it’s at £1.40 for gas and the same for electric. Last week I got to about 7pm and had only used 70p gas 🥴

£8 gas and electric combined? That can’t be right.

I’ve just checked mine and it’s at £1.40 for gas and the same for electric. Last week I got to about 7pm and had only used 70p gas 🥴
Sorry £8 just for gas!

I honestly dread to think what they have put my Dd up to if they’re charging £8 for an hours heating.
I had my heating on for 30 min, had an early bath and washed up from last night and I’m only around the £1.60 mark so far but like I said a few posts back mines usually under £1 until about 7pm.

I want to explode at the government for letting this happen.
And apparently they’re going to hike the prices up again in 6m just in time for people having to choose between heating their homes and water or buying Christmas presents. It’s completely outrageous but of course Boris Johnson and his ilk have got deep pockets and don’t give a duck.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
It’s all crazy. It’s snowing outside and freezing in house and April 1st!!
Gonna have to unplug everything.

Reactions: 3
I just had to pull out a very heavy sofa to get our electric and gas meter readings from the cupboard behind it then flopped on it exhaused.

Electric was fine but nothing is coming up on the gas display?! I pressed button A then button B but zilch.

No-one can get in the front door now so just wondering if I should drag the sofa back

It’s all crazy. It’s snowing outside and freezing in house and April 1st!!
Gonna have to unplug everything.
Sounds silly but I’ve turned my boiler off at the wall and I’ve made sure there’s nothing on standby. There’s only me home and I’m not going to be using any hot water as I’m off out soon so it can stay off until my daughter gets home.
And apparently they’re going to hike the prices up again in 6m just in time for people having to choose between heating their homes and water or buying Christmas presents. It’s completely outrageous but of course Boris Johnson and his ilk have got deep pockets and don’t give a duck.
They will only do something about it when the rest of the economy is crumbling because no one will have any money to eat out or spend in the shops. It gives me the rage that some people have to choose between basic things.

Reactions: 1
We were paying £92 a month and it’s now £179 with Bulb. My partner wastes so much gas and electric (running the shower for ages before getting in, fills the kettle up for one cup of tea etc 🙃) so we definitely need to start being more sensible with our usage!

What on Earth is going on? Ours have gone up £100 extra per month (live in 1 bed flat) and I cannot get hold of Eon whatsoever.
It rings out until they put me through to a non specific enegy advice line 😡😡
I did the meter reading the other day and it said 'This is lower than what we were expecting'
Yeah, no tit 😪😪.

I just had to pull out a very heavy sofa to get our electric and gas meter readings from the cupboard behind it then flopped on it exhaused.

Electric was fine but nothing is coming up on the gas display?! I pressed button A then button B but zilch.

No-one can get in the front door now so just wondering if I should drag the sofa back
Same happened with my gas meter just over a month ago, was less than 2 years old and a smart one. Tried about 20 times, contacted my supplier, tried again, took photos and they sent out a repair man who said the battery was dead and it needed replacing.

Definitely contact your supplier if its still blank.

Same happened with my gas meter just over a month ago, was less than 2 years old and a smart one. Tried about 20 times, contacted my supplier, tried again, took photos and they sent out a repair man who said the battery was dead and it needed replacing.

Definitely contact your supplier if its still blank.
Thank you for that, I was hoping someone would have a suggestion! I'll give it one more go then wrestle the sofa back

My driving instructor had me concerned last week. He was telling me he won’t even make toast and will have cereal to save money, a hot water bottle and a walk when it’s freezing because he can’t afford the heating bills. He’s a 64 year old man who has worked his entire life to end up living like this.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
It does suck for everyone. I'm lucky to be in a position where we've recently remortgaged in the last few weeks to do some work on the house and the mortgage advisor almost made me laugh asking why we don't pay more so we can pay the mortgage off quicker. I was like how many people really pay their mortgage off by the time they are 50? And do you not know there's a cost of living crisis going on?!
The however much we could have be paying extra on our mortgage is most definitely going to be swallowed by energy, fuel, council tax ect 🙄 it's not just a few ten pounds here and there, bills are going up hundreds for everyone!

Reactions: 2
We’re with eon.. we’ve gone from £155 a month to £246
Standing charge has gone from 28p to 42p
We’ve already used £1.75 since midnight and before this id be on that around tea time. I physically can’t switch anymore plugs off in the house 😩 we live on one wage as we can’t afford childcare just yet so having to wait for me to go to work when all 3 kids are in school full time. Along with all other bills rising were gonna struggle, just like most others. Hold on tight coz it’s gonna be a bumpy ride for us all for a while.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
By lunchtime yesterday we had used £2.78 worth of electricity. On Thursday the full day cost me £1.62. I only used my kettle toaster and oven 🤦🏻‍♀️. Same with gas, I used £1.00 Thursday by Lunctime Friday I'd used £2.33.
It's absolutely ludicrous, I'm dreading when yesterday's full usage uploads.
I need to dig out my smart meter, though id probably spend the day watching it. I can't not have my heating on I've two babies with respiratory issues the cold messes with their chest..
I'm dreading October rolling round and it increasing even more.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Sad
Is anyone else on a variable tariff? Feel like I'm the only one who hasn't switched to fixed. Partly because I buried my head in the sand and then the fix prices got so high that I can't afford it, currently pay £95.
I think it was maybe September time, I got stopped by some guy from shell, they were offering 3 years fix for £100 a month (which was £30 more than I was paying ) so signed up because he was so persuasive 🤦‍♀️ after talking it through with my mum she said she'd heard bad things about shell so I cancelled. Could bloody kick myself now for cancelling!!!

My electric standing charge has almost doubled to 48.53p, dreading October