Gas and Elec increase.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have a large house, there are 6 of you. We bought it last Nov before all this. We're putting on £100 a week to hopefully cover our bill. Our first here because the heating was archaic was £2000. I kid you not. We bought it to renovate. That's on hold, we're concentrating on surviving. We did get a new heating system in and paid that bill but that's it now! We aren't on a great deal of money but I'm being so frugal now with everything to get by. The house isn't in a state to sell on as we've take it all back to brick etc. Pretty stuck ATM. But I'm grateful to at least have a roof albeit falling to bit's over our head.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I'm not sure if this is true for everyone but hasn't this winter been so mild you've barely used your heating anyway?! I mean last year I'd be putting my gas on for maybe 45mins in the morning before waking up to take the edge off (my house drops down to 6-7 degrees normally in the winter) but I'd say I've probably put my heating on a handful of times since Christmas because it's barely dropped to 10! Please don't think I sit in my house when it's 10 degrees in the evening, as I said before I have wood burners which costs me about £250 a year in wood.
It’s been milder here because I’ve not had to scrape the windscreen for the first winter ever. But is has seemed like a longer slog of slightly above freezing temps. My house is north-facing, no neighbours, no EWI and damp issues so I have to put the heating on for higher and longer than homes without these issues. I’ve always used at least £120pm so I’m gobsmacked by how cheap peoples’ energy has been. I doubt I’d have got a better deal and the cheapest now is £200. Would never get a water meter 👎🏻

It’s been milder here because I’ve not had to scrape the windscreen for the first winter ever. But is has seemed like a longer slog of slightly above freezing temps. My house is north-facing, no neighbours, no EWI and damp issues so I have to put the heating on for higher and longer than homes without these issues. I’ve always used at least £120pm so I’m gobsmacked by how cheap peoples’ energy has been. I doubt I’d have got a better deal and the cheapest now is £200. Would never get a water meter 👎🏻
My house also has no windows facing the sun so even on the warmest days it rarely gets above 18 degrees 🤣. If you've got damp issues it may be something else, not the cold!

Reactions: 1
Just checked my account, we’re £463 in credit. Yet they want to put us up from £84/month to £293????

How are they getting away with charging this?!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
can i ask how you managed that?

im trying to sort my mums out. Her gas and electricity company are asking for an extortionate amount even though she barely uses anything.

basically if they insist on that, her basic pension will ONLY cover that. No idea where she will pay her rent or food bills from.
I had to beg basically. I used EDF's online chat thing (as I struggle with the phone) and tried to explain that it's too much and I could pay less. It took forever for someone to actually agree to it. The debt I owe is now spread over 36 months and not 12.

Reactions: 2
I had to beg basically. I used EDF's online chat thing (as I struggle with the phone) and tried to explain that it's too much and I could pay less. It took forever for someone to actually agree to it. The debt I owe is now spread over 36 months and not 12.
i think i will have to be a bit firmer. At the end of the day she only has a certain amount of money coming in and there is only so much she can afford to pay.

feel so sorry for people who are in this position

My house also has no windows facing the sun so even on the warmest days it rarely gets above 18 degrees 🤣. If you've got damp issues it may be something else, not the cold!
The damp issues are due to the house being unable to retain heat. You can’t maintain ambient temperatures to prevent cold spots and ventilation only does so much, despite some landlords thinking “opening a window” solves everything (I open windows and have dehumidifiers). Here, your gas bill has gone up 200%, open another window 🤪

I’ve not read through the thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned but a family member posted this on a whatsapp group today

Martin Lewis is saying to do G&E meter reading tomorrow and send it to your supplier, he said it draws a line in the sand of what you've used before it goes up so that you are not charged any increase on what you've used up to that date.

So that’s Thurs 31st March. Only applies if you pay by DD.

Hope it helps someone a little bit even x

Reactions: 3
So Shell Energy’s website and app is down on the day we’re supposed to submit meter readings ahead of the price hike. Coincidence…?

So Shell Energy’s website and app is down on the day we’re supposed to submit meter readings ahead of the price hike. Coincidence…?
Do you know the significance of this? Because I’m so confused by it all? What will a meter reading do? Is it so they can’t say that your readings were eg 3495, when in fact they were less, so charging more? Does this make sense? 😂😂😂
Do I need to submit if I have a smart meter? HELP!!

Do you know the significance of this? Because I’m so confused by it all? What will a meter reading do? Is it so they can’t say that your readings were eg 3495, when in fact they were less, so charging more? Does this make sense? 😂😂😂
Do I need to submit if I have a smart meter? HELP!!
It's so that they have your exact usage on the old prices before the price rise. If you don't submit them today then they could estimate your usage and be charging the higher amount.

If you have a smart meter I don't think you have to do it. Though there's no harm in taking a note of the readings on the actual meter (*not the smart meter) tonight so you can double check it is correct when your bill comes in..

Reactions: 3
Does anyone know how it affects a top-up smart meter? Atm we’re usually topping up about £20 a week for electricity. I don’t understand it all and feel so overwhelmed by it

It's so that they have your exact usage on the old prices before the price rise. If you don't submit them today then they could estimate your usage and be charging the higher amount.

If you have a smart meter I don't think you have to do it. Though there's no harm in taking a note of the readings on the actual meter (*not the smart meter) tonight so you can double check it is correct when your bill comes in..
Perfect! Thank you. My gas meter is blank, but it’s come up on the smart meter, so taken them down, just in case

Does anyone know how it affects a top-up smart meter? Atm we’re usually topping up about £20 a week for electricity. I don’t understand it all and feel so overwhelmed by it
Daily standard charge is going up quite a lot but I’m not sure if the price per kw is going up too?

Just checked my account, we’re £463 in credit. Yet they want to put us up from £84/month to £293????

How are they getting away with charging this?!
Where the hell do they expect people to pull extra money out like this like it’s nothing? Do they not realise nobody will be able to keep the shops and pubs/restaurants/salons open because no one will have any money to spend on them!?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Perfect! Thank you. My gas meter is blank, but it’s come up on the smart meter, so taken them down, just in case
Worth taking a photo on your phone if you can. That gives it a date stamp in case there are any quibbles.

Can anyone explain what the price cap is? 🤔
Price cap is £168 a month or whatever. But what does that mean? 🤔

Not sure if there's already a thread on this as I know everyone is in the same boat.
I just got my new price through today.
We were paying £93 a month. And they're increasing it to £269 a month!

I was expecting a £50-£70 increase. Not over £170 increase!

Just curious how much other people's have gone up
Mines went from £91 to £217 a month , can afford it tbh
Octopus Energy

• Wow