Gary Lineker

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My political views are centrist, I have voted for most of the 3 main political parties over my voting life. Certain BBC journalists are certainly "right leaning" in my view. You can also notice how at present, left leaning guests on QT or other shows get interrupted more or just a few seconds to reply before being shut down by the likes of Fiona Bruce whereas in contrast the Tory guests get a lot longer to reply, and significantly less interruption. Its blatantly obvious IMO.

Reactions: 10
My political views are centrist, I have voted for most of the 3 main political parties over my voting life. Certain BBC journalists are certainly "right leaning" in my view. You can also notice how at present, left leaning guests on QT or other shows get interrupted more or just a few seconds to reply before being shut down by the likes of Fiona Bruce whereas in contrast the Tory guests get a lot longer to reply, and significantly less interruption. Its blatantly obvious IMO.
Is it really “blatantly obvious” though? I know quite a few people who think it’s “blatantly obvious” that the BBC has a strong left-wing bias. I saw a report recently (sorry can’t remember where) that the BBC gets pretty much equal complaints about political bias from both sides. Seems to me that people see what they want to see.

ETA: this is from 2018. https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/bbc-bias/

Reactions: 10
The BBC didn't sanction Laura Kuensberg, then political editor at the BBC, when she was on camera dancing the conga when Johnson became PM, and her clearly biased stance on Brexit, plus her undisguised glee when the leave campaign won. They have not sanctioned Fiona Bruce for her obvious right wing bias during BBC Question Time on several occasions. It seems with impartiality at the Beeb, they overlook it when it suits the Tory agenda, but condemn it and complain about it when it doesn't. That's been clear to me for years now.

Gary's comments were true, it was about language and rhetoric, it did not suggest intent regarding future actions. However the current government is far too populist, and appear to me to have failed to learn from the lessons of history. What planet are they on if they don't realise how dangerous it is to seek to control and manipulatr the media?

Gary Lineker did nothing wrong, his contract did not restrict his freedom of speech. He used his private account to express his opinion. God help us when that freedom is curtailed.
Actually Gary misrepresented history as during the 1930s the Nazis were shutting down their opposition by killing people. As that is not happening in the UK he is talking crap. As I have family friends that were killed during this time, his tweet is very offensive to me. I could care less about football, so hate that I am being forced to pay for him when he can’t even be bothered to learn history.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I think there's a chance Alan Sugar isn't employed directly by the BBC

Reactions: 2
This is always such an interesting comment because you seem to suggest only politicians can comment on political matters and not you, me or anyone else. It’s not only the dumbest thing I hear about this, it also makes me despair that people genuinely have this level of trust in this government.
---

Actually what you’re saying is incorrect. In their guidance they actually state that presenters like science or sport ones are allowed to comment on matters of politics. It’s (not) surprising how many people first of all misquoted the tweet and then seem to think the BBC clearly forbid a personal opinion. And oh well let’s not forget it’s okay for Alan Sugar and the likes to express one as long as it’s supportive of the Tories. What Gary said is bang on and even if you don’t agree with his statement that’s fine too. We are all allowed to say what we think (within the limits of the law of course). The fact a Tory run bbc wants to curb that is the massive own goal they deserve after the institution was taken over by one political party.
---
What does a hugely unpopular government do when they are pretty sure they’ll be obliterated in the next election? They start scaremongering. Foreigners come to steal your jobs, and you houses. It’s to distract you from the shitshow they’ve run for 13 years. Speaking of that 13 years… they’ve been in power that amount of time and now all of a sudden they start with the rhetoric which is reminiscent of the 30s? Gee it’s almost like they know they’re fucked and are trying to save their skins. The reason this country is on its arse is not refugees. It’s mismanagement, Brexit and politicians who are not there for you and me: they’re there for themselves. The fact people don’t see that this latest move is a classic move when governments are about to fail is horrifying to me. View attachment 2022170
BRAVO!
---
I think there's a chance Alan Sugar isn't employed directly by the BBC
He may be classed as a freelancer. Same at GL.

The Apprentice is made by Fremantle not the BBC itself whereas BBC sport is all in house so Gary is likely less of a freelancer than Lord Sugar who's contract may be with Fremantle and not the BBC directly

Reactions: 3
The BBC have backed down and Lineker will be back on MOTD this weekend. The good news is that this is sending Nigel Farage and co into an epic meltdown on social media 😂 Freedom of speech guys 😉🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 9
They should commission a documentary fronted by him, tweets are so shallow and unsuitable for complex issues.

People were calling the bbc Nazis because they've cut their budget for orchestras and the Nazis banned some music :rolleyes: . You can draw parallels between things to make viral posts on social media if you try, doesn't make it accurate or fair.

Reactions: 7
They should commission a documentary fronted by him, tweets are so shallow and unsuitable for complex issues.

People were calling the bbc Nazis because they've cut their budget for orchestras and the Nazis banned some music :rolleyes: . You can draw parallels between things to make viral posts on social media if you try, doesn't make it accurate or fair.
I agree. Social media has a lot to answer for.

Ironically MotD got an increase in viewing figures on Saturday. The novelty factor of pure football minus the chatter.

Obviously no one would say it's right. But how is it helping anyone by reposting one abusive private message his son received? Or is it all to get a response from Elon?

Block, report (to police and twitter) and turn off private messages. Twitter does provide tools to limit who can slide into your DMs.

His son has been tweeting loads about it all, so the "nothing to do with me" doesn't really compute.

Reactions: 3
What was said to Gary's son is awful, but the pair of them need to pipe down now. They're both had enough attention over the past week to last them a lifetime. Keep your head down and move on. The attention they were getting was irritating a week ago. You've won your battle with the BBC, Gary, get off your high horse now and stick to being a football pundit.

Reactions: 6
George Lineker has always been a bit of a twit. Riding off his dads coat tails shagging and going about shagging glamour models. He’s going to stick up for his dad though.

What was said to Gary's son is awful, but the pair of them need to pipe down now.
They're both literally doing exactly the opposite of what the bullying and cyber safety places say how you should deal with abuse.

Reactions: 1
Arrogant to think Elon will jump in and sort it.
George and Gary need to look at the abuse and threats women get on Twitter and sm. Especially those who believe sex can not be changed.

I never really think about BBC or watch it but if the right think it's biased against them and the left think it's biased against them then it must be doing something right

George Lineker has always been a bit of a twit. Riding off his dads coat tails shagging and going about shagging glamour models. He’s going to stick up for his dad though.
Yeah I like Gary but his son is a bit of pratt.

He's loving life at the moment with his company getting some investors and valuing it at a nice chunk. He clapped back at someone who asked how it was originally funded and said it was through money he earnt. Not sure about that as he lost significant money in wayne's failed social media company around 10-12 years ago, and also in the Get Sung company he tried to launch.