Funny People and Place Names.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They have some cracking surnames in France, how about messrs. Bigot, Moron or Batard (translates as Bastard)?
In Caen theres Boulangerie Batard - ie "Bastard Bakery" - hilarious :)
When we were in Sweden we went to a burger place called Bastard Burgers

There's a cake shop near me called Cakewhole.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I live near two adjacent villages called Didling and Cocking .. if there was a carpark between the two I'd expect it to be called Dogging 😬..

• Haha
What a great thread 🤣 I live in Scotland and there are numerous Cockburns and a Fanny Loch near Glasgow. I found out out recently the German word for hole is loch so that makes it funnier still. We also have have Brokenwind, Butt's Wynd, Assloss and Dull. There is Hell and Purgatory in Orkney, Twatt of course and Lost in Aberdeen. Peiness in Skye. I also know a John Dick and his wife Anita. They take all the jokes in good humour. I also know a Richard and his nickname is Big Dick because he's the eldest. His son is known as wee Dick because he's also Richard.
My mum is Swedish and I lived there for a time as a child. Common names include Titti and Fanny for girls, Jerker and Odd for boys. All normal Swedish names but because I'm bilingual, I get a good laugh. We also have some rude place names like Sexträsk (sex swamp), Djupröven (Deep ass), Kattsjärten (cat's arse) and Fjuckby which doesn't mean what it sounds like. Much like bleeping in Austria, now known as Fugging.

I drove through Europe years ago and there was much hilarity at Plopsaland De Panne in Belgium, Willy Brandt Ring and various Fahrts in Germany and Stinkhoek (stink corner) in Holland.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
What a great thread 🤣 I live in Scotland and there are numerous Cockburns and a Fanny Loch near Glasgow. I found out out recently the German word for hole is loch so that makes it funnier still. We also have have Brokenwind, Butt's Wynd, Assloss and Dull. There is Hell and Purgatory in Orkney, Twatt of course and Lost in Aberdeen. Peiness in Skye. I also know a John Dick and his wife Anita. They take all the jokes in good humour. I also know a Richard and his nickname is Big Dick because he's the eldest. His son is known as wee Dick because he's also Richard.
My mum is Swedish and I lived there for a time as a child. Common names include Titti and Fanny for girls, Jerker and Odd for boys. All normal Swedish names but because I'm bilingual, I get a good laugh. We also have some rude place names like Sexträsk (sex swamp), Djupröven (Deep ass), Kattsjärten (cat's arse) and Fjuckby which doesn't mean what it sounds like. Much like bleeping in Austria, now known as Fugging.

I drove through Europe years ago and there was much hilarity at Plopsaland De Panne in Belgium, Willy Brandt Ring and various Fahrts in Germany and Stinkhoek (stink corner) in Holland.
Middelfart is a Norwegian surname, haha. My friend lives in Sweden and sent me a Plop chocolate bar earlier this year. It was surprisingly good!

• Haha
Visiting the Devil’s Hole in Jersey gave me a giggle a few years back. In a village near me, there’s also a shop called Ball’s and right across from it is another called Toole’s Hardware. 😂

• Haha
I swear I am 🙈🤬 years old, but things like “shop called Ball’s” will never not make me laugh out loud.

• Haha
Shilbottle in Northumberland always makes me laugh. Stewart Lee famously talked about it in one of his gigs, as he'd been travelling up to Edinburgh and had noticed someone had put a small graffiti mark on one of the signs, on the first 'l', making it Shitbottle. Can never not think of it as Shitbottle!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I swear I am 🙈🤬 years old, but things like “shop called Ball’s” will never not make me laugh out loud.
There’s a place in Ontario, Canada called Ball’s Falls. We drove through and giggled at the road signs. Ball’s Falls Cathedral. Upper Ball’s Falls etc.

IMG_8320.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 11
In Victoria in SW London many years ago there was an ironmongery owned by a bloke called Smellie.
It had a big sign over the shop front - "Smellie Ironmongery"
I guess over the years he got fed-up with people going in there to ask "Are you Smellie?" :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Not sure if we had this one already: In Twampa is a mountain known as Lord Hereford's Knob 😄

And no, my inner 13-year old totally didn't laugh when i learned about the song abut it

• Haha
There's a dog grooming place near my parents called Grooming Marvelous

• Haha
Penistone in Yorkshire, there's a Brest Road in Plymouth and an area called Pennycomequick.
Very nearby to Penistone is Wombwell, Upper thong, Netherthong, the Dorothy Hyman sports centre, also in Penistone is a street called Harden Close.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
There was another bloke in the same genre whose name I never forgot because it was so hilarious - Randy Mantooth - why would you ever give a child that name to leave him open for a lifetime of grief over it? I have just googled him and yes he's still acting even after all these years, silly name or not!
I doubt he would’ve gotten much grief over it here. He’s part Native American and his last name reflects that. And Randy is a pretty common name here.

• Heart
Reactions: 3