Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

miss_terious

Love Felicity (and Wilf!! my sister had a cairn terrier who looked just like him so I follow her as much for dog pics as for food) so it's always bothered me that I had severe dislike-at-first-sight for Martha. I think it was a post where she was selling bread (to donate money for Ukraine, maybe?) and her sign just seemed so cocky and unpleasant. "It's f*&king amazing bread, a hundred pounds a loaf is my recommended donation", or something like that.

I followed Ravneet for a while after I made her chocolate chip cookies (which are incredible), but found her a bit much on a day-to-day basis.

Reactions: 4

smartalec

Rakes in at least 8k a month. No wonder life is a long holiday/midday bath. Nothing makes me cringe more than the meals out several times a week or sometimes a day with a TEE HEE I ORDERED EVERYTHING SO TWEE AND GREEDY

Such a Facebook hun with the woe is me posts

blurstoftimes

VIP Member
Ah interesting, I heard it from a mate who went to the book launch for her latest book. But I guess she would be playing to the crowd at something like that; and may be different behind closed doors.
And yes, she’s stunning. Her hair is 👌

Who’d have guessed Martha de Sourdough Lacey would do a 10 course supper club featuring sourdough starter in every course 🙄🤣

View attachment 1355500
i went to her supper club a few years ago and i didn’t even like the bread! but she did do a starter of chicken wings stuffed with minced prawns which i still get hungry thinking about to this day

Ss-ldn

Chatty Member
Blah blah again 🙄
BB2CDD4D-6266-4D3C-A038-E7ED9851AB38.jpeg

Also anyone else think EllyPear is on hols with a new boyfriend? She’s not alone and if it was a mate (male or female) or her mum, she’d say. Noticed a few q’s asking about solo travel and she dodged it

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
Can I talk about my love for Miguel Barclay? Actually in the last week I've bought books by Jamie x 3 and a vegan Lucy Watson one too
I'm vegan and I'm not rich which is why the Miguel books have been brilliant for me. I've cooked from scratch every night for the last week.

I'm basically buying books by anyone who is not Jack Monroe

(I have no tea).
Tbh Lucy Watson drives me crackers. I had her vegan book for a while but I took it into work because I just couldn’t get on with the recipes. At least her vegan book is coming from a place of “veganism”. The others, unless they are actually vegan themselves should be calling their books “plant-based”.

Miguel is just a good egg all round.

Reactions: 3

Ss-ldn

Chatty Member
It’s unusual for her supper clubs not to sell out - she loves the Glasto vibes when they all go within an hour.
Wonder if her woe is me act has turned people off

6B0DACFD-AE88-4B52-A78C-62CF45072CE4.jpeg

SharkAttack

VIP Member
Agree re some of MDL’s recipes being for the sake of it. Sometimes I laugh out loud at the stuff she cooks, as the interminable list of ingredients is mad, and ill thought out. It’s like the cooking version of when people try to use lots of long words to look clever.

Showmethemoonie

Chatty Member
Jonathan Dunn is a funny one, bit of a moody f*cker unleee you’re his mate & in his gang. I think he fears people openly disliking him. His food photography/descriptions are good though, he always manages to make food look/sound appealing (if we wants to) even if the food he’s describing/picturing is off putting.
I find him and his crew kind of irritating. He has some interesting things to say about food in the UK but it’s all so cliquey and opaque that I just can’t be bothered with it.

I like Milli Taylor, how did she become a thing I recognised her hen I first saw her on Instagram but wasn’t sure where from— she never mention any tv work does she? Was it Masterchef or great British menu or something like that?
Not as far as I know - I think she’s just a “proper” chef who built her following slowly (which is guess is quite small relative to some other food people on insta), still does a lot of event catering which has been her bread and butter for a long time. I think she’d be great on telly though as she can really cook and is gorgeous to boot.

Thanks for setting up the thread! I love Felicity. I think Anna Jones is my all time fave chef - just adore her books and think she is really classy and cool.

On the fence about MDL, she’s a bit of an attention seeker and has all her adoring instagram fans and just all the drama all the time? Sort of the same with Elly Pear (although I love her books too)

Rekyavikgirl

VIP Member
Shouldn't this thread be titled 'food writers'? I don't think many mentioned on here actually blog?

What newsletters, cookbooks and food writers are people particularly interested in? I'm looking to expand my rather narrow range. I really like Meera Sodha, Rachel Roddy and Tejal Rao. Not keen on Ella Risbridger (she's a bit twee for me) and I like Felicity although her writing is not my cup of tea.

blurstoftimes

VIP Member
i think felicity seems lovely and i adore her food column but the food she cooks at home always looks so unappealing to me! i used to love martha but i have come to realise she’s basically really good at going out for dinner and making bread…some of her food concoctions are absolutely bizarre

i can’t figure ellypear out - but i feel like she basically always makes the same meal so i don’t understand how she has a career as a recipe writer, i find her food pics super uninspiring

i love millitaylor though! she always inspires me to make spanish food

CocoCottesmore

I really love Lazy Cat Kitchen and Cupful of Kale, they both do failsafe vegan recipes that just always work. However, I do always skim through the massive preamble at the beginning 😂

Ss-ldn

Chatty Member
Don’t you remember the attention seeking pictures from her hospital bed in Spain without saying why she was there?

Irritating Facebook Hun attention-seeking habit IMO. Either say what’s wrong or don’t post the ‘poor me in hospital’ thirsty pics in the first place.
Ah yes of course. Posted pics of half decent looking hospital food then she got really mad with people who pointed that out to her because they weren’t sufficiently sympathetic towards her ordeal - which she chose to tease but not to go into details about 🙄

• Haha

grammarofskin

Was thinking this too! Seems quite desperate.

And surprised there isn’t a vague moan about how terrible her life is within that post like there is every single other one..

• Haha

grammarofskin

£75 per person and according to her latest post she has 81 to feed? That's just over 6 grand for one weekend with no rent to pay,no vat, no staff (I remember she previously used volunteers?). Food costs are probs around £500, even if they were £1000 that's still a good taking.

And all she does is copy other peoples dishes!
Wow - I hadn’t done the maths. What a cheek, eh?

She also gets between £3500 and £7000 every single month from people paying for her “cookery school” that she ignores for months at a time. And yet she feels it’s appropriate to complain constantly about how terrible her life is..

depository

What do people think about Ravneet Gill? I really like her on Junior Bake Off but had to unfollow her on Instagram as found she came across as quite rude. I’m surprised she’s friends with Gizzi - I thought she’d see through her bs

Sliceofpizza

VIP Member
Jonathan Dunn is a funny one, bit of a moody f*cker unleee you’re his mate & in his gang. I think he fears people openly disliking him. His food photography/descriptions are good though, he always manages to make food look/sound appealing (if we wants to) even if the food he’s describing/picturing is off putting.

I like Milli Taylor, how did she become a thing I recognised her hen I first saw her on Instagram but wasn’t sure where from— she never mention any tv work does she? Was it Masterchef or great British menu or something like that?