Food and Drink #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We used to have a mobile library that parked up in our village every Tuesday, and I used to be so excited. My gran would return my books for me when she went to return hers earlier in the day , so that on my way home from school I could go in and get more . Nothing was done by computer so the librarian kept track of everything with a big notebook, envelopes and index cards. If you wanted to request a particular book or author, your request went in the book and she would check in the main library for you ,and bring it for you the next week ❤

another worst witch fan here , although goosebumps / point horror books are what I remember reading the most

• Heart
Reactions: 20
another worst witch fan here , although goosebumps / point horror books are what I remember reading the most
Point Horrors were so good! I used to read as many as I possibly could in the summer holidays. Some of them were really quite dark, if I remember correctly?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I loved and was terrified by the Point Horrors! I have a vague memory of The Snowman one being especially scary for some reason?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Point Horror was life! I remember The Babysitter being really good. The Point Horrors shat all over Goosebumps imho

• Heart
I'm about to turn 55 so I think PH and Goosebumps were a bit after my time. I remember the first Stephen King book I read (The Shining) at my uncles massive house in Vancouver. The room I was sleeping in had curtains leading to a dark room and I made my cousin sleep in the room with me because I was shitting myself. Good times, lmao.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I'm about to turn 55 so I think PH and Goosebumps were a bit after my time. I remember the first Stephen King book I read (The Shining) at my uncles massive house in Vancouver. The room I was sleeping in had curtains leading to a dark room and I made my cousin sleep in the room with me because I was shitting myself. Good times, lmao.
Of all the places to read The Shining!

It’s so weird thinking back, me and my friends loved horror at such a young age, like primary school, 9 years old. I guess it also ties into the horror movies that were known as “video nasties”, the fact that they were banned made them even more exciting and cool.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Of all the places to read The Shining!

It’s so weird thinking back, me and my friends loved horror at such a young age, like primary school, 9 years old. I guess it also ties into the horror movies that were known as “video nasties”, the fact that they were banned made them even more exciting and cool.
I loved scary stuff as a kid as well although videos weren't really a home thing until I was about 12. We had a show on Friday nights called 'Deadly Ernest', some old dude with a snake known as Esme presenting b&w films like The Fly and Creature From the Black Lagoon. Tame stuff compared to the Evil Dead and Poltergeist!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
yessss, mildred hubble fans unite! 🧙‍♀️

there was even a touring musical of the worst witch that I remember seeing when I was like 10

such good stories

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I loved scary stuff as a kid as well although videos weren't really a home thing until I was about 12. We had a show on Friday nights called 'Deadly Ernest', some old dude with a snake known as Esme presenting b&w films like The Fly and Creature From the Black Lagoon. Tame stuff compared to the Evil Dead and Poltergeist!
An actual snake?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I grew up reading horror stories too. Started off light with Point Horror and moved on to Shaun Hudson et al. Even kids TV was slightly more hard core iirc. I'm thinking Eerie Indiana, possibly and The X Files. The only thing that ever got to me though was the BBC fake documentary Ghost Watch? Which looking back was pretty terrible but at the time was terrifying. 👻

• Heart
yessss, mildred hubble fans unite! 🧙‍♀️

there was even a touring musical of the worst witch that I remember seeing when I was like 10

such good stories
Omg that must have been amazing! Thinking about Mildred, she was so relatable because she always had a sock rolled down, or her hair was a mess, and it’s just typical kids things if you’ve been out playing.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Omg that must have been amazing! Thinking about Mildred, she was so relatable because she always had a sock rolled down, or her hair was a mess, and it’s just typical kids things if you’ve been out playing.

I loved her so much

the one big memory I have from the play is mildred singing

🎵mister moon, make my broomstick work, please🎵

and, as I recall, her broomstick was held together with tape and she still won stuff, some sort of metaphor for life there

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I loved her so much

and, as I recall, her broomstick was held together with tape and she still won stuff, some sort of metaphor for life there
I really want to read these books now! I found a Malory Towers book at a charity shop when I was first married and bought it for a bit of nostalgia. The books were completely alien to how I grew up but I liked them all the same.

• Heart
I loved her so much

I’m not even joking, that’s such a beautiful metaphotor.
I really want to read these books now! I found a Malory Towers book at a charity shop when I was first married and bought it for a bit of nostalgia. The books were completely alien to how I grew up but I liked them all the same.
aww yes, I loved them, and my life couldn’t have been more different! At the time they seemed so grown up because they weren’t about Spot The Dog or whatever.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
just checked and all of the worst witch books are available on kindle

do you know, I have never read any mallory towers books despite them being my probable catnip when I was little!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
I almost forgot our Facts for #Facturday!
I love owls, and this one is so obvious, but I hadn’t realised.

“Owls can be found in nearly every environment in the world, from deserts to coniferous forests to the Arctic tundra”

Second owl fact.

Owls are one of the few species who can describe the scent of human, Matt “Sir of the forearms“ Tebbutt.

7ED25140-BDE8-4B4A-94D2-1ACCEB304B9C.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Owlets. Never get tired of saying that word.

Malory Towers was just swoon wasn’t it? Lemonade and secret midnight parties with the food stolen from the kitchen down on the beach that matron didn’t know about. Its poorer cousin Trebizon.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Malory Towers and St Clare's. The idea of boarding school seemed so exciting! In fact, so much Enid Blyton...I went through all of The Famous Five, The Magic Faraway Tree, Amelia Jane the naughty doll...

Did anyone else read Paul Jennings? I don't know if he was as popular in the UK, but his books were incredible. He wrote short stories with mad twists, and some of them I still remember really vividly.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Malory Towers and St Clare's. The idea of boarding school seemed so exciting! In fact, so much Enid Blyton...I went through all of The Famous Five, The Magic Faraway Tree, Amelia Jane the naughty doll...

Did anyone else read Paul Jennings? I don't know if he was as popular in the UK, but his books were incredible. He wrote short stories with mad twists, and some of them I still remember really vividly.
I'm not sure about Paul Jennings but I really wanted to be Silky the tree fairy. The Wishing Chair was another great series.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.