Food and Drink #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Keep on gossiping about food, drink or anything else
Saturday is #facturday

Lots of us on here originate from the Jack Monroe threads, and because of this we use some in-joke words and phrases. Everyone is welcome, of course, so here is a post from Switch that might help:

I love that we've organically basically created our own phrases and words – it’s like the internet equivalent of a regional accent!

All are welcome here! Please do feel free to talk about food/drink/life in general! To avoid any confusion some common things/words you might see:

Fraus / frauen – the witty ladies and gentlemen of the Jack Monroe threads were once referred to as a ‘a cabal of sad little hausfraus’ or something like it and we all loved it and adopted it as a term of endearment (so you may see someone say ‘hey fraus!’ Or ‘how are the cabal today?’ Or sometimes bastardised to 'canal')

🔺️ – triangulation warning! (as in to make yourself potentially locatable/identifiable to a washed up food blogger with a 100% success rate in court and an obsession with tattlers)

Grunking/having a grunka/a grunka lunka – to catch up on lots of posts (named after the wonderful @GrunkaLunka )

'Now duck off xx' – you might see us put this at the end of our posts, but we're just joking around don't worry!

‘I’M BUSY/something about a piss and a sandwich’ again mocking Jack Monroe who on #31 of her threads joined Tattle and tried to turn it into her bloody diary with a bunch of long self pitying posts, but had the nerve to ask if she ‘could go now’ for a piss and a sandwich to which the cabal were like ... ‘Yes please. Go. We have been telling you to leave for hours.’
ALSO:

MT or Mother Thread means the Jack Monroe thread.
We might mention Vladimir Putin / ‘Vlad’ and be paid with bitcoin.
Please feel welcome to join in - the thread is about food and drink, but also everything and anything else

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Thanks for the new thread Hotes! I reported Orphy B's post at the end of the previous thread to ask for the link to be stuck in.

Congrats on your trifle @Sglodion looks bangin.

My mum wanted to go to the gym today so I was training her because I'm too weak to train myself, except I couldn't resist showing off so I did 10 consecutive pull-ups. My previous best was 9. Not that you should be lifting weights to show off, but I mean... if you can, you should. Feel completely fucked now tho, send early nightos.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Thanks for the new thread Hotes! I reported Orphy B's post at the end of the previous thread to ask for the link to be stuck in.

Congrats on your trifle @Sglodion looks bangin.

My mum wanted to go to the gym today so I was training her because I'm too weak to train myself, except I couldn't resist showing off so I did 10 consecutive pull-ups. My previous best was 9. Not that you should be lifting weights to show off, but I mean... if you can, you should. Feel completely fucked now tho, send early nightos.
I cannot even do one pull up, and struggle with push ups. I got wet noodles for arms :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I used to do assisted pull ups (🤣) when we had gym memberships but unfortunately my house cannot fit one of those machines in so now I watch people do pull ups on Instagram.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I used to do assisted pull ups (🤣) when we had gym memberships but unfortunately my house cannot fit one of those machines in so now I watch people do pull ups on Instagram.
I was low key obsessed with an inversion chair they kept showing on the shopping channel on ITV late night. I asked my physio about it but he said it wasn't recommended for my type of issues, (got bone spurs on neck and shoulders). Boo. It looked right comfy and was only £30!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Bless your noodle arms Orphy B 😂 it was years ago now but it took me several months to be able to do my first pull-up, about two weeks for my first press-up. If you get a pull-up bar you can do them with resistance bands and just decrease the resistance over time, or do negative pull-ups where you jump up to get your chin over the bar and lower yourself down as slowly as possible. You can make it a bit easier by doing chin-ups (having your palms facing towards you) as well. Pull-up bars are also great for just hanging to stretch out your back and shoulders if you get tight. Sorry, I'm rambling now. I'm an evangelist for women doing strength training of any kind but particularly pull-ups, just because so many get put off when it takes ages to even get one rep.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Bless your noodle arms Orphy B 😂 it was years ago now but it took me several months to be able to do my first pull-up, about two weeks for my first press-up. If you get a pull-up bar you can do them with resistance bands and just decrease the resistance over time, or do negative pull-ups where you jump up to get your chin over the bar and lower yourself down as slowly as possible. You can make it a bit easier by doing chin-ups (having your palms facing towards you) as well. Pull-up bars are also great for just hanging to stretch out your back and shoulders if you get tight. Sorry, I'm rambling now. I'm an evangelist for women doing strength training of any kind but particularly pull-ups, just because so many get put off when it takes ages to even get one rep.
You sound like Mrs T. She says “do pull bands” and then leaves me with a stretchy thing. 30 mins later she finds me on the floor trying to do cat’s cradle on my own.

(I jest- trying to learn about compound moves and the posterior chain so running isn’t dominated by injury- will look into the stuff you say. Thank you strength person 🥰)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
I've just changed gyms and I don't like my new gym. There's nothing wrong with it. It's much closer to my flat, cheaper too. It just has a different atmosphere. I wasn't happy in my old gym either towards the end. I was paying extra for some classes because all circuit classes stopped because you couldn't share equipment and they then took the best class of the week off and basically I felt like I couldn't justify the membership anymore. Lots of classes came off the timetable post covid as well. They were supposed to be making my old gym single site which meant if you only used that gym you would pay 21.99 but they changed their mind.

I've also struggled to train post covid. I'm being hard on myself as I was training 6 days a week from when the gyms opened last April but its not like me not to want to train.

I didn't have covid as bad as some but I was exhausted for a month and now I just feel lethargic. I'll get there though.

It took me years to be able to do a full press up and then life hit and I lost it all. I used to be a bootcamper and that helped but again bootcamps went off post covid because my gym didn't want people sharing equipment

Reactions: 12
@Orphan_Black
1654538891222.png

Yeah! Never meet Tiny Kittens fans in the wild. Grandpa Mason and Nano will have me blubbing all day long. Yuri stole my heart though (Cosmonaut Kittens) - cheeky little beggar. ❤

I think I can do 5 push ups in one go and won't even dare with a pull up. However, my stringy arms are freakishly strong in other ways and I'd take you all on at carrying heavy bags of shopping and arm wrestling (in a big bollocks on the internet kind of way :D).

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My old gym was a council gym and I was paying 25 quid a month which isn't bad but every year you had to pay two quid for a passport to leisure discount and obviously you had to qualify for it too. And the extra classes were brilliant but they carved up the timetable. Took the best class of the week off. So I'm paying 20 quid a month when I was paying 45 before because I had to pay an extra 20 for HIIT type classes. The new gym is really formal and it's unfriendly.

It's not posh, it's just a well kitted out low cost gym but the staff are not friendly. That isn't the biggest deal tbh. I'm not sure why I feel so unsettled just now

I'll just need to get back into a routine even if it's just 30 mins 6 days a week for now

Reactions: 7
I also have "wet noodle arms" (what a great phrase Orphy B). I have some small dumbells that I have at work in quieter moments but they mainly sit in my locker, forgotten about, just wanting to be picked up. Much more fun to knit and sit, although imagine if I got absolutely RIPPED I could knit with iron bars, cor!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
What a beautiful dog. I'm a cat person but I give money to a rescue in Bosnia that helps get dogs in kill shelters out and to Wales.

Is it a girl?
He’s a boy but has commandeered the pink throw.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.