Food and Drink #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've always been into what people would consider more low brow stuff. Horizons expanded at uni with my English degree but I'm a big proponent of the idea that you like what you like. The best books are the ones you enjoy reading.

I just finished a great true crime read called American Predator, can recommend if you like that sort of thing.
I didn't touch any literary fiction for years after my English degree. Studying literature killed my love of reading it. All I read was Gone Girl (amazing) and about 7 million Gone Girl knock-offs (less amazing).

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Forever 😶
Loved the Faraway Three, loved the boarding school serieses, loved the Babysitter's Club, loved Point Horror (was there Point Crime too?)...loved reading when I was young. Then moved up to Stephen King 😂 I need to read more now!!
Maybe Judy B should rename Forever as Perpetual in honour of Jack.

Can’t beat a bit of classic Stephen King. I love the term ‘constant reader’ for his fans.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Whilst we are looking back in time, thinking about reading in our rooms, how about this classic? Singing into our hairbrush, throwing our duvet around, full of angst.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Whilst we are looking back in time, thinking about reading in our rooms, how about this classic? Singing into our hairbrush, throwing our duvet around, full of angst.

This is up there with Sleeping satellite and I missed you by lisa loeb 🙌

eta: corrected my autocorrect!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Maybe Judy B should rename Forever as Perpetual in honour of Jack.

Can’t beat a bit of classic Stephen King. I love the term ‘constant reader’ for his fans.
Like a lot of creative people, his best work was just before his cocaine addiction kicked right in. He was brilliant while he was just using a bit then it took hold of him and he got too manic and repetitive. And I love 'constant reader' too.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Love it!! One of the first CDs I owned was a Top Hits Of '97 style thing, but from a company too cheap to pay for the proper tracks so they were all cover versions of the originals. This (well, a cover of this) was on it. What a classic.

• Haha
  • Heart
The talk of libraries 😍 I was SO lucky as a kid because we lived close by to a library, I loved it, I just took out picture books and things like that, but it felt like such a treasure trove. I remember being so excited to have my own library card.

Did anyone else like the Worst Witch books? These silhouette illustrations were just gorgeous.

View attachment 1370135
i loved the worst witch! i was so disappointed at how rubbish the tv show was

We used to have a mobile library that parked up in our village every Tuesday, and I used to be so excited. My gran would return my books for me when she went to return hers earlier in the day , so that on my way home from school I could go in and get more . Nothing was done by computer so the librarian kept track of everything with a big notebook, envelopes and index cards. If you wanted to request a particular book or author, your request went in the book and she would check in the main library for you ,and bring it for you the next week ❤

another worst witch fan here , although goosebumps / point horror books are what I remember reading the most
i think some of the goosebumps books would probably scareme now! did you ever read those "choose your own avventure " books where you had certain points to decide what to do and depending you would either continue reading or go to a different page?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I never quite got into the Enid Blyton school stories, or the mystery books. My head was always about magical, toys, anthropomorphic animals, and time slip books. I've never done well with reality 😂 I adored a book called Moondial, and of course the Green Knowe series, and Tom's Midnight Garden.

Dorrie the little witch and Milly Molly Mandy were fantastic too, I bought a bunch of them online when daughter actually was an SG, and loved them all over again.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I never quite got into the Enid Blyton school stories, or the mystery books. My head was always about magical, toys, anthropomorphic animals, and time slip books. I've never done well with reality 😂 I adored a book called Moondial, and of course the Green Knowe series, and Tom's Midnight Garden.

Dorrie the little witch and Milly Molly Mandy were fantastic too, I bought a bunch of them online when daughter actually was an SG, and loved them all over again.
Moondial.

Did they make a really spooky TV series of that?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have a surprisingly lage collection of books about mountain climbing and polar expeditions for someone whose peak endurance was Glastonbury in 1985.

I completely agree with you like what you like. When I worked in the library, I became obsessed with books about plane crashes and read them in my break.

I might try anyway. It’s always worth seeing what you could find in the local Tesco metro express.

😉

• Haha
i think some of the goosebumps books would probably scareme now! did you ever read those "choose your own avventure " books where you had certain points to decide what to do and depending you would either continue reading or go to a different page?
Omg yes! I read a Superman “choose your adventure”. It was great fun, but so stressful. If you made the wrong choice it went wrong, REALLY wrong, absolute chaos, destruction, flames.

Loved that song, like you said, full of angst! I remember hearing it when my crush was abroad during the summer holidays , and I missed her so much. So the line “keep in mind we’re under the same sky” had me all 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.