Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Catt

I was so happy to see them vlogging again but then was shocked to hear they have separated. That’s the last thing I expected, they always seemed such a good team

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9

Dori82

@MrsSlocombe i think that is way too harsh. It would be impossible for one family to have five babies or even toddlers and not have both parents home, I don’t feel they were exploiting their kids, they were always respectful and asked the older kids if they wanted to be in the vlogs. I think they just did the best they could in a fairly intense, demanding and unusual situation.
Unfortunately they are exploiting their children. All family vloggers do. The question to ask yourself is "if the children weren't in the vlogs would they have a channel?". This family especially really wouldnt have a channel. They vlogged a pregnancy, the NICU and it just continued. For 4yrs they have solely used their children as an income. The older 2 although are older, still are unable to consent. Asking whether you want to be in a vlog is totally different to knowing and understanding what consenting to all privacy and dignity being lost and on the internet forever. The older 2 now have to deal with the world knowing their parents have separated. They will probably get asked highly personal questions about whats happened as if its not already hard enough.
I appreciate what you are saying about then being in a demanding situation and doing their best, but truth be told if they were doing their absolute best, there would be no vlogs or content. Imagine having to car for 5 toddlers and trying to get enough content for a vlog, just giving them selves extra unnecessary stress.
All family vloggers should be demonetised in my opinion to prevent the exploitation of minors who simply can not consent. However i fully respect your opinion, this is just mine. X

Reactions: 7

Puppet

VIP Member
Looking forward to Jamies vlog today.

I wonder how much longer they will continue to do vlogs as they were going to do them more regularly but then they split
I always felt that Skylar was more into Youtube / vlogging than Jamie, so it will be interesting to see how she approaches vlogs and filming. I think she appreciated the income when the quints were small, but I get the feeling she would be happy to just get on with life without Youtube and sharing their lives.

MrsSlocombe

VIP Member
It’s interesting reading people’s perspectives on this, I personally don’t see anything strange with Whitney being there as she has been a big help all the way through plus it was Skylar’s birthday and she is his niece after all.

I don’t think they exploit their kids, especially not like a certain autism father who is constantly filming. At least the Scott’s vlogs are only twice a week.
Those 5 kids have been generating the family's only income since they were born. How on earth can you not think that that is exploiting them?

MrsSlocombe

VIP Member
Oh gosh - they separated? I watched them when the quints were newborns because it was interesting to see five babies, then I gave up after the babies got older because I didn't like the exploitation of the kids. There was also some really terrible parenting going on at times. I think with the youtube families we see time after time that apart from the exploitation of the kids, it isn't the healthiest of situations for a relationship for both parents to be home with the only income being earned from youtube. On the surface what appears to be healthier is for one to do youtube as additional income, and one to work outside of the house (And I'm not assuming that the male should be working outside of the house, and the female should be the homemaker and part time youtube income earner). Jamie was never into youtube like Skylar was anyway - it was obviously all just convenient income for her. Edited to add: I also think that it's disgusting that they are intending to continue to make their income off their kids now that they are separated - they should stop the exploitation right now. Get some damn jobs if you need income.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

scoobie

VIP Member
All family vloggers are exploitative in my opinion, to varying degrees of course. The ins and outs of their potty training was something the internet never needed to see.

lucylab

Imagine being a preschooler, falling asleep in the car, being woken up and brought into the house where your Dad now lives, and then having a camera jammed in your face because your father needs to earn some money. I'm going with the assumption that Jamie was fed up with the vlogs and told her husband to get a job yet he refused. Yes, 5 kids plus 2 older ones are a handful but there is no need for both parents to be home 24/7. Why does Skyler need help to redo a playroom? Is there a reason he needs another adult around when he has the kids. I also feel incredibly sorry for the 2nd oldest son who always has a smile on his face and is so helpful to his siblings yet things must be so hard for him watching his parents marriage implode.

MrsSlocombe

VIP Member
@MrsSlocombe I agree with the point that things seem pretty off, if anything the quints seem more whingey and whiney than they used to, almost to the point where I can’t watch much of their vlogs anymore.
The quints are dealing with and processing the break up of their parent's marriage - that is traumatic for kids and part of their probably normal response will be for them to be acting out/ be more whiney etc. It does make keeping on using them for the family's income even more disgusting - the poor kids now have two separate households to support. I honesty don't see how their parents can think that is in any way acceptable.

gossipygertie

Gosh this is depressing the most recent video- selling their houses etc, why they're divorced. It's really sad.

And Skyler confirmed he's had a 'crisis of faith' and is no longer Mormon. That's got to be a huge part of why they split up.
I don’t think it’s sad at all they have divorced. They were so unhappy it was impacting their mental health as they said, plus Skylar and the kids were stuck in Mormonism when it didn’t necessarily work for them.
I am pleased those kids will be able to grow up and be able to choose for themselves what they want to believe and who they want to be, without being forced down a narrow minded path.
Jamie has the opportunity to remarry someone who shares her values and religion and is on her page.
Much better for everyone.

scoobie

VIP Member
Wow. I finally got around to watching The Great Scotts’ video. It was very thought-provoking and well done.

I now think the most likely scenario is that Shay has been shunned by their local community and Skyler has stood by him which has caused a rift between him and the church. I think this has to be a factor in their divorce. The timing seems like more than a coincidence.

Sooey706

I was on YouTube the other day and one of my video suggestions was Great Scott's? (I believe it's Skylars brothers channel - they used to mention it a while back) 'why we left the Mormon church' so I'm even more sure that's the reason for the split.

• Wow

MrsSlocombe

VIP Member
So the quints have just turned 4 now. How on earth can the parents think it's okay that they have been responsible for earning the family's income for the past 4 years? Given the 'agreement' that they will both do one vlog a week, they seem to have an ongoing expectation that this will continue, and it is beyond disgusting. They need to join the real world and get jobs to earn an income like regular people do. Jamie was never into vlogging so her new found enthusiasm for it just shows that she is willing to sell out her kids for easy money. I found Skylar's recent vlog very sad and telling. Assuming that he doesn't have shared care of the kids so just has them on an occassional basis/ for days etc, he needs to put the damn camera down. He can't take the quints out without the devoted Whitney at his side - because he is concentrating on vlogging, not his kids. In the recent one she had organised the snacks, she was dealing with 4 of the kids walking along while he was vlogging, and she was dealing with putting the kids in their car seats while he was sitting in his seat vlogging. He is not being present for his kids in the time that he does has contact with them, but hey - gotta get that easy income right? And as much as I didn't want to believe it when someone else suggested it earlier in the thread - him and Whitney are coming across in a bit of an unusual way for being relatives.

gossipygertie

Yeah I agree that I think Skylar was moving away from the Mormonism, and the whole perfect image that seems to come along with it.
Just in the last few videos he has seemed more relaxed and like a regular guy.

Is there Mormon thing about wearing oversized hair bows?! I was happy for the kids when they all went to Walmart to choose their own swimmers. Individuality.

katty257

I wi
I just went and watched that. So Shay has gender dsyphoria and is gay? I actually found the vlog to be very scripted BS. Notice that they are never talking to the camera together. Amanda also bleats on that she loves Shay more than ever and they have found freedom by leaving the church blah blah blah. Their marriage must be in crisis and Shay must still be controlling her to be putting out this narrative. She talked about going to the Utah Pride parade - that it was beautiful and now she loves more people. What about the bombshell of her husband having gender dsyphoria and being gay? I hope that she finds the strength to have her own life - her participation in this vlog is part of her attempts to convince herself that life is wonderful and it's all okay.
I wonder if Jamie gave Skylar and ultimatum that if he stayed in contact and supported shay then it would bring shame up on their family within the Mormon community? And they have a big disagreement and he left and they split up

Yes he does give off that vibe alright. They are Mormons though and that would not go down well at all in their religion.

MrsSlocombe

VIP Member
@MrsSlocombe i think that is way too harsh. It would be impossible for one family to have five babies or even toddlers and not have both parents home, I don’t feel they were exploiting their kids, they were always respectful and asked the older kids if they wanted to be in the vlogs. I think they just did the best they could in a fairly intense, demanding and unusual situation.
Yes - they gave the older boys the choice, but the younger ones have never had any choice about it. Do you not think that it is wrong for 5 three year olds (or are they 4 now?), to have been solely responsible for earning their family's income since they were born? Almost every vlog they have ever put out features the quints - that is exploitation (however challenging the situation may have been for them). They also received a massive amount of community/ family support, so they were never doing it alone. The continuing to try and use them for family income at a time which is 'reality of life', but may actually be traumatic for them is disgusting.

MrsSlocombe

VIP Member
Skylar bought his own house. That's gotta mean they're not getting back together? Wild!!
Well, hopefully that means that he has found himself some type of regular job to fund buying a house, and as it appears that Jamie is staying in the family home that Jamie has also found a regular job to fund that. Good on them, if that is what has happened. If they are expecting the quints to now fund two homes, then they are scum.

Reactions: 5