Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Hachi: A Dog's Tale
My Dog Skip (both of these are why I didn't see Marley & Me)
Ghost (Sam going to heaven)
Beaches (when Wind Beneath My Wings plays)
My Girl (Thomas J's death)
Bridge to Terabithia (Leslie's death)
Jack & Sarah (when he cradles baby Sarah whilst Stars by Simply Red plays)
Pay It Forward (the boy's death)
Simon Birch (Simon's death)
HP1 (when Harry waves goodbye to Hagrid from the train)
Click (when his father dies)
Freedom Writers (when the boy's friend gets killed)

Last edited:

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Pan's Labyrinth is my favourite film of all time and I never used to cry when I watched it as a teenager. Now when I get to the end, I can't help but well up a bit :( I like to think it ends happily though, she's with her real parents in the other world!
The music gets me everytime too

imnotarobot

Watched forest Gump the other night for the zillionth time, bawled at the scene where he learns he's a father. That scene alone got him the oscar, so so brilliantly acted.
Completely, totally agree. Didn’t even really need the words, it’s all in his face.

Ohh I forgot to mention Dumbo ... that one is actually a family joke in our house, ‘Don’t let Mum watch Dumbo’... I had seen it before and not been affected, but since having children it just tears me into shreds and I’m tearing up just writing this. Really pushes a maternal button, that movie.

clueless

Chatty Member
Lots but some off the top of my head:

The Lion King (the original animation)
Dumbo (also the original)

I always sob at the end of Amy (the Asif Kapadia documentary film on Amy Winehouse, love it and have watched it many times)

I also cry my eyes out at the ending to La La Land 😭😢

MissRabbit

Coco - it's the first time I've seen my husband cry at any film, never mind a cartoon. We were both such a mess.
Bicentennial Man - loved this film when I was a kid but watched it again recently and sobbed.
Song For Marion - not sure if anyone's seen this but saw it on BBC2 once, Terence Stamp's character sings in a choir in honour of his late wife. First time I ugly cried at a film.
Mamma Mia 2 - cried at the scene when young Donna gives birth to Sophie. I was at the cinema away from my 5 week old son for the first time. Just wanted to run home and give him endless cuddles.

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
Schindler's List - especially the girl in the red coat, and seeing Oskar Schindler begging for forgiveness near the end.
Walkabout
Pelle The Conqueror

Jdottt13

The fault in our stars - I went to see it with a friend at the cinema and I was 17 I think at the time. Well I was an absolute mess despite reading the book the film for me was just a whole other level of sadness. Think hearing other people crying in the cinema makes it worse too lol. I cried so much at the end of the film I ran to the toilet to try and console myself and I was still crying on the train home!! Don’t think my friend knew what to do 🤣 it’s the one film I’ve not been able to watch again since!

GetOffMyLawn

I’d be shocked if this hasn’t yet been suggested but the one that breaks me EVERY time is ‘Ghost’. Even more heart wrenching now that poor Patrick died 😭

hypoharpy

Some great films have been already mentioned but I'd like to add;
Collateral beauty -Wiil Smith
Million dollar baby- Hillary Swank.
Absolute crying corkers.

LittleMy

VIP Member
Marley & Me; gets me every time, I shit you not.
The Fox and the Hound; when the old woman leaves Todd in the forest and he doesn’t understand.

I seem to have more sympathy for animals in movies than people.

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
So very many films make me cry but a list of 5:

Shawshank Redemption
Up
The Lives of Others
Goodbye Lenin
Cinema Paradiso

I can't listen to Bright Eyes without tearing up big time. Can never bring myself to rewatch the film.

Same. I think it's the music in a lot of films that gets me the most. That film and the feather ah god.

I forgot the final LOTR film at the end when Annie Lennox sings - I was in another country years ago and they were showing the last 30 minutes of the film on a loop and I just stood there watching it sobbing my heart out looking like an idiot. "I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil" Good old Gandalf.
Bright Eyes,Oh god the book made my cry ,the film had me in floods,I can’t watch it to this day.

Ginlover92

I was supervising film club with primary school children and the children had brought in films to choose from. One child had A Dog's Purpose and they voted to watch it. My cat had died about 6 months before and it had really hit me hard. I had to go into the corridor and pretend to do something to the display board whilst I tried to pull myself together.