Feng shui

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh wow. I'm so looking forward to reading more of this thread.

I delved into reading about Feng Shui as a teenager and had read all the books available at the library but life took its toll and I lost interest in pretty much everything for a long time.

I've spent years and years with a chaotic, traumatic lifestyle and ALOT of stuff/hoarding! I did some of the Mari Kondo and felt so much better having less "stuff", that also included unessersary furniture. And only keeping things serving purpose. I instantly felt clean energy flowing through my home and have stripped my home to the basics because the feeling was addictive!

I had bare birch tree wallpaper in my living room for years which was quite "in yer face" and busy on both opposite ends in my living room, it felt claustrophobic and tense. I removed it recently. The energy seems to be flowing through now. It sounds crazy but there have certainly been less disagreements in our household.

I have had ALOT of previous bad luck in this house and I am aware the past tenants had a very chaotic lifestyle too. I am no position to move or have any major structural work as I was very fortunate to get a council property. I have been reading this thread with great interest and wondering on tips for below:

- I have a toilet directly above my front door. The actual toilet basin itself! and another right beside it downstairs. It seems surrounded by toilet and ALL drainage from the kitchen and bathroom sinks! What can be done here without structural rearrangement? I've always been drawn to using the back door for personal visitors and my own access. Front is for formalities and post.

- I have a small porch that's inside the house itself. I can see it from my back gate at my very small back yard. The hallway very narrow and dark with no natural light - I can almost "see" the energy in the air but it certainly isn't positive. Difficult to describe.

- One of the bedrooms at the back was my eldest sons bedroom (they were removed from my care in this very house when I was very troubled). Their room feels me with sadness. What can be done? I went on to have another baby who resided in my care. I have 2 bedrooms to choose from when he moves into his own room. What do I avoid?

- It is a row of terraced houses. The kitchen at the front of the house and living room at back. My kitchen feels better with NO window decoration, curtain or blinds. Is there a reason for this?

- My sister lived with me for a while. She was VERY ill here and suffered from really serious digestive and women's issues. When she moved out her health rapidly improved.

- I still feel like I'm fighting my ex addict demons and get exhausted with them sometimes. Any tips?!?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Yeah that's the problem with Etsy, the stuff on their is lovely but it takes ages to arrive.
I live not too far from Brighton, and there are some lovely shops that sell crystals and things, but who knows when they'll be allowed to open again (or if they've even survived lockdown) Like yourself, I used to often look inside these shops and wonder whether they 'work'.

Not sure what the rules are for linking online shops on here (sorry if I'm breaking any rules) but I've been looking at this place https://www.thepsychictree.co.uk/ they have some lovely crystals.
Lovely website, you’re right. Love the rose quartz pieces. Unfortunately, their shipping outside of the UK will incur customs charges for me so I’ve ordered the money frog/toad from Amazon and some rose quartz from holisticme.com to get started. Just read that the money toad should never be left on the floor and should never be too raised too high on a table but rather at the same height as your pockets so the money can pour in! So fascinating! Plus, can be placed near front door facing in, and office desk that may hold financial papers. Am so excited to learn more.

ETA That sounds greedy. Eek!

Last edited:
  • Heart
THAT’S IT!!!!! When I buy my next house, I’m not exchanging contracts until @Oops... and @PixelGirl sign it off first.

@PixelGirl I know you no longer live in MK but know of anyone that sells crystals round here? I knew of a lady who sold wonderful crystals unfortunately she passed away a few years back due to cancer. Bless her :(

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
So THIS is where you’ve all been hiding!

As someone who has two Bachelor Degrees in Science, I always thought Feng Shui was just hocus pocus - HOW WRONG I WAS!

In my old single storey home, my bedroom was at the very front of the house facing the street, it had a raked ceiling, the foot of my bed was directly in front of the door, the electricity meter backed onto the head of my bed, my wardrobes had mirrored doors, my bedroom window faced the street (it was a busy road so there was always light from traffic wizzing past at night), and the blinds didn’t cover the full length of the window due to the exposed triangle at the top caused by the raked ceiling ... I literally NEVER slept properly and I was constantly exhausted.

I honestly thought I had incurable insomnia, because even though I was prescribed a really strong sedative by my GP I still couldn’t sleep.

Then, when I started designing my current two storey home the architect, who was of Chinese decent, explained and applied quite a number of Feng Shui principles when we were drawing up the plans. I still wasn’t really a believer, but I went along with his ideas because, at the very least, I thought they couldn’t hurt.

Now my bedroom is on the first floor at the very back of the house, above the dining room, my bed isn’t in the dreaded coffin position, and I have not had any issues sleeping since the day we moved in!

I also sleep with a rose quartz crystal under my pillow, which was suggested by a good friend of mine who is a very flamboyant 70 year old Wiccan.

Oh, and I have a door on my master bathroom because, y’know, common sense! 😊

EDIT: I love this thread, it’s happy and fascinating.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
- My sister lived with me for a while. She was VERY ill here and suffered from really serious digestive and women's issues. When she moved out her health rapidly improved.
Seems like you have been through a lot in your house. Hope that you are doing better now?
Sorry, no advice to give, but just wanted to comment re your sister and her health. I have various 'women's issues' that seem to have started when I moved into my current place, so am wondering whether it's linked? Glad your sisters health has improved, since moving out.
Apparently, the clear quartz is a 'master healer' so will be ordering that one.

Lovely website, you’re right. Love the rose quartz pieces. Unfortunately, their shipping outside of the UK will incur customs charges for me so I’ve ordered the money frog/toad from Amazon and some rose quartz from holisticme.com to get started. Just read that the money toad should never be left on the floor and should never be too raised too high on a table but rather at the same height as your pockets so the money can pour in! So fascinating! Plus, can be placed near front door facing in, and office desk that may hold financial papers. Am so excited to learn more.

ETA That sounds greedy. Eek!
Ohh, you will have to have to show us pictures of your purchases when they arrive! The crystals I want to order are currently out of stock, so I shall have to be a little patient.
I've also been looking for a money toad, but can't find one that I like. I'm looking for a clear one, if that's a thing!? That's very interesting re the different placements of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
What about Himalayan salt lamps? Pros or cons?

Thank you to every one for participating. I am soaking up all your wisdom and fervently nodding my head.

I had never thought twice about my surroundings. After doing the Komnari method about 6 years ago on everything in the house and my wardrobe, I can say that things changed a lot in my household. Everything felt different, probably the energy flowing better. The kids were calmer and getting along better than ever. They're teenage girls so this is HUGE. The girls also Konmari'd their wardrobes and are now obsessed with everything being folded and laid out just so. Income improved (husband and I work from home) and the house just felt more peaceful. Even the dog's behavior changed. We changed the colour scheme to soothing tones a couple of years later, and now have key pieces that make me happy every time I see them, instead of having art or pictures on every wall just because.

Getting rid of clutter on the kitchen countertops was life changing. It's a pain to put away small appliances after use, but the feeling I get when I enter the room each morning, seeing the empty counters, is better than an early morning caffeine hit.

I need to remember to cover the bedroom mirror. I have a huge mirror that leans in a corner at the far end of my bedroom, which I cannot see from the bed, so that one should be ok left uncovered at night, right?

My dresser is directly next to the left of the bed and the mirror atop it faces the bed. The bed doesn't face the door, instead it faces North which is a lucky direction for us as a couple. Changing the bed around did affect our sleep patterns. My poor husband, I kept moving things around for weeks till I got it just right. So if you can see the bed in a mirror that's a no-no? Or is it if you can see your face in the mirror whilst on the bed?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Hi everyone,
I’ve been a long time lurker on The Other Thread but when this thread came into existence I was delighted and knew I wanted to get involved. I’ve found myself saying recently that since my husband and I bought our current house 5 years ago we’ve had nothing but rotten luck, and it’s got me thinking about the energy in the house.
I’ve had a Feng Shui book next to my bed for months that I read about 15 years ago (Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston) but wanted to revisit and this thread has given me the motivation to begin re-reading it today! I’m so intrigued by everything that has been posted so far, but I was wondering if anyone knows any Feng Shui related to fertility? I’ve now had 4 IVF cycles and am planning to begin more soon, and if there’s a way of altering the energy at home to be beneficial in that respect then I’d love to learn more 💛

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Obviously, I can’t answer any of your concerns because I am clueless on the subject but what I will agree with wholeheartedly is that clutter is the enemy. I have repeatedly told my family members to refrain from covering my kitchen island with stuff. I find untidy living spaces deeply stressful. My teens also did the Kondo method and one even stuck to it.

Really looking forward to learning more about our health concerns and how we can find some possible solutions. Hasta Manana ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Obviously, I can’t answer any of your concerns because I am clueless on the subject but what I will agree with wholeheartedly is that clutter is the enemy. I have repeatedly told my family members to refrain from covering my kitchen island with stuff. I find untidy living spaces deeply stressful. My teens also did the Kondo method and one even stuck to it.

Really looking forward to learning more about our health concerns and how we can find some possible solutions. Hasta Manana ❤
I have the same issue with my partner leaving his stuff out on my sides.

I despise "man clutter". It tends to build up really quickly in every spare drawer, you know, non descript wires, redundant items such as DVDs, old broken phones and laptop chargers that won't work... There is absolutely no need to hang on to any of these items. The men that I have been with in my life really have difficulty parting with old hardware for some reason.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
THAT’S IT!!!!! When I buy my next house, I’m not exchanging contracts until @Oops... and @PixelGirl sign it off first.

@PixelGirl I know you no longer live in MK but know of anyone that sells crystals round here? I knew of a lady who sold wonderful crystals unfortunately she passed away a few years back due to cancer. Bless her :(
I used to get a lot of mine from places like the crystal shop at Potterspury but that's closed now. Crystal and Psychic fairs, foreign holidays, but also from this shop in Hitchin, called Harvest Moon. It's a lovely shop, or it was https://harvestmoonhitchin.weebly.com/

I don't know this lady, but she's in Milton Keynes. https://www.clarityofsight.co.uk/

Hi everyone,
I’ve been a long time lurker on The Other Thread but when this thread came into existence I was delighted and knew I wanted to get involved. I’ve found myself saying recently that since my husband and I bought our current house 5 years ago we’ve had nothing but rotten luck, and it’s got me thinking about the energy in the house.
I’ve had a Feng Shui book next to my bed for months that I read about 15 years ago (Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston) but wanted to revisit and this thread has given me the motivation to begin re-reading it today! I’m so intrigued by everything that has been posted so far, but I was wondering if anyone knows any Feng Shui related to fertility? I’ve now had 4 IVF cycles and am planning to begin more soon, and if there’s a way of altering the energy at home to be beneficial in that respect then I’d love to learn more 💛
This is an interesting question, not something I know about at all, maybe @Oops... knows? In the meantime, I have found this website.

There is this one too, but please be aware it takes you to a website focusing on babies, so don't go there if it would be upsetting xx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4

I delved into reading about Feng Shui as a teenager and had read all the books available at the library but life took its toll and I lost interest in pretty much everything for a long time.

I've spent years and years with a chaotic, traumatic lifestyle and ALOT of stuff/hoarding! I did some of the Mari Kondo and felt so much better having less "stuff", that also included unessersary furniture. And only keeping things serving purpose. I instantly felt clean energy flowing through my home and have stripped my home to the basics because the feeling was addictive!

I had bare birch tree wallpaper in my living room for years which was quite "in yer face" and busy on both opposite ends in my living room, it felt claustrophobic and tense. I removed it recently. The energy seems to be flowing through now. It sounds crazy but there have certainly been less disagreements in our household.

I have had ALOT of previous bad luck in this house and I am aware the past tenants had a very chaotic lifestyle too. I am no position to move or have any major structural work as I was very fortunate to get a council property. I have been reading this thread with great interest and wondering on tips for below:

- I have a toilet directly above my front door. The actual toilet basin itself! and another right beside it downstairs. It seems surrounded by toilet and ALL drainage from the kitchen and bathroom sinks! What can be done here without structural rearrangement? I've always been drawn to using the back door for personal visitors and my own access. Front is for formalities and post.

- I have a small porch that's inside the house itself. I can see it from my back gate at my very small back yard. The hallway very narrow and dark with no natural light - I can almost "see" the energy in the air but it certainly isn't positive. Difficult to describe.

- One of the bedrooms at the back was my eldest sons bedroom (they were removed from my care in this very house when I was very troubled). Their room feels me with sadness. What can be done? I went on to have another baby who resided in my care. I have 2 bedrooms to choose from when he moves into his own room. What do I avoid?

- It is a row of terraced houses. The kitchen at the front of the house and living room at back. My kitchen feels better with NO window decoration, curtain or blinds. Is there a reason for this?

- I still feel like I'm fighting my ex addict demons and get exhausted with them sometimes. Any tips?!?
@ChloChlo
This website seems to have a lot of information you can read through, I'm going to have a look through it myself.

There is some information here about challenging bathroom situations on the same website.
I do know that it is important to always keep the bathroom door closed, the good energy escapes your house and enters into your bathroom and is flushed away when the toilet is flushed. ALWAYS keep the toilet lid down, when it's not being used or is being flushed. The bathroom needs to be kept neat and tidy. A thick bathroom rug on the floor will cushion against it being over your front door.

With your son's room, (hopefully you still have some contact with him?) I would empty the room completely, clean thoroughly and redecorate it. You can clear any negative energy from the room, by this I don't mean any energy attributed to your son, but more around the anguish of having your son taken into care and your response to that time. Open all the windows, get the air flowing in there. If it were me I would clear the energy by using sound, I clap my hands or use a singing bowl. There is some information here about ways to clear negative energy. Follow the principles for setting up the room, making sure the foot of the bed when your youngest is ready to go into that room is not facing the door.

• Heart

I have read your post carefully.
I would not presume to make a reply without REALLY thinking hard about it because I am hearing you very well.
I will get back to you when I feel I have had a good think. With your case I think we need to find the right starting point as SO much is happening or has happened.
Get back to you soon x

Seems like you have been through a lot in your house. Hope that you are doing better now?
Sorry, no advice to give, but just wanted to comment re your sister and her health. I have various 'women's issues' that seem to have started when I moved into my current place, so am wondering whether it's linked? Glad your sisters health has improved, since moving out.
Apparently, the clear quartz is a 'master healer' so will be ordering that one.

Ohh, you will have to have to show us pictures of your purchases when they arrive! The crystals I want to order are currently out of stock, so I shall have to be a little patient.
I've also been looking for a money toad, but can't find one that I like. I'm looking for a clear one, if that's a thing!? That's very interesting re the different placements of them.
GREAT! I got my Toad on eBay and he is glass (crystal). He is at pocket height on my staircase facing front door. At one time I had a decoupage screen placed in front of my front door (stairs are facing front door but are not in front of front door) but a delivery man knocked it over and broke the hinges when he was delivering a table. I took that as a sign not to have it there as it never felt right. My FSM said put the toad on the stairs so I did. He liked the screen but although it looked beautiful it didn’t feel right. The screen now lives in a different house. For anyone else if you can live with a folded screen in front of your front door I thought I should just mention it as it may work for others. It’s just a bit fiddly constantly moving it side to side when you need to open the front door though.♥

I have the same issue with my partner leaving his stuff out on my sides.

I despise "man clutter". It tends to build up really quickly in every spare drawer, you know, non descript wires, redundant items such as DVDs, old broken phones and laptop chargers that won't work... There is absolutely no need to hang on to any of these items. The men that I have been with in my life really have difficulty parting with old hardware for some reason.
I can give you a quick reply to this one! This is what you do...

You get a box
You decorate the box yourself where he can see you decorating it
Hopefully he will ask you what you are doing
You give him your biggest smile and tell him you wanted to make him something and so you thought something like a decorated cardboard box would be very personal for him.
When you have painted it (or however you have chosen to decorate it) you place all the old hardware in the box. This is now HIS box. His SPECIAL box that you have made for him.
Hopefully he will be quick on the uptake and start using it...

Have had a little think about your first post and I think the best place to start is with light.
Clean ALL your windows inside and out. Make them gleam and keep them clean...
Draw back all curtains or window coverings and in daylight house it is imperative to have all your rooms as full of light as possible.
Open your windows and start getting the energy moving. Just an hour a day can make quite a difference.
Loo seat down always and as @Pixel Girl says keep doors to bathrooms closed.
For the time being use your back door (I am assuming its a communal front door?)
Don't have ANYTHING blocking the approach to your back door and if you can get a dark coloured tortoise (Stone or metal) online please do so and position it facing your back door. Make sure ALL your doors are scrupulously clean and in good repair so wash the front door inside and out and the back door and internal doors.
If you can face doing a huge Spring clean throughout do it and start now. Start with cleaning ceilings and walls and skirtings. Pull everything out and clean underneath furniture.
I would say that is your starting point although EVERY inch of me is screaming to say put your intention and focus into inviting a property exchange into your life. Put notices on line and do all you can to find a place with a better bathroom placement. My fear for you is that every time you seem to be getting somewhere something drops on you from a height and spoils it. I sense that is the problem in your home at the moment. Can you face moving and doing all you can to make that happen (I ask because you have said this isn't possible). When you focus on something it becomes your dominant thought and your mind follows your dominant thought.
If you can fill bowls with fresh fruit and have fresh flowers where you can see them. You need to get a balance with wood, metal, air and light at the moment. If you don’t like something or haven’t used it for ages give it away. Do as much space clearing as you can but start with light, clean windows and air. PLEASE let us know how you progress. Deep breath and start now...x I have held my hand on the screen of my iPad as I press send and am sending you kind thought and light energy btw.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
So, my bedroom is right above the kitchen, but the bed isn't above the cooker, and there is a huge oak beam that is directly above the bed, right down the centre of where me and my husband sleep! I can't really move the bed and I saw someone mention to have 2 wooden flutes on the beam. Are they literally like musical wooden flutes?

Reactions: 4
Hi everyone,
I have your book too!
Where fertility is concerned I would probably say to use symbols of fertility in your bedroom. Orange I believe is a good colour for fertility. So maybe an orange cushion on your bed, maybe pictures or paintings of eggs. If you like the image of rabbits on cushions or paintings this may help too. In addition I may be tempted to read up on herbs which have been proven to help pregnancy. You also might read up on clearing your sacral chakra too.
I really feel for you - truly. I hope it doesn’t sound flippant that I’ve said about cushions and imagery - however energy IS so powerful! If you can harness it for good and happiness it’s a wonderful cohort to have working alongside you. The great thing with energy is that you can change it quickly (or that has always been my experience anyway). X I am sending you baby energy...👼🍼🐣

So, my bedroom is right above the kitchen, but the bed isn't above the cooker, and there is a huge oak beam that is directly above the bed, right down the centre of where me and my husband sleep! I can't really move the bed and I saw someone mention to have 2 wooden flutes on the beam. Are they literally like musical wooden flutes?
I hadn’t heard of that cure before, I have only heard of a round mirror placed under the bed face down. I would do that anyway for any bedroom over a kitchen. I’d definitely read up on flutes though. I know you can buy them on eBay. Or you could buy decoupage flutes and stick them on and add red ribbon if that imagery works better for you.
A beam directly over your bed symbolises fracture and arguments. If you have a great relationship anyway then clearly its all good and I wouldn’t give it a second thought. If its on your mind though are you able to swap bedrooms at all?

Side note - (when Lydia started talking about beams I really hoped she wouldn’t and thought to myself beams are the last thing she needs)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I hadn’t heard of that cure before, I have only heard of a round mirror placed under the bed face down. I would do that anyway for any bedroom over a kitchen. I’d definitely read up on flutes though. I know you can buy them on eBay. Or you could buy decoupage flutes and stick them on and add red ribbon if that imagery works better for you.
A beam directly over your bed symbolises fracture and arguments. If you have a great relationship anyway then clearly its all good and I wouldn’t give it a second thought. If its on your mind though are you able to swap bedrooms at all?

Side note - (when Lydia started talking about beams I really hoped she wouldn’t and thought to myself beams are the last thing she needs)
oo that's really interesting thank you! It's funny you mention the arguments as me and my husband NEVER really argued for 12 years, then the minute we moved into this house and for the last 4 years, we have had loads of arguments over ridiculous stuff! The trouble is, all the bedrooms have these big beams in them, some have 2 or 3 and they're all in the position where the beds normally go. I'll definitely look into the wooden flutes or decoupage ones. Also going to get a round mirror under the bed too!

• Wow
  • Heart
oo that's really interesting thank you! It's funny you mention the arguments as me and my husband NEVER really argued for 12 years, then the minute we moved into this house and for the last 4 years, we have had loads of arguments over ridiculous stuff! The trouble is, all the bedrooms have these big beams in them, some have 2 or 3 and they're all in the position where the beds normally go. I'll definitely look into the wooden flutes or decoupage ones. Also going to get a round mirror under the bed too!
It’s SO interesting you have said this. It’s also a great example of what goes on energy wise (even if we didn’t know about it).
Are you able to turn your bedroom into a study and have the study (assuming the study is downstairs and minus beams!) as your bedroom? As I write this I am really aware it sounds ridiculous...however, I happen to know quite a bit about beams from my own experience and I will let you know about that at another time.
Beams over your head (especially in a bedroom over the bed) might cause the energy to become oppressive which translates into arguments, fracture of relationship and the feeling of being oppressed.
Please let us know when you get the round mirror and if you notice any difference.
Are you able to cover/disguise the beam? Would it be possible to create a decorative canopy over your bed for instance so that you could not see the beam? This might help diffuse the energy.

• Heart
It’s SO interesting you have said this. It’s also a great example of what goes on energy wise (even if we didn’t know about it).
Are you able to turn your bedroom into a study and have the study (assuming the study is downstairs and minus beams!) as your bedroom? As I write this I am really aware it sounds ridiculous...however, I happen to know quite a bit about beams from my own experience and I will let you know about that at another time.
Beams over your head (especially in a bedroom over the bed) might cause the energy to become oppressive which translates into arguments, fracture of relationship and the feeling of being oppressed.
Please let us know when you get the round mirror and if you notice any difference.
Are you able to cover/disguise the beam? Would it be possible to create a decorative canopy over your bed for instance so that you could not see the beam? This might help diffuse the energy.
We do have other bedrooms we can use but this one really is the master as its got the large ensuite and dressing room off it, so don't really want to give it up! Literally every room in the house, upstairs and downstairs has beams, it's a 300 year old farmhouse so they're an integral part (rather than stick on ones like Lydia would choose ;-) ) But I could move the bed a few feet over so the beam isn't directly down the middle of us, or can put a canopy or something over it to defuse the energy. I'm definitely going to look into it.

It's weird because this is really a total dream house, but from the day we moved in, the most awful things have happened - literally my worst nightmare scenarios. At one point I was convinced it was cursed. I even ended up burning those wooden African face masks that we had, as I heard they can be cursed or bring bad energy. It was a souvenir from Kenya that we brought back from our honeymoon and I burned it in the fire!

In the last 6 months since I've done a lot of clearing out and sorting and putting things in order, things have been notably better. No arguments, much lighter mood etc, but I have considered trying cleansing with sage and getting crystals around. At one stage, I even said we needed to sell because I was so sure the house had a curse!!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
This is fascinating. I have placed a mirror face down under my daughter’s bed - the one who is over the kitchen. I was just wondering- in the Lydia thread, @Oops, you mentioned that your staff members have a Chinese coin, held with red ribbon, on each of their laptops. What is this for?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I have read your post carefully.
I would not presume to make a reply without REALLY thinking hard about it because I am hearing you very well.
I will get back to you when I feel I have had a good think. With your case I think we need to find the right starting point as SO much is happening or has happened.
Get back to you soon x

GREAT! I got my Toad on eBay and he is glass (crystal). He is at pocket height on my staircase facing front door. At one time I had a decoupage screen placed in front of my front door (stairs are facing front door but are not in front of front door) but a delivery man knocked it over and broke the hinges when he was delivering a table. I took that as a sign not to have it there as it never felt right. My FSM said put the toad on the stairs so I did. He liked the screen but although it looked beautiful it didn’t feel right. The screen now lives in a different house. For anyone else if you can live with a folded screen in front of your front door I thought I should just mention it as it may work for others. It’s just a bit fiddly constantly moving it side to side when you need to open the front door though.♥

I can give you a quick reply to this one! This is what you do...

You get a box
You decorate the box yourself where he can see you decorating it
Hopefully he will ask you what you are doing
You give him your biggest smile and tell him you wanted to make him something and so you thought something like a decorated cardboard box would be very personal for him.
When you have painted it (or however you have chosen to decorate it) you place all the old hardware in the box. This is now HIS box. His SPECIAL box that you have made for him.
Hopefully he will be quick on the uptake and start using it...

Have had a little think about your first post and I think the best place to start is with light.
Clean ALL your windows inside and out. Make them gleam and keep them clean...
Draw back all curtains or window coverings and in daylight house it is imperative to have all your rooms as full of light as possible.
Open your windows and start getting the energy moving. Just an hour a day can make quite a difference.
Loo seat down always and as @Pixel Girl says keep doors to bathrooms closed.
For the time being use your back door (I am assuming its a communal front door?)
Don't have ANYTHING blocking the approach to your back door and if you can get a dark coloured tortoise (Stone or metal) online please do so and position it facing your back door. Make sure ALL your doors are scrupulously clean and in good repair so wash the front door inside and out and the back door and internal doors.
If you can face doing a huge Spring clean throughout do it and start now. Start with cleaning ceilings and walls and skirtings. Pull everything out and clean underneath furniture.
I would say that is your starting point although EVERY inch of me is screaming to say put your intention and focus into inviting a property exchange into your life. Put notices on line and do all you can to find a place with a better bathroom placement. My fear for you is that every time you seem to be getting somewhere something drops on you from a height and spoils it. I sense that is the problem in your home at the moment. Can you face moving and doing all you can to make that happen (I ask because you have said this isn't possible). When you focus on something it becomes your dominant thought and your mind follows your dominant thought.
If you can fill bowls with fresh fruit and have fresh flowers where you can see them. You need to get a balance with wood, metal, air and light at the moment. If you don’t like something or haven’t used it for ages give it away. Do as much space clearing as you can but start with light, clean windows and air. PLEASE let us know how you progress. Deep breath and start now...x I have held my hand on the screen of my iPad as I press send and am sending you kind thought and light energy btw.
Thankyou so much and to others who have given advice! I really do love this thread. Its so lovely. Such beautiful people taking their time to help ❤ sending you all my good vibes too.

I do get to see my older children. But they are settled with their grandmother (my first husbands mother) who took it upon herself to take them from the care system (two brothers and one isn't their blood relative at all so we are so lucky to have such a wonderful woman in our lives.) I see them often but I'm not yet granted overnights at my own house yet - Covid got in the way of assessments which were positive and glowing! So you are very right once I get somewhere, it seems something comes from nowhere and spoils it!

I'm so very grateful for your advice! I ordered myself some beautiful colour paint today in nice cool neutrals. I will look online for a tortoise now 🥰

• Heart
NO! Beams are bad? I pine for beams, and dream of moving to England and having an old house dripping with beams. Curiously, my English MIL always says she would never buy a house that had beams in the bedrooms, or sloped ceilings, and I just thought her eccentric.

• Haha