Feathering the empty nest.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That post today has really annoyed me. She thinks she’s the bloody authority on baby loss & all her opinions are correct! People say the things from her ‘list’ because they don’t know what else to say. They so desperately want to be there for you & say something to comfort & soothe but know that nothing they ever say will take away the absolute gut wrenching pain you feel. I would rather my friends & family said any of those things, than nothing at all.
Agreed! She really thinks she is THE authority on baby loss, doesn't she? Queen Elle is back on the scene to tell us, once again, all the things we're doing wrong.
What she fails to recognise is that people really have no idea what to say but they are desperate to say something, anything to fill the air and try, try, try to be there for you. It's a horrific situation and in an effort to be supportive and "help" people often say the wrong things. My brother lost his wife last year unexpectedly (pre-covid) and at the services, people said all sorts. Sometimes they were the absolute wrong things to say, like 'everything happens for a reason' or 'this is part of God's plan', and those sorts of statements can grate on you when you're grieving, but it's important to realise that people are trying to do their best and support you in the ways they know how, and that is really worth a lot. Be gracious that they are there for you, even if they don't always say the 'right' things. Elle wouldn't know how to be gracious if it hit her on the head.
I've had people say those things she lists as wrong to me, and it didn't anger me at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. I was so glad people wanted to be with me when I was at my worst, especially friends who were pregnant (when you are around someone who has lost a child and you're expecting it's some scary tit, but I was lucky none of my pregnant friends ever abandoned ship because they felt uncomfortable). I also realised that so many people had no idea what I was going through so couldn't possibly know the "right" things to say, you can imagine it, but until you have lost a child it's impossible to really know that pain, same goes for losing a spouse or a sister or brother or any other number of losses that happen when people are 'too young'. Those same people would never read Elle's book, not because they don't care about baby loss, but because her book is for people who are either her 'fans' or people who have also gone through baby loss. I agree that her book was full of stuff like this: "More people should have been there for me, but when people were there for me they said the wrong things." That's not helpful and frankly, it's insane to have these impossible expectations of people. It speaks to her entitlement and her idea that she is better than everyone else and knows ALL THE THINGS about baby loss, so listen up peasants. Most people are fixers by nature, we want to make things better, we want to fix things when they go wrong, and often when we feel like we can't fix something, we say something instead and it's not always the right thing but it's always coming from a place of love and care. Can you imagine being her friend and being asked to live up to these insane and unattainable standards of perfection? Perhaps that's why some of her friends weren't there for her after such a profound loss. I've had the exact opposite experiences in life, both in my own loss and when family or friends have lost someone. People flock to you to support you because the loss is so big and painful. There might be a person here or there who can't manage the uncomfortableness of loss, but most people are desperate to help in any way they can. Why didn't people flock to her side? Could it be her? Just a thought.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I agree with so much of what is being said here about Elle's attitude. I think it's so clear that her story has been widely shared because she's not just palatable, but so much of what she has, ie looks, nice house, taste, etc are "goals" for so many.

But having racked up a number of miscarriages before having my daughter, I can empathise with confusion at some of those comments. "Try and enjoy it"? Enjoy a pregnancy when you've only ever had loss, what's to enjoy? It's absolutely a silly statement. "Lightning doesn't strike twice". Who would be silly enough to try and predict whether your next baby will make it or not?

I think the fact that she is seen as a Saint, when we know otherwise, is perhaps colouring people's view of what she was trying to do with that post. I think she was just trying to say what so many people that have been through loss think of those statements. They're not helpful and in the midst of grief, they can be really painful.

Honestly, I'm not defending the fact that she's a "mean girl", she really is. She's cliquey, privileged and has come back on to make some more money and keep her stake as an influencer, but that's just my take on that post she put up.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Latest post, holds up a badge saying ‘Baby On Board’ to get all the disciples excited 😀😀. Oh no, no baby on board, just a pre-cursor post for upcoming book - with her musings on pregnancy after loss. Book release for VD or Mother’s Day methinks 💤💤. Oh and she’s limited comments to just her followers. Get over yerself love, most of us watch you on Instagram viewing sites anyway and I bet you LOVE that 😂😂
She does need to get over herself doesn’t she! Also, that whole passive aggressive post about how offensive peoples comments are. Jeez! Like anyone would purposely say something to hurt her. My daughter is autistic and some of my closest friends often tell me that they don’t think she’s “that bad”. They have NO bleeping idea, the impact it has on our whole family, but I know that the people who make these comments are just trying to help and say what they think I want to hear so I thank them for their reassurance. There’s no malice in it at all. She really is showing herself as an utter witch!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I agree with so much of what is being said here about Elle's attitude. I think it's so clear that her story has been widely shared because she's not just palatable, but so much of what she has, ie looks, nice house, taste, etc are "goals" for so many.

But having racked up a number of miscarriages before having my daughter, I can empathise with confusion at some of those comments. "Try and enjoy it"? Enjoy a pregnancy when you've only ever had loss, what's to enjoy? It's absolutely a silly statement. "Lightning doesn't strike twice". Who would be silly enough to try and predict whether your next baby will make it or not?

I think the fact that she is seen as a Saint, when we know otherwise, is perhaps colouring people's view of what she was trying to do with that post. I think she was just trying to say what so many people that have been through loss think of those statements. They're not helpful and in the midst of grief, they can be really painful.

Honestly, I'm not defending the fact that she's a "mean girl", she really is. She's cliquey, privileged and has come back on to make some more money and keep her stake as an influencer, but that's just my take on that post she put up.
I know what you are saying. People say things without thinking and some of those statements are edged with ignorance and unkindness, like the lightening doesn't strike twice one, but others are not meant to be malicious or hurtful. I was told a lot to try and relax and that people were excited for me to finally have a happy ending. I can't understand why this is thought to be awful or inappropriate. Those aren't unkind statements. They can be helpful and are meant to be kind. So many people said, "Finally!! You're going to have your baby!" This was constant at my baby shower in the later days as things had continued to go well. I too shouted "YASSSS, FINALLY!" with them as we all celebrated a happy ending after all the loss and anxiety, it was positive and celebratory, it was lovely to be lifted up in that way. I wasn't a selfish cow going around telling people not to be excited for us. I mean, come on. I was told by people who love me to try and relax and given advice on ways to actually relax because I was very tightly wound in the early days of pregnancy (as well as the much later days), I was constantly poised for tragedy. I needed people to help me out of that. It's not the same as telling someone with depression to "cheer up". When you've lost a child, people are and will be excited for you when you are pregnant again. How foolish to expect them not to express that excitement, especially if they have been on the journey with you and are just as broken and sad as you are about what has happened. Our baby was loved by all of our family and friends, everyone was devastated when she died and everyone was thrilled when a new life was created. Let people be excited for you for duck's sake, they deserve it and you deserve it. In the early days of my pregnancy my mother continually told me to 'try and enjoy it, it's what you've wanted for so long and what you deserve'. I bet you Elle would think those statements were the absolute wrong things to say, but I didn't see it that way at all. I saw it as my mother trying to help me through the anxiety of pregnancy after loss and also to help me to actually enjoy being pregnant instead of always focusing on what could happen. Because although it is so stressful to be pregnant after loss, it is still a really great time in your life and you should be told and helped to enjoy it by people who care about you and want you to be happy and healthy. My very best friend said often, "It will be different this time, I just know it." It wasn't said to invalidate my worry or to hurt me, it was said to reassure me, and she genuinely felt this time was different. Did she have a crystal ball? Of course not, but she felt it in her heart and I am glad she shared that with me and I was gracious about it. People are trying to love you and support you, let them do it in their own way, and if they say something that is way off the mark, use it as a learning experience and tell them how you feel about what they've said and why. I get what she is trying to do, but I think she just comes across as her usual smug, know it all, self. But it could be because I can't stand her. ;)

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I have never sat back and criticised a word family members or friends said to me after my loss because I equally acknowledge that sometimes, even having been through it, I don’t know what to say to somebody experiencing it themselves. There is nothing to say, nothing would be ‘right’ as such, but knowing that somebody is supporting you and trying to reassure you is better than them saying nothing at all and it being even more isolating than it is already.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I struggle to dislike her knowing what she went through. However I read her book and I do think some of it, the way she speaks about people and them saying the wrong things is harsh. Yes it's painful but people (in my opinion don't mean harm, they panic and say stupid things). Someone I went to school with lost her child and she shares her story and is very clear people get it wrong but she tries to focus on them not knowing what to say and by saying something they are showing they care.
She also does so much fundraising (not raised as much as Elle). I believe this is because she's not as well to do and not as 'good looking' which is a shame.
She also is honest and says she struggles to know what to say to peoole who suffer loss as everyone tea is with this so different

She has done so much good things for baby loss but I kind of lost respect for her even she did an advert for see tickets dancing in a crop top to spice girls.
I'm glad her pregnancy went well and wish her nothing but the best. But that doesn't mean I think she's a saint.

Has she got a new book out? Did I miss this

Reactions: 9
I’ve had to unfollow her - can’t put my finger on what it is but her return to Instagram just feels forced, does anyone else feel the same? Like she’s not really interested in being there? And I know this probably makes me an absolute witch but its like the baby loss content is in overdrive and I’m a bit fed up of seeing it 😖

Reactions: 17
I’ve had to unfollow her - can’t put my finger on what it is but her return to Instagram just feels forced, does anyone else feel the same? Like she’s not really interested in being there? And I know this probably makes me an absolute witch but its like the baby loss content is in overdrive and I’m a bit fed up of seeing it 😖
I agree. She doesn't really want to be back. Which I don't blame her for. Im just a bit annoyed its for a book and not because she wanted to.

Im guessing she saving her birth story for the book? She insuinated in a post last year it was a bit unplanned and dramatic. But said "that's a story for another day"

Reactions: 14
I agree. She doesn't really want to be back. Which I don't blame her for. Im just a bit annoyed its for a book and not because she wanted to.

Im guessing she saving her birth story for the book? She insuinated in a post last year it was a bit unplanned and dramatic. But said "that's a story for another day"
That’s a story you’ll have to pay for more like 💰

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I have to say that I agree that it doesn’t feel like she wants to be back or just struggling to balance what to talk about now she’s back with a baby that she’s said she won’t be talking about.

personally I struggle with the support small business stuff constantly. For me and my partner keeping our head above water at the moment is a priority and spending £40 on a cardigan for a baby doesn’t feel relatable.

I would call myself a fan of Elle and I hope she finds her flowers with instragm again

Reactions: 15

Instagram is a business to her. Hopefully people are starting to see through her a bit more now. Of course nobody minds her taking a few months off with her baby. Now, however, book 2 is on the horizon so she’s back with her fake caring. All she cares about is herself, her family and the dollar imo. Just not doing so good a job of hiding it now 😏😒

Reactions: 14
Is it just me or does Elle seem a little bit overwhelmed at the moment? For example saying she’s got 254363662 things to do and then comparing herself to a dead Christmas tree? Or she could just be trying to be “relatable”...

• Sick
Reactions: 6
Is it just me or does Elle seem a little bit overwhelmed at the moment? For example saying she’s got 254363662 things to do and then comparing herself to a dead Christmas tree? Or she could just be trying to be “relatable”...
Far from relatable..... to be honest the baby is now a big part of her life, we see snippets - clothes etc abs I truly get why she doesn’t share. It’s her choice and neither would I share. But her life has changed from the account she’s left and now returned too. And it feels as though she’s lost her way and it shows.

Her account has not moved on in line with her life..... there is no longer an empty nest... I know Teddy will always be a big part of her life (and I’m not saying otherwise), and appreciate she does lots for the neonatal, Tommy’s etc. But the. her account moved to IVF and numerous attempts and further losses, then the pregnancy. And now she has her take home baby her account has stood still.

Almost in “wait mode” Waits for the next book as I’m sure that will be the next move.

Reactions: 12
Far from relatable..... to be honest the baby is now a big part of her life, we see snippets - clothes etc abs I truly get why she doesn’t share. It’s her choice and neither would I share. But her life has changed from the account she’s left and returned too. And I feel as though she’s lost her way and it shows.

Her account has not moved on in line with her life..... there is no longer an empty nest... I know Teddy will always be a big part of her life (and I’m not saying otherwise), and appreciate she does lots for the neonatal, Tommy’s etc. her account then moved to IVF and numerous attempts and further losses. And now she has her take home baby her account has stood still. Almost in “wait mode” Waits for the next book as I’m sure that will be the next move.
I wonder what will become of the account after book 2 is done and dusted. She's back but not really at the moment. She hasn't actually shown herself yet just stuff she's bought and Boris. Agree with everyone above saying it feels like she's been dragged back but doesn't really want to be there.

Reactions: 10
I wonder what will become of the account after book 2 is done and dusted. She's back but not really at the moment. She hasn't actually shown herself yet just stuff she's bought and Boris. Agree with everyone above saying it feels like she's been dragged back but doesn't really want to be there.
The book deal was probably 2-3 books in a given period.

Reactions: 4
Has anyone seen her comment on Cara’s snow day post? I don’t see her often commenting so was surprised. But I know they are ‘friends’
Well ones you meet on Instagram What’s the word. Oh yes an Influencer friend 😏

Reactions: 3
She’s boring the hell out of me. She doesn’t want to post about the baby and that’s fine but she’s lost her way. She’s totally lost her identity now; she can’t be arsed and it shows!

Reactions: 7
Whatever she’s trying to do I’m finding it all a bit 😴😴. She’s only back on cos she’s got her new book to flog 🙄🙄

Has anyone seen her comment on Cara’s snow day post? I don’t see her often commenting so was surprised. But I know they are ‘friends’
Well ones you meet on Instagram What’s the word. Oh yes an Influencer friend 😏
Influ-friend 😀😀

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.