Fathering Autism #2 Selling autism, gluttonous lifestyle, and pyramid schemes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What exactly does Abbie do all day at school? Lean how to load a dish washer? Put food into pantry? Define life skills for me at $45,000 a year tuition. What do the high functioning students do during the day?

here is the website for jsa

So they have many different curriculums based on age and developmental level... not sure what Abbie does tho.. other than the videos they have shown us. I can't imagine her being in a classroom type situation.

Reactions: 5
What exactly does Abbie do all day at school? Lean how to load a dish washer? Put food into pantry? Define life skills for me at $45,000 a year tuition. What do the high functioning students do during the day?
They do not take high functioning students, per say, or shouldn't be, by what I can tell.
This is a private school and they interview the student and parents before accepting enrollment. They will look through medical and mental health records, to make sure your child would fit into their school. JSA is a pre-vocational and vocational school, for children that are more towards the moderate/severe and severe Autism community.
Of course, those labels are gone now, so it is hard for them to tell with the new DSM-V because a level 1 person with Autism, could have been labeled as severe with the old standards and a level 5 person with Autism, could have been labeled as high-functioning.. Of course, everyone hated the high-functioning, moderate and severe labels, so the American Psychiatric Association had to reissue new standards for testing, evaluating and labeling..
So, the actual standard would be that they would accept students that could have long-term goals for independent living and vocational jobs.. This isn't a place where a high-functioning student with college or university mind-set, excelling in educational settings, would need enrollment. They may do therapies and intense educational settings for short-term, to get a child into being ready for an educational setting, that functions way higher but I haven't seen much about higher education for students..

Reactions: 6
Exactly, it is more learning to follow a line, do things outside their comfortability and follow assembly instructions with little to no oversight. Vocational Rehabilitation does the same thing through the school systems, when a child gets towards middle/high school. There are certain classrooms that remove textbooks and curriculum and concentrate only on those skills. Abbie's school does bring in more arts and music though, which most schools remove. Also, public schools would have the students doing things daily around the schools, like sorting mail with someone, restocking library shelves with someone, wiping down and sweeping the cafeteria, etc... Her school takes them more out into the public, working at certain jobs around town (the public schools may do it but at a much lower attendance)... Our public schools EC rooms don't have time for much art (they usually do them around holidays) and music is not within the budget...
I have worked in classrooms through middle and high schools. We still have other classrooms that have full curriculum and textbooks though. We have students that are mainstreamed. I haven't seen that at JSA at all though..

I really think Abbie is behind because they don’t work with her enough at home.

She seems to get the concept of some things but her parents are lazy.

Reactions: 8
Asa has addressed it in previous videos. He says that he's not as concerned about Abbie being late to school because it's not like she's going to a regular school learning math & science where it would be a bigger deal if she got behind because of being late. At JSA, they're teaching her life skills which he feels he's partly already doing at home by helping her brush her teeth etc and get ready to go. So basically, he feels she isn't really missing anything at school if she's late. He also made it seem like the teachers are not bothered by it (but that could be BS for all we know).
So really it seems like the school is just their daytime babysitters .

I really think Abbie is behind because they don’t work with her enough at home.

She seems to get the concept of some things but her parents are lazy.
Oh yes! Asa even admits it!! She needed to be using any device she has to communicate.. If she has it in her hands, she needs to be able to try and communicate with it. Them admitting that her school iPad stays in her bag, just makes me cringe...

• Heart
I admit that I have no personal experience with Autism or IDD but I have a question.
Would it be realistically plausible that Abbie, as severe as she is, ever be able to do or even hold a job?
I just do not see that for her.
Not that I don't have hope - because I do. It's just...the way she is not able to do anything at all without prompting, has no impulse control or memory.
Most of the time she's in her own world and I don't think she even realizes where she is in space and time. IMO.
Am I being unrealistic about my thoughts regarding Abbie's job future?

Reactions: 10
Oh yes! Asa even admits it!! She needed to be using any device she has to communicate.. If she has it in her hands, she needs to be able to try and communicate with it. Them admitting that her school iPad stays in her bag, just makes me cringe...
Another slap in the face to parents of disabled children who can’t afford those things. I believe a viewer bought them one at one point.

It really makes me mad when they say they misplaced her communication device. How do you misplace a big tablet like that or not keep up with it?

Asa has addressed it in previous videos. He says that he's not as concerned about Abbie being late to school because it's not like she's going to a regular school learning math & science where it would be a bigger deal if she got behind because of being late. At JSA, they're teaching her life skills which he feels he's partly already doing at home by helping her brush her teeth etc and get ready to go. So basically, he feels she isn't really missing anything at school if she's late. He also made it seem like the teachers are not bothered by it (but that could be BS for all we know).
I think if my severely disabled child was learning life skills at this school (pretty much the only consistent place she does), I would make it a habit to be ON TIME! Also how did “you need to talk to Abbie more” in December turn into “Abbie understands normal conversation”?
Also Summer is definitely getting tired of them.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
here is the website for jsa

So they have many different curriculums based on age and developmental level... not sure what Abbie does tho.. other than the videos they have shown us. I can't imagine her being in a classroom type situation.
I could not find a definitive lesson plan for a child like Abbie. Very vague in terms of what is being done each day. Learning implies a change in behavior and P said Abbie forgets most of what she learned in the past. So is she learning or memorizing a rote set of information that will be forgotten.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I watched a Coopers Voice and he seems way more functional then Abbie. He had more of an attention span and looks right at his mom when she speaks to her. Looks like he is on his way to possibly talking.

I’m starting to understand Cilla and her faces.

I wonder how many of her violent streaks get cut out during editing.

I’m starting to understand Cilla and her faces.

I wonder how many of her violent streaks get cut out during editing.
I have wondered that too. 😆
Or just don't get vlogged at all...which is understandable, except their motto is anything for the vlog, IMO.
She really has never liked 🐖cilla, has she? 😆
It really is as if Abbie was left to her own devices with only minimal human contact. IMO.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.