Fathering Autism #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A$$a, if you're reading here please include the word "asparagus" in your vlog in the next few days.
That’s tickled me

Thank you so much. I really feel like you get where I'm coming from.

I think that's what attracted me to the Maass's in the first place. Asa used to talk about the struggle, struggling with hopelessness and helplessness. Even when I was reading thru his blog that was posted here. That was relatable and real. I miss those people.

I tell myself, my kids are seven and three. I have time. It'll be okay. I wonder if they said the same things to themselves. (Obviously I am in a very contemplative mood today)

They used to seem more honest about abbie and how she would be. They have gone in complete denial. It's sad but they've talked about the difficulty before in giving up/ the death of dreams. You have these hopes and dreams for your children and when the diagnosis comes in, it completely changes. You have the same child, obviously. But suddenly those dreams may seem more impossible.

Sorry for long post/ bringing down anyone's mood. I appreciate you all listening haha
I am sure you will get the best from your kiddies as you give them the best in care. Love and consistency. Keep your chin up.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
For what it’s worth... I absolutely HATE Walmart and will do anything to avoid that place. I actually hate driving too ... due to a horrible accident that nearly had me dead. Unfortunately I have to drive and sometimes have to go in Walmart. I fee my panic attacks coming on HOURS before they start. All the pharmaceutical drugs in the world that I’ve tried won’t help with this. Sorry for anyone too conservative or that doesn’t wanna hear it ... but my only escape has been shrooms. Micro dosing works wonders for me.
I feel ya, babe. When I was a single parent and had to do the grocery shopping, I would stress out for days in advance. And about the shrooms, hey whatever works, my friend. The people that would judge you have probably never been in your place.

So if they know that she hates Walmart ... why are they always testing her? Seems like abuse to me. Even in other situations where I don’t want to be in, at least I have a voice to say “I need to go outside real quick.” She doesn’t have that option... the only way she knows how is to ask for the bathroom. Which also, I do escape to the bathroom when I’m in uncomfortable situations due to my high anxiety. So I get her wanting to do that all the time... cause they always love to put her in those situations to test her limits. For all we and they know, the drugs they’re using on her probably have an adverse effect. And he’s so reluctant to listen to experts and doctors, so there is probably no way that they will get her the right treatment she needs to actually regulate her emotions and moods.
This exactly. I mean, they KNOW that Abbie will never be in a position where she has to go to Walmart, grocery shopping, etc. So why put her in that stressful situation? They're a two-parent family with access to respite care - there's just no reason to put her through this. Necessary things like going to the doctor? Yes absolutely, a game-plan needs to be put in place. But Walmart? That's just torture for someone with sensory issues, especially as you say, someone that is unable to convey oncoming distress.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
@lovesis i know your ABA question was directed towards someone else... but just wanted to put in my thoughts on the topic. In college, I wanted to major in psychology but “intro to psychology” was very off putting... when they began to teach us about ABA and EST. So I turned my back on that field. The way I’ve seen it is that ABA resembles dog training. Now, when you train a dog, do you consistently give them a treat for taking a tit outside instead of indoors? Do you continue to give them treats when they behave and don’t tear up your furniture (basically everyday you come home and you everything is intact.) When you ask them to sit and they sit, you wouldn’t give them a treat. That defeats the purpose of their training. The point is to get them to act and behave in a desired manner, and then treats become “treats” rather than “reinforcers.”
The way these people “control” Abbie is through treats and this will never stop. She completes anything in the world and asks for treats. So, in my eyes, she’s associated every activity and task with a treat. In one vlog, Ass has to bribe her with a treat just to her in the car. WTF! They also will give her cereal or whatever she wants just because she “communicates effectively” asking for everything she normally does ... bathroom (to escape their weird asses), car ride, pretzel... etc. I’ll find that particular vlog and post in on here so everyone knows what I’m talking about!
It's just like trying to get an animal into a carrier to move it or take it to the vet. Dangle a treat in front of it's face and it will go in the carrier or cage. My dad used to have 2 servals (benny and jenny) when my brother and I were about 8 years old and when he would have to take them to receive vet care, he would have to put a treat in the back of Benny's carrier just to get him in there and quickly shut the gate behind him. That's what them giving Abigail treats to get in the car reminds me of. It's just like any handler would do with any pet animal. Humans aren't supposed to work like that.

Not like a teenager but like a toddler. See...touch...taste. That is the level she is on.
That is so true. I think a lot of people, myself included, tend to forget the level she is truly at. A 14-year-old toddler. When I saw this, I actually laughed, with a slight bit of Ewwww. I mean, after seeing everything that girl grabs and sticks in her mouth, nothing should really shock us any longer. 🤷‍♀️

With all the "typical teen" spewing they do, I'm kind of shocked he showed this, as it does not fit the narrative at all of who they want the world to believe Abbie really is.

She can't be both, she is either a forever toddler in a growing body, who needs to be treated as such or an average "typical teen" who has her grown-up bedroom, all for show.

Now you have that song rocking out in my head...🎶🎵

• Heart
Reactions: 16
The fact that Asswipe posted this for the world to see proves that he has ZERO respect for his daughter. Assa you’re a POS
Agree. She should never participate in these types of activities with her pica. My son suffers from this condition and I wouldn't put him or myself through this. No telling what type of parasites and etc this soil is contaminated with. :sick:

Reactions: 17
Well i guess next he will film her eating pullup contents. He really is a asshole. There was no reason for him to post her eating dirt.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
This is truth! We parent from we know or think, have experienced or missed. And somehow...most kids tend to survive it.

My kids ate dirt, played in the dirt, rain through a sprinkler and played with shaving cream and did it all with no shoes on their feet. They also had some temper tantrums and acted like little shits sometimes. But....they are ok now, they come out as decent human beings somehow.
Yes, it is, 100% truth! Yours came out as decent human beings because someone took the time to parent them properly.🙂🙂

I grew up on 5 acres, with 2 brothers and we each had big wheels, dirtbikes, pogo sticks, go-karts, compound bows, sprinkler fun, no shoes, we were dirty by the time we came inside, no internet, freaking landlines, no email only snail mail, but wow, did we have fun! Looking back, we had the time of our lives, you name it, we did it. It was where I learned my love of photography and spiders, and looking back, it was one of the most amazing periods of my life. It was like a different world.

My son has grown up much differently, with neighbors close by, a fenced-in backyard, but I still managed to allow him the fun of experiencing the outdoors as I did, right in our own yard, at parks, playing in puddles on our street or cruising the sidewalks in his 6V mustang.😂😂..(a 10 house cul de sac with minimal traffic!!) My mom had a very clean house, but for some reason she never had us remove shoes. I'm different, shoes off, and feet must be clean, or put on socks! The rest gets taken care of in the shower! Sorry so long!

Rock on, my friend!!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
This exactly. I mean, they KNOW that Abbie will never be in a position where she has to go to Walmart, grocery shopping, etc. So why put her in that stressful situation? They're a two-parent family with access to respite care - there's just no reason to put her through this. Necessary things like going to the doctor? Yes absolutely, a game-plan needs to be put in place. But Walmart? That's just torture for someone with sensory issues, especially as you say, someone that is unable to convey oncoming distress.
Same like how they take her to the gas station and ask her to pick a snack... then they have her go to the cashier and hold up the damn line. Why? Because they want to show her how to pay for items. Too little, too late and most likely not an achievable goal. Cashier is looking at them like “damn I’m not getting paid enough to deal with this... hurry up and buy!” Also... when they go to ice cream shops and they ask her what she wants... when they already know what she wants and decide for her anyway. The girl is going to point at anything... the confusion on the workers’ faces is so uncomfortable to watch... and again ... holding up the damn line when you know exactly what she wants. Smh. Selfish, stupid motherfuckers.

• Heart
I think Asa and Priscilla have been telling themselves these little lies for so long that they actually believe them now.

I think it's a lot of denial. Imagine how discouraging it must be to really realise that you will someday be parenting a 30yo infant?

I dont really watch them anymore but when I do, it's because I can see a lot in common between Abbie and my 3yo. I remember watching a vlog about a year ago (dont remember what one) but abbie was running around, yelling and flailing, putting everything in her mouth.

At the time, my then 2yo would chew on rocks, metal, the table, you name it. He still does occasionally. He absolutely destroyed his teeth doing it too (I was fast, but not fast enough!)

Anyway. I broke down crying watching that video. The idea that I could be still doing what I'm doing now ten years from now was... heavy. I know this is mean. I just sometimes am not sure if I have the fortitude for it.

Not sure where I'm going with this but wanted to share. I think this is partly why I still feel bad for them sometimes. I see the years ahead of them stretching out, endless, with little progress or change and it's like... no wonder they drink. No wonder they struggle with their weight.
It's not mean, it's honest. Don't ever think that your being mean just because your sharing how you feel. Even if it's something someone else may not want to hear, it dosen't matter. It's how you feel and it's the truth. The reason I started watching FA in the beginning is I thought that I could relate to them bc, I have an autistic daughter as well. In the beginning I thought that they were good ppl but, the more I watched, the more I started to see that I had NOTHING in common with those ppl. They make videos just to make money off of their daughter....I started watching them bc I love my daughter more than life itself and I thought I could get some tips to help make things easier for her. They don't discipline their daughter bc, they are too lazy......I DO discipline my daughter bc, i want her to succeed and be the best person she can be. They spend zero time with just Abigail doing what SHE loves.......I make sure I spend time with my daughter, doing what SHE loves every single day. I could go on and on about how much that I DONT have in common with these ppl and I bet your the same. This family will say whatever they have to say to make a buck and I am the opposite. I will tell the truth even if it gets me in trouble. I know the feeling of not knowing if you've got the courage or not.......but, over the years, I have figured out that all you really have to do is have that strong maternal love for your child and if you have that, it pretty much helps everything else fall into place. For you to even question if you have the fortitude tells me that you definitely have that strong love for your son. You are doing great.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
That is so true. I think a lot of people, myself included, tend to forget the level she is truly at. A 14-year-old toddler. When I saw this, I actually laughed, with a slight bit of Ewwww. I mean, after seeing everything that girl grabs and sticks in her mouth, nothing should really shock us any longer. 🤷‍♀️

With all the "typical teen" spewing they do, I'm kind of shocked he showed this, as it does not fit the narrative at all of who they want the world to believe Abbie really is.

She can't be both, she is either a forever toddler in a growing body, who needs to be treated as such or an average "typical teen" who has her grown-up bedroom, all for show.

Now you have that song rocking out in my head...🎶🎵
Yes I was thinking the same thing. They usually avoid showing her do things that doesn’t align with being a typical teen. But again, this gives viewers that “cute” “mischievous” behavior they love. Although they say she’s a “typical teenager” they still want to show she’s also severely autistic. They like to play both sides of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Its always good to show your 14 year old "typical teenager", eating dirt and having to fish it out of her mouth with your own fingers just like a 6 month old baby, isnt it?
And we were worried about her eating leftovers.....phfffffff!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Yes I was thinking the same thing. They usually avoid showing her do things that doesn’t align with being a typical teen. But again, this gives viewers that “cute” “mischievous” behavior they love. Although they say she’s a “typical teenager” they still want to show she’s also severely autistic. They like to play both sides of it.
When its convenient.

When its convenient.
Definitely think that they know their viewers love the crazy side of Abbie. That’s the only reason why I myself watch is because I have never seen anything like this in my life. Human curiosity ... you know? To add to her wild ways, here are a bunch of “adults” that have no idea how to treat this kid. It’s quite entertaining. I’ve always been a fan of insightful documentaries - really into cults, true crime, etc- and somehow their vlogs feel like I’m watching a never ending documentary on the “human mind and how it works.” I imagine Morgan Freeman narrating and everything. But it’s also one where you can always predict the next few scenes and that sort of thing. Much like the show “Survivor” from back in the day. I look at their channel as though it’s some sort of social experiment ... and then when I come here I compare my thoughts to the others’. Hey Assa! that should be #11 on your list of things to do during quarantine. Also, the stark difference between us people here and their rabid fans is interesting to me. Someone earlier mentioned we even write better than they do... hmm I wonder why!

• Heart
  • Haha
With kids like Abbie you use the same strategies that you should be using with other kids - just at a slower pace. So modeling, consistency (ex: not letting Abbie take food from P's plate & then punishing her for doing it at other times), repetition, intermittent positive reinforcement (which others have mentioned), breaking things down into multiple tiny steps, minimizing high stress situations (not taking your autistic kid to Walmart when it's not necessary - focus on going to the doctor, hairdresser, etc). And perhaps most importantly - TEACHING TO SELF-SOOTHE! Kiddo is stressed, having a panic attack or meltdown? Teach them to remove themselves from the situation/signal to you that they need to leave, breathing exercises, distraction (use of a sensory toy, etc).

Now keep in mind that this is coming from a "high functioning" (even though I hate that term, too) autistic mom of a teenage daughter with an adjusted cognitive age of approx. 5 years old. So I'm not in as challenging of a situation as it must be with Abbie.
My daughter is 11, almost 12 and is autistic. (She is what some would consider high functioning. I would say her cognitive age is maybe 8 or 9 so, not too much behind what she truly is.) We have never really had problems with anything but social situations and alot of getting obsessed with things. The few times that she has had anxiety in certain situations (we went to a little zoo in our town and the smell and the barn area were not too comfortable for her) she will just say," Mom, I don't want to do this, I would like to go somewhere else for right now.", and that's it. I honestly don't think Abigail has autism at all, I think it's strictly IDD and they are just using autism bc, it's marketable. It's "trendy" to have an autistic child apparently. I think if they would look into therapies for IDD that they would have better results. It's sort of like treating the common cold with nicotine gum.....it's useless.

Definitely think that they know their viewers love the crazy side of Abbie. That’s the only reason why I myself watch is because I have never seen anything like this in my life. Human curiosity ... you know? To add to her wild ways, here are a bunch of “adults” that have no idea how to treat this kid. It’s quite entertaining. I’ve always been a fan of insightful documentaries - really into cults, true crime, etc- and somehow their vlogs feel like I’m watching a never ending documentary on the “human mind and how it works.” I imagine Morgan Freeman narrating and everything. But it’s also one where you can always predict the next few scenes and that sort of thing. Much like the show “Survivor” from back in the day. I look at their channel as though it’s some sort of social experiment ... and then when I come here I compare my thoughts to the others’. Hey Assa! that should be #11 on your list of things to do during quarantine. Also, the stark difference between us people here and their rabid fans is interesting to me. Someone earlier mentioned we even write better than they do... hmm I wonder why!
Yes, I guess when you take a bunch of half wits that think that watching a 14 year old eat dirt is cute, your going to get better grammar. Lol

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Agree. She should never participate in these types of activities with her pica. My son suffers from this condition and I wouldn't put him or myself through this. No telling what type of parasites and etc this soil is contaminated with. :sick:
I remember when the first planted their 'garden". They were concerned about the puppy eating the dirt because of the fertilizer. But I guess it's ok when they let Abbie eat it.

• Sick
  • Sad
I think Asa and Priscilla have been telling themselves these little lies for so long that they actually believe them now.

I think it's a lot of denial. Imagine how discouraging it must be to really realise that you will someday be parenting a 30yo infant?

I dont really watch them anymore but when I do, it's because I can see a lot in common between Abbie and my 3yo. I remember watching a vlog about a year ago (dont remember what one) but abbie was running around, yelling and flailing, putting everything in her mouth.

At the time, my then 2yo would chew on rocks, metal, the table, you name it. He still does occasionally. He absolutely destroyed his teeth doing it too (I was fast, but not fast enough!)

Anyway. I broke down crying watching that video. The idea that I could be still doing what I'm doing now ten years from now was... heavy. I know this is mean. I just sometimes am not sure if I have the fortitude for it.

Not sure where I'm going with this but wanted to share. I think this is partly why I still feel bad for them sometimes. I see the years ahead of them stretching out, endless, with little progress or change and it's like... no wonder they drink. No wonder they struggle with their weight.
I agree with you. I feel bad for them sometimes too. They desperately want Abbie to be “normal” when she is not after 14 years nor will she ever be. Not even close. In fact, remaining at a toddler mentality. I’m afraid I would be finding ways to “check out“ too. And finding people and schools to watch her for hours every day to get away from it all. I know I’d find it very hard and I’d be full of guilt....but if she continued tearing into her diaper/pull-up and smeared her feces and/or ate it.....that would be the last straw for me. I’d be looking into an institution or care facility for her.

• Sad
My daughter is 11, almost 12 and is autistic. (She is what some would consider high functioning. I would say her cognitive age is maybe 8 or 9 so, not too much behind what she truly is.) We have never really had problems with anything but social situations and alot of getting obsessed with things. The few times that she has had anxiety in certain situations (we went to a little zoo in our town and the smell and the barn area were not too comfortable for her) she will just say," Mom, I don't want to do this, I would like to go somewhere else for right now.", and that's it. I honestly don't think Abigail has autism at all, I think it's strictly IDD and they are just using autism bc, it's marketable. It's "trendy" to have an autistic child apparently. I think if they would look into therapies for IDD that they would have better results. It's sort of like treating the common cold with nicotine gum.....it's useless.

Yes, I guess when you take a bunch of half wits that think that watching a 14 year old eat dirt is cute, your going to get better grammar. Lol
My friend's son who has a primary IDD diagnosis with secondary Autism exhibits the same behavior as Abbie. He rocks and sways, flaps hands and is non verbal. However he seems to have learned so much more than Abbie. He does well in restaurants and he learned how to ride a bike. I see Abbie so far behind him developmentally. I have to wonder how much of her delay is due to her parents not getting her in a school that can truly help her as well as being inconsistent with her when she's not in school.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
How is it possible Abbie has Pica. Pica means you crave something, it doesn’t mean you randomly put things in your mouth because you think everything is food.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My friend's son who has a primary IDD diagnosis with secondary Autism exhibits the same behavior as Abbie. He rocks and sways, flaps hands and is non verbal. However he seems to have learned so much more than Abbie. He does well in restaurants and he learned how to ride a bike. I see Abbie so far behind him developmentally. I have to wonder how much of her delay is due to her parents not getting her in a school that can truly help her as well as being inconsistent with her when she's not in school.
I don't know, I just feel like she isn't capable of learning much when it comes to anything that would help gain independence. The only things I do feel she could learn is how to not be so hard to handle and how to act like a human and not an animal. That is the part that her parents have failed her on, terribly. The one thing that she can actually learn, her parents fail miserably with. In my opinion. I don't see autism with her at all. I just see a very mentally handicapped young lady that has not been taught how to act. I swear, it's like she has been raised by a pack of wolves.

How is it possible Abbie has Pica. Pica means you crave something, it doesn’t mean you randomly put things in your mouth because you think everything is food.
Good point. I would think that would rule it out then. It appears that she just has the mind of a very young baby. 3-6 months would be about the age that a baby would be doing that alot. (Maybe a little older but, it wouldn't be as often as the child gets older.) My youngest daughter just turned 1 and she no longer puts things in her mouth unless they look like food.

• Heart
From the Googles 🔻🔻🔻🔻🔻🔻
Pica is an eating disorder that involves eating items that are not typically thought of as food and that do not contain significant nutritional value, such as hair, dirt, and paint chips.

• Heart
  • Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.