Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I actually quite enjoyed watching Olly but I also think his performance was more “the brits” than Eurovision. It was just a bit too risqué for the audience. The problem for me was the song wasn’t great so the performance had to be a bit OTT to push it.

Reactions: 18
UK song was garbage - no way was what was shown on the BBC - LIVE - It felt too music videoy, and no way would they have had those other blokes 'sliding' about that boghouse set untethered due to elf n safety

---
I actually quite enjoyed watching Olly but I also think his performance was more “the brits” than Eurovision. It was just a bit too risqué for the audience. The problem for me was the song wasn’t great so the performance had to be a bit OTT to push it.
It may have stood out in a normal year but this year everyone came with half naked dancers and some risk

I think someone here remarked that this was the most gay Eurovision yet

• Wow
Reactions: 10
It was just a tit song and a tit performance. The outfits were weird, the stage set up was weird (dirty bathroom as an aesthetic... really?) and it wasn't fun.

I love Olly and Years and Years but there is no conspiracy in relation to this, it was just really bad.
I agree and I think it’s often the case for the UK. People like to think it’s that everyone in Europe hates us because politics but when we have a good song that appeals (Sam Ryder) we do well, when we have meh songs we are mid table and when they’re crap we do badly.

There’s obviously political voting at play, very obviously the past three years, but the UK’s performance I think is largely reflective of the songs as it should be. The winner this year also reflective of the song, Croatia was my personal fave but I can see why Switzerland won and don’t think it was “rigged” against Croatia.

Reactions: 10
I think France are a bit like how the U.K. were a few years ago and are a bit embarrassed about Eurovision. They’ve done well in recent years though and their guy last night easily had the best voice.

I noticed on Twitter a lot of gammon types were watching, presumably just so they could make a point and vote for Isreal 🙄, and they were so offended by all the trans and non binary flags and overtly LGBT stuff. Like hello it’s bleeping Eurovision what to do you expect 😂

Reactions: 15

---

It may have stood out in a normal year but this year everyone came with half naked dancers and some risk

God his dancing was bad wasn't it. Didn't come naturally for him at all.

And the singing at the end 😬😬😬

Reactions: 6
Whatever you think of the actually performance there’s no doubting those 4 dancers are bloody amazingly talented.

I‘m torn on the juries, always have been. Years with only public vote were always incredibly frustrating too, people tend to forget that. The block voting of Scandinavian, Baltic and Eastern European states was sometimes out of control back then, which is why they re-introduced the juries and mixed them with the public votes. Juries aren’t that much better either though, since they often declare a favorite and just all vote for them.
But all of you UK Eurovision fans, let’s not forget that Sam would have placed fifth without the jury votes 😁 so you can thank them for getting the show last year 😉

I can’t say what happened with this incredible public reward for Israel, if it was real or bot voting. But the juries certainly did not award that Loreen wannabe. She would have come second without them.

Reactions: 14

---

Eurovision has always been camp, this year was the most gender neutral certainly.

Olly's vocals sound a bit iffy there.

Reactions: 4
The problem with juries is that they’re mostly pushing for songs that are radio friendly and have great vocals. Really it feels like we could turn Eurovision into any other concert on TV at this rate if every country sent acts that they think can do well with juries

It’s a shame. I enjoy discovering new music and genres from Eurovision or just having some guilty pleasure music

Reactions: 9
I think France are a bit like how the U.K. were a few years ago and are a bit embarrassed about Eurovision. They’ve done well in recent years though and their guy last night easily had the best voice.

I noticed on Twitter a lot of gammon types were watching, presumably just so they could make a point and vote for Isreal 🙄, and they were so offended by all the trans and non binary flags and overtly LGBT stuff. Like hello it’s bleeping Eurovision what to do you expect 😂
What I love about France is they stay resolutely French

Reactions: 18
Also remember that we are just as bad for neighbourly voting as the rest of Europe. Giving most of our televote to Ireland (Im not counting Israel as we all know that was just Daily Mail readers who wouldn’t normally be seen dead watching Eurovision).

Reactions: 5
The problem with juries is that they’re mostly pushing for songs that are radio friendly and have great vocals. Really it feels like we could turn Eurovision into any other concert on TV at this rate if every country sent acts that they think can do well with juries

It’s a shame. I enjoy discovering new music and genres from Eurovision or just having some guilty pleasure music
Very true for the German entry this year. The song is getting quite some airplay since it was released. It's not a bad song, the guy has a good voice. The staging was very meh though and without the jury vote, Germany wuold have come quite low. Only got 18 points from the public.

Reactions: 5
What I love about France is they stay resolutely French
If they’d have won last night and the contest was held in France next year it would have been almost entirely in French. The whole thing. There would have been very little English used. Nothing wrong in that, just saying, They still give their scores in French.

Reactions: 3
Also remember that we are just as bad for neighbourly voting as the rest of Europe.
So true. To slightly bastardise from the way Petra put it in an opening act a while ago:

“Getting votes from your neighbours is a sure way to get your song disgraced, but when the UK give 12 points to Ireland it’s clearly just good taste!”

• Haha
Yeah I don’t know why people are complaining about having juries - they’d be e same people complaining the U.K. got nothing, or that Israel came a close second. I think having the balance works.

Also, I really wish the U.K. producers or whoever chooses our song, stops thinking about what makes a ‘Eurovision’ song, and just pick a good song! It’s so obvious someone thought ‘Eurovision camp = raunchy men = success and it’s not true at all. Spain fell into the same trap. People just got good songs, sung well with a good staging. It’s not hard.

Also remember that we are just as bad for neighbourly voting as the rest of Europe. Giving most of our televote to Ireland (Im not counting Israel as we all know that was just Daily Mail readers who wouldn’t normally be seen dead watching Eurovision).
Also the diaspora, I lived in London for years and *might* have voted for Ireland, no matter how shite it happened to have been. Lithuania gets the douze points from the Irish public regularly for the same reason.
---
If they’d have won last night and the contest was held in France next year it would have been almost entirely in French. The whole thing. There would have been very little English used. Nothing wrong in that, just saying, They still give their scores in French.
Like I said resolutely French!😬😅

That’s a good point.
I miss the old ‘nul points’

and I’m still annoyed this morning that they didn’t have ABBA after the drip feed.

The radio edit of Dizzy isn't really that bad. It's got a good tempo beat, very boppy, foot tapping.
The whole stage set up & concept was rubbish.
He should have used the full open stage, costumes were questionable across the board but his were... nah!
Coleford set up a special ticketed screening & really championed him.... might take a look & see what the locals made of it.

Reactions: 4