Eoghan McDermott - Irish radio stars face social media allegations.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well I’m not expecting them to come out and address the accusations but it’s like he never even existed. Doireann hasn’t even mentioned his name on the show, it’s all a bit of a farce really! He is going to get away with it because nobody is even acting like he ever existed. It’s strange
I do think he will probably get away with it but what do you want Doireann to say about him?

Reactions: 6
As much as I dislike Doireann, this notion that she should be saying something is ridiculous. She has done nothing wrong, just had the bad luck to be associated with him.

Reactions: 35
The silence probably seems like they are trying to protect them but it is ultimately a legal question. There is a ridiculous situation where there are lads getting sued in NUIG for sharing a meme about another student so imagine what Eoghan could do to RTE if they even hinted at it based on nothing more than rumours online. There is very little love lost between anyone in Irish media and most would absolutely love to run the story but they just can't given the defamation laws here. These laws will have to be updated to reflect the society we live in with the Internet.

The only way a paper could report it is if the victims gave a sworn statement like what happened in the George Gibney case back in the 90s.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I heard a brief moment of the show yesterday morning and Doreen obviously had to discuss the Piers Morgan story and she played the piece of Susannah speaking about him leaving, she couldn’t move on from it quick enough. I’d love to be a fly on the wall of some of the RTE WhatsApp groups...

Reactions: 10
Unfortunately, as women we are raised knowing that we are at risk of sexual violence and learn how best to navigate the world in a way that makes it as safe as possible for us. We do this so often and for so long that it becomes second nature and we don't question how absolutely fucked up it is. We are basically groomed for it and men just use it and continue to get away with crappy behaviour.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been subjected to gross comments or creepy behaviour or mild groping and just accepted it as the price you pay for being a woman. I've actually at times counted myself lucky that it was only a comment thrown my way because it could have been so much worse! This is what we do to ourselves, we actually stack sexist behaviour up against other sexist behaviour and rate it when we should have zero tolerance on all of it. But it goes back to what I said about society grooming women and girls to accept this stuff and keep quiet.

I literally only found out today that the reason EOD has left 2fm is because of allegations of this nature....I thought they had finally given up on him because he is a terrible presenter so I didn't pay any attention to the story. I can't say I'm surprised. TBH, between this and that breaking story in the UK of the young woman being murdered by a policeman and the sentencing of the guy who tried to abduct a woman in Dublin last year I'm just done with men for today. It might be true that its #notallmen but its #toomanymen.

Reactions: 16
I do think he will probably get away with it but what do you want Doireann to say about him?
I don’t know? Something? Anything? Say Eoghan isn’t going to be on the show anymore I’m so it’s just me now.. it’s like she’s afraid to even say his name. It’s like RTE are trying to gaslight it’s listeners into thinking Eoghan never even existed it’s ridiculous. Just brush it under the carpet and move on

Reactions: 4
Sure what do you want them to do?
They've let him go which is probably the best thing they could have done, none of this suspension lark, he's gone which says a lot in itself. It's just a huge elephant in the room that he's gone and they won't even acknowledge the reason.

This whole thread, combined with what happened to that poor woman in the UK, is just horrifying. The amount of women who have posted on here about the terrible things that happened to them. My social media today has been filled with posts and stats, listing all the ways women try to stay safe, but bad tit still happens to them. Harassment at all levels. From what is deemed 'harmless' catcalling, telling a woman to smile (duck OFF), to asking if a woman was drunk when she was raped. What was she thinking, going to that party, going off into a room with that guy. What did she think would happen? It's hardly the man's fault. She was asking for it.

How about the crazy idea, that the woman should she have the power of consent. Just because she was drunk does not mean she was not raped. Just because she went off with guy, doesn't mean she had to give a blow job.

I was raped when I was 16. I was drunk. Went back to my boyfriends house. We had never had sex, or even come close. He was 4 years older. I vaguely remember him on top of me, but that is all. The next morning I went home. Never told anyone. Broke up with the boyfriend after. I always thought it was my fault. I was drunk. What did I expect? It wasn't his fault, he's a man, couldn't control himself. I didn't have sex again until I was 21..

I have a daughter. I teach her it's ok to say no. That she doesn't have to hug anyone she doesn't want to.
I have a son. I teach him that 'no' means 'no'. When he's older, I'll tell him if a person is too drunk to give consent, then that is rape.

We have to do better. It's not good enough what women endure. And to read 'but she could be lying. What about his career'. "why wouldn't you go to the police?" I'd say nearly every woman that gets assaulted believes it's her fault. We all know that the legal system is fucked as regards these cases. We know that people will question us, doubt us. You don't want to talk about something so personal with strangers. For the tiny percentage of women that might be lying about such things, there are huge numbers that don't report their assault. I will always believe someone.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
This whole thread, combined with what happened to that poor woman in the UK, is just horrifying. The amount of women who have posted on here about the terrible things that happened to them. My social media today has been filled with posts and stats, listing all the ways women try to stay safe, but bad tit still happens to them. Harassment at all levels. From what is deemed 'harmless' catcalling, telling a woman to smile (duck OFF), to asking if a woman was drunk when she was raped. What was she thinking, going to that party, going off into a room with that guy. What did she think would happen? It's hardly the man's fault. She was asking for it.

How about the crazy idea, that the woman should she have the power of consent. Just because she was drunk does not mean she was not raped. Just because she went off with guy, doesn't mean she had to give a blow job.

I was raped when I was 16. I was drunk. Went back to my boyfriends house. We had never had sex, or even come close. He was 4 years older. I vaguely remember him on top of me, but that is all. The next morning I went home. Never told anyone. Broke up with the boyfriend after. I always thought it was my fault. I was drunk. What did I expect? It wasn't his fault, he's a man, couldn't control himself. I didn't have sex again until I was 21..

I have a daughter. I teach her it's ok to say no. That she doesn't have to hug anyone she doesn't want to.
I have a son. I teach him that 'no' means 'no'. When he's older, I'll tell him if a person is too drunk to give consent, then that is rape.

We have to do better. It's not good enough what women endure. And to read 'but she could be lying. What about his career'. "why wouldn't you go to the police?" I'd say nearly every woman that gets assaulted believes it's her fault. We all know that the legal system is fucked as regards these cases. We know that people will question us, doubt us. You don't want to talk about something so personal with strangers. For the tiny percentage of women that might be lying about such things, there are huge numbers that don't report their assault. I will always believe someone.
I stand with you and thank you for sharing your story.
Thank you for teaching your kids boundaries. It’s not something I was taught as a kid. If someone wanted me to kiss them or hug them my parents would force me.
Teaching kids boundaries from a young age is soooo important so that they grow up knowing how to trust themselves, knowing it’s ok to say yes but also knowing it’s ok to say no ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Do you know what I just read something there online and it made me rethink. I don’t think Doireann should have to say anything about Eoghan at all or even refer to him if it’s not something she’s comfortable with. I regret saying what I said earlier, not that I ever meant she should address the allegations. But yeah, it’s not for her to address his absence. Let’s just hope something more comes of this apart from tumbleweeds and silence. It has to!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I've been following this story and thread ever since it first was mentioned on Doireann's thread. All the stories on here of women who have had horrendous experiences saddened me so much. Mainly how we blame ourselves or just accept that that is how it is. I easily recall three scenarios work related that were just not right. But I always said to myself it was my fault. But it ain't!!
1. I was at a work retreat where folks from lots of other branches were at it. There was a big junior (there to learn) vs senior (delivering the workshops, mentors, had power) divide. A good few of us ended up in the hot tub one night near the end. Probably two male senior and six female junior. One senior was the dad of one of the juniors so he was on best behaviour. The other senior, and I don't remember how this happened, started playing some game where suddenly his old sliver thin lips were coming towards me. I have no idea why or what. But my thoughts ever since were "what did I expect getting into a hot tub at 11pm with these old guys".
2. Work night out. Just me and one other colleague (Spanish, engaged) were last two standing. In pub starts grabbing my arse and pointing to this weird engagement ring that his GF made him wear and said "tonight this means nothing". I ran off and never spoke to him again at work. He was an excellent with a technical skill that I needed help with but could never ask. I believe my career suffered because I never got that help.
3. Foreign work trip, booze flowing (theme) on desserted hotel balcony with my female colleague and and a man from another site we had just met. He lunged at me for a kiss the minute my female colleague went to toilet. I said no, I have a boyfriend. He said "i didn't realise." Then I set about apologising for not mentioning my boyfriend before!!! My colleague and I flew straight to her room and I cried for hours as I felt I had betrayed my BF somehow and that maybe I gave the man the wrong idea. I was deva.

But now, looking back...none of these were my fault!!
Phew...all of these have remained in my head for a good few yrs x

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Do you know what I just read something there online and it made me rethink. I don’t think Doireann should have to say anything about Eoghan at all or even refer to him if it’s not something she’s comfortable with. I regret saying what I said earlier, not that I ever meant she should address the allegations. But yeah, it’s not for her to address his absence. Let’s just hope something more comes of this apart from tumbleweeds and silence. It has to!
I agree. She shouldn't have to explain his absence because of HIS actions. Until Eoghan makes some sort of public comment himself I doubt we will hear anything more.

Reactions: 7
Fair play, you finally saw the light & owned it.

Reactions: 6
Christ Stephen and Tara Stewart are filling in for Doireann today and next week. They are beyond terrible. Did a quiz in their first few minutes and made a mistake, giving the prize to the man who hadn't won 😩 I'm turning off 😵

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
Christ Stephen and Tara Stewart are filling in for Doireann today and next week. They are beyond terrible. Did a quiz in their first few minutes and made a mistake, giving the prize to the man who hadn't won 😩 I'm turning off 😵
RTE is a joke - just a load of tit presenters.

Reactions: 15
They nearly make Doireann look good!!

• Haha
Also, I'd say no one in mainstream media is mentioning it because, if he went and harmed himself there'd be an outpouring of be kind and "sure they weren't proved anyway". And we would have a martyr

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.