Eoghan McDermott - Irish radio stars face social media allegations.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Years ago my bf was a comedian and he told me that there was soooo much stuff on this guy, if it all came out people would be very shocked. At first I was, like no way you are just hearing that from people jealous of his fame, but then I heard a story from someone not in that comedy scene, so it kind of confirmed it.
There are a lot of real narcissistic creeps in the Irish comedy scene who treat girls/lads terribly and laugh about it like its some perk of their job. Met a few through the bf and some of the stuff that came out last summer about a certain comedian actually didn't surprise me. I won't name names but some Scottish comedian actually did a set specifically about knowing his rape victim.

I think, personal hot take here, that there is a pervasive mentality in Ireland to not believe a woman when she says she was attacked. Its bred into us, women have been silenced since the founding of the state. A few of those mother and baby homes reports recently had details of girls raped while in industrial schools and getting pregnant from it and the reason they were admitted to the laundries was 'SHAME'.

The girls bore the brunt of took the blame, like they were at fault for their rape and ensuing pregnancy and don't forget here alot of these girls got pregnant at ages like 15. But no it was their fault, the man is a good man, decent guy, from a good family..
This attitude still exists, its inherited trauma bred into all of us, and people seem to default to thinking the girl is lying, or making it up or agreed then changed her mind after. And look I'm guilty of having thoughts like that cross my mind when hearing stories years ago. And when I got raped myself I didn't tell many friends for years because I knew some would sympathise in person and then go home and say well I must have been asking for it... I only confided in a friend who also had been assaulted. As I knew she'd immediately believe me and not question how I let it happen (a question I did get asked by someone!!)

I do believe victims coming out and talking these days , it took me 5 years to process what happened to me and be able to move forward from it. Some people are faster to recover, others take decades, and especially if you are a child when this happens it can really take a long time for your brain to catch up to the trauma you suffered and be able to correctly label it.

Anyways back on topic, I definitely think Irish society still minimises the female voice, previous well known rape trials know that the default discourse is 'sure she asked for it, or she shouldn't have been wearing a skirt or a thong' or 'she must have led him on, he's a decent guy didn't the priest speak up for him at trial'

Even with the family annihilator murders in Ireland recently, the men murdering their wife and kids then themselves, it's always 'oh he was a good man, pillar of the community, did loads for the locality' the victims of his crime, particularly his wife, silenced again. Honestly I think this country is entirely polluted still by the effect of the Catholic Church, a real Mary magdalene is a bleep mentality..
As you can tell this boils my piss 😜

Wow really well written and I agree with all the points you made and it actually makes me sad and more needs to be done we need change in this country and fast

Reactions: 7
What does that even mean? Would you feel less sorry for her if she worked in McDonalds or Tesco? I find this attitude in Ireland so bizarre.
Possibly that’s she’s already under pressure without all this working as a GP during a pandemic ?!!!

Reactions: 4
Heard so many stories about “the American” over the last 10 years , he always comes across as being really arrogant and just thinks he’s the bees knees so wouldn’t surprise me at all

Reactions: 7
what’s that saying, disappointed, but not surprised. 😕
for all of them, especially eoghan 😏

Reactions: 5
Devo to hear that about the spar guy.
When I was single I got chatting away with spar guy on plenty of fish, we were texting for a few weeks but never got around to going on date I was travelling with work alot at the time. he definitely had the smell of himself at the time but I always got impression he was a decent guy he just hung around with other comedians who believed their own hype. He was arrogant but not really if that makes sense? You tell he was trying to be like the other comedian lads but his heart wasn't in it. He seems to be super happy now I'm delighted for him.

• Sick
Reactions: 3
oh god. what a crawler. This kind of things triggers me so much.... I have large boobs on a relatively small frame and the amount of casual sexual assault i've experienced is frightening. from crude comments and questions to staring to groping and touching. It left me hating my boobs and my body for such a long time. I don't know any woman who hasn't had similar things done to them so I learned it's nothing to do with me or my boobs or my body - those men are just predators. They will do it no matter what.
Same.

I remember my boobs being commented on when I was 11 because I was quite developed.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
I’m wondering how it took 11 years? Like one year is a long time, never mind 11. I understand she might have been traumatized but it just seems like a very long time before coming forward
Does that also apply to industrial school victims and those in the magdalene laundries, dating back to the turn of the century? 🙄

Reactions: 23
Does that also apply to industrial school victims and those in the magdalene laundries, dating back to the turn of the century? 🙄
Exactly. Where is this 'rule' that sets out how long it should take a person to come to terms with sexual assault and report it? She was a child. The brain is not fully formed until your mid 20s.

And she did tell a garda years ago and was told not to bother pursuing it. She was effectively silenced back then. Fair play to her now being strong enough to realise she can speak out

Reactions: 20
Exactly. Where is this 'rule' that sets out how long it should take a person to come to terms with sexual assault and report it? She was a child. The brain is not fully formed until your mid 20s.

And she did tell a garda years ago and was told not to bother pursuing it. She was effectively silenced back then. Fair play to her now being strong enough to realise she can speak out
That’s is exactly, I personally know of horrific cases where there was videos shared and the guards still advised not to proceed as it would be so hard to get to court and get guilty verdict and it would be less stressful not to pursue so that says a lot so especially when you are talking 11 years ago and who still has the same phone from back then so this looking for evidence is stupid and at the time as well you might not realise the fully impact until you are in your 20s or 30s or whatever , doesn’t mean it didn’t happen and it’s not just the girl who posted on Reddit , others have come forward publicly and privately.

Reactions: 8
Respectfully disagree with user or ignore. - Please read our rules and why they're important
Just going back to the story posted on Reddit by alleged victim. Firstly what direction did she think the friendship was going? Meeting in bars and going for food and drinks? People have a few drinks they get giddy and stupid and loose inhibitions. That's the norm. How many of us have had fumbles and gropes and it's all part of the bumpy ride. To publicly put that stuff out there is hugely damaging. Why did she hook up again with him after the incident in Spin headquarters. No matter what she has destroyed him. Not saying he's without blame but she has to now shoulder the responsibility of what's shes done. I personally couldn't live with it.

Just going back to the story posted on Reddit by alleged victim. Firstly what direction did she think the friendship was going? Meeting in bars and going for food and drinks? People have a few drinks they get giddy and stupid and loose inhibitions. That's the norm. How many of us have had fumbles and gropes and it's all part of the bumpy ride. To publicly put that stuff out there is hugely damaging. Why did she hook up again with him after the incident in Spin headquarters. No matter what she has destroyed him. Not saying he's without blame but she has to now shoulder the responsibility of what's shes done. I personally couldn't live with it.
She was 16, a child

END OF

Reactions: 83
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.