Eoghan McDermott - Irish radio stars face social media allegations.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Legally they can’t anything at the moment. It’s that simple. Libel laws but also if it does go to court (and hopefully it will) and his employer is acting like he’s already guilty could he use it as defence and say it’s not possible for him to have a fair trial ?

The Roz video is upsetting. Her face....
Pretty sure I already said all that 2 pages back. My issue is why are they continuing to speak about him & in a positive light. Gaslighting victims. If they aren’t allowed legally speak about him and the case why mention him at all???

Reactions: 6
Exactly. Let's say there is some kind of legal proceedings underway. It would be impossible to get an unbiased jury with all the "he said/she said", the trial could collapse and the alleged victim would have been denied justice before things even began.

Reactions: 3
It’s already out there, people who are aware of the allegations have most likely already made up their minds. It’s why there is a process to choosing a jury.

I really feel the alleged victim who spoke out did so in order to encourage others to come forward as she may have already been denied justice.
However, if there are other alleged victims then they could take their own case.
Strength in numbers and all that

*edited to add*
I could be 100% wrong but the twitterings last year regarding him leaving 2fm could have had something to do with the girl who has spoken out. She could have gone to the Gards then and he was interviewed but no charges were brought at the time.
Obviously, this is just an assumption.

Exactly. Let's say there is some kind of legal proceedings underway. It would be impossible to get an unbiased jury with all the "he said/she said", the trial could collapse and the alleged victim would have been denied justice before things even began.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
It’s already out there, people who are aware of the allegations have most likely already made up their minds. It’s why there is a process to choosing a jury.
The way that it is "out there" is very different though to RTE acknowledging it in their statement (which is what people here seem to be querying).

Twitter comments were on the rte segment of Eoghan's departure news, sane as in their website.
Good load of comments where people were wondering why, and a few responses to tell them why.
Comments have been removed since.

Reactions: 5

I really feel the alleged victim who spoke out did so in order to encourage others to come forward as she may have already been denied justice.
However, if there are other alleged victims then they could take their own case.
Strength in numbers and all that

*edited to add*
I could be 100% wrong but the twitterings last year regarding him leaving 2fm could have had something to do with the girl who has spoken out. She could have gone to the Gards then and he was interviewed but no charges were brought at the time.
Obviously, this is just an assumption.

Totally get you, but I have two sisters one in their twenties and one in their thirties. They are both on social media but me talking about it yesterday was the first they heard of it. My husband was the same. Can't imagine my parents are aware. Point being, it's out there, but it's not in papers or splashed everywhere. You have to go look for it.

I would agree with you though. I'd say some more victims have come forward and that's what's going on with the blackout.

Reactions: 10
The way that it is "out there" is very different though to RTE acknowledging it in their statement (which is what people here seem to be querying).
I get that it’s not the point I’m trying to make but the way the media are speaking about him you’d swear it was a high profile DJ like Dave Fanning who left the station after being there 20+ years

I 100% get that nobody is allowed to acknowledge the allegations due to legal process but WHY ARE THEY STILL TALKING ABOUT HIM LIKE HE WILL BE MISSED

look up the term “gaslighting”
It’s all I’m thinking of with the current situation
They need to shut up talking about him if they don’t want (or are legally allowed) to talk about him

(edited to fix typos)

How could he get into Australia now? Does he have an Australian passport?
I think he can get in if he’s going for work - I’ve seen sports people and spouses and the likes of Diren Kartal going over and quarantining for the two weeks, it’s at their own expense. So unless the GF had a visa to go and he went too? If it’s not for Love Island or something.

Was the DJ that was texting people really Nobby? I always liked him. Not surprised by America Gaelgoir...so many stories from girls as gigs

Totally get you, but I have two sisters one in their twenties and one in their thirties. They are both on social media but me talking about it yesterday was the first they heard of it. My husband was the same. Can't imagine my parents are aware. Point being, it's out there, but it's not in papers or splashed everywhere. You have to go look for it.

I would agree with you though. I'd say some more victims have come forward and that's what's going on with the blackout.
Spoke to my dad this morning he wouldn't be on the internet but avid reading of Irish papers and I told him all about the Eoghan stuff. He was surprized but not surprized it was being coveredup

Reactions: 3
Spoke to my dad this morning he wouldn't be on the internet but avid reading of Irish papers and I told him all about the Eoghan stuff. He was surprized but not surprized it was being coveredup
It's not a "cover up". It's simply how cases like this have to be reported.

Two examples come to mind. One is George Gibney. The allegations against him were covered in the media and directly led to the case collapsing in court. The other is Tom Humphries. He was widely named on social media but never in the actual media. The case went to court and he was convicted.

If you want actual justice, you should be looking at the second example above.

Reactions: 15
It's not a "cover up". It's simply how cases like this have to be reported.

Two examples come to mine. One is George Gibney. The allegations against him were covered in the media and directly led to the case collapsing in court. The other is Tom Humphries. He was widely named on social media but never in the actual media. The case went to court and he was convicted.

If you want actual justice, you should be looking at the second example above.
The George Gibney case is what’s coming to mind with this especially if the rumours are true that this fella has gone to Oz 😨

Reactions: 4
I get that it’s not the point I’m trying to make but the way the media are speaking about him you’d swear it was a high profile DJ like Dave Fanning who left the station after being there 20+ years

I 100% get that nobody is allowed to acknowledge the allegations due to legal process but WHY ARE THEY STILL TALKING ABOUT HIM LIKE HE WILL BE MISSED

look up the term “gaslighting”
It’s all I’m thinking of with the current situation
They need to shut up talking about him if they don’t want (or are legally allowed) to talk about him

(edited to fix typos)
Yes!!! 100% this!!!

No one is expecting anyone in rte to come out and announce anything is true or untrue.

I expected RTÉ to announce he is gone, won’t be returning end of story.

Instead they have listed when he started, all his accomplishments like it’s his bloody glowing cv they are reciting.

I feel there was no need for that.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yes!!! 100% this!!!

No one is expecting anyone in rte to come out and announce anything is true or untrue.

I expected RTÉ to announce he is gone, won’t be returning end of story.

Instead they have listed when he started, all his accomplishments like it’s his bloody glowing cv they are reciting.

100%
People move stations all the time. (I know he’s not moving stations but it’s similar circumstances that he has “left”)

There is never this amount of media coverage about it. IF ANY.
It’s all very odd.
Now, unless they are making sure that they aren’t caught up in some sort of libel case in which he claims he was unfairly treated by his job during his departure and after bla bla bla and they are literally tripping over themselves trying to look supportive of him.
I’m really just trying to figure out why they are literally kissing his ass right now in a very odd manner. Like you said listing all his accomplishments.

Would there have been a complaint made against from within the holy walls of montrose by any chance. Wasn't there a rte insider Twitter account at one stage, inside producer or something wonder if its still going or has anything on this. Has the sister roe checked out as well?

I really don't think that article read like a glowing CV. As articles like that go in the media, it was pretty matter of fact. "Glowing" tributes tend to include quotes from colleueages.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I really don't think that article read like a glowing CV. As articles like that go in the media, it was pretty matter of fact. "Glowing" tributes tend to include quotes from colleueages.
So what was the purpose of them telling us all of this????

He won best breakfast show at last years IMROs, listing all his presenting accomplishments, some charitable??

Sounded pretty complimentary and irrelevant to me given the upset it would undoubtedly cause.

The statement was perfect up until that point.

So what was the purpose of them telling us all of this????
As others have said, if there are any legal cases ongoing, they can't be accused of bias or influencing opinions. This is exactly the information that would be in any article when someone leaves RTE.

Look up other articles or social media posts when people have left RTE. It normally includes a quote or two from various RTE personalities saying how great they were etc. Nobody being quoted in the McDermott article is quite noticeable to me. Una O'Hagan left RTE for example and had multiple articles, tweets etc about her role at RTE including a feature on the RTE news.

Reactions: 2
As others have said, if there are any legal cases ongoing, they can't be accused of bias or influencing opinions. This is exactly the information that would be in any article when someone leaves RTE.

Look up other articles or social media posts when people have left RTE. It normally includes a quote or two from various RTE personalities saying how great they were etc. Nobody being quoted in the McDermott article is quite noticeable to me. Una O'Hagan left RTE for example and had multiple articles, tweets etc about her role at RTE including a feature on the RTE news.
Have you been sent here today from the rte press office to do a bit of damage control 😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.