English Channel migrant crossing crisis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Many of the dingy immigrants are from Albania and going to join organised crime gangs. I work with lots of immigrants in healthcare , they have taken the proper way , applied and got a visa in a workforce that is desperately short staffed. They work tremendously hard and pay their taxes , the illegal dingy ones are taking the piss out of our system. It's rewarding people over the ones who apply and come to work.
Yes ,we’ve always had immigrants from all over come and work in our local hospitals and healthcare, the international nurse coordinator in our local hospital is actually Filipino she’s been there for years , came for a short stay to send money back to her family and never went back .There are legal routes to apply.
---

The problem for international courts like this is that they can only take the most serious of cases because they don’t have capacity due to funding

Also, because of state sovereignty and the whole thing of an international court being involved in domestic issues, it’s preferable for the issues to be dealt with domestically. I would guess that in the vast majority of cases that’s exactly what happens and why we don’t see ECHR involvement too
Plus the fact the country can overrule their decision or simply change the law.

Plus the fact the country can overrule their decision or simply change the law.
But most don't because there's a lot of shame in being called out for not following basic human rights. If it was that easy, the ECHR would not exist and would not be as effective as it is

Impact of the European Convention on Human Rights - Impact of the European Convention on Human Rights (coe.int)
Very good website where you can see some of the key rulings and their significance

It's actually insane just how much of international law runs on the enforcement mechanism basically being "you should just follow this because you agreed to and because something happened in the past which required for this to be agreed"

But most don't because there's a lot of shame in being called out for not following basic human rights. If it was that easy, the ECHR would not exist and would not be as effective as it is

Impact of the European Convention on Human Rights - Impact of the European Convention on Human Rights (coe.int)
Very good website where you can see some of the key rulings and their significance

It's actually insane just how much of international law runs on the enforcement mechanism basically being "you should just follow this because you agreed to and because something happened in the past which required for this to be agreed"
I’m not saying there presence isn’t a good thing I’m saying countries basically make their own rules and that can impact any decision they make, take the UK’s new bill against the right to protest for instance.

I’m saying countries basically make their own rules and that can impact any decision they make, take the UK’s new bill against the right to protest for instance.
The whole point is that they should respect human rights and the ECHR/Human Rights Act and threat of human rights not being upheld allows for public pressure to hold more weight. When the government reacts to that pressure it normally suggests that they think that they lack public support to bulldoze through the rule of law

The ECHR can't become involved without a case being referred to them, just as domestic courts can't become involve without an issue being referred to them. Cases can only be referred to the ECHR once they have gone through the domestic legal system

This is exactly why people are taking to the streets, I’m sure I read that girl had just given birth a few weeks beforehand…Edit to add it’s not the same girl the other girl was 19 .
---

The whole point is that they should respect human rights and the ECHR/Human Rights Act and threat of human rights not being upheld allows for public pressure to hold more weight. When the government reacts to that pressure it normally suggests that they think that they lack public support to bulldoze through the rule of law

The ECHR can't become involved without a case being referred to them, just as domestic courts can't become involve without an issue being referred to them. Cases can only be referred to the ECHR once they have gone through the domestic legal system
Exactly ! it can take years and even then they don’t have to take the case on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
This country is a shithole now its been invaded by all of these backwards countries criminals. no chance of gaining control of it now. More attacks and murders of innocent British citizens, turf wars between young men who can't speak english. Precious resources wasted on illegal citizens who are laughing at British tax payers. SMH.
It does feel like the UK has gone so soft it’s dissolving. I mean would they have been agonising and court battles to see if Shamina Begum was able to come back into this country? Would there have been a toleration of allowing channel crossing after channel crossing of men who don’t contribute to the country to happen? Would there have been a focus on murderer’s ‘human rights’ after they’ve brutally killed someone but don’t like the idea of being deported.

Reactions: 2
Many of the dingy immigrants are from Albania and going to join organised crime gangs. I work with lots of immigrants in healthcare , they have taken the proper way , applied and got a visa in a workforce that is desperately short staffed. They work tremendously hard and pay their taxes , the illegal dingy ones are taking the piss out of our system. It's rewarding people over the ones who apply and come to work.
'Many' is quite imprecise especially when there are figures available. In 2022 there was a dramatic increase in the number of Albanian people arriving across the Channel but even in the 3 months to September 2022 they represented less than 20% of the total number of people claiming asylum. Even assuming that none of the arrivals from Albania will be granted asylum (and very few of their claims have been considered yet) it seems a bit of a stretch to claim that everybody crossing the channel is 'taking thee piss out of our system or for suggesting that none of them want to work.

'Many' is quite imprecise especially when there are figures available. In 2022 there was a dramatic increase in the number of Albanian people arriving across the Channel but even in the 3 months to September 2022 they represented less than 20% of the total number of people claiming asylum. Even assuming that none of the arrivals from Albania will be granted asylum (and very few of their claims have been considered yet) it seems a bit of a stretch to claim that everybody crossing the channel is 'taking thee piss out of our system or for suggesting that none of them want to work.
But don’t you see the cost involved until that claim is processed? That’s the pisstake people are thinking of when the majority of claims are not accepted and that money could be used in other ways.

So what I know someone who initially came on a humanitarian visa , he applied for it in the proper way not jumping on a dinghy works very hard in healthcare, he had to have police checks. They are trying to jump the system, destroying their documentation. I question why people destroy their documents and what value they are going to bring the UK. We don't have unlimited taxpayers funds , schooling , healthcare to allow everyone in who wants too. There's lots of hardworking people who do want to come here and apply in the proper way.

Reactions: 3
It does feel like the UK has gone so soft it’s dissolving. I mean would they have been agonising and court battles to see if Shamina Begum was able to come back into this country?
I always think it's useful to understand a bit of the background about an issue before drawing conclusions. The power to deprive certain people of their British citizenship came into law in 1914. It included the right for the individual to challenge the decision in court. Over the years the law has been changed to allow more people to be deprived of citizenship in more circumstances. Originally the individual kept their citizenship until the appeal was heard. In 2005 the law was changed so that the individual lost their citizenship before the appeal. Around 2014 the law was changed again so that an individual could be deprived of their citizenship while out of the country. However the government promised this would only happen on rare occasions and that there would still be a right of appeal. In fact this power has been used many times. In addition the law was changed so that for the first time an individual could be deprived of citizenship even ion it made them 'stateless'. in the first 100 years since the law was passed very few people lost their citzenship. Between 2010 and 2021, 767 people lost their citizenship. There has been many appeals, some successful some not.

That doesn't sound to me like the UK 'going soft'. And if we're now suggesting that we want to live in a country where a Home Secretary can remove someone's citizenship without having to justify that decision to anybody and that the person involved has no right to challenge that decision we're moving in quite the opposite direction to being 'soft'.

But don’t you see the cost involved until that claim is processed? That’s the pisstake people are thinking of when the majority of claims are not accepted and that money could be used in other ways.
Yes of course I do. It seems pretty clear that something is happening with Albania that has little if anything to do with people seeking protection from persecution (although before the recent increase in numbers there was a smaller but steady stream of people from Albania given refugee status (mostly women I believe). I have no problem with the government trying to deal with that.

The issue for me is that the government reaction (and I'm afraid a significant proportion of the population) is that if a proportion of people are 'abusing the system', the answer is to make life difficult / impossible for everybody in that system in this case (amongst other things) by criminalising everybody that arrives across the channel "genuine asylum seeker" or otherwise.

It was the point I made a few days ago about benefits, the Tory approach (and again that a section of the population) is that if some people are abusing the system then it should be changed to make life difficult for everybody in it. In the benefit system you get the 'Daily Mail' narrative that people on benefits are all scroungers with mobile phones and wide screen tvs and in the asylum system that all applicants are criminal piss-takers who don't want to work.

Personally I've never subscribed to the idea that people that need help should be denied it because of a fear that somebody might get something they don't 'deserve' but I accept that it's not a universal view.

Yes of course I do. It seems pretty clear that something is happening with Albania that has little if anything to do with people seeking protection from persecution (although before the recent increase in numbers there was a smaller but steady stream of people from Albania given refugee status (mostly women I believe). I have no problem with the government trying to deal with that.

The issue for me is that the government reaction (and I'm afraid a significant proportion of the population) is that if a proportion of people are 'abusing the system', the answer is to make life difficult / impossible for everybody in that system in this case (amongst other things) by criminalising everybody that arrives across the channel "genuine asylum seeker" or otherwise.

It was the point I made a few days ago about benefits, the Tory approach (and again that a section of the population) is that if some people are abusing the system then it should be changed to make life difficult for everybody in it. In the benefit system you get the 'Daily Mail' narrative that people on benefits are all scroungers with mobile phones and wide screen tvs and in the asylum system that all applicants are criminal piss-takers who don't want to work.

Personally I've never subscribed to the idea that people that need help should be denied it because of a fear that somebody might get something they don't 'deserve' but I accept that it's not a universal view.
Somehow they have got the money together to pay smugglers 1000s of pounds a visa is cheaper, they have passed through multiple safe countries and many have destroyed documentation. You don't know who they are if they have committed crimes in their home countries. There are people who want to come here and go through the proper process and will make a contribution they should have priority.

Reactions: 3
Do you have a link to this, I’d like to read why the lost them.
The details of each individual case are not published. You can read about the history of 'deprivation of citizenship'and some overall numbers in a research briefing posted in the House of Commons Library. The link below is to the latest 2023 version which I think has been a bit sanitised compared to the previous one. That had more explanation of the concerns expressed in parliament (by MPs from all sides) to the changes in 2014:

You can see reports of individual immigration cases considered by SIAC (the Special Immigration Appeals Commission) sat the following link. Most of the individuals concerned are anonymous although documents related to Shamim Begum are named. The cases regarding loss of citizenship are called 'deprivation'. As you can see there have been lots of appeals but the media only tends to report on Shamim Begum perhaps because the case attracted so much attention when she first left the country. As you will also see, some of the evidence considered by SIAC is not recorded in the public documents because it involves security issues:

Fair enough everyone thinks differently and you’re entitled to your opinion ,it’s only when those that don’t share your opinion are branded a certain way gets my goat, not everyone is far right or reads the Daily Mail, nor do they believe government propaganda, maybe they’re seeing this abuse first hand and want something done about before it gets completely out of hand.

So what I know someone who initially came on a humanitarian visa , he applied for it in the proper way not jumping on a dinghy works very hard in healthcare, he had to have police checks. They are trying to jump the system, destroying their documentation. I question why people destroy their documents and what value they are going to bring the UK. We don't have unlimited taxpayers funds , schooling , healthcare to allow everyone in who wants too. There's lots of hardworking people who do want to come here and apply in the proper way.
Somehow they have got the money together to pay smugglers 1000s of pounds a visa is cheaper, they have passed through multiple safe countries and many have destroyed documentation. You don't know who they are if they have committed crimes in their home countries. There are people who want to come here and go through the proper process and will make a contribution they should have priority.
Your posts raise quite a few questions:
  1. Can you explain how someone would apply for a 'humanitarian visa' from outside the UK or indeed what is a 'humanitarian visa'?
  2. What are the requirements to get a visa to come to the UK to work in health or care or another profession?
  3. Do you think that all asylum seekers could apply for a work visa instead?
  4. What makes you think that people given refugee status in the UK don't or don't want to work or make a contribution
  5. How many work visas were granted compared with successful asylum claims last year - does this show asylum seekers "jumping the system"
  6. How long does it take to get a work visa compared with having an asylum claim considered - does this show asylum seekers "jumping the system"
  7. Are people that come to the UK as refugees under the various resettlement and other schemes "jumping the system' or is it just those crossing the Channel?
  8. How many people entered the UK with a visa last year, how many were given refugee status (or even applied for it) - are you suggesting we have "taxpayers funds, schooling, healthcare" for the former but not the latter?
  9. Do you even accept the concept of refugees i.e. a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution or natural disaster?

Last edited:
Your posts raise quite a few questions:
  1. Can you explain how someone would apply for a 'humanitarian visa' from outside the UK or indeed what is a 'humanitarian visa'?
  2. What are the requirements to get a visa to come to the UK to work in health or care or another profession?
  3. Do you think that all asylum seekers could apply for a work visa instead?
  4. What makes you think that people given refugee status in the UK don't or don't want to work or make a contribution
  5. How many work visas were granted compared with successful asylum claims last year - does this show asylum seekers "jumping the system"
  6. How long does it take to get a work visa compared with having an asylum claim considered - does this show asylum seekers "jumping the system"
  7. Are people that come to the UK as refugees under the various resettlement and other schemes "jumping the system' or is it just those crossing the Channel?
  8. How many people entered the UK with a visa last year, how many were given refugee status (or even applied for it) - are you suggesting we have "taxpayers funds, schooling, healthcare" for the former but not the latter?
  9. Do you even accept the concept of refugees i.e. a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution or natural disaster?
Refugees who have passed through numerous safe countries to reach the UK? Are they fleeing for their lives from France ? If they have relatives here already they can ask their relative to apply for the correct dependent visa. If you aren't educated can't speak English and can't really make a contribution it should only be the most most needy as the British taxpayer will have to fund their healthcare, housing and living costs. 6.1 billion people live in developing countries we cannot invite everyone who wants to make a life here it's not sustainable. I hate it but that's the truth, life is not fair.. I would be happy to give more aid money.

Refugees who have passed through numerous safe countries to reach the UK? Are they fleeing for their lives from France ? If they have relatives here already they can ask their relative to apply for the correct dependent visa. If you aren't educated can't speak English and can't really make a contribution it should only be the most most needy as the British taxpayer will have to fund their healthcare, housing and living costs. 6.1 billion people live in developing countries we cannot invite everyone who wants to make a life here it's not sustainable. I hate it but that's the truth, life is not fair.. I would be happy to give more aid money.
So the humanitarian visa is a family visa or??

Okay I realise that was a lot of questions all at once so I'll just repeat two and ask one new one to see if we can make progress with actual facts
  2. Do you even accept the concept of refugees i.e. a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution or natural disaster?
  3. Are refugees required to apply for asylum in the first safe country they enter?