English Channel migrant crossing crisis #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Putting the choice in the hands of the people you claim to be actively stopping is a weak strategy.

Just because New York is doing it doesn't make it any less feeble.

That may be only the first step to more robust measures ? we don’t know what plans any government are drawing up…It’s usually a softly,softly, approach in the beginning….So you would prefer they took a hardline approach ?

Putting the choice in the hands of the people you claim to be actively stopping is a weak strategy.

Just because New York is doing it doesn't make it any less feeble.
Lol literally. Imagine you’re an exhausted migrant who has finally arrived to the US border and someone hands you a flyer saying “pls don’t come, it’s very expensive 🥹”, you’re not even gonna look at it. Like bffr, does anyone actually think that’d make them turn around and go back? 💀

• Haha
Reactions: 4
That may be only the first step to more robust measures ? we don’t know what plans any government are drawing up…It’s usually a softly,softly, approach in the beginning….So you would prefer they took a hardline approach ?
The UK government literally rejected amendments to the Immigration Bill which would have introduced a harder stance on criminal gangs that smuggle people and the illegal routes use. The choice was there and the UK government said 'nah'.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
The UK government literally rejected amendments to the Immigration Bill which would have introduced a harder stance on criminal gangs that smuggle people and the illegal routes use. The choice was there and the UK government said 'nah'.
Because they’ll probably take a hardline approach ?like a few EU countries are looking at .

Reactions: 1
Because they’re testing the water.
It's weak and pathetic. They've forced through policies that'll only harm those who actually need help.

There's hardly anything in the bill which has passed that will truly penalise the actual people who misuse the asylum system.

Reactions: 2
It's weak and pathetic. They've forced through policies that'll only harm those who actually need help.

There's hardly anything in the bill which has passed that will truly penalise the actual people who misuse the asylum system.
The economic migrants?

Paris is looking pretty grim

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
The Afghans being kicked out of the hotels has made a resurge in the news cycle it seems. Interestingly, the Government has decided to keep the hotel rooms as “buffer” for asylum seekers:

It smells an awful lot like the Government trying to shift blame to asylum seekers and avoid criticism for not having progressed with this group of people. The reasoning they originally gave was that the hotels were too expensive if I remember right

Also, given the discussion of smuggling gangs themselves not being targeted, I thought this was particularly interesting - especially the last point:
IMG_4678.jpeg

It’s particularly interesting that this policy seems to be reflected by our own policy. I’ve posted about the criminal trials for those that were steering the boats recently
The Bill (I think it’s now an Act?) also included something about people who are cooperating in criminal proceedings not being removed in some circumstances, though I don’t know whether they kept that with all of the amendments - and it probably doesn’t matter unless the asylum seeker is Albanian

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.