English Channel migrant crossing crisis #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone know the comparable figures of how many immigrants coming to the UK on boats get picked up, compared to how many are able to enter the UK completely unnoticed?

Cos my immediate thought was, how many boats are able to land and offload passengers un noticed? This policy has a danger that the smugglers will just take even more risks with peoples lives, to land them out of sight of the authorities?
I'm sure that nobody knows that figure (whatever they tell you). I agree it's a risk that more will not bother to try to apply for asylum if they know that the government has already declared them 'illegal' before they set foot on UK soil. Similarly how many of those those that are detained and then released 'on bail' (as they will have to be) will decide that they have a better chance of remaining in the Uk by simply disappearing.

Reactions: 1
In light of this new legislation the means for you to support a family in need have been in place since 2016.

So what is stopping YOU doing something practical to help?

Yeah it’s all very CT on here , surprising as the government were to be trusted completely during the pandemic by most of those now dawning the tinfoil hat 😂

• Haha
I wish I knew what on earth to do with all the asylum seekers though.

The UK is in a recession and social services, housing, and the NHS are bursting at the seams. I want to be fair and to welcome all asylum seekers who are in genuine need to come to the country.
But I am also aware that one of the issues around Brexit, especially in the East, was around imigration, especially the number of Eastern Europeans who were coming into East Anglia for work, especially in the hospitality and farm sectors, workers were believed to accept lower wages, thereby undercutting the national wage and there wasn't enough additional funds made available to support local NHS trusts and schools, etc Therefore, it did cause resentment, and it was difficult. Existing funds and budgets that were already stretched, were stretched even further!

And...because of the openness of the North Sea, with myriads of tiny ports up and down the coast, I would imagine, there is actually loads of unregistered immigration going on across the north sea, its not just the English Channel where boats can cross easily, There are loads of small boats coming and going. into loads of small leisure harbours and marinas! I cant imagine there are enough coast guards and customs officials to check all of them.

I thought one of the biggest issues currently however was that we haven't actually sorted out the legalities with Europe etc of how to re patriate anyone back to safe countries eg Albania. This did exist, before but not now.

Reactions: 5
Anyway isn't that case 5 years old? Government has changed the rules on age assessments since then. We've previously covered the fact that the numbers of age errors are minimal. Still I suppose it's time that bogeyman got another airing.
61% is not minimal
---
In light of this new legislation the means for you to support a family in need have been in place since 2016.

So what is stopping YOU doing something practical to help?
I think that’s a great idea, I’m sure a sponsor would help with the accommodation shortage, wonder how many would step up.

Why do immigrants not stay in France? Or do some stay there? Are France more strict with immigration? Or do immigrants want to come here instead of France, and why? Are other countries throughout Europe seeing the kind of numbers we are?

Just trying to understand the situation more.

Reactions: 3
It said the HO challenged minor cases I asked are lawyers involved in these 🥴 61 % were found to be adults.
https://news.sky.com/story/asylum-seeker-who-claimed-to-be-15-and-joined-school-is-an-adult-11561810Asylum seeker removed from school is an adult
That article is also 5 years old and the 61% statistic is a bit misleading as it refers to assessed cases and the majority are not assessed.

This is all old data anyway.

Sunk says that people arriving by small boat in order to claim asylum is "devastatingly unfair" on genuine asylum seekers. This seems slightly at odds with the fact that the vast majority of people arriving that way are granted asylum which one might think is good indicator that they are 'genuine' too.

What he and most other people who support this nonsense don't want to say is that they don't care if asylum seekers are genuine or not. They just don't want them here.

Ok, some thoughts from today.........

This summer will see the most boat people ever come across the channel.

If UK residents don't see footage of said people being deported shortly the riots will increase in number and frequency and will become violent.

Human rights lawyers will be working weekends and holidays to capitalise on the extra amount of immigrants who will now have to prove they are ill, will be harmed if sent back etc etc.

I think the British public know Gov have shafted them again.

Reactions: 3
I wish I knew what on earth to do with all the asylum seekers though.

The UK is in a recession and social services, housing, and the NHS are bursting at the seams. I want to be fair and to welcome all asylum seekers who are in genuine need to come to the country.
But I am also aware that one of the issues around Brexit, especially in the East, was around imigration, especially the number of Eastern Europeans who were coming into East Anglia for work, especially in the hospitality and farm sectors, workers were believed to accept lower wages, thereby undercutting the national wage and there wasn't enough additional funds made available to support local NHS trusts and schools, etc Therefore, it did cause resentment, and it was difficult. Existing funds and budgets that were already stretched, were stretched even further!

And...because of the openness of the North Sea, with myriads of tiny ports up and down the coast, I would imagine, there is actually loads of unregistered immigration going on across the north sea, its not just the English Channel where boats can cross easily, There are loads of small boats coming and going. into loads of small leisure harbours and marinas! I cant imagine there are enough coast guards and customs officials to check all of them.

I thought one of the biggest issues currently however was that we haven't actually sorted out the legalities with Europe etc of how to re patriate anyone back to safe countries eg Albania. This did exist, before but not now.
They’ll just arrive in Ireland and travel to the UK , there are no checks in the common travel area, infact since Ireland have run out of accommodation they’re only housing asylum seekers with children they’ve already seen a marked decrease in the numbers of people looking for international protection ,probably because they’ve moved to the UK .

Reactions: 2
Human rights lawyers will be working weekends and holidays to capitalise on the extra amount of immigrants who will now have to prove they are ill, will be harmed if sent back etc etc.
You’d first have to have an agreement to allow deportation from what I understand

I scrolled through the Bill earlier and there’s a bunch of qualifications on where someone could be deported. Working from memory, they couldn’t be deported to their home country - though there may be some qualifications around that too as there’s a whole section about showing that they wouldn’t be at risk of harm which seemed to be connected to deportations

61% is not accurate
Just going by that old article, it’s probably a lot more now as they don’t even know the ages of those young adults that went missing so checks must be as flimsy now as they were when there was less claims being processed.

Why do immigrants not stay in France? Or do some stay there? Are France more strict with immigration? Or do immigrants want to come here instead of France, and why? Are other countries throughout Europe seeing the kind of numbers we are?

Just trying to understand the situation more.
This might help (the video at the bottom of the link).

Last edited:
Just going by that old article, it’s probably a lot more now as they don’t even know the ages of those young adults that went missing so checks must be as flimsy now as they were when there was less claims being processed.
I shared the full fact article that explains why the statistic is misleading. It's not about the age of the data.
Given that the government has introduced more robust policies to identify peoples ages it's probably less of an issue now than it was previously.

I shared the full fact article that explains why the statistic is misleading. It's not about the age of the data.
Given that the government has introduced more robust policies to identify peoples ages it's probably less of an issue now than it was previously.
How when there’s more arriving and disappearing from their accommodation?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.