English Channel migrant crossing crisis #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Better that than hotels , once it starts impacting the tourist trade I’m sure they’ll be a lot more than locals being annoyed.
I agree, I thought it was a good use of the barracks. As long as they have maintained well enough.

Reactions: 1
I agree, I thought it was a good use of the barracks. As long as they have maintained well enough.
If they are anything like Napier Barracks, they won't have been. In 2021 The High Court said that they were “inadequate accommodation” for asylum seekers and labelled the process for selecting people to be accommodated at the Barracks as “flawed and unlawful”. The Home Office claimed that following that judgement, "significant improvements' were made. In 2022 the All Party Parliamentary Group on Immigration Detention visited and found that they had "failed to address the fundamental problems at the site". Look at the pictures on the link. If that's conditions after a "significant improvement" what were they like before?

• Wow
Reactions: 3
The view of MPs:

Migration policies are harming families and society

Current migration rules are at odds with the Government’s commitment to family life: they force family members to live apart. The arrival of spouses and partners of British citizens is deterred or delayed by complex rules and financial requirements. Children grow up without a parent. Families are effectively banned from being joined in the UK by elderly parents. Child refugees cannot be joined by any relatives.

Rules are overly restrictive and the Home Office is systematically deficient in its processing of family visa applications. Delays pile up, communication is appallingly poor, evidential requirements—how you prove your case—are unduly complex, and fees are prohibitive. This affects British citizens, refugees and permanent residents, including children born in the UK and adult citizens who have never lived in another country but have family members of a different nationality.

Family migration policies also undermine society. Essential skills are lost when people feel they have no alternative but to leave the UK, and some people may not come in the first place. The NHS is particularly affected. An individual’s contribution to the economy is weakened when a partner or parent is not allowed into the country to help raise children. In extreme cases, migration policies force families into destitution, making them reliant on the state.

The committee recognises that strict criteria and vetting of applications is necessary; public support demands it. The committee believes, however, that policies that respect family life also benefit society. With this report, the committee brings the question of family migration back to public attention, making its recommendations to nurture family life and unleash the potential of families to contribute to society.

Baroness Hamwee, Chair of the Justice and Home Affairs Committee, said: “Nobody should have to choose between home, safety, and family. The primary concern of family migration policies should be to allow families to live together in the UK where possible and the Home Office should ensure safe and legal routes for family reunion.

“The interests of families and society are not in competition: they go hand-in-hand. Family migration policies should ensure that they are sufficiently protective of family life.

“These restrictive rules and deficiencies affect British citizens, refugees, and permanent residents alike. As one witness told us: “I feel that, although I am a British citizen, I have no rights”.

“We believe that it is in the best interests of a child living in this country to be surrounded by their family and to remain here. The scandal around the children placed in asylum hotels—and going missing from them—points up the importance of looking at immigration from the child’s point of view.

“Current policies are extreme. It is virtually impossible to be joined by an elderly parent who needs care. No visa was issued to anyone in that situation in 2021. Tight but fair immigration rules should allow families to live together.

“The minimum income requirement, which those trying to be joined by a partner must meet, is fundamentally flawed. It should be made more flexible, and should not increase.

“Home Office processes must improve considerably, and standards of service substantially raised, without applicants left in the dark as to what is happening.

“The Government should significantly increase funding to improve the standards of the services the Home Office delivers to families. Recruiting and training caseworkers is an essential yet insufficient starting point.

Didn’t they give overseas nurses notice to leave their accommodation as it was being lined up for young men seeking asylum🙄
It’s always been that way if a person marries a foreign spouse they have to prove they’re able to support them before they can come to the UK , there’s hundreds of women and children in Thailand and Russia that can’t join their uk husbands for exactly that reason.I’m sure their right to a family life is just as valid.

Attachments

Last edited:
If they are anything like Napier Barracks, they won't have been. In 2021 The High Court said that they were “inadequate accommodation” for asylum seekers and labelled the process for selecting people to be accommodated at the Barracks as “flawed and unlawful”. The Home Office claimed that following that judgement, "significant improvements' were made. In 2022 the All Party Parliamentary Group on Immigration Detention visited and found that they had "failed to address the fundamental problems at the site". Look at the pictures on the link. If that's conditions after a "significant improvement" what were they like before?
OK yeah the one near me isn't great either.

Given that Barracks are built as accommodation I had naively assumed it was a good solution.

It’s always been that way if a person marries a foreign spouse they have to prove they’re able to support them before they can come to the UK , there’s hundreds of women and children in Thailand and Russia that can’t join their uk husbands for exactly that reason.I’m sure their right to a family life is just as valid.
Which is said in the report I shared...

I highlighted the parts that were relevant to refugees because that's the discussion of this thread but the report acknowledges that rules have negative impacts on all people who come to the UK.

We know there’s thousands of people affected it’s not a new thing.
Yes, we do. The report also highlights some of the consequences which are then complained about by British citizens when it comes to migrants and refugees.

It says policy restrictions can push people to rely on the state, do not protect children and limits the number of skilled people that are allowed into the country. All complaints which have been raised in this and the last thread when people discuss who we should prioritise when speaking of migrants and/or refugees or the supposed burden they place on this country.

Yes, we do. The report also highlights some of the consequences which are then complained about by British citizens when it comes to migrants and refugees.

It says policy restrictions can push people to rely on the state, do not protect children and limits the number of skilled people that are allowed into the country. All complaints which have been raised in this and the last thread when people discuss who we should prioritise when speaking of migrants and/or refugees or the supposed burden they place on this country.
Skilled people can apply for work visas ?
---
Surely it must be better than the streets ? That’s all that’s on offer from the Irish government unless you have a child In tow .

Last edited:
Skilled people can apply for work visas ?
Yes, they have to meet certain criteria including a minimum salary, which the report I shared says is restrictive. I'm not sure why you're asking questions nor why I'm relaying this to you because it's all covered in the article I shared. I'll stop engaging now.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I thought this was a discussion forum 🤷🏼‍♀️
Feel free to put me on ignore.
Lets face it they’ll be thousands unable to get accommodation whether they’re skilled or not, even students will find it impossible with private landlords under HO contracts for years.

Reactions: 5

Matteo Piantedosi, the interior minister, criticised parents who boarded the boat from Turkey with their families, saying: “Desperation can never justify travelling in conditions that endanger the lives of their children.”
Worth noting that he’s facing criticism for this stance

• Sad
That’s the reality of people smugglers/ greed ,apparently it was a child navigating the boat, Turkey are deporting thousands of asylum seekers , there’s calls for the EU to put a stop to the dinghies , looking at scenes like that should make countries want to act.

We've discussed the NRM a bit and the Government seems to have an increased focus on it so it feels somewhat relevant, especially as some asylum seekers have been referred into the system:
The Guardian has obtained freedom of information data from the Home Office which reveals that 566 potential or confirmed victims of trafficking – from the UK and other countries – were categorised as “missing” between 2020 and 2022 after being referred to the national referral mechanism (NRM), which is designed to provide victims with safety and support.

The highest number was 258 victims in 2022, up from 232 in 2021 and 76 in 2020. The majority of the children who went missing were Albanian boys, and the majority of missing adults were Vietnamese men.
“It is incredibly worrying that such significant numbers of victims are slipping through systems of support,” she said. “This data shows a real risk of retrafficking in the UK, even amongst people who report modern slavery and make steps towards recovery.
“Sadly, most of the people who abscond are Vietnamese nationals and this seems to be linked to the extreme levels of psychological abuse that they are subjected to by their traffickers. When they arrive at our services they are especially wary of the authorities and worried about threats to their families.”

She added: “We are seeing some success with pilots of safehouses specifically for Vietnamese men, where we’ve found they respond well and settle better.”
A Home Office spokesperson said: “We are committed to do everything we can in supporting genuine victims of modern slavery. Individuals who we consider to be potential victims of modern slavery are provided with appropriate support, including accommodation. There are many reasons people may leave accommodation provided for them, and it is testament to the world-leading support the UK provides that so few of those placed in that accommodation do so.”
This is flowing right over my head so someone else can look into it a bit more but from what I understand the money should be used for international aid projects and the rules only permit it to be used on refugees for their first year here. It also seems that the government is not cooperating with providing further information. It's also a bit unclear to me whether this includes asylum seekers or just refugees given that the headline uses refugees, the article sometimes throws in asylum claimants (but also distinguishes them from refugees) and then the end discusses Ukrainians and Afghans

As much as a third of the heavily cut UK overseas aid budget is being spent on housing refugees in the UK, the international development select committee says in a report today.

Describing the trend as unsustainable and unprecedented, the committee also finds UK aid spending per refugee has almost tripled, increasing from £6,700 in 2019 to £21,700 in 2021, according to the most recent three years of figures.

The select committee says it has been a political choice by the government to spend so much of the aid budget on refugees in the UK, and insists it is not required to do so by international rules defining legitimate aid

The committee members say they have hit a brick wall in getting information from the government about the precise current spending, but say it is known that more than £1bn of UK’s aid budget was spent on refugees in the UK in 2021, representing almost 10% of the total budget.

• Sad
... This is flowing right over my head so someone else can look into it a bit more but from what I understand the money should be used for international aid projects and the rules only permit it to be used on refugees for their first year here. It also seems that the government is not cooperating with providing further information. It's also a bit unclear to me whether this includes asylum seekers or just refugees given that the headline uses refugees, the article sometimes throws in asylum claimants (but also distinguishes them from refugees) and then the end discusses Ukrainians and Afghans
I haven't had time to look at this specific issue but as generality my wife used to work in scientific research funding and she frequently told me that the government used the overseas aid budget for all sorts of things that a reasonable person would conclude had nothing to do with overseas aid.

Edit: the source of the article in The Guardian is this report from the parliamentary International Development Committee. It explains the issue in greater depth. In 2015 the government spent 2% of the total budget on refugee costs within the UK, in 2020 it was 4.3% and in 2021 it was 10%.

The committeee says that in response to questions raised by the IDC Chair The Home Office was "entirely and wilfully unilluminating". The IDC concludes that the government is guilty of "performing a budgetary sleight of hand at the expense of people living in the world’s poorest countries".

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Rishi Sunak expected to announce new powers to stop small boat crossings | Immigration and asylum | The Guardian
The legislation, first reported in the Times, is expected to make asylum claims inadmissible from those who travel to the UK on small boats.

It would involve a duty being placed on the home secretary to remove “as soon as reasonably practicable” anyone who arrives on a small boat to Rwanda or a “safe third country”. Arrivals will also be prevented from claiming asylum while in the UK, with plans also to ban them from returning once removed.
I predict this going well and being totally lawful

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.