Emigrating?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone sorely tempted to just sell up and emigrate? I’m so sick of the UK. I feel like I’m merely existing here with zero quality of life and am craving a change!

Interested to hear if anyone has made the jump! If you have, where did you go and how did you find it? What was the process? Positives? Negatives?

I’m sooooo tempted by Australia!

Reactions: 9
Dont know if this answer will interest you as it wasn’t my choice. But I’m from England and my parents decided to move to France when I was younger, and honestly best choice ever. They wanted to move to Australia originally but it was too far from our family.
moving country is great you learn so much. The only thing that bothers me is that I miss English food, like stupid things, I would kill for certain foods 😂

Reactions: 1
Dont know if this answer will interest you as it wasn’t my choice. But I’m from England and my parents decided to move to France when I was younger, and honestly best choice ever. They wanted to move to Australia originally but it was too far from our family.
moving country is great you learn so much. The only thing that bothers me is that I miss English food, like stupid things, I would kill for certain foods 😂
Ha that’s seriously one of my considerations! I love marmite and Vegemite simply is not the same! 😂

Am honestly tempted as well, I can't stand being here anymore, towns a dump, transports ridiculously overpriced if you want to get out the tit hole, my folks almost went to Australia when we were younger an my dad at the very last moment couldn't do it, now I wonder just how much life would have been different if he did an if it would have been better than living in this place where clearly mental health is a problem for company's since they are happy to close the door on your face

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Am honestly tempted as well, I can't stand being here anymore, towns a dump, transports ridiculously overpriced if you want to get out the tit hole, my folks almost went to Australia when we were younger an my dad at the very last moment couldn't do it, now I wonder just how much life would have been different if he did an if it would have been better than living in this place where clearly mental health is a problem for company's since they are happy to close the door on your face
Similar story here- my grandad and nana were going to move over in the 1960’s but decided to stay in Yorkshire instead. Often wonder how life would have turned out for my family if they had moved over.

The work/life balance does seem better in Australia then it is over here. I feel we just work to pay the bills only to come home, sit in front of the telly and then wake up and do it all over again.

Going off topic but I’m sorry your mental health isn’t great at the moment. Hopefully you will find a company soon that are much more supportive where you feel valued.

Reactions: 4
Similar story here- my grandad and nana were going to move over in the 1960’s but decided to stay in Yorkshire instead. Often wonder how life would have turned out for my family if they had moved over.

The work/life balance does seem better in Australia then it is over here. I feel we just work to pay the bills only to come home, sit in front of the telly and then wake up and do it all over again.

Going off topic but I’m sorry your mental health isn’t great at the moment. Hopefully you will find a company soon that are much more supportive where you feel valued.
Thank you, honestly am not sure if life would have been better or not had we went, it's always going to be a "what if" ill have an I think because I honestly loath this town so much I fool myself into truly believing that life would have been so much better in Australia even though I think they have a more expensive way of living over there, I think the pay is good but it needs to be in order to balance out the costs of things, my dad was the one essentially getting us in as his job was a skill an we also have family over there so we had our sponsors as well, but I don't know how life truly would have turned out, I was around 7 when they were going, maybe I'd have come back home or went to another country but who knows now

I moved to nz with my family when I was younger then back to the U.K. after a few years, only for me to move back to nz last year as an adult :) I can honestly say it’s the best thing we have done. We have proper seasons and a long summer which makes a difference, kinder people, a better work life balance and just seeing the news in the U.K. makes me know I’m in the better country. It’s hard as although I lived here as a child, it’s like starting again as I only kept in contact with a few friends but the opportunity my parents gave me by moving here has by far made me a more adventurous person. Go for it, even if you just try it out for 2 years.
happy to answer any questions you have :)

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My partner and two children have bajan citizenship (Barbados) and altho we are not married I can gain citizenship as a parent to my children

late last year I was seriously contemplating moving out there. Like thinking about it constantly 24/7. England and it’s drab winter has sent me over the edge this year and I just wanted to up and leave to the sun and vibrant colours. We were there for 3 weeks in September and coming back to the dull concrete towns, brown and grey scenery, no sun, sent me under.
But in reality, it wouldn’t work. Cost of living is extremely high there and wages are very low. I’d have to work 6 days a week and hardly see my children, it would be a massive struggle to make ends meet there. Even sending children to school costs an absolute fortune as you have to buy all their specific school books totally around £500 every year. Food is extortionate. Petrol the same. Cars are crazy prices for old crappy bangers. We would scrape by maybe but I don’t want to struggle and worry and stress. I’ve only in the last few weeks become comfortable again with life here for now. It’s an option to retire there though maybe

• Heart
Reactions: 5
We have been considering it for some time. My husband is American and we are much closer to his family than mine and now we are having our first child it would just make sense.

He has been offered an amazing job opportunity, which thankfully he can take up at any point in the next 2 years if wanted.

I’ve never been 100% certain on doing it but part of me feels if we don’t do it now, we never will.

Reactions: 6
Yep I’ve also been thinking about moving to Australia! I don’t currently qualify for any visas except the working holiday one but only for another few months before I’m too old for it lol. I’m hoping that in a few years time I’ll have a career that will allow me a more long term visa, possibly with the option of permanent residence. I know so many people that moved out there when we were in our early 20s and I kick myself for not doing the same. I do love Scotland but the winters are really taking its toll on me now. Just feel like there’s not a lot to do here either which sounds silly but we’re such a small country I feel like I’ve ‘been there done that’.

I’m single and don’t plan on having children so we’ll see what the future brings!

Loving hearing everyone’s stories! Thank you all for sharing.

Yep I’ve also been thinking about moving to Australia! I don’t currently qualify for any visas except the working holiday one but only for another few months before I’m too old for it lol. I’m hoping that in a few years time I’ll have a career that will allow me a more long term visa, possibly with the option of permanent residence. I know so many people that moved out there when we were in our early 20s and I kick myself for not doing the same. I do love Scotland but the winters are really taking its toll on me now. Just feel like there’s not a lot to do here either which sounds silly but we’re such a small country I feel like I’ve ‘been there done that’.

I’m single and don’t plan on having children so we’ll see what the future brings!
The visa thing takes some getting your head around doesn’t it! I think I would be able to get a skills based visa. I have a background in special education, but only problem is I haven’t completed the final stage of initial teacher training. I’m not sure if I could go and then complete my teacher training over there or whether it would be better doing my teacher training here. Seems a bit silly though doing teacher training here though if I won’t be following a UK curriculum!

At the moment, it’s just a loose idea but as time goes on, I’ve realised if I ever want to make it a reality and seriously have the option of making the change then I need to research and organise the feasibility of actually going out there. Where do you even start?! So far, I’m guessing it’s by saving a hell of a lot of money!!!!

At the moment, it’s just a loose idea but as time goes on, I’ve realised if I ever want to make it a reality and seriously have the option of making the change then I need to research and organise the feasibility of actually going out there. Where do you even start?! So far, I’m guessing it’s by saving a hell of a lot of money!!!!
Our biggest start was getting our sponsors sorted, am not sure if its still a thing or not but for us it was giving us a huge help in getting over there, my dad's skill was also needed heavily at the time so that helped, have you researched into what places in Australia are low with your skill? It helps if your planning to go to a area that's low with it an then stay a year or two an look to other places to move if you aren't happy once you have the foot in the door, there's a higher chance of being accepted if they need you in a specific area compared to areas that's probably got loads in your line of work, after that it was mostly comparing cost of living vs wage and all the other details like if the area we wanted were going accept us into schools, doctors, dentists etc and then thinking about if we were going be able to cope with the summer heatwaves, risks of wildspread fires, droughts, not seeing family etc not that am putting you off or anything, but it's things you don't realise at the time, again many go over an it's the best thing they ever did so it can work out for the best

Loving hearing everyone’s stories! Thank you all for sharing.

The visa thing takes some getting your head around doesn’t it! I think I would be able to get a skills based visa. I have a background in special education, but only problem is I haven’t completed the final stage of initial teacher training. I’m not sure if I could go and then complete my teacher training over there or whether it would be better doing my teacher training here. Seems a bit silly though doing teacher training here though if I won’t be following a UK curriculum!

The website anzscosearch is quite helpful. I’m not sure how accurate it is but you create a free account and can search jobs and it tells you which visa you are eligible for, which states accept it etc. It even gives you an idea of the average salary for each job too but as I say I’m not sure exactly how accurate or up to date the site is.

Reactions: 2
Loving this thread. I’d love to emigrate…one of the things that puts me off is the spiders in Australia. Does that make me sound stupid?! Probably.

I’d love to move abroad for sure. I feel like I’m UK it’s merely a case of existing. Like not much hope either!

Reactions: 2
Loving this thread. I’d love to emigrate…one of the things that puts me off is the spiders in Australia. Does that make me sound stupid?! Probably.

I’d love to move abroad for sure. I feel like I’m UK it’s merely a case of existing. Like not much hope either!
I felt like that before I went to Aus on holiday but once you’re there you are fine and sorta know where you’d find a spider e.g not leaving shoes outside but also not being so OTT that you check under your sheets etc before you go to bed.

I moved to nz with my family when I was younger then back to the U.K. after a few years, only for me to move back to nz last year as an adult :) I can honestly say it’s the best thing we have done. We have proper seasons and a long summer which makes a difference, kinder people, a better work life balance and just seeing the news in the U.K. makes me know I’m in the better country. It’s hard as although I lived here as a child, it’s like starting again as I only kept in contact with a few friends but the opportunity my parents gave me by moving here has by far made me a more adventurous person. Go for it, even if you just try it out for 2 years.
happy to answer any questions you have :)
New Zealand is my absolute dream place to move to. I’d love to hear more about your experiences and the comparisons. Especially the price of living I’ve heard rent is so high.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Not stupid at all! I think we’ve grown up in England petrified of wildlife in Australia thanks to tv shows showing everything over there as deadly! 😂

New Zealand is my absolute dream place to move to. I’d love to hear more about your experiences and the comparisons. Especially the price of living I’ve heard rent is so high.
Always dreamed of moving to New Zealand too. I’ve travelled around it when I was 18 and fell in love . Don’t think I’d have the balls to love so far away from my family but I would love to know how the monthly outgoings compare to UK outgoings.

I have the same job I had in the U.K and earn £7k/$14k more here than I did in the U.K. for it. I live in the South Island, the north island is more expensive to live in so maybe incomes are higher there? I guess it depends where you lived in the U.K. for rent but over here I pay $430 a week for a 2 bed house but I know of people who pay 400 for a 3bed. Food is more expensive however most of it is nz grown (unlike the U.K. where it’s mostly imported) and I like the idea that It forces me to be conscious of making food last rather than wast (like I did in the U.K.) and also to buy seasonally!
despite this, we still save $700 a week after bills and food etc.
we don’t have children but are working on this .. childcare is very cheap. About $6/£3 an hour to go to nursery/ day care! So we would be only spending about $140 a week to send our child to nursery and I can go back to work.
The weather and outdoorsy lifestyle is what makes it so much better than the U.K… I moved here last year so got to experience covid in both the U.K. and nz and I just feel so lucky to be here when I see the situation in the U.K. right now.. it certainly isn’t a place I want my kids to grow up in.

obviously there are areas you stay clear of (we have a lot of gangs in nz especially Auckland) but you get that in every country don’t you? The only thing that makes it hard living here is being away from family and friends!
It cost us around £18k to move here with our dog and all our furniture so took a bit of our savings away!
sorry for the disjointed response, happy to answer any other questions!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I lived in the US for 7 years but came back to the UK after the birth of my Son. If you have no ties then go for it, if you can move away then you can move back just as easily, honestly, I've sold my furniture about 5 times so far. I love the UK in the Summer and as my mortgage finishes in June I'm hoping to find a way to be in the Caribbean in the winter from now on. My only warning is that if you do move abroad it's very likely that for the rest of your ife you will be torn. There's pros and cons to everything. Oz and Nz aren't on my radar as too far.