Emetophobia - any fellow sufferers? What do you do to cope?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I went into the chemist yesterday to collect something and at the entrance door there was a cleaner pouring hot soapy water over something on the pavement and scrubbing with a brush and immediately I thought someone had been sick. I didn’t ask or anything.
And now today I feel like I’ve got a dicky tummy and keep getting that feeling in the back of my throat like im going ti throw up.

I’ve taken an anti sickness tablet and just relaxing whilst my toddler naps.

I despise this time of year there is just germs and everything around and my nerves are in pieces

I went into the chemist yesterday to collect something and at the entrance door there was a cleaner pouring hot soapy water over something on the pavement and scrubbing with a brush and immediately I thought someone had been sick. I didn’t ask or anything.
And now today I feel like I’ve got a dicky tummy and keep getting that feeling in the back of my throat like im going ti throw up.

I’ve taken an anti sickness tablet and just relaxing whilst my toddler naps.

I despise this time of year there is just germs and everything around and my nerves are in pieces
I want to get some anti sickness tablets, did your GP prescribe them?
I totally understand, I wouldn't ask either. I'd want to know but thankfully I know I'm better off not knowing. I would say your mind is playing tricks know you because of what you saw. Try and block it out - easier said than done, I know. Hopefully it passes soon.

I had to collect my daughter from school early today, she's absolutely fine and it was just because her temp was 37.7 (it's their policy to send them home if they have ant raised temp) but my mind is trying to take over and I'm desperately trying to shut it up.

I want to get some anti sickness tablets, did your GP prescribe them?
I totally understand, I wouldn't ask either. I'd want to know but thankfully I know I'm better off not knowing. I would say your mind is playing tricks know you because of what you saw. Try and block it out - easier said than done, I know. Hopefully it passes soon.

I had to collect my daughter from school early today, she's absolutely fine and it was just because her temp was 37.7 (it's their policy to send them home if they have ant raised temp) but my mind is trying to take over and I'm desperately trying to shut it up.
Yea I got some 50mg cyclizne they are amazing. They work a treat and really take nausea away.
Oh no I hope your daughter and you are ok. She could have a raised temp for any reason so try not to let your mind take you into a stressful place xx

Yea I got some 50mg cyclizne they are amazing. They work a treat and really take nausea away.
Oh no I hope your daughter and you are ok. She could have a raised temp for any reason so try not to let your mind take you into a stressful place xx
I think I'll talk to my GP about some anti sickness then, they sound helpful.
She was fine thankfully but my brain just kept throwing stuff at me. It's so hard to stop those little voices isn't it xx

Another day, another bout of paranoia 😫 a kid went home from school poorly today...I got minimal information and didn't ask for anymore - I'm learning this is for the best! But it doesn't stop the worry. God this is a crappy way to live isn't it 😥

Another day, another bout of paranoia 😫 a kid went home from school poorly today...I got minimal information and didn't ask for anymore - I'm learning this is for the best! But it doesn't stop the worry. God this is a crappy way to live isn't it 😥
Honestly it's not living is it? It's daily torture

I’m so glad I found this thread! My mum passed her phobia onto me so I’ve been emetophobic all my life, I’ve done counselling and CBT but nothing seems to work, once that panic starts no amount of deep breathing stops it, I want to speak to my GP about anti sickness tablets but I can’t get an appointment for love nor money! 😩 after over 30 years of it I just want something that’s going to work 😩

I’m so glad I found this thread! My mum passed her phobia onto me so I’ve been emetophobic all my life, I’ve done counselling and CBT but nothing seems to work, once that panic starts no amount of deep breathing stops it, I want to speak to my GP about anti sickness tablets but I can’t get an appointment for love nor money! 😩 after over 30 years of it I just want something that’s going to work 😩
You can buy phenergan tablets over the counter x

Reactions: 1
Honestly it's not living is it? It's daily torture
You're right, it absolutely is 😞

Welcome, you're not alone! Hopefully it'll help to talk to people who know exactly how you feel.
I'm so sorry you've had the phobia passed on to you and that you've not had much luck in helping control it, I wish I could suggest something that would help! I'm very much in the same boat, 30 odd years of trying to deal with this crappy phobia but just struggling through almost every day. This thread is always open if you need to talk xxx

You can buy phenergan tablets over the counter x
Oooo, that's helpful to know. Thank you! X

Last edited:
I feel sick today on and off and I’m certain it’s because I’m just so tired. My toddler isn’t sleeping at the moment and I’m sitting here on the sofa feeling rotten. I am so exhausted and burnt out to the core it’s making me feel ill.

Imagine not having this phobia and not having this worry. Heaven.

I feel sick today on and off and I’m certain it’s because I’m just so tired. My toddler isn’t sleeping at the moment and I’m sitting here on the sofa feeling rotten. I am so exhausted and burnt out to the core it’s making me feel ill.

Imagine not having this phobia and not having this worry. Heaven.
Hope youre ok! I'm sure its down to you being tired too. The paranoia likes to play on that doesnt it.

Oh, that is literally my dream. I desperately want to be the people who don't have this fear. I haven't had a down day from the worry in such a long time, some days are easier than others but it's always there, niggling away, and I'm paranoid everytime the phone rings in case it's the school. God I hate this so much.

Oh my god, my anxiety is through the roof this afternoon. I think there's a bug going round at school and I'm terrified that it's just a matter of time. I feel like I don't know how to cope, the worry and the fear is just unbearable.

ETA aaaaan now here's the paranoia that I don't feel well to add insult to injury 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Oh my god, my anxiety is through the roof this afternoon. I think there's a bug going round at school and I'm terrified that it's just a matter of time. I feel like I don't know how to cope, the worry and the fear is just unbearable.

ETA aaaaan now here's the paranoia that I don't feel well to add insult to injury 😭
I get this xx 😞 nanny louenna app helped with how to help prevent bugs and being on top of washing uniforms after school every night cleaning the shoes on the bottom,buying activated charcoal sachets, stocking up on dettol x or what ever you like to antibac with,keeping on top of sleep crucial,cleaning door handles loos switches more,keeping meals as Healy and fresh as possible,all these things are my coping mechanisms for the tougher worrying times x if you have any to share please do xxx

Add- also I use fit for school supplement it's full of live gut friendly bacteria/vit c
I could go on,I wish I didn't worry so much but I do so I don't know any other way of being xx

I realise as i type all that and share,it's obviously my way of controlling something I very much can't control,and this control is the awful realisation of this phobia but being proactive is how I cope ,I don't think this is the right way,it's just my way xxx when I feel particularly bad,I take a bucket masks a bin bag wipes dettol upstairs at night,just in case ,sometimes I forget and it's always a wonderful feeling like ,wow I forgot about my fear for a couple days,its amazing actually,but I find being proactive,is my only way. School is my ultimate catalyst of worry,I live for holidays,but equally it's hard because then it's all on me x

Last edited:
Thank you @Penny for them, I'm trying to just 'get on with it' but it's impossible. The voices in my head just won't go away. I hate this and I could cry. I don't want to do anything, I've got to cook dinner soon and I just don't want to because I feel so miserable. I'm so scared of going to bed already and I'm watching my kids like a hawk for some sort of sign. This side of my life is so tit.

• Heart

Oh i feel you, as soon as I hear bugs are going about I start to panic and not want to leave the house, I don’t have children yet and sickness bugs in school is something I worry about already, I also worry about morning sickness 😅

This phobia really takes over your life and is so draining.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you @Penny for them, I'm trying to just 'get on with it' but it's impossible. The voices in my head just won't go away. I hate this and I could cry. I don't want to do anything, I've got to cook dinner soon and I just don't want to because I feel so miserable. I'm so scared of going to bed already and I'm watching my kids like a hawk for some sort of sign. This side of my life is so tit.
What you need is comfort x what comforts you? Help? Another person in the house? Ask for help-you need to share you're worry to someone close x to get you through the next few days - here if you need though-I sometimes don't look in here for long as it triggers me too,but I also find it very helpful too 🙃🫣 hug 🤗

Oh i feel you, as soon as I hear bugs are going about I start to panic and not want to leave the house, I don’t have children yet and sickness bugs in school is something I worry about already, I also worry about morning sickness 😅

I felt my bravest when I got pregnant knowing I nearly didn't for fear for this and future so I understand you.

• Heart

Draining, that's absolutely what it is.
I was scared about morning sickness but I was one of the lucky few who didn't get it. I consider myself very lucky! I'm here with my rescue remedy trying to play games on my phone to distract me. Hubby has had to go out and find his own dinner because I've got zero appetite. I just want it to be morning now.

Thank you @Penny for them ❤ I talk to my husband and he's super lovely and supportive but he's just doesn't understand, bless him. He's so lucky, he doesn't worry about anything and he has no phobias! Everything I wish I was! But he does listen to me, even though I think he must think I'm dramatic! I'm trying to distract myself but it's not easy is it! I'm going to try and get a GP appointment to talk about this and see if I can get something to gelp calm me. I can't bear the anxiety anymore.

I go through so many puzzle books trying to distract myself, 😅

does anyone else avoid certain foods? I won’t eat chicken etc just incase it’s not cooked right, cooking a turkey at Christmas gives me anxiety.
I'm so fussy with where I eat and what I eat, and the paranoia for hours after eating something like that is exhausting.

I go through so many puzzle books trying to distract myself, 😅

does anyone else avoid certain foods? I won’t eat chicken etc just incase it’s not cooked right, cooking a turkey at Christmas gives me anxiety.
I'm so fussy with where I eat and what I eat, and the paranoia for hours after eating something like that is exhausting.
🙋‍♀️ me! I've not eaten chicken in years and I won't touch it. My brain simply won't allow it.