Eleanor Lecocq #4 Eat, Shop, Manhunt

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was exactly one year (one year lease). He refused to renew and moved out.
Ohhh...Very interesting. In Canada, once you've continuously lived with a person for a year, you're considered "Living Common-Law" which means they are considered to be in a marriage-like relationship and can then file their incomes taxes together. Do you think Joe timed his break-up at the 11.5month mark so that he won't legally/ financially be responsible for Elle nor her spending habits?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Ohhh...Very interesting. In Canada, once you've continuously lived with a person for a year, you're considered "Living Common-Law" which means they are considered to be in a marriage-like relationship and can then file their incomes taxes together. Do you think Joe timed his break-up at the 11.5month mark so that he won't legally/ financially be responsible for Elle nor her spending habits?
Oh abso-heckin-lutely that's what happened. I'd be willing to bet money on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Long time lurker, Canadian lawyer (from BC) here. This is such a guilty pleasure for me as a young lawyer and a little bit scary because I don’t want to be like Elle.
As much as I love to hate on Elle ( I found her while I was looking for outfit ideas for work) common law is 2 years. I am interested in how Elle managed to get an articling position with mccarthys as it is quite a good firm. That being said, to be fair I think the comments about her not being a lawyer are not warranted because she did get her license and is qualified as a lawyer in B.C., though non practicing. I can also confirm and am a little familiar with investigator positions- it is not the same as in house counsel. So at most she would be a non practising lawyer pursuing a different path. There are many lawyers in America and Canada who stop practicing but still call themselves lawyers ( ie legal recruitment) but to say she is in house counsel is a big stretch as an investigator because you don’t need a law degree to be one in most cases.

Reactions: 16
That being said, to be fair I think the comments about her not being a lawyer are not warranted because she did get her license and is qualified as a lawyer in B.C., though non practicing. I can also confirm and am a little familiar with investigator positions- it is not the same as in house counsel. So at most she would be a non practising lawyer pursuing a different path. There are many lawyers in America and Canada who stop practicing but still call themselves lawyers ( ie legal recruitment) but to say she is in house counsel is a big stretch as an investigator because you don’t need a law degree to be one in most cases.
She had a blurb (now taken down) on her IG page, I believe, which said "....in my everyday life as a lawyer," or something like that. Would you say this is accurate, or a stretch? Genuinely want to know.

Does anyone have the screen cap of this? Please share!

Reactions: 4
IMO it’s a lie and not factually correct because she’s referring to herself as a practising lawyer who is practising law everyday

Reactions: 11
IMO it’s a lie and not factually correct because she’s referring to herself as a practising lawyer who is practising law everyday
Yes and Elle is banking on her audience thinking of a traditional, practicing litigation lawyer whenever she refers to herself as such. She can be as technical all she wants without being incorrect but it’s in the delivery and tone of this message that makes her so deceitful. Plus, she doesn’t take the time to clarify this to her viewers and seems to shut down or flat-out ignore anyone who questions this.

Reactions: 13
it just baffles me how she can be in denial when it’s very clear in house counsel and being an investigator are two completely different titles. In house positions have titles such as (junior) legal counsel, senior legal counsel and general counsel. An investigator is not an in house role though it might have some legal components

Long time lurker, Canadian lawyer (from BC) here. This is such a guilty pleasure for me as a young lawyer and a little bit scary because I don’t want to be like Elle.
As much as I love to hate on Elle ( I found her while I was looking for outfit ideas for work) common law is 2 years. I am interested in how Elle managed to get an articling position with mccarthys as it is quite a good firm. That being said, to be fair I think the comments about her not being a lawyer are not warranted because she did get her license and is qualified as a lawyer in B.C., though non practicing. I can also confirm and am a little familiar with investigator positions- it is not the same as in house counsel. So at most she would be a non practising lawyer pursuing a different path. There are many lawyers in America and Canada who stop practicing but still call themselves lawyers ( ie legal recruitment) but to say she is in house counsel is a big stretch as an investigator because you don’t need a law degree to be one in most cases.
I think you are referring to s.3(1)(b)(i) of BC's Family Law Act which states common-law is 2 years, which I didn't consider b/c I wasn't thinking of division of family property, alimony, custody of offsprings etc.

For tax filing purposes, if Joe and Elle lived continuously for 12 months, they qualify to file a joint income tax return. I suspect that's the reason why Joe only lived with Elle for 11.5 months. Filing a joint tax return is too much of a commitment for Joe 😄

Under s. 238 of the Income Tax Act Part XVII (Interpretation) states that:
" common-law partner, with respect to a taxpayer at any time, means a person who cohabits at that time in a conjugal relationship with the taxpayer and
  • (a) has so cohabited throughout the 12-month period that ends at that time, or
  • (b) would be the parent of a child of whom the taxpayer is a parent, if this Act were read without reference to paragraphs 252(1)(c) and (e) and subparagraph 252(2)(a)(iii),
and, for the purpose of this definition, where at any time the taxpayer and the person cohabit in a conjugal relationship, they are, at any particular time after that time, deemed to be cohabiting in a conjugal relationship unless they were living separate and apart at the particular time for a period of at least 90 days that includes the particular time because of a breakdown of their conjugal relationship; (conjoint de fait)"

Side note: For me, after 1 year of cohabitation, a few companies I've worked at in BC allowed me to add a live-in partner to my benefits after I've lived with them for a year. Maybe Joe didn't want that to happen w/ Elle either.

• Heart
I’m confused... so her “customized”’ engagement diamond ring wasn’t actually from Tiffany??!!! :oops:..

• Haha
Reactions: 4
it just baffles me how she can be in denial when it’s very clear in house counsel and being an investigator are two completely different titles. In house positions have titles such as (junior) legal counsel, senior legal counsel and general counsel. An investigator is not an in house role though it might have some legal components
And she’s so in denial she even claims to have been in-house counsel on her Linked-In! Something finally made her remove “lawyer” from the IG bio, perhaps being unemployed? What’s that, Elle? Oh, sorry, yes, you are an adjunct professor and Seattle business owner. Good luck living on that income 🤣🤣🤣.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I was watching her Ellemas Vlogmas Special 2017 today and in it she talked about her articles and said that she decided that private practice wasn’t for her so she transitioned into the regulatory sphere (securities regulation) in an in-house counsel role and she calls herself a “corporate securities lawyer”.

Reactions: 11
I've never known Elle to flat out lie. She's always got that grain of 'truth' that she can fall back on and that helps her sleep at night. Sometimes the grain is only 1%, but its there.

So she says "....in my everyday life as a lawyer." The 1% is that she is technically licensed as a lawyer and well, this is her everyday life (everyone gets one of those for free) so she's not flat out lying . . .

That said, I find it funny that her video outro still features a cartoon cat prancing through a corner office and a busy courtroom. Oh, Elle.

• Haha
I was watching her Ellemas Vlogmas Special 2017 today and in it she talked about her articles and said that she decided that private practice wasn’t for her so she transitioned into the regulatory sphere (securities regulation) in an in-house counsel role and she calls herself a “corporate securities lawyer”.
That’s like a guy working in accounting or payroll at an investment bank calling themselves an investment banker because it’s technically a finance sorta role in an investment firm. Smelley is NOT a corporate securities lawyer no matter what she says.

Reactions: 10
I've never known Elle to flat out lie. She's always got that grain of 'truth' that she can fall back on and that helps her sleep at night. Sometimes the grain is only 1%, but its there.

So she says "....in my everyday life as a lawyer." The 1% is that she is technically licensed as a lawyer and well, this is her everyday life (everyone gets one of those for free) so she's not flat out lying . . .

That said, I find it funny that her video outro still features a cartoon cat prancing through a corner office and a busy courtroom. Oh, Elle.
I don’t know. To me saying you are in-house counsel is a flat out lie. She also has said she is a “practicing” lawyer and a “visiting professor”. On the latter, I think she probably didn’t know what a visiting professor was, but she knew that wasn’t her title, so yes, she was flat out lying. There have been many other cases where she hasn’t flat out lied but has misled her viewers, as you point out. In any case, I personally don’t care too much about whether or not she’s a lawyer — anyone who watches Elle for career advice is clearly just clicking on the wrong channel. I am more offended by her claims of being a jewelry designer and to have “designed” her scarves when you know she simply assembles jewelry and picks out scarf colors from a catalogue. Not to mention her claim to be a Seattle business owner only weeks after having arrived in Seattle and to source everything from small business owners affected by the pandemic — that, as many have pointed out on this thread, was her lowest point. But anyway, in the end, what really gets to me is her awful sense of aesthetics and smug attitude.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
And just because she is a lawyer by title in Canada doesn’t mean she can take the American bar as does not have any in house counsel experience, which is REQUIRED for most states including Washington.

I used to be annoyed with the fact that she keeps deluding herself into believing she is eligible to take the Washington bar, but you know what? Go ahead and do it, Smelley. I want to see you throw a temper tantrum on video when the ABA tells you that you can’t take it because your foreign degree doesn’t count and you’ve not have any recent experience and never been in house counsel. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
And just because she is a lawyer by title in Canada doesn’t mean she can take the American bar as does not have any in house counsel experience, which is REQUIRED for most states including Washington.

I used to be annoyed with the fact that she keeps deluding herself into believing she is eligible to take the Washington bar, but you know what? Go ahead and do it, Smelley. I want to see you throw a temper tantrum on video when the ABA tells you that you can’t take it because your foreign degree doesn’t count and you’ve not have any recent experience and never been in house counsel. 😂
Well that would be the 99% thats not truth getting in the way. Elle tries to avoid that sort of thing at all costs.

• Haha
Come to think of it, that’s really the only thing that’s truly foreign about Elle: her degree.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

• Haha
Come to think of it, that’s really the only thing that’s truly foreign about Elle: her degree.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
She really tried taking an easy way out. In Canada and the U.S., it's normally four years of undergrad followed by three years of law school (assuming you get in immediately after undergrad - many people work for a bit before applying) to get a JD degree, which allows you to article and prepare for the bar before becoming a licensed and practicing lawyer. Elle went to the UK, which is a three year undergraduate program that also seems to double up as law school there, and came back here and took a one year LLM to "legitimize" her foreign law degree. Her entire education is the length of any normal undergraduate program here.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
She really tried taking an easy way out. In Canada and the U.S., it's normally four years of undergrad followed by three years of law school (assuming you get in immediately after undergrad - many people work for a bit before applying) to get a JD degree, which allows you to article and prepare for the bar before becoming a licensed and practicing lawyer. Elle went to the UK, which is a three year undergraduate program that also seems to double up as law school there, and came back here and took a one year LLM to "legitimize" her foreign law degree. Her entire education is the length of any normal undergraduate program here.
Right she really did. She made it sound like she wanted to get away and a new change of scenery but the fact that she mostly looked at British and Australian schools makes me think she mostly wanted to save time and effort.

Elle is very beautiful (objectively speaking). She'd look better if she lost a bit weight (~10-15 pounds) and toned up.
Is this Elle?

I don’t know. To me saying you are in-house counsel is a flat out lie. She also has said she is a “practicing” lawyer and a “visiting professor”. On the latter, I think she probably didn’t know what a visiting professor was, but she knew that wasn’t her title, so yes, she was flat out lying. There have been many other cases where she hasn’t flat out lied but has misled her viewers, as you point out. In any case, I personally don’t care too much about whether or not she’s a lawyer — anyone who watches Elle for career advice is clearly just clicking on the wrong channel. I am more offended by her claims of being a jewelry designer and to have “designed” her scarves when you know she simply assembles jewelry and picks out scarf colors from a catalogue. Not to mention her claim to be a Seattle business owner only weeks after having arrived in Seattle and to source everything from small business owners affected by the pandemic — that, as many have pointed out on this thread, was her lowest point. But anyway, in the end, what really gets to me is her awful sense of aesthetics and smug attitude.
agreed, she is not a designer and she is not a native french speaker, Rick isn't special someone I could go on..she is a liar

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.