Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
I’ve had eczema since I was a baby. I’ve never had any testing to find my triggers or sensitivities. I was put on steroid cream since I was very young and I still use it to this day. A couple of weeks ago I stopped applying the Betnovate cream and right now I’m not sure if I might be having a mild withdrawal. My hands and arms are burning like I’ve never experienced before. It’s awful. I can’t apply anything without feeling like I’ve shoved my hands in a nettle bush. I recently moved to the south of England and the hard water is absolutely destroying my skin. I feel at a complete loss. I’ve developed patches where I’ve never suffered before. I’ve been looking into allergists in the area to get testing. Does anyone have allergist or dermatologist recommendations for the south / London area?
I’m so sorry to hear about your eczema :(
I have a fab dermatologist but he works in the NHS and requires GP referral, I don’t think he does private work. He’s based in Milton Keynes x

Reactions: 1

Takinginthetea

I've sufferd 10years with psoriasis on my scalp, i did have it all over but gradually gone over time.
T-gel shampoo was only thing that worked for me, not sure if you've tried that, if not I'd reccomend

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
I’m so glad I found this thread even though it’s quite quiet.

I’ve suffered so badly with my eczema for years now. I had it as a child but grew out of it and it came back with a vengeance at about 23 and I’m now 27 and I go through bad flares. I went through topical steroid withdrawal about 2 years ago and wasabsolutely miserable, basically suicidal so started using steroids again.
I still have PTSD from it and use steroid creams to manage it.
Its gotten really bad again recently and I’m terrified like I can’t go through it all again.

What are peoples experiences with light therapy? My GP referred me to a private derm and i need to contact them to get it sorted and get an appointment im just worried that it won’t be covered with my health insurance through work and it’ll be expensive.

has anyone tried a handheld UV light? I saw Phillips sell one.
Any advice would be so appreciated as im so so miserable.
Not tried UV therapy although it was offered to me but the waiting list was so long. If you’re with a derm why don’t you ask about immunosuppressants like ciclosporin? Or methotrexate? They usually work pretty well

sending hugs ♥

• Heart

Gers76

Chatty Member
Hi, all they all prescription or can you buy over the counter? Gutted about the light therapy but do understand x
Hi, none of the tablets are available to buy over counter. I was prescribed them by dermatology and had to have fortnightly checkups as they are pretty strong drugs and do come with side effects

Che Guevara

You can get dovobet ointment but also dovobet gel which you can use on your scalp and body, it worked for me hope this helps.
thank you! Going to try and get in the doctors tomorrow if I can, my scalp is pretty bad right now cos i keep picking! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Simply Me

It makes the dry patches go

The patch on my leg went and has never come back but I get little bits here and there put it on and after a few days the redness goes and it calms down. The gel worked well on my scalp.

Last edited:

Gillybean42

VIP Member
I suffer with eczema, usually just a few patches here and there. But recently my scalp has started to itch... it’s every day and it’s driving me mad, anyone got any suggestions for getting it to stop being itchy?

littlepup

VIP Member
If anyone’s reading because they’ve had trouble with their Children’s skin, we’ve had success with this eczema clothing https://www.happy-skin.com/
It may be coincidence, the end of a cycle, but our girls skin has healed well while using this baby grow

Che Guevara

I suffer from psoriasis, I get the dry patches on my body and I suffer from inverted psoriasis. I’ve been prescribed dovobet from the doctors which works wonders on the inverted psoriasis but because I only use it as and when I get a flare it’s not a cure. My scalp is so scaly too, I’ve tried loads of things on that but nothing clears it up. Would the doctor refer me if I asked for light therapy? Or has it got to be a last resort thing?

Che Guevara

I suffer really badly with psoriasis and like you also have inverse psoriasis. The inverse psoriasis has stopped me from being allowed light treatment due to it being raw skin, I’ve had numerous courses of methotrexate and cyclosporine both strong drugs but really do work but the psoriasis sadly always comes back. I use trimovate for my inverse bits and diprobase on the scales. I use cocois for my scalp it’s the only thing that works for me.
Hi, all they all prescription or can you buy over the counter? Gutted about the light therapy but do understand x

Rosie878

VIP Member
I get it on my eyelids which is horrible. Triggers are colder months/central heating and stress. A teeny tiny bit of hc45 helps when it’s really bad but otherwise I just have to grin and bear it.

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
Does anyone else have psoriasis in their ear canal? Mine has gotten progressively worse over the past few months. It's so itchy, the skin breaks, it weeps constantly and my hearing has reduced because of it. I have it in both ears. It's so painful.
My cousin has this. He says he has to moisturise and then use Vaseline over the top but he feels he is going to go dead soon :( he has it in one ear. Sorry to hear about your struggles…have you seen a dermatologist?

soph30

VIP Member
I like carasnextchapter. Bee the brave kind of bugs me, she eats utter rubbish and gets really aggressive when people suggest she changes her diet to improve her symptoms, saying she wasn’t asking for advice- not a very good example to put out there to those struggling :)

Attachments

Simply Me

I used betnovate for yrs doctor telling me I had eczema,finally got an appointment at hospital to see a dermatologist and they said I had psoriasis and put me on dovobet. The gel is for the scalp but they told me I could use it on my body to. I had a patch on my leg for about 10yrs and it went within a week of using dovobet.

jaymie

VIP Member
I had an eczema flare up a month ago, triggered by some skin care. I found the aveeno deems a daily emollient cream to be very useful, but I have to caveat to say that mine isn’t very serious. I am using it as my daily moisturiser, also applying it on my eye area

Scvee13

Have you tried light therapy? Not sure on the proper name but a girl I know had it and the results were amazing. Have saw reviews of tropic skincare tamanu balm for it too, there's a 30 day money back guarantee with them too. Have you had all the usual lotions etc from the NHS?

I’ve had eczema since I was a baby. I’ve never had any testing to find my triggers or sensitivities. I was put on steroid cream since I was very young and I still use it to this day. A couple of weeks ago I stopped applying the Betnovate cream and right now I’m not sure if I might be having a mild withdrawal. My hands and arms are burning like I’ve never experienced before. It’s awful. I can’t apply anything without feeling like I’ve shoved my hands in a nettle bush. I recently moved to the south of England and the hard water is absolutely destroying my skin. I feel at a complete loss. I’ve developed patches where I’ve never suffered before. I’ve been looking into allergists in the area to get testing. Does anyone have allergist or dermatologist recommendations for the south / London area?

Che Guevara

I used betnovate for yrs doctor telling me I had eczema,finally got an appointment at hospital to see a dermatologist and they said I had psoriasis and put me on dovobet. The gel is for the scalp but they told me I could use it on my body to. I had a patch on my leg for about 10yrs and it went within a week of using dovobet.
It makes the dry patches go away?

Idkwhyimhere

I suffer with severe eczema, it took YEARS to get a referral to a dermatologist but when I did get one she took one look at me and said it wasn’t worth trying light therapy and put me straight on tablets to suppress my immune system (same stuff given to transplant patients) it works amazingly in the summer, still suffer a fair bit in the winter but compared to what it was it’s nothing much.
the side effects are quite risky but if the benefits outweigh the risk like in my case it’s worthwhile.
If you haven’t seen a dermatologist it’s well worthwhile trying to get yourself a referral as I was suffering with constant infections and full body flare ups, I was so miserable and hated life. I genuinely thought there were no options beyond steroid creams and tablets but there is!