Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tommyb

Chatty Member
I have major dry scalp and eczema. Recently had a b12 test and I'm deficient. Since i have been taking b12 my skin problems have a marked improvement. I know this won't be the case for everyone but if you have lots of skin issues like acne, dry skin, dry scalp, cracked lips etc and fatigue it might be worth getting tested!

Reactions: 4

TruffleTrifle

I’ve suffered for years with eczema and this is what’s worked for me. I have food sensitivities but also allergic to perfumes and harsh soaps so it’s been lots of trial and error. I hope some of these help!
  • cutting out dairy and gluten from my diet 90% of the time. This caused flare ups on my arms, chin, nose, buttocks, stomach and back. I use lactose free alternatives to dairy and gluten free alternatives to bread & pasta. If I’m out for dinner and want a pizza I’ll have it but I don’t eat bread or pasta or cakes every day.
  • Ask your doctor for a strong steroid cream that will blitz the problem in a day not in the course of a week. That will clear it up faster and actually reduce the amount of steroids you absorb in the long term. I use Mometazone 1x a week
  • Aveeno all over my body after every time I shower
  • Body shop anti dandruff CONDITIONER on my scalp really sorted out my scalp eczema
  • It sounds gross but athletes foot cream (Canestan) on the really open Itchy bits can help clear up any nasties in the wounds. Not too often but a few years ago my skin on my face was flaking off my face and no moisturiser would help so I used this at my mums suggestion and it sorted it out
  • Showering within an hour of finishing in the gym or running and not letting my pores get clogged
  • Fairy clothes washing liquid above all else
  • No spraying perfume on skin and I use fragrance free hairspray

Reactions: 4

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
Does anyone follow any eczema influencers? Lots of them seem to be posting about quitting topical steroids/withdrawal
I think I follow a few. To be honest I never use topical steroids because of the damaging long term effects. They thin your skin and you can become reliant on them (hence why you get withdrawn when you stop using them)

my skin got pretty bad so I was prescribed ciclosporin (an immunosuppressant) for a few months which didn’t do much. So now my derm has allowed me to start Dupixent in a couple of weeks. It’s a monoclonal antibody injection :)

Reactions: 2

Londoncailín

VIP Member
Does anyone else have psoriasis in their ear canal? Mine has gotten progressively worse over the past few months. It's so itchy, the skin breaks, it weeps constantly and my hearing has reduced because of it. I have it in both ears. It's so painful.

• Sad

lucelike

Just a wee update from me. I got acupuncture today after reading into it and seeing people notice improvements. It wasn’t painful and was given some Chinese tea to drink twice a day for the next 2 weeks before my next acupuncture appointment!
Dr said it could get worse before it gets better - hoping not as the state of me now is already causing me to cancel my plans this weekend, I don’t think I could face it getting worse 😖
Will keep you all updated on if it works though!!

Princesspinky

I suffer with really bad eczema on my hands , I work in a nursing home so I'm always wearing gloves and washing my hands which make the problem worse.
I find a few things trigger it for me , cold weather (right now I'm suffering with this cold snap) stress is another big one that will make me flare up , and someone else mentioned dairy products . I have a lot of allergies and I really do notice if I've overloaded on dairy. I dont drink cows milk anymore and have dairy free yogurts etc but I can't fully give up cheese.
I find aveno good , I take a tube with me everywhere I go . If I don't keep my hands properly moisturised then I get problems.
Always have some hydrocortisone if it's bad. Betnovate had helped me in the past.

Aberdeen Rock

Hello.
So I suffer with all three which infuriates me.

Eczema/dermatitis on my face, hands, boobs, between fingers & ear.

Psoraisis In my scalp.

The trigger can be the cold to stress to eating sensible food (?!!!) to washing up liquid.

There is no cure but what have you lovely lot used that has actually worked!? *promising*

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
A product called Dermol 500 worked wonders for me. Got it from the GP but I think you can buy it yourself too. It’s a lotion and you can use it as a moisturiser and as a cleaning product instead of shower gel. It’s really good at soothing the skin and clearing up the itchy, flaky ness of psoriasis etc.

Reactions: 1
If you want an invasive but effective medicine then Methotrexate is commonly used for skin conditions. BUT it comes with heavy side effects and changes in lifestyle. I would try reducing dairy and red meat as well as dermol 500

J-Dog

My GP prescribed me Betnovate - it’s a steroid ointment for your scalp. Worked within a few days.

SleepyDibillo

I’ve also been looking at the Philips handheld uvb light for a psoriasis flare up if anyone has used it?

I did have light therapy through the nhs a few years back for a really severe flare up over my full body, and it worked wonders. But because of convenience, severity and nhs waiting times for dermatology post covid I’m now thinking of trying the handheld at home device too

MinnieMaus

I’m so glad I found this thread even though it’s quite quiet.

I’ve suffered so badly with my eczema for years now. I had it as a child but grew out of it and it came back with a vengeance at about 23 and I’m now 27 and I go through bad flares. I went through topical steroid withdrawal about 2 years ago and wasabsolutely miserable, basically suicidal so started using steroids again.
I still have PTSD from it and use steroid creams to manage it.
Its gotten really bad again recently and I’m terrified like I can’t go through it all again.

What are peoples experiences with light therapy? My GP referred me to a private derm and i need to contact them to get it sorted and get an appointment im just worried that it won’t be covered with my health insurance through work and it’ll be expensive.

has anyone tried a handheld UV light? I saw Phillips sell one.
Any advice would be so appreciated as im so so miserable.
I’ve recently completed my first ever course of light treatment for psoriasis (so not exactly the same!) but it worked a treat for me, plus the side effect of a nice tan for the summer!

I went 3x a week for 10 weeks and it was a great opportunity to ask the nurses any questions and get prescriptions sorted without running the gauntlet of booking a GP appointment.

hope you’re feeling better soon x

• Heart
I suffered with eczema on my face from around 17-21. I got referred to dermatology countless times, given creams from hydrocortisone to diprobase. Everything you can imagine I’ve probably tried. The only thing that cleared mine was using aveeno moisturiser every night. Literally layering it on. And protopic ointment from the GP during flare ups. It’s steroid free so can be used on your face and for me it was a miracle cure in a tube. I’m now 26 and not a patch of eczema on me apart from the odd flare up on my scalp, which ginger shampoo and conditioner from the body shop sorts right out. Would not wish it on my worst enemy, you have my every sympathy!

Simply Me

I suffer from psoriasis, I get the dry patches on my body and I suffer from inverted psoriasis. I’ve been prescribed dovobet from the doctors which works wonders on the inverted psoriasis but because I only use it as and when I get a flare it’s not a cure. My scalp is so scaly too, I’ve tried loads of things on that but nothing clears it up. Would the doctor refer me if I asked for light therapy? Or has it got to be a last resort thing?
You can get dovobet ointment but also dovobet gel which you can use on your scalp and body, it worked for me hope this helps.

soph30

VIP Member
Does anyone follow any eczema influencers? Lots of them seem to be posting about quitting topical steroids/withdrawal

Justrealising

Chatty Member
I’m so glad I found this thread even though it’s quite quiet.

I’ve suffered so badly with my eczema for years now. I had it as a child but grew out of it and it came back with a vengeance at about 23 and I’m now 27 and I go through bad flares. I went through topical steroid withdrawal about 2 years ago and wasabsolutely miserable, basically suicidal so started using steroids again.
I still have PTSD from it and use steroid creams to manage it.
Its gotten really bad again recently and I’m terrified like I can’t go through it all again.

What are peoples experiences with light therapy? My GP referred me to a private derm and i need to contact them to get it sorted and get an appointment im just worried that it won’t be covered with my health insurance through work and it’ll be expensive.

has anyone tried a handheld UV light? I saw Phillips sell one.
Any advice would be so appreciated as im so so miserable.
My daughter has severe eczema alongside another rare skin condition that covered 90% of her body and had a huge impact on her life. She had light treatment 4 yrs ago and the difference was amazing. Since then the scars have faded really well, she's had a few small flare ups managed by creams and steroids but the light treatment was a life changer. Highly recommend it.

• Heart

Jaggythistle

Anyone have any experience with Lichen Planus? 😩
My husband has. His dentist spotted it and referred him to the dental hospital.
He had grafts taken, and advised to change to sensodyne toothpaste.
His mouth was very painful for a while, but seems to have settled down now.

ETA didn’t realise you could have it on your skin which considering the nature of the thread, you were obviously meaning.
Sorry about that. ❤

• Heart

GiggleBee

VIP Member
Have you tried light therapy? Not sure on the proper name but a girl I know had it and the results were amazing. Have saw reviews of tropic skincare tamanu balm for it too, there's a 30 day money back guarantee with them too. Have you had all the usual lotions etc from the NHS?
Ah light therapy was what my dad had not lazer therapy 😂🤦‍♀️

• Haha

chorizorice

Does anyone else have psoriasis in their ear canal? Mine has gotten progressively worse over the past few months. It's so itchy, the skin breaks, it weeps constantly and my hearing has reduced because of it. I have it in both ears. It's so painful.
yes, I do and I’ve lost 40% of my hearing in my right ear from it :( truly is one of my deepest insecurities and I’m so sorry you have it as well. Please continue get your hearing checked to see if it’s rapidly getting worse ❤

• Heart