Earning extra cash, what’s your side hustle?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was anyone else massively overwhelmed by the sheer amount of questions that Prolific ask when you first join? I was worried that I was about to be cloned!

Reactions: 4
I also sell plants! Similarly to @Purrrrrrr i sell houseplants, seedlings cuttings etc. I sell locally and online, although you now have to have a licence to sell plants online and have plant inspections 🙄

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Was anyone else massively overwhelmed by the sheer amount of questions that Prolific ask when you first join? I was worried that I was about to be cloned!
Yep! I got halfway through and thought I might have made a mistake but carried on anyway lol

I also sell plants! Similarly to @Purrrrrrr i sell houseplants, seedlings cuttings etc. I sell locally and online, although you now have to have a licence to sell plants online and have plant inspections 🙄
Really? Wow didn't know that.

That’s amazing you can make so much especially just selling locally!

Yeap I can relate to your daughter - I can just about keep a cactus alive 😂 I may need to start another thread to get some green-finger tips from you.
lots of light, and neglect. under watering is better than too much, unless its an umbrella plant then it needs to sit in water, I have two trays of baby umbrella plants and around 40 stems sitting in water growing roots and my mother plant is still huge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Does anyone do resin art? I'd love to but not sure how to learn or get started

Reactions: 1
My side hustle was making vinyl stickers and resin art but it’s fallen by the wayside because of my mental health going south. Goal is to get back into it asap and try to expand

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I have a premium Snapchat account, I make approx £600 a month, probably half of that is regular subscribers, the other half is extras. I could make much more but I try to remain anonymous which limits my market.
I’m so intrigued by this. What do you post on a premium Snapchat account? I feel so old hahah.

About 3 months ago, I started making vinyl labels for people - pantries, linen cupboards, school books ... anything really. I sell via Etsy, FB Marketplace and word of mouth, and have an enquiry every other day. It's a lot of fun - in that short time, it's funded my cricut machine and supplies (enough to last a very long time), supplies for my other side projects (below), and paid off my credit card.

With the new school year having just started, I offered a book wrapping service (as in, vinyl covers to keep books protected). The parents would send the books to me, then I'd send them back. Easy peasy. Vinyl adhesive sourced from overseas (can't say where), but not available in NZ and patterns were stunning. That's come to an end now though that school has gone back.

I also have a range of gift cards which are sold at a few local garden and gift stores, and cafes. I hand make them using neat little bits and pieces (e.g., I did a tractor today, made out of corrugated card for the body of the tractor, and record vinyl for the tyres). They're incredibly detailed and a lot of fun to make. I have my details printed on the reverse and have had a few custom orders for other things such as wedding and party invitations leading on from those.

• Heart
Just a question - if I were to sell some crafty bits I made (though I doubt anyone would buy them), do I have to declare the income to the tax man? Even if I actually sold things I’d made it would be definitely less than £100. Not sure how this stuff works :LOL:

Just a question - if I were to sell some crafty bits I made (though I doubt anyone would buy them), do I have to declare the income to the tax man? Even if I actually sold things I’d made it would be definitely less than £100. Not sure how this stuff works :LOL:
I think you would have to declare it.

I don't know how it works in the UK (sorry, not very helpful!), but I would suggest you keep very good records of what you buy to make the items, as well as your sale price, and any fees you paid to the likes of Etsy, etc., until you can get proper advice. That way if it does turn into a money-making hobby you have all the details on hand.

I don't know how it works in the UK (sorry, not very helpful!), but I would suggest you keep very good records of what you buy to make the items, as well as your sale price, and any fees you paid to the likes of Etsy, etc., until you can get proper advice. That way if it does turn into a money-making hobby you have all the details on hand.
Fab thanks - except I already have all the materials as I make things just for myself and my family at the moment... so not sure how it works! Will look into it a bit more!

You can earn up to £1000 tax free from online sales, e.g. Ebay, Amazon. You do not have to report it to HMRC.
Good luck!

Reactions: 2
My other half recently bought a cheap car off Facebook market place for about £395. It needed a few bits done, fortunately he's really handy with cars so was able to do it all himself, got it MOTd and sold it for over £700. I was really surprised how much extra he got for it.

It got me thinking that if you're a crafty, creative person, you could easily buy cheap bits of furniture off FB or similar, upcycle them and make a profit.

I have an idea for those who want to earn a bit of extra cash but don't want to bother with the outlay of getting crafty items, etc.

Tuition! Online! (Or in person if your clients are nearby).

Everyone has something they're good at - be it English/writing, other languages, maths, science, horticulture, baking, sewing ... it could be anything.

A friend has just engaged a tutor for her 9-year-old who she suspects is falling behind in maths. The tutor is in his final year of secondary school and a real bright cookie. As well as being incredibly personable, he makes the tuition a lot of fun (creating games as part the learning process).

You could find clients via Facebook Marketplace, a card on your supermarket noticeboard, local schools ...

And to tempt them in, you could offer a 'pay for 9, receive 10 lessons' offer or something.

Just an idea x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I am just resurrecting this thread. With the cost of lIving crisis, has anyone started any new side hustles?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Does anyone do resin art? I'd love to but not sure how to learn or get started
I started off doing some keyrings, got a resin starter kit from amazon which was the resin, alphabet mould, some glitter, dyes an keyrings, the resin I have is a 50/50 part A an B so I just put the two measuring cups beside each other an poured each into them till it was equal then poured both into one cup an it says to mix slowly till you don't see the swirls (usually around 5 mins) then once done put in my dyes an glitter an poured them into the mould, takes around a day or two to go solid an then you can just twist the hook for the key chain into them, youtube as well has a few videos on it

I also took up some crocheting an found a shop to buy my wind spinners that I make, got my first order for 10 of them

• Heart
Oven cleaning: A bit gross but I just pop some headphones on, cover and mask up, and get lost in a podcast or talk radio while I do it
Ironing: A nice little earner which I do while I watch TV
Dog walking: Easy-as ... I'm walking or cycling everyday anyway

... Average extra income from doing all these things works out to be just over $10k/month (less insurance, cleaning supplies, starch, wear and tear on my iron, petrol [to pick up and drop back ironing], tax).

Oven cleaning: A bit gross but I just pop some headphones on, cover and mask up, and get lost in a podcast or talk radio while I do it
Ironing: A nice little earner which I do while I watch TV
Dog walking: Easy-as ... I'm walking or cycling everyday anyway

... Average extra income from doing all these things works out to be just over $10k/month (less insurance, cleaning supplies, starch, wear and tear on my iron, petrol [to pick up and drop back ironing], tax).
This seems a huge amount! What currency??