Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

coconochanel

VIP Member
I’m quite surprised at the number who are just learning/have learnt auto, I was always very much encouraged to learn manual even if I chose to drive an automatic once I’d passed. Everyone I know who drives automatic has a manual license. No judgement to any of you at all by the way - I don’t blame you at all!! Why not keep it simple! I do think automatics are becoming more popular anyway & I completely understand that!
I learnt by driving manual I think once you get the hang off it its really easy TBH. I remember when I first started having lessons I thought Im never going to learn how to use the gear stick but you do eventually get the hang of it.

Reactions: 1

idk2

VIP Member
I passed my test in september in an automatic. I had many lessons in a manual, and despite everyone telling me not too i switched to automatic, and never looked back!
Learning to drive was the most terrifying thing i have ever done. It has taken until now to not feel nervous doing my usual routes. I only drive to work and short distances and i doubt i will ever drive on the motorway. So glad i did it
Try the motorway honestly!! I was a very anxiously nervous driver so you can imagine my horror at anyone trying to get me on the motorway however when I had my auto car around the 2 month mark, I got lost and ended up on the bloody M6 of all motorways! After the initial panic, it was completely fine and within the year, Ive done more than 10+ motorway journeys with others and myself. Actually my fave type of journeys now as my music is so loud with no judgement of others haha! Start off on the A roads on a Sunday morning and gradually build yourself up! The longer you leave it, the more scary you'll make it x

Greygardener

Chatty Member
I've been having a lesson a week since October - so I've had about 20 lessons. My uncle who is a driving instructor is teaching me and I'm finding it okay. I've never wanted to learn how to drive but understand it will definitely help me when I have children and if I wanted a career change or to move further away from work as I walk there and back currently... At first I absolutely hated it and found it so stressful and tiring but just before the lockdown I really felt I was coming on leaps and bounds and had started doing manoeuvres and driving around the test area roads..

Still haven't done my theory but can pass the majority of the questions and practice tests online (I use a theory practice app also, worth every penny spent on it) so the first thing I'm going to do when you can book them is exactly that.

Fortunate enough to be using this time to save every last spare penny to be able to buy my first car, so I can hopefully start practicing more often!

How many lessons (or hours spent on learning) is the average? I'm hoping I'm a little over half way through my learning now and would like to have passed before October! Also, does anybody think it would get me there quicker if I upped the lessons to twice a week?
If it helps I did one two hour lesson per week from mid September to april, so six months. However, I took 3 goes for my theory 🙈 and passed my practical with only 2 minors. If I had passed my theory first time I'd have done my practical in February, so four months. Around 20 lessons, 40 hours, that was from complete beginner. That's why I say definitely get the theory sorted early on so you can focus completely on practical.

megsmagoo

VIP Member
I learned in a manual, passed theory first time but didn’t pass driving test until 4th attempt.

To this day I’d rather have a root canal filling than take a driving test. I thought it was the most nerve wracking thing in the world! The nerves completely let me down first 3 times😆

Despite all the turmoil, would be lost without my car. Has allowed me the freedom to move to a new area, get a new job and lots more. I’m so glad I didn’t give up after the first few failed tests!

If you’re struggling just persevere, I promise it’s a lot less nerve wrecking when you can drive on your own ! I still get nervous now if someone I don’t know well is in my car as I feel like they’re watching me 😂
Well done for carrying on!

A friend of mine passed on her 6th attempt, I’m hoping for less than that 😁

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
I passed my theory 1st time, but it took me 6 attempts to pass my practical test - nerves just got the better of me and i'd make stupid mistakes.
Even after passing I was a very nervous driver and despite having my licence for about 2.5 years now I have made a handful of journeys outside of my small village, the last of these being over a year ago. The thought of getting behind the wheel these days gives me a full blown panic attack, so I really feel like I wasted so much time and money. I'm hoping that when my partner and I get a new car we can get an automatic as I feel like that would help (as one of the things that makes me most nervous is stalling).
If you don’t get an automatic get a stop start manual. I have one and if you do stall, as soon as your out your foot on the clutch it gets going and your don’t really stop at all. I went through a phase at panicking and stalling at roundabouts and I quickly got over it with this feature. I also have a fear of rolling back and it has an anti roll on it too!

WeezyG

A tip for anyone who is looking at an intensive course. I did one over 6 days (5 days of 4 hours driving and 1 day with the lesson) it was great for getting used to just driving without the break between lessons. By the end I could drive perfectly fine and do my manoeuvres. (I had had a few months of lessons prior to this but hadn’t driven for a year and wanted to get my test done before my theory test expired)

However, the week build up to the test made me more and more nervous. Every small mistake I blew out of proportion in my mind. I failed my intensive course test and had to do it again which I passed the day before my theory test expired. I didn’t take any lessons the weekend before it (I knew I could drive so I wanted to reduce any chance of getting anxious if I made a mistake) I took it at 8:15am on a Monday, so there wasn’t time to do much beforehand except drive to the test centre which meant I wasn’t freaking out about it.

If you really struggle with anxiety (as I do) I wouldn’t recommend doing the test at the end of the intensive course it as it definitely amplified every fear and panic that I had. Do the intensive course but give yourself a week or so before you take the actual test. Trust me!
I learned to drive 10 years ago, failed my test but then moved to london so had no real need to drive, now I'm desperate to pass my test, and have been looking at intensive courses, and I also suffer with anxiety (another reason i put off going back to learning for so long!) so this is really helpful to know :)

megx

I might see if it’s possible to do intensive course after weekly lessons? So if I did all of my lessons and then had an intensive course before my test just to give me that final push

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I started lessons in an automatic but really struggled. My instructor was a pervy bastard and shouted at me, I used to drive crying and get really anxious and it's totally put me off/shot my confidence down. I would like to get back into it eventually I just don't trust myself at all!

idk2

VIP Member
I learnt on manual and have been passed for a year! I bought an automatic car straight away, never looked back! Took ages to pass mainly bc I didn't like my first 3 instructors, they were all very money focused and I could tell straight away. Eventually found one I liked and he was GREAT. Passed within 6 months of lessons and first time! Finding the right instructor for you really is key.

Also, to add, I honestly believe everyone should have a car. It gives so much freedom! I love that I don't have to rely on anyone or pay expensive bloody train tickets anymore!

Cocoflowers

VIP Member
This has helped me by reading this!! I did lessons when i was 18/19 and had a bad experience while doing a practice practical test since then i havent drove since im 30 next year and my provisional just expired last weekmy parents and people around keep saying just do it or i regret it which i do regret it so much the fact my younger brother drives and i dont kicks me in bloody teeth tbh!

Ive been reading for months on intensive courses and i wanted to do it this year and now its just putting me off again 😭 i need bloody do it otherwise i never will!!

Sorry needed a rant about it 😂😂

ponyta

Also, if you can be insured on a family members car it is great practice. I was driving my grandparents car home from work each day and really think it brought on my driving in leaps and bounds. I had put in for my test when I started doing this so had the skills/knowledge to an extent.

Fairypop

VIP Member
I didnt realise automatic cars were such a big thing here that people did lessons just on that, that's surprised me.
I’m quite surprised at the number who are just learning/have learnt auto, I was always very much encouraged to learn manual even if I chose to drive an automatic once I’d passed. Everyone I know who drives automatic has a manual license. No judgement to any of you at all by the way - I don’t blame you at all!! Why not keep it simple! I do think automatics are becoming more popular anyway & I completely understand that!

hrh89

VIP Member
I started lessons in an automatic but really struggled. My instructor was a pervy bastard and shouted at me, I used to drive crying and get really anxious and it's totally put me off/shot my confidence down. I would like to get back into it eventually I just don't trust myself at all!
my instructor put me off too. I was learning manual and I felt like he wasn’t sympathetic to the idea that I was struggling. Everyone learns at different paces and I felt like he rushed me. I was very nervous on the roads and hated it so much. One time i took a little longer pulling off at traffic lights and he was sitting there saying to me “the people behind are getting really annoyed now you need to get going”. Of course saying something like that just made me more stressed and took longer.
in the end I thought fuck this I’m not paying you £30 an hour to be rude and unhelpful.

pinkem

If it helps I did one two hour lesson per week from mid September to april, so six months. However, I took 3 goes for my theory 🙈 and passed my practical with only 2 minors. If I had passed my theory first time I'd have done my practical in February, so four months. Around 20 lessons, 40 hours, that was from complete beginner. That's why I say definitely get the theory sorted early on so you can focus completely on practical.
I've had a couple of two hour lessons when I've had to catch up on missed weeks (christmas and holidays) and don't really like them because I stress myself out when things don't go well! 40 hours seems okay, that would put me just under half way there which I feel I am at this point. I definitely need to just get this theory out of the way ASAP! Did you have any practice outside of your lessons?

Flipping Hell !

Chatty Member
I passed my theory test 1st time, but it took 3 attempts to pass my driving test, the best thing I ever did, and wish I had done it earlier ( I was 56 when I passed )

Rebekahrose11

I passed nearly 4 years ago. I suffered with awful anxiety at the time and really struggled to understand gears etc. Passed my theory 1st time I would recommend the dvla app for that. I persevered with manual and took my test which I failed 1st time, 2nd time i passed. Once out in my car I hated manual and struggled to drive, after about a year I got the hang of it however this year I switched to automatic and wonder why I never done it sooner, I would not go back to a manual now even tho I am fully capable or driving one now so if you are struggling, there's no shame in taking an automatic test. Yes you can't drive manual but do what you are confident with!

nordiccc

As I live in Norway and manual is pretty normal here, I learned how to drive a manual and am now driving both a manual and automatic. As for learning how to drive I would recommend driving A LOT before taking lessons. If my parents and I were going to the store or something, I would drive them. That way, I got a lot of experience and we didn't waste a lot of time just driving and spending gas without really having a place to go. If we had to be somewhere at a specific time, we just drove 10 minutes earlier so that I could relax and take my time while driving there. Try to make it a routine. Drive several times a week. I did really well on my driver's lessons and test, so that's thanks to driving a lot beforehand. I failed my theory test the first time, I found a really good website with a similar test after failing. I did the test about 10-20 times several days in a row, so after a few days I kept getting 0 wrong answers several times in a row - I knew I'd pass on my 2nd attempt and I did. Hope this helped some of you! Good luck!