Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

megx

Just a thread for anyone who is planning on learning to drive or pick up lessons after lockdown or just talk about their experience if it can help others

Are you going to learn manual or automatic?
Have you taken your theory?
If you’ve had some lessons how are you finding them?

Reactions: 1

Peachy9

VIP Member
I passed my test in september in an automatic. I had many lessons in a manual, and despite everyone telling me not too i switched to automatic, and never looked back!
Learning to drive was the most terrifying thing i have ever done. It has taken until now to not feel nervous doing my usual routes. I only drive to work and short distances and i doubt i will ever drive on the motorway. So glad i did it
I thought I'd never drive on a motorway... Then my sat nav failed me and I ended up taking a little jaunt onto the m25 by mistake 😂 realised I was able to do it though, so that really helped my anxieties. Well done on passing! 👍

megsmagoo

VIP Member
I was supposed to have my test last Friday 😭 gutted to have postponed but it’s been rebooked for the 10th July (hopefully).

Also an automatic learner! I did manual and then stopped for 2 years so was at a point where I just wanted it done. I also got a lot of ‘oohh you should be learning manual blah blah’ from people who drive automatics and said they wouldn’t go back to manual 😂🙄

PRAYING I pass in July, we’re desperate to move but need a car to drive to and from work, my partners also learning but he’s doing manual. His test is on the 15th July but failed his first one unfortunately! It’s so expensive too but I guess that will be replaced with the car costs if we do!

Globe

I started manual lessons in January (or early February, can't remember now) and haven't had any problems. My instructor is so nice but she's due to retire in November so I think I'll have to find someone else when lockdown is over 😔 also worried I'll have forgotten everything!

DiscoBiscuit

VIP Member
Don't use any apps for the theory test other than the official one, that way you know it's correct. My instructor told me about a previous pupil who failed his theory twice, and it turned out the app he was using was giving him some incorrect information.

On a practical test the examiner will ask you on a couple of occasions to pull over and secure your vehicle, then move away when you are ready. "When you are ready" is the important part, if you are a nervous driver, use this as an opportunity to take a deep breath, have a quick drink of water, or pop a mint in your mouth. Just tell the examiner "I just need a quick drink" or whatever so they know what you're doing.

Raininvain

VIP Member
I tried learning in my 20s and although I could drive the car o.k I couldn't pass the tests because I kept having panic attacks before it basically. So I've never been a car driver and get around now mainly by bike for localish journeys.
What I would say is get an instructor who if hes a man has a very good reputation and isn't a sleaze. I had 2 who were sleazes one put his hand on my arm and tried to feel it. Another kept looking very deeply into my eyes, asked if I was married and said his wife did'nt understand him!. You can really do without this as a young woman. So either get a woman or a man who has a good local reputation.

MotherofDragons

I passed my theory 1st time, but it took me 6 attempts to pass my practical test - nerves just got the better of me and i'd make stupid mistakes.
Even after passing I was a very nervous driver and despite having my licence for about 2.5 years now I have made a handful of journeys outside of my small village, the last of these being over a year ago. The thought of getting behind the wheel these days gives me a full blown panic attack, so I really feel like I wasted so much time and money. I'm hoping that when my partner and I get a new car we can get an automatic as I feel like that would help (as one of the things that makes me most nervous is stalling).

SpookyLumberjack

VIP Member
Not started any of the above or decided anything (I'm the worst) but I'll be keeping an eye here and will update because I was booking lessons in advance just before lockdown hit. :rolleyes:

megx

Yes that's correct.

I did it the other way round - I learn by cramming, always have done. So I did a 5 day intensive course first. Oh god it was the most knackering thing I've ever done, and I could not have done a test at the end of that. So I did the intensive, then did a 2 hour lesson once a week for 4 weeks before my test. Gave me the time to go away and have a break /read up on things and prepare. By the time my test came round (first thing in the morning) I felt more than prepared tbh.
I did auto because I doubt I'll be in a post apocalyptic situation in which I must drive a manual to escape... And it's still better than not driving at all, which is where I would be otherwise. 🤷‍♀️
Completely relative and personal to each person though - the debate of auto vs manual is one I've learnt to ignore 🤣
I’ll have to have a look and see what there is around me to see if this in an option!!

coconochanel

VIP Member
Did anyone have extra lessons after they had passed to learn about motorway driving? I think now thats part of the lessons but wasn't years ago

megx

Out of interest what’s the range of prices driving lessons cost where you all live?

Peachy9

VIP Member
A lot of instructors do introductory offers - 3 lessons for the price of 2 and the like. Make the most of that and try a few different ones to find someone that really understands your needs and learning style. Don't feel like you have to do them a service!

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
For years I was adamant I was going to learn in an automatic, despite everyone I knew telling me to learn in manual. One day someone I barely knew told me this and it still sticks with me to this day. They told me that if I was in a situation where i needed to get out of somewhere quickly and had to borrow a car, or a world disaster happened (think of any disaster film) and I could only drive an automatic; I’d be screwed. Gears are very very easy once you understand how they work, and it doesn’t take long.
I got told something very similar to this, I never really wanted to learn automatic but this made me adamant to learn manual. Been driving manual for 13 years now, doubt I’ll ever buy any automatic.

A good friend from school, her dad was a driving instructor and she didn’t learn when we all did (17/18) and then went straight in for automatic. She doesn’t drive now at all.

Chewingthefat

I learned to drive with the AA. Would definitely recommend, I had a lovely instructor. I only needed 10 lessons and passed first time with 2 minors. I did practice a lot with a friend in between lessons though which definitely helped.

Mercedes12

VIP Member
Well done for carrying on!

A friend of mine passed on her 6th attempt, I’m hoping for less than that 😁
I vowed to carry on even if it took 10 goes so 4 wasnt too bad 😂

I just knew if I gave up I was wasting all the money I’d spent so far!

megsmagoo

VIP Member
I started manual lessons in January (or early February, can't remember now) and haven't had any problems. My instructor is so nice but she's due to retire in November so I think I'll have to find someone else when lockdown is over 😔 also worried I'll have forgotten everything!
I’m nervous about this too, my instructor as great as she is, is a bit of a drama llama

hrh89

VIP Member
For those who are learning, have you heard anything about lessons restarting for non essential workers? Test is supposed to be the 10th July which is seeming less likely now if I can’t have lessons, would much rather postpone
I was reading a thread on reddit about this and a driving instructor said that for the moment they are still only allowed to teach key workers who’s test is essential. They haven’t had any further info from the DVSA

megsmagoo

VIP Member
I started lessons in an automatic but really struggled. My instructor was a pervy bastard and shouted at me, I used to drive crying and get really anxious and it's totally put me off/shot my confidence down. I would like to get back into it eventually I just don't trust myself at all!
I had a similar experience, had two male instructors before I found my current one and she’s amazing. Personally I found it more difficult taking instructions from a man 💁🏻‍♀️

Ask for some recommendations from friends/family and google Facebook pages, you’ll find someone you’re comfortable with, it’s trial and error 😊