Driving - Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I always found the thought of driving to places was worse than the actual driving. I’m usually fine once in the car. Thinking about it beforehand though turns me into an overthinking mess.

I passed my test in 1998 and didn’t drive on a motorway till 2019! Mainly this was because I hadn’t needed to and my ex had done all the long drives. So I was bricking it the first few times but I’m fine (mostly) now. Long drives stress me as I find concentrating for a long time hard - I’m autistic, and think i probably have adhd too, so long drives really take it out of me.

Having sat nav definitely helps - even if I take a wrong turn it will guide me to where I need to be - apart from the one time it told me to down a bridleway! I check out parking on Google street view as parking is one of my big stressors.

part of my worries before was because of having crap cars and worrying about breaking down, which happened a few times. Now I’ve got a decent car it’s less of a worry.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I completely agree the thinking about it can be worse. The main thing for me is the parking situation - but even then I now tell myself there's always a space somewhere, you just might have a slightly longer walk at the end of it (I went to a family party recently at one end of a long road - all the nearest parking spots involved a parallel park - which I can't do - so I just kept driving down the road til I found an 'end' space - which in reality just meant I had a walk that was a couple of mins longer, but saved myself a lot of stress in the process!).

I find motorway driving easier now because you don't have all the hazards you find on local roads, people reversing out without looking, cyclists, pedestrians, people on those stupid electric scooters etc. I didn't drive on a motorway for 3 years after I passed my test, mainly because I had a crap car that could barely get up to 60. However once I did it once (in a better, more reliable car) my confidence grew massively.

Reactions: 7
As soon as I’m on faster streets (70/80km/h) with only one lane each way and no divider between (there’s a lot where I live) I get so stressed about accidentally driving onto the opposite lane and hitting a car 🙈 it’s so stupid but makes me so stressed controlling the car properly, especially on curves - basically as long as faster driving is required it becomes stressful. My brain goes into this anxious mode painting crazy accidents scenarios 😣 Any tips?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
As soon as I’m on faster streets (70/80km/h) with only one lane each way and no divider between (there’s a lot where I live) I get so stressed about accidentally driving onto the opposite lane and hitting a car 🙈 it’s so stupid but makes me so stressed controlling the car properly, especially on curves - basically as long as faster driving is required it becomes stressful. My brain goes into this anxious mode painting crazy accidents scenarios 😣 Any tips?
Me too! I think someone is going to hit me head on! Such bad anxiety of those type of roads. I'm so sorry I don't have any advice! I'm in the same boat!

I have massive anxiety around parking though, that's the worst for me! I hate that people are watching me and I feel in a panic and rush to do the manoeuvre. And I cant think straight. It's a horrible feeling. I wish I could stop this anxiety but I just don't like driving at all. Iv just downsized my car (I had a volvo xc60) as I couldnt park it at all and ended up hitting another car in a car park which destroyed my confidence. I definitely feel more confident in a small car.

Me too! I think someone is going to hit me head on! Such bad anxiety of those type of roads. I'm so sorry I don't have any advice! I'm in the same boat!

I have massive anxiety around parking though, that's the worst for me! I hate that people are watching me and I feel in a panic and rush to do the manoeuvre. And I cant think straight. It's a horrible feeling. I wish I could stop this anxiety but I just don't like driving at all. Iv just downsized my car (I had a volvo xc60) as I couldnt park it at all and ended up hitting another car in a car park which destroyed my confidence. I definitely feel more confident in a small car.
It’s parking for me too. Unless it’s a massive car park where I know I’ll be guaranteed a space where I don’t have to park in between 2 cars I get myself so uptight. I have a tiny car but I may as well be parking an HGV 😂 I’ve driven more than I usually would this week and I do feel better for it. Driving just takes so much out of me mentally.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Weirdly parking isn't an issue for me, I'll happily squeeze into a space.
Driving on fast roads is though, I also have the same fear of someone hitting me head on, i really struggle above 50mph.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I was in a small car park today and the only space left was between a car and a disabled parking space which was empty. I went to reverse in and the driver of the car appears as I’m parking and just stands and stares at me. I was at the side of her passenger door so she could have jumped in her car and waited for me to park up but no she stood and watched me reverse. This was my idea of hell, I just wouldn’t do that to anyone. I just parked up to let her piss off before I straightened the car properly but as she was reversing out of her space she just kept staring at me. I wasn’t going to hit her car, I was doing just fine but her staring like that made me feel so nervous.

• Heart
I was in a small car park today and the only space left was between a car and a disabled parking space which was empty. I went to reverse in and the driver of the car appears as I’m parking and just stands and stares at me. I was at the side of her passenger door so she could have jumped in her car and waited for me to park up but no she stood and watched me reverse. This was my idea of hell, I just wouldn’t do that to anyone. I just parked up to let her piss off before I straightened the car properly but as she was reversing out of her space she just kept staring at me. I wasn’t going to hit her car, I was doing just fine but her staring like that made me feel so nervous.
I'd hate that too. It would make me so panicky. So I really feel your pain.
I was driving today (in my new car) and my partner was in the passenger. I was driving down a busy road with cars parked on one side, anyway I held back to let them pass and my partner said 'just go don't let them go!go!' So I drove on and clipped the side of the kerb and he started moaning at me for doing it. I'm still getting used to the car, get nervous with passengers and he's moaning at me and making me feel like tit. Its proper knocked my confidence. I wouldn't have even gone had he not said go! So now iv scuffed the side

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
I’ve been driving 24 years and still refuse to drive on motorways or drive out of the county I live in. I’ve tried it a couple of times and get so flustered, sweaty and panicky that it’s just not worth it. I’m quite happy to let my husband do the long distances 😂
I also hate driving with any of my work colleagues in the car so worm out of it as much as possible.
We only have street parking at home so I’ve had to learn to reverse park but when I have a wobble I park all the way down the road 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm still terrible at reverse parallel parking. I was in a fluster a few months ago, tried reverse parking into one space, cocked it up, gave up. Tried reversing into a space further up (that you could have fit a bus in) and messed that up too. Gave up in the end. I need to practise more but it stresses me out.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve been driving 24 years and still refuse to drive on motorways or drive out of the county I live in. I’ve tried it a couple of times and get so flustered, sweaty and panicky that it’s just not worth it. I’m quite happy to let my husband do the long distances 😂
I also hate driving with any of my work colleagues in the car so worm out of it as much as possible.
We only have street parking at home so I’ve had to learn to reverse park but when I have a wobble I park all the way down the road 😂
This is my relationship too. Husband always does long distance. Tbh I wish I could do motorway but I honestly feel I will never be able to do it.

Reactions: 1