Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do dislike how dismissive they are of other women sometimes. This time PWB but usually older women, like recently JK Rowling for instance. Ok if you disagree with her but to act like she doesn’t have a right to express her views was really patronising.

Reactions: 4
Sorry I realise this was a few days ago now but the fact that she can't even spell 'privileged' is just *chef's kiss*

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 10.54.20.png

I've really enjoyed catching up on the discussion from the last few days, there's some really interesting insights - Pandora could learn a lot from reading it.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I appreciate they are donating their merch proceeds, but like somebody else said, it would be great if they could help someone put their foot in the door.

The concept of peerage is pretty new to me and it’s pretty interesting. I didn’t realise having just one middle name made me so obviously normal lol. I wonder how her and her husband met, and at what point they bonded over having peerage. Or maybe it was just a given from the start.

I don’t know how these sites are maintained but there are some databases about the family history, that even give the family homes. I’m ashamed to say I’m procrastinating doing anything better/productive and have taken some time to look at them. Seems her grandad, the baron Buxton, lived in at least in his later years in a very fancy Georgian house with tennis court sold on savills for £1.85m. Granted it’s a large family so I’m not suggesting pandora saw much of that but still, must have been nice visiting. I’ve often found posh families are quite close too, and larger because they can afford multiple children. Must be fun, and I think a lot of people forget the power that can bring, and also lots of social opportunities, even if just as one family. It’s even possible to find the address I take was Pandora’s childhood home, or at least the residence where she had her wedding. It’s nice but not remarkably fancy, not as nice as even fleur de force’s house lol (swoon).

Still, I wonder if even Dolly feels eclipsed by the privilege of Pandora.

Reactions: 2
I haven’t heard it, but I agree, it sounds very hypocritical. Are they on the defensive?

I agree that anyone can write something brilliant (if they’re talented) but it’s getting it into the hands of the right people that often is a challenge. Also taking the time out to write it, as PWB said, is an important part of the privilege puzzle too.

If anyone follows Daisy May Cooper on Instagram, a genuinely working class woman who wrote This Country while on benefits, smattered amongst her hilarious Instagram posts are live chats she does to help people from “average” backgrounds write scripts, get into acting, get their work into the hands of people in power in TV. Why does she do it? Because it’s not easy to do all that stuff if you don’t know the right people (or know someone who knows someone etc).

Look also at Jessie Burton gifting three year-long memberships to London Library to help aspiring writers. It’s those foots in the door, be it access to the right stuff or the right people, that D&P seem to be overlooking a bit.
Daisy May Cooper is great. It took me a while to get into ‘This Country’ but I ended up loving it. I notice that she is not featured on many of the backslapping woke white woman podcasts. The only mainstream one I’ve heard her in is Fearne Cotton’s Happy Place. After finding out about her background I sought interviews with her out and find it interested that she doesn’t feature on many. Maybe it’s her choice but I do think class is an issue. On a side note, her boob challenge was very funny.

Reactions: 7
Sorry I actually got my names wrong, it’s her uncle who lived in that fancy house. Still kinda gives you an idea of their level of social status if immediate family members are living in these crazy homes. I think her grandad lived in a large country home in a more cottage style that’s now holiday accommodation.

Re attitudes towards JK Rowling because I probably share their opinion I didn’t register what they have said, but this strikes me as an example where they consider themselves to Be mouthpieces for a generation because their social/political views align with younger progressive voices. Kinda fair.

Daisy May Cooper is great. It took me a while to get into ‘This Country’ but I ended up loving it. I notice that she is not featured on many of the backslapping woke white woman podcasts. The only mainstream one I’ve heard her in is Fearne Cotton’s Happy Place. After finding out about her background I sought interviews with her out and find it interested that she doesn’t feature on many. Maybe it’s her choice but I do think class is an issue. On a side note, her boob challenge was very funny.
I bloody love This Country. If you google it there’s a hilarious short interview on YouTube with Romesh Ranganathan speaking to Daisy and Charlie Cooper. Daisy tells a 10/10 story about the time you auditioned as a dancer

Reactions: 3
I bloody love This Country. If you google it there’s a hilarious short interview on YouTube with Romesh Ranganathan speaking to Daisy and Charlie Cooper. Daisy tells a 10/10 story about the time you auditioned as a dancer
Thanks, Im going to look that up now 😁 could do with a larf

Oh my god, that really was funny. My face hurts. Now need to look up ghetto romance.

Last edited:
I do dislike how dismissive they are of other women sometimes. This time PWB but usually older women, like recently JK Rowling for instance. Ok if you disagree with her but to act like she doesn’t have a right to express her views was really patronising.
Re attitudes towards JK Rowling because I probably share their opinion I didn’t register what they have said, but this strikes me as an example where they consider themselves to Be mouthpieces for a generation because their social/political views align with younger progressive voices. Kinda fair.
I also think with JK Rowling it's important to consider that she's in an even more privileged position than them, so it's punching up not down (I also don't know what they've said though, just going off the post that said they have been dismissive of her).

Reactions: 1
I have recently discovered this thread and have enjoyed reading all of the intelligent discussion, especially about class and privilege.

I am a HL listener and, as someone of a similar age, can relate to certain aspects of Dolly and Pandora’s lives. However, there is no doubt that they live a charmed life. I find the amount of book and tv recommendations they are able to give on a weekly basis astonishing, and certainly if they had ordinary full time jobs they simply wouldn’t have time to indulge to that extent.

One thing that sticks in my memory is the episode they did where they completely slated Mrs Hinch in quite an unpleasant and sneering manner. I appreciate Mrs Hinch is quite a marmite figure, but I found their observations on her to be incredibly snobby and that showed their real prejudice. I honestly don’t believe either of them knows how lucky they are.

Reactions: 7
To be fair to Pandora, I think she does mentor a young woman so good on her for doing that. Both of them do some socially conscious stuff. But as has been remarked previously this does not cancel out their obfuscating of their own privilege which has plenty of damaging effects.

The echo chamber of positive reviews is such a weird concept to me... in any profession your performance is going to be reviewed and if there are things that missed the mark or could have been better executed then you should welcome that feedback! You can’t improve if you refuse to hear it.

I draw the line at being unkind and I do think it was a dick move for someone on Twitter to send Pandora the piece criticising her and her book, but I don’t think censoring reviews other than glowing recommendations is healthy or helpful.
Yeh there literally is not one job that doesn’t face criticism/Performance review, be it supermarket worker or author. These people cannot deal with real life

Yeh there literally is not one job that doesn’t face criticism/Performance review, be it supermarket worker or author. These people cannot deal with real life
This!

I worked in a supermarket for about 6 years while also studying and the things you learn. Would do them good to have that experience 😂

I appreciate they are donating their merch proceeds, but like somebody else said, it would be great if they could help someone put their foot in the door.

The concept of peerage is pretty new to me and it’s pretty interesting. I didn’t realise having just one middle name made me so obviously normal lol. I wonder how her and her husband met, and at what point they bonded over having peerage. Or maybe it was just a given from the start.

I don’t know how these sites are maintained but there are some databases about the family history, that even give the family homes. I’m ashamed to say I’m procrastinating doing anything better/productive and have taken some time to look at them. Seems her grandad, the baron Buxton, lived in at least in his later years in a very fancy Georgian house with tennis court sold on savills for £1.85m. Granted it’s a large family so I’m not suggesting pandora saw much of that but still, must have been nice visiting. I’ve often found posh families are quite close too, and larger because they can afford multiple children. Must be fun, and I think a lot of people forget the power that can bring, and also lots of social opportunities, even if just as one family. It’s even possible to find the address I take was Pandora’s childhood home, or at least the residence where she had her wedding. It’s nice but not remarkably fancy, not as nice as even fleur de force’s house lol (swoon).

Still, I wonder if even Dolly feels eclipsed by the privilege of Pandora.
Omg - show!!

I have recently discovered this thread and have enjoyed reading all of the intelligent discussion, especially about class and privilege.

I am a HL listener and, as someone of a similar age, can relate to certain aspects of Dolly and Pandora’s lives. However, there is no doubt that they live a charmed life. I find the amount of book and tv recommendations they are able to give on a weekly basis astonishing, and certainly if they had ordinary full time jobs they simply wouldn’t have time to indulge to that extent.

One thing that sticks in my memory is the episode they did where they completely slated Mrs Hinch in quite an unpleasant and sneering manner. I appreciate Mrs Hinch is quite a marmite figure, but I found their observations on her to be incredibly snobby and that showed their real prejudice. I honestly don’t believe either of them knows how lucky they are.
The mrs Hinch threads on here are brutal, really nasty and personal...and fast moving, too. I see how she can be problematic but mostly she is just a normal person who is neurotic about cleaning, and got lucky with it, and is trying to enjoy her life with the money she has gained from it - at least from my perspective.

Omg - show!!
If you google her peerage you may be able to find that info, pretty sure I can tell post it :)

There's more interesting discussion on twitter about that Guardian article (and Pandora and her agent's subsequent tantrums) between Eliza Clark (a young author who has previously tweeted "a good thing about me is that you can enjoy my book without finding out that i went to oxbridge and my parents are both famous journalists like 6 months later and feeling somewhat betrayed"), the writer of the Guardian piece, and some others. Sorry for so many screenshots but thought it was interesting and relevant.

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 14.40.22.png
Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 14.42.25.png

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 14.44.34.png
Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 14.45.30.png

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 14.47.30.png
Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 14.48.05.png

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 15.06.18.png
Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 15.07.24.png

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 15.08.59.png

Can't believe the publishing agent's stupid "kill piece" tweet calling her spiteful and nasty hasn't been deleted tbh, she should be even more embarrassed than Pandora about throwing a tantrum - it's not even her work!

Anyway, I will be buying Eliza Clark's book, and using Pippy d'Fuckington as a pseudonym from now on.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
That’s wonderful thread, thanks for compiling! I’ve been following James for a while now too, he’s pretty funny. Pandora is that posh person at uni who is only friends with posh people but disagrees with tories yet can’t quite being herself to vote labour so votes Lib Dem lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Very interesting exchange.

The clambering to be considered working class has always fascinated me. There’s a certain cohort of media girl gangers who strain at this a lot.

But also the weird insistence I saw a lot of for a while that working class meant poor. I come from good strong working class stock and social mobility means I had a middle class upbringing (on the slide) - my family ate well, went on annual holidays, dressed sharply. Money was watched - things were not *discarded flippantly, things were mended, food was cooked from scratch and stocks were made for other meals etc ..... but not poor. (Social housing. Meals out almost never but they prioritised other things).

*this is how it was in the 50s and 60s etc it’s not a hot take on what it is to be poor now and not cook from scratch/ disposable fashion etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.