Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My workplace is going through a major restructure in order to cut costs. I currently work in a team of three - my manager, me and someone else who has a completely different role to me.
Today we found out that my colleague is being made redundant at the end of March and apparently I'm 'absorbing her role'. We've been severely understaffed for years and are stretched beyond capacity 90% of the time so doing two full time jobs is impossible. Raised this with senior management who suggested I 'get creative with my time' wtf?!
Sounds like they just gave you the kick needed to look for something else. I'll never get how management not only reduces employees, but somehow at the same time also fails to see that the company was understaffed to begin with and they also find more work that needs doing along the way.
I'd try to get out - freshen up your CV, consider which companies sounds good etc....

Reactions: 1
Sounds like they just gave you the kick needed to look for something else. I'll never get how management not only reduces employees, but somehow at the same time also fails to see that the company was understaffed to begin with and they also find more work that needs doing along the way.
I'd try to get out - freshen up your CV, consider which companies sounds good etc....
It's the easiest way to cut costs - they don't give a duck that we're all humans, not robots - we're hUmAn ReSoUrCeS after all :sick:
And a year later they're all like "Why are we having retention issues, why do people quit so often?" Insert Skinner "is it me who is wrong" meme here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I’m on the verge of leaving without a plan B.

Today, I was asked at 5pm to do something that would take hours and was needed today. Around 9pm, I pinged someone to ask their help on something, and they tell me ‘we don’t need any of this, not necessary’.

I did 5 hours of overtime for no reason at all!

Not to mention, I’m working with huge gossips and drama queens. One person who spends all their time socializing is now shifting their burden on other people.

I hate the job with a passion and don’t like the team either. If we add this unnecessary overtime to the mix, it’s hell.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12

Today, I was asked at 5pm to do something that would take hours and was needed today. Around 9pm, I pinged someone to ask their help on something, and they tell me ‘we don’t need any of this, not necessary’.

Not to mention, I’m working with huge gossips and drama queens. One person who spends all their time socializing is now shifting their burden on other people.

I hate the job with a passion and don’t like the team either. If we add this unnecessary overtime to the mix, it’s hell.
Maybe find a temporary job for now which will tide you over while you think of plan B

That's exactly what I've done and I can't even apply for anything yet because of my long notice period. I'll keep you posted but I'm feeling very optimistic!

• Heart
Things aren't good in my place - there's been two rounds of layoffs in the past three months which has been so stressful. They were offering an attractive voluntary redundancy package to try and make things easier and a dozen of us have decided to take it. Scary and sad, but exciting too, as I have a business idea that I'm going to have a crack at. I'm in a position to work at it for six months or so without having to get another job so I really want to try and make it work.

I've never claimed any sort of benefits before but I'm wondering if I should or if there's something that I should do, as I'm concerned about gaps in my National Insurance contributions. I don't know if I'd be eligible for anything as I don't want to look for a job while I'm focusing on my own business. Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing? I am just like my name, clueless 😅

Reactions: 2
@jojida I'm really sorry you're struggling. Let me try to ask you this: have you taken the new role with the bigger scope simply for the better career prospects, or because you genuinely enjoy this work? Can you see yourself working in the role after you have taken the exams or would you rather go back to your old role?

It sounds like your employer isn't all bad in saying that they would place you in a different role if wanted, but if already overstaffed for that, that might not work out, plus you mention that you aren't quite on board with their style and lack of maternity pay and other benefits.
Would your new role work better for you in a different setting? And would there be another employer that would cover the costs of your qualifications that would bring you better employment benefits and a place you'd be happier in?

It's a lot to deal with, especially if you're also supporting your partner at the moment.
I think I took the role with the scope of better job opportunities, but I've found myself really not enjoying it. What I need to really determine though is the why - do I not enjoy it because I actually don't, or do I not enjoy it because I'm not good at it yet? Which is what leads me to not really having answers to the rest of your questions sadly :( I know that personally I feel embarrassed when I'm not instantly good at things and therefore then tend to shy away from those tasks, but I had a long discussion with my partner who reaffirmed this and reminded me that I'm still quite early on in my journey of this new role.

@jojida, it sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now. Do you think there is a compromise to be made at your appraisal? Maybe explore whether you could be allowed to do some of your degree in office hours? It seems that you took this job opportunity for a reason and even if the new role is not what you expected, the scope for professional development is bigger than your last role whether you choose to stay with your current employer or not.

The lack of maternity pay would be a concern in the long run and worth considering how your longer term work and family priorities could play out if you stayed with this employer. However you might find easier to switch jobs once you’ve completed your new qualification anyway.
The idea of doing the new degree in office hours is off the table, as even for the ones who get their qualification funded, it's always been looked down on in that respect in terms of doing work in office hours but I think it would be worth mentioning it in my appraisal, even if just to get the rebuttal to confirm it. I'm quite a 'don't ask, don't get' person so I'm not afraid to be turned down for things.

The scope for professional development is definitely so much greater than my old role as it was a completely 'ceilinged' role as I'd call it with no room to go anywhere else. I think that I'm going to look at my appraisal like a cross roads as someone else mentioned, where I can either look for new jobs after that or hopefully have a better perspective on how my company can support me and if they think this is right for me or not.

Thank you both (and anyone else I've missed) for taking the time to listen <3

• Heart
Well I never thought I'd be posting here I can't lie 😂
I'm 24, work in the construction industry as a mechanical engineer and been in the industry for 7 years now!
I left my previous company in January 23 as the new management were making changes that didn't align with me, and I felt they were extremely unpaying us (which I now know they were) so I made the decision to leave. At the time, it was the best thing I did, and my new role was brill - flexibility, so chill about my social media and personal business that I do on the side, but a few months after starting I was having doubts.
Stuck it out then I was fine, then I had another wobble before Christmas and I feel like I'm still having a wobble - they're now policing when and what I can post on my personal social media pages, and can't being super strict with me about working from home (when the preach how 'flexible' they are as a company) even on days like when my tyre is flat when I get to my car - apparently I should have planned a day off for that 😑
I'm thinking because I'm so young still that I should go for a career change, but it's taking a pay cut that is stressing me out and not knowing what to do as I really am not enjoying my role here anymore - does anyone suggest anything or anyone to talk to?
I've looked at tech and social media roles, but the starting salaries are nearly 10k less than what I earn now!

I'm 24, work in the construction industry as a mechanical engineer and been in the industry for 7 years now!
I left my previous company in January 23 as the new management were making changes that didn't align with me, and I felt they were extremely unpaying us (which I now know they were) so I made the decision to leave. At the time, it was the best thing I did, and my new role was brill - flexibility, so chill about my social media and personal business that I do on the side, but a few months after starting I was having doubts.
Stuck it out then I was fine, then I had another wobble before Christmas and I feel like I'm still having a wobble - they're now policing when and what I can post on my personal social media pages, and can't being super strict with me about working from home (when the preach how 'flexible' they are as a company) even on days like when my tyre is flat when I get to my car - apparently I should have planned a day off for that 😑
I'm thinking because I'm so young still that I should go for a career change, but it's taking a pay cut that is stressing me out and not knowing what to do as I really am not enjoying my role here anymore - does anyone suggest anything or anyone to talk to?
I've looked at tech and social media roles, but the starting salaries are nearly 10k less than what I earn now!
How do they know what you post - do they have access to your social media? Do you have your managers / coworkers following you? If so, block them everywhere. I assume you're in the UK - data privacy is a thing, and if you're not disparaging the company, fishing in their client pool or having content that is... let's say more of an adult nature while still having the company name in your profile, I would tell them where to stick it.

Does you company have a social media policy? If not, have a look at these:

I'd also ask for clarification, in writing, about the home office policy with your manager. Check that against your contract. If they're messing you about, that's the only thing you can do, to make sure you're on solid ground and argue from that position.

Is there any indication why they've suddenly started to come down hard on you?

• Heart
Do you have a social media business (sorry, slow brain today...)? I think there might be policies about additional jobs and employers do have a duty of care to ensure that you get rest and all that, but I don't think it is legal to track when you post? How do they know this? Or is this a complaint about being on the phone while at work, which would be a different thing? Even then, posts can be scheduled....

• Heart
Is it worth looking at other jobs within your current industry? As in, the same job but for a different company? If you're not enjoying the role full stop then maybe a career change is the best, but if it's because of the company then it's worth applying for different roles before making a drastic decision.

Also, whilst a 10k pay cut would obviously be anything but ideal, it can work out in the long run especially in tech roles. Short term pain, long term gain etc. I mean I would find it hard myself, despite giving that advice, but if you can afford it financially it could be worth considering.

ALSO 😂 if you're interested in social media and already do it on the side, have you considered turning it into a full time thing? There's a lot of money in it right now and it may be that you can quit your job and focus on this for a while whilst still having your career and 7 years experience to fall back on?

• Heart
Thank you for your responses <3 To sum up all your comments ...

As I am in construction, I share my experiences / opinions / opportunities for apprentices and young females online through Insta, TT, and LinkedIn and have done so before I started the company - they were well aware of what I did / do, and I did give them all my usernames in case they wanted to track what I was doing! It was no problem until recently :( I do also have a small graphic design business too that they know about and apparently this is now a huge issue and I cannot post between the hours of 8 and 5 - I work 7:30-4 most days so it's a bit of a kick in the teeth.
They have only recently stated they're going to be sharing a social media policy, and I do think when this is shared I will leave 😂
I will also add, I used to schedule all my content to go live through the day so I wasn't actively on my phone, but not allowed to do that anymore either which is great ... not.

As for taking a pay cut, I'm really not in a position to take that much of a cut which is my issue - got bills, helping my parents and partner out, we recently got a pup a new car, saving for a house, you know the deal :/

I just didn't know if anyone had any people / places to recommend on looking for these types of roles at all? I was recommended Otta which has so many jobs so thats a start I guess x

• Sad
Thank you for your responses <3 To sum up all your comments ...

As I am in construction, I share my experiences / opinions / opportunities for apprentices and young females online through Insta, TT, and LinkedIn and have done so before I started the company - they were well aware of what I did / do, and I did give them all my usernames in case they wanted to track what I was doing! It was no problem until recently :( I do also have a small graphic design business too that they know about and apparently this is now a huge issue and I cannot post between the hours of 8 and 5 - I work 7:30-4 most days so it's a bit of a kick in the teeth.
They have only recently stated they're going to be sharing a social media policy, and I do think when this is shared I will leave 😂
I will also add, I used to schedule all my content to go live through the day so I wasn't actively on my phone, but not allowed to do that anymore either which is great ... not.
On the BiB:
There is a fine lined to be walked in sharing opinions about your work online, even if you don't name your company, it will be there by association. On LinkedIn people can see who you work for and may assume, correctly or not, that what you post happened in your company, presents the company's views, etc.
I'm not sure why you gave them your usernames, did they ask you to? Sounds fishy, tbh, as long as you're not posting as a representative of the company but as a private person there is something liek freedom of speech. But keep the first bit in mind, all companies I ever worked for had SM policies saying that if I post stuff that related to the company and it is identifiable for who I work I can get fired for it....

The last BiB: I don't think they can make/prevent you from that.

On the BiB:
There is a fine lined to be walked in sharing opinions about your work online, even if you don't name your company, it will be there by association. On LinkedIn people can see who you work for and may assume, correctly or not, that what you post happened in your company, presents the company's views, etc.
I'm not sure why you gave them your usernames, did they ask you to? Sounds fishy, tbh, as long as you're not posting as a representative of the company but as a private person there is something liek freedom of speech. But keep the first bit in mind, all companies I ever worked for had SM policies saying that if I post stuff that related to the company and it is identifiable for who I work I can get fired for it....

The last BiB: I don't think they can make/prevent you from that.
Okay wait let me clear that up - I'm not posting about my company specifically, more about how to get into construction / myths about women in construction vs men/ all the jazz, I never mention how or what my company does, nor do I share anything do to with it !!
I gave them my usernames as they said they would want to see what I write about and what I do as it's something new to them so I was on board in the beginning, but now not so much lol xx

Some jobs are very big on conflict of interest/breach of contract, so even though you're not directly posting about your company it seems that they aren't too happy about whatever you're posting which is a shame because you were honest and declared it. Seems like a typical example of companies being 100% open and flexible at first, but after a while the cracks start to show and you realise they really aren't that nice

Reactions: 4
Some jobs are very big on conflict of interest/breach of contract, so even though you're not directly posting about your company it seems that they aren't too happy about whatever you're posting which is a shame because you were honest and declared it. Seems like a typical example of companies being 100% open and flexible at first, but after a while the cracks start to show and you realise they really aren't that nice
Exactly this, unfortunately. Even if you don’t post about your work or employer directly, sounds like they are in fact not onboard with it, even if you were the one being open and all that….guilty by association or something like that…

Exactly this, unfortunately. Even if you don’t post about your work or employer directly, sounds like they are in fact not onboard with it, even if you were the one being open and all that….guilty by association or something like that…
I am being pushed away a bit I feel can't really do right for doing wrong at the moment so just keeping my head down - I've had to decline some collabs too as work aren't happy with me sharing how to get into construction anymore ... and I'm not even allowed to post anything privately 'in case a client sees' which is bull as my private social media accounts are locked 😄

• Wow
  • Sad
I am being pushed away a bit I feel can't really do right for doing wrong at the moment so just keeping my head down - I've had to decline some collabs too as work aren't happy with me sharing how to get into construction anymore ... and I'm not even allowed to post anything privately 'in case a client sees' which is bull as my private social media accounts are locked 😄
No no no duck that bullshit. They cannot tell you IF you're allowed to post!

They have some degree of infuence when it comes to what you post PUBLICLY about the company, but that's it.

They have no right to completely curbe your social media actions. You are a private citizen after work, and there is an expectation of privacy for your free time. They do not own you!

I'd look for a new job and make them fire you, then take this to an employment tribunal.

CYA - get your manager(s) to admit, in writing, what they're doing. If they talk to you about it, send an email - something like:

"Hi, just to confirm I got our conversation right:

- expectation 1
- expectation 2
- etc.

Please let me know if I have anything wrong."

And then you screenshot that tit, upload it to the cloud and also forward yourself the email thread

COVER YOUR ASS, right now.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
No no no duck that bullshit. They cannot tell you IF you're allowed to post!

They have some degree of infuence when it comes to what you post PUBLICLY about the company, but that's it.

They have no right to completely curbe your social media actions. You are a private citizen after work, and there is an expectation of privacy for your free time. They do not own you!

I'd look for a new job and make them fire you, then take this to an employment tribunal.

CYA - get your manager(s) to admit, in writing, what they're doing. If they talk to you about it, send an email - something like:

"Hi, just to confirm I got our conversation right:

- expectation 1
- expectation 2
- etc.

Please let me know if I have anything wrong."

And then you screenshot that tit, upload it to the cloud and also forward yourself the email thread

COVER YOUR ASS, right now.
This is exactly what my family and friends have said too, I completely understand if I was posting my work / videos of client work, but I never did that - the only videos that they picked up on that they said I can no longer post were literally my hands typing at my keypad - which may I add, was done at lunch, and also posted in the evening.
I've heard theres a new girl starting soon that has more experience than me, so I have a feeling they're trying to wrangle me out here and I have been contacting elsewhere for new jobs lol.
I have also been sure to log use only private browser, log out of all my emails, and clear my history every evening before I leave as I'm sure someone is logging onto my computer when I leave.

Idk something just seems so fishy, and I can't out my finger on it - I'm glad you lot see it too lol x

PS - anyone wanna hire me as a social media manager lol xxx

• Sad
Reactions: 2
This is exactly what my family and friends have said too, I completely understand if I was posting my work / videos of client work, but I never did that - the only videos that they picked up on that they said I can no longer post were literally my hands typing at my keypad - which may I add, was done at lunch, and also posted in the evening.
I've heard theres a new girl starting soon that has more experience than me, so I have a feeling they're trying to wrangle me out here and I have been contacting elsewhere for new jobs lol.
I have also been sure to log use only private browser, log out of all my emails, and clear my history every evening before I leave as I'm sure someone is logging onto my computer when I leave.

Idk something just seems so fishy, and I can't out my finger on it - I'm glad you lot see it too lol x

PS - anyone wanna hire me as a social media manager lol xxx
Private browser doesn’t work when it comes to a work computer - they could still pull all your browsing history if they want to

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.