Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Working from home 1 day a week means I get an extra hours sleep and it makes such a difference. I don’t care if it makes me sound lazy 🤣 I know I’m more positive when I get a certain amount of sleep and I have tried going to bed an hour earlier when I’m not working at home and I just can’t seem to switch off.

Reactions: 8
Feeling like you are making a difference with your job and that it has value is important to many, so definitely not alone there.

In my previous job I often was genuinely excited to work on things because the product was amazing and it was like my baby. Or rather, everyone's baby, we all bend over backwards for it. it was cool, but it was also exhausting after some time, because you were always "on". Because we were so excited, we never allowed us any slack, really, and as the thing grew bigger, so also became the pressure. I still loved it, but the extreme pressure and unreasonable hours made me leave in the end. Some days I wish I hadn't, because I still care so much for the product and I don't think I will ever find that anywhere again, which makes me sad. I want to feel that buzz.

Reactions: 4
Feeling like you are making a difference with your job and that it has value is important to many, so definitely not alone there.

In my previous job I often was genuinely excited to work on things because the product was amazing and it was like my baby. Or rather, everyone's baby, we all bend over backwards for it. it was cool, but it was also exhausting after some time, because you were always "on". Because we were so excited, we never allowed us any slack, really, and as the thing grew bigger, so also became the pressure. I still loved it, but the extreme pressure and unreasonable hours made me leave in the end. Some days I wish I hadn't, because I still care so much for the product and I don't think I will ever find that anywhere again, which makes me sad. I want to feel that buzz.
What do you do now? I find this is how a lot of self employed people feel - excited but exhausted from the constant pressure.
I still think I would rather be exhausted from the passion than apathetic.
Im starting to feel like I'm wasting all of my days alive just trying to pay bills and exist. It's definitely a contemporary problem as I have all of the basics covered I just don't feel especially connected.

Reactions: 4
What do you do now? I find this is how a lot of self employed people feel - excited but exhausted from the constant pressure.
I still think I would rather be exhausted from the passion than apathetic.
Im starting to feel like I'm wasting all of my days alive just trying to pay bills and exist. It's definitely a contemporary problem as I have all of the basics covered I just don't feel especially connected.
I'm a Product Manager - which is an okay job, I guess. The make and break is the product and people working on it, at least for me. I often feel quite powerless in my position - on paper, I could have a lot of power, but since I don't carry it out, I can't force anything, so I feel like I'm at the mercy of everybody.

Reactions: 1
So I have a strong suspicion someone from the office has been on my work tablet and looked at personal messages I have sent to another member of staff and total disclosure we had been bitching about them on this chat 😬
She’s giving us the silent treatment but obviously can’t say anything otherwise she’ll admit she snooped 😂 I need to get out of this toxic environment
It’s a violation of numerous corporate policies if she’s indeed been on your tablet. It should be reported.

Where does it say it was a private whatsapp group?

Similar happened to me today, we have a small group chat and we were all having a moan but my colleague didn’t realise that our manager was behind and saw the group chat but on the bit where I kicked off about another manager. Nothing has been said yet but I’m now waiting for an awkward conversation. My fault I shouldn’t get so involved, lesson learned not to put anything on the group chat that I wouldn’t mind anyone seeing. Wish me luck for the rest of the week while I try and hide in the corner!! Mortified
It wasn’t on what’s app it was on Teams 😬

I’m relieved that others have had the experience of messages being read! It’s awful and awkward but I’ve felt pretty guilty about it since!
our workplace is just a shitshow at the moment 😩 with a coworker seeing our messages about her via snooping and then a manager walking out, it’s been a tough couple of weeks

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I’m back at work after a period of leave with anxiety, started feeling ok while off so thought it was getting better. But now I’m back I feel awful again and the thought of going in next week is filling me with dread. I’ve had headache for 3 days, my chest hurts and I just want to cry.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I’m back at work after a period of leave with anxiety, started feeling ok while off so thought it was getting better. But now I’m back I feel awful again and the thought of going in next week is filling me with dread. I’ve had headache for 3 days, my chest hurts and I just want to cry.
This happened to me last year - had a month off with burnout, went back just before Christmas and was no better (and there was still absolutely 0 support from the seniors/management other than a tick box return to work form....). Changed teams (same company) and the management here is just as shocking so, I am looking completely elsewhere now because nothing changes up top here/no progress/no CARE.

If you can leave, look on Glassdoor for other companies or talk to people you may know there as sometimes the environment change can help - sometimes not of course.

I know it's so hard - I feel trapped most days and it's definitely down to crap management with no support in place as that makes you feel so alone in a place you spend such a period of your life ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
One of the managers I work with has just text me at 7.30 am about a work idea. I don’t have a work mobile and I don’t start work till 9am 🙄

Reactions: 2
I have been cut-throat about this over the last two months. I eat, breathed and tit work for the last 3 years and it didn't do me any extra good - or them. Now I work during work hours and everything work related is off from 5pm to 8.30am.

If anyone has seen Severance - that's me these days! No more looking at emails when I wake, when I travel, during evenings and weekends and holidays. They don't own that time, I do.

Reactions: 11
That manager should know better
They definitely should, but this works both ways. I used to have staff texting me at 10.30pm or 6.30am to say they were not going to be in work for whatever reason. We worked office hours , I didn’t really need to know at those times of the morning/ night 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 3
How is the week going so far? 💙

Yes, I don’t have a work phone
Yikes!
i do get people getting excited about a work idea and all, put there's a time and a place for it. Did they expect you to reply at that hour?
If you can, I'd try to limit the notification hours you can get from them and restrict to your actual work hours. I'm not sure how it works, but phones let you set up a "work profile", maybe there's some setting that could be used.

For every bit of unpaid overtime you do, reading emails etc out of hours, you are reducing your hourly rate. You think you get x per hour for y hours work a week, but the calculation lessens when you do the unpaid stuff. Stop doing it. You are not a charity. You are there to earn money to pay bills. If they want extra, pay extra.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.