Documentaries you've seen you still think about to this day

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Terry ended up having a baby with Karen, believe it or not.
She went on to marry his mate. She seems to have had all boys. The 10 year follow up when she caught Gary with another woman and was chasing him and her with a hammer in her story 🫣

Reactions: 1
She went on to marry his mate. She seems to have had all boys. The 10 year follow up when she caught Gary with another woman and was chasing him and her with a hammer in her story 🫣
Yep, I felt sorry for the two of them in 1984, they clearly had an unhappy marriage and were both struggling. I wondered had they rushed into it at 18 because Karen was pregnant, and maybe they weren't really well suited. I looked up Gary on Facebook and he now seems happy with his 2nd wife. Karen's 2nd marriage also has lasted afaik.

I saw someone had mentioned on a Youtube comment that Terry was the father of one of Karen's boys (when she was still with Gary). I did some facebook stalking of the Wilkins family members and saw it confirmed.

I loved Tom, Marian's hubby. He was so witty and fun.

There is a Facebook page dedicated to The Family, which Marian posts on. She put up extracts from Margaret's book a while back.

Reactions: 1
The boy who's skin fell off 😭😭😭
That was so sad. When he said he'd advocate abortion for someone with his condition (I can't remember his precise wording, but he alluded to it). That broke me. He was in such pain all the time and his life was barely worth living.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
That was so sad. When he said he'd advocate abortion for someone with his condition (I can't remember his precise wording, but he alluded to it). That broke me. He was in such pain all the time and his life was barely worth living.
This is why I’m against prolonged care for children born with severe disabilities. Just let them go, it’s no life.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Johnny had such an awful life but he had such an amazing character and was so cheeky. I remember him flirting with Nell McAndrew.

Reactions: 2
The one that I still think about, years later is the documentary called ‘Poor Kids’. Goodness knows how families like that survive the current economic climate.

This is why I’m against prolonged care for children born with severe disabilities. Just let them go, it’s no life.
Why do you think that you’re in a position to judge whose lives are worth living? I find that comment shocking.

Watching 6-part documentary on Discovery Plus called Two Shallow Graves about the murders of the McStay family. I followed the case at the time and I've learnt a lot of new things. It's a very good series. I was convinced of Chase Merritt's guilt before watching but I'm having doubts! Also watching a series about the Estonia disaster. Discovery Plus has great documentaries.

This one, following Mike Holpin from Wales 'The Man with 20 Kids'. I was annoyed by it at the time as I felt the younger kids weren't being looked after properly. I wonder how they are all doing now. I did look a few of the kids up on Facebook a couple years ago and it seemed some of them had fallen out with Mike, can't remember all the details.

Not sure if this counts as a "documentary" but has anyone seen The Family, a series from 1974 following the Wilkins family from Reading? It's on Youtube. I really enjoyed it, getting a look at the lives of each family member. Nice time capsule
I found this so fascinating, what I vividly remember was how much older they looked than adults of the equivalent age today, life was much harder I guess

Reactions: 4
Why do you think that you’re in a position to judge whose lives are worth living? I find that comment shocking.
It’s my opinion. If you sit in a chair all day hitting your head and not doing anything then I really don’t think it’s much of a life

Reactions: 5
It’s my opinion. If you sit in a chair all day hitting your head and not doing anything then I really don’t think it’s much of a life
Can I ask if you have a severely disabled relative? You don’t sound like you do. You don’t sound like you understand the issues present in this scenario?

How do you think parents like me, and others feel, reading posts saying that our children would be better off dead because you don’t like the look of their life?

What sort of condition do the children have who ‘sit in a chair hitting their head’? Are you saying that they should be euthanised? How are you in a position to accurately understand what kind of life they have? You are assessing it only from your point of view.

I am always going to call out ableist comments when I see them.

I can tell you now that if you had a severely disabled child, you’d see them as the person they are, not someone unworthy of life.

Furthermore, Disability isn’t something that happens to other people and that you are above yourself or immune to. If you or a relative became severely disabled, or had dementia, just imagine if people were having conversations like this about you or them?

Can I ask if you have a severely disabled relative? You don’t sound like you do. You don’t sound like you understand the issues present in this scenario?

How do you think parents like me, and others feel, reading posts saying that our children would be better off dead because you don’t like the look of their life?

What sort of condition do the children have who ‘sit in a chair hitting their head’? Are you saying that they should be euthanised? How are you in a position to accurately understand what kind of life they have? You are assessing it only from your point of view.

I can tell you now that if you had a severely disabled child, you’d see them as the person they are, not someone unworthy of life.

Furthermore, Disability isn’t something that happens to other people and that you are above yourself or immune to. If you or a relative became severely disabled, or had dementia, just imagine if people were having conversations like this about you or them?
I think we maybe are going OT but I agree. I do wish though that we had voluntary euthenasia, people should be able to decide for themselves in these awful situations

• Heart
The one that I still think about, years later is the documentary called ‘Poor Kids’. Goodness knows how families like that survive the current economic climate.

Poor Kids was horrible. I too think about it a lot :(

There is no such thing as ableist. Just another word concocted to minimise somebody else’s opinion that you disagree with.

If I was unfortunate enough to become severally disabled then I would probably take myself off to Dignitas, that’s if I would still have the mental capacity to agree to it.

I never once said they were unworthy of life, I said it’s no life to have. And the people who keep prolonging it does it for their own selfish reasons and not in the best interest of the person with the disability

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.