Documentaries you've seen you still think about to this day

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Fantastic thread, just finished reading through it all. This is a long shot but there is a documentary that has stayed with me, and I don't know what it's called and never been able to find it. It could possibly have been dramatised. It was 90s I think, and it was about a 13 year old girl who was living in a rough area and she was pretty much allowed to do what she wanted. She was partying and having what she considered a great time, drink and drugs etc. One evening she came home and drank a full bottle of methadone and died on the settee. It has stayed with me as my younger years were very similar, maybe not as extreme, but it really struck a chord with me. Can anyone else remember it?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Randomly today watched the 2002 9/11 documentary where the two French brothers were filming with the Firemen. The scenes in the lobby were insane. Gives the realist perspective of what it was like there than I've ever seen. Harrowing.

Reactions: 8
I haven’t read the whole thread yet, but the documentary “Dear Zachary” is just gutting and haunting.

Now I am going to read the whole thread and make a list of things to watch

Reactions: 2
Started watching a documentary series on All 4 about the Daniel Morgan murder case. Very good so far. Case does get very convoluted.

What an interesting thread, looking forward to trying some of these suggestions. I love watching old documentaries!

Two spring to mind immediately:

1. There was a programme on Ch4 around 2001 called "The Real Fresh Prince" following a black teenager from London as he did a trial in a fee paying school in the countryside. He was torn between street life in the tough area of London he lived in, or a life of pursuing education. He was called Pierre Pitt. I'd love to know what happened to him, how did his life turn out...I've searched a few times online and found nothing.

2. A programme I watched during the first lockdown on Youtube, a documentary called "Gale is Dead" from 1970 that was broadcast as part of the Man Alive series (lots more interesting Man Alive docs on Youtube... i wish a few more would get uploaded). It was about a teenage heroin addict and it was absolutely heartbreaking, I've thought about it so much since.
Here's part 1, it is split over several Youtube videos. I highly recommend watching just be warned it is extremely sad.
There is a lovely woman called Nancy David in the video who tried to help her, truly beautiful soul...

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So, I got around to watching Dear Zachary. Probably one of the most heart-breaking stories I've ever heard. I just cannot believe they let that woman walk free. The grandparents were amazing, don't watch this without tissues.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
So, I got around to watching Dear Zachary. Probably one of the most heart-breaking stories I've ever heard. I just cannot believe they let that woman walk free. The grandparents were amazing, don't watch this without tissues.
I saw this for the first time 8 years ago and I still think of it. It’s so, so heartbreaking. Andrew seemed like such a beautiful person — his parents are A FORCE. I cried for hours the first time I seen it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Actually broke my heart did Dear Zachary! Felt like I had PTSD for months after it.

The grandparents were so lovely. I wasn’t able to get them out of my mind for a long time after.

I’ve never heard of this before. Thanks for sharing it. I’ve found the video on YouTube and I’m going to watch it

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Just finished watching a 2-parter on C4 called How to Hire a Hitman. Was intriguing.

Just finished watching a 2-parter on C4 called How to Hire a Hitman. Was intriguing.
I’ve got that to watch tomorrow night. I like Yinka, she also did the documentary about Damilola Taylor who she was friends with as a child.

Reactions: 1
Ones I remember are
BBC three• Alex a life fast forward I cried buckets
Channel 4- The Family-the hughes’ and then the Grewels loved watching both of them

Reactions: 2
Not sure if this counts as a "documentary" but has anyone seen The Family, a series from 1974 following the Wilkins family from Reading? It's on Youtube. I really enjoyed it, getting a look at the lives of each family member. Nice time capsule

Reactions: 7
Not sure if this counts as a "documentary" but has anyone seen The Family, a series from 1974 following the Wilkins family from Reading? It's on Youtube. I really enjoyed it, getting a look at the lives of each family member. Nice time capsule
Think I got hooked from this thread.

Reactions: 1
Might have been mentioned already but Storyville - The Mole: Infiltrating North Korea was fascinating and terrifying at the same. It’s about a man who infiltrates North Korea and poses as someone who is interested in buying weapons. It’s a crazy documentary and seems more like a film at times. Cannot believe how brave the two guys were who were the moles.

Reactions: 3
Might have been mentioned already but Storyville - The Mole: Infiltrating North Korea was fascinating and terrifying at the same. It’s about a man who infiltrates North Korea and poses as someone who is interested in buying weapons. It’s a crazy documentary and seems more like a film at times. Cannot believe how brave the two guys were who were the moles.
where did you watch this?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.