Do you believe Jesus existed?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes I believe he existed. I believe he was a travelling preacher who had some sort of event happen to him to make him think he was the son of God. Maybe voices in his head (like Joan of Arc).

I believe he was subsequently crucified on the cross. That was a typical barbaric punishment in those times. So many people executed throughout history for their beliefs or going against the status quo.

I think yes, he was born in a stable, I can almost hear him preaching about his humble upbringing to a crowd. And I think his status as son of God was cemented by a few lucky 'miracles' happening which made doubters believe him (doubting Thomas). Things that we would scoff at now, but in those days must have seemed like a miracle. A bit like blood moons and comets being seen as 'signs' by pagans etc

But the fishes and loaves thing, rising from the dead, nope. Concocted to keep his following and faith going by his followers. I think his death had the opposite effect of making him a legend rather than stamping out his following/preaching.

Incidentally, Mr Peas thinks that he may have been in a coma / presumed dead after being on the cross, and did indeed 'rise from the dead' when his supposed dead body was being attended too/ washed. I think there might be something in that - we've all heard the stories of scratch marks being found on the inside of coffins because the person was actually still alive, just probably comatose
The fishes and loaves thing is not meant to be taken literally. The crowd were satisfied with the word of God and that's why the food was enough to feed everyone. We were taught this in GCSE RE at Catholic school. The miracles are all to demonstrate putting your faith in God paying off.
I think he existed, and I think his message was positive but its been misinterpreted and used to control people for thousands of years.

Reactions: 12
What an interesting thread.
Yes I believe Jesus existed and yes I believe in God. It's quite an old fashioned opinion amongst my peer group these days tbh so I rarely voice it. It brings me deep comfort and happiness though I'm not a church goer.
Everyone seems to share their opinions on every thing, and just as they feel entitled to do it, so should you! I get annoyed how Christianity is allowed to be berated (and I'm not Christian)

To the answer the original question, I think man called Jesus existed but absolutely don't believe he was the son of God nor born of a Virgin.
But all religions have fantastical stories

Reactions: 9
I should also probably add that the majority of early Christians believed (according to contemporary sources) that the world would end in their lifetime or at the latest by the next generation. This context helps explain some of the odder stuff in the testaments. Though like someone else has already said they've been rewritten so many times it's like a game of Chinese whispers once you get to AD 200 or so.

However I respect peoples faiths/beliefs (and always have if it harms no one) with the proviso they don't try try Evangelicize non believers or make baseless assertions like "you don't believe in the same one as me thus your afterlife will be shite or you won't get one at all".
That's called "magical thinking".

I envy people their faith on occassion. I remain a skeptic in the purest sense of the word. I await some kind of confirmation and try to keep an open mind until then not just berate or entirely discount stuff because it happens to be easy to do. That approach and religious zealotry are two sides of the same coin.

Reactions: 5
I was brought up in a Christian family with a vicar in the family so I was brought up on it but I've left organised religion behind in my adulthood. I still believe in the likely existence of God, however the form may be, but I am sort of agnostic too, as in 'I just can't be sure'. I take comfort from thinking someone might be 'there' watching out for me but also I get upset when bad stuff happens because then it feels like maybe its happening for a nefarious reason so I definitely go back and forth with the faith side.

Regarding Jesus, I think it is very plausible there would be a charismatic leader and back then, verbal stories would have been shared and passed on etc, but we don't really know the truth of the situation but I guess I believe he existed. I'm not sure how I feel about the miracles etc.

I don't think we ever truly know.
I don't think we are here by mistake but I also don't get why the eff we are here... and I'm not sure what to believe about a second coming etc. We just don't know anything really.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Interesting thread :)
Lately I’ve felt more and more that if there’s not something else then what’s the point of this.
So I’m trying very hard to find some kind of spirituality, if that makes sense.

But it seems to me that many religions have a Jesus type figure at the heart of them.
I don’t know - maybe there was a Jesus, and he was a type of cult leader for what became an organised religion.
Weren’t the books of the Bible written many years after his death? So not really reliable as a source.
I’d be interested to know the truth of his history if he did exist.

Reactions: 4
I think he did exist, but a lot of the stories around him have been exaggerated or written in such a way to make them fit with existing mythology/prophesy at the time, as there were specific events that prophets had previously said would mark the coming of a Messiah.

There are some really interesting episodes of The Rest is History about the historical case for Jesus. I recommend listing to them

Reactions: 3
This is actually a really interesting thread. Do I believe Jesus existed? I actually do think he probably did yes. However I don’t believe he was born from a virgin woman nor was he the son of God (Whilst I believe Jesus probably existed. God is a different story) and the ‘miracles’ he performed differ to what people believed they saw him do.
I can believe he got crucified. They used to burn people they thought were witches at the stake so figures they’d try and get rid of the man claiming he could heal people and telling them magical stories.
Don’t believe he rose from the dead two days later though.

Reactions: 2
Agree with those saying he probably did exist in some capacity. Always took the bible stories to be parables and never actually believed he performed “miracles.” I think he was a preacher who was murdered for his beliefs and died a martyr and that’s the gist of it for me. I don’t believe in god and am not a religious person but if it’s what makes other people feel better then I don’t have any problems with it. As long as it’s not being forced upon others I don’t care what people believe in.

Even in modern society, 'Jesuses' are popping up like whack-a-moles. People who think they are the reincarnation of the original. I'm inclined towards thinking that such a man did exist but, as others have said, he was an amalgamation of many. There was something on QI about Christians hijacking a pagan tradition of 'Mithras', which became Christmas. Similarly, it grew around a man who was said to be born of a virgin and who became divine in some way. Similarly with Easter ('Oestre'- something to do with eggs and fertility).

I was raised a Catholic and did buy into much of it all for many years until I learned more about the (very deep) flaws in the Catholic religion as an institution. I've since abandoned all that but would still say I had 'faith'. My partner, also raised Catholic but now atheist asked me, recently, how I could have 'faith' if I no longer believe in much of what I was taught. I tried to explain that I just entrust myself to 'whatever'- faith in fate, so to speak. If there is some kind of divine entity, I'll be judged on how I live my life and the good things that I try to do. I try to keep it simple. I don't feel the need to do endless rituals to secure a place in some afterlife. Goodness, kindness and awareness of my (multiple) faults are the basic tenets of my 'faith'. If there is some kind of afterlife, it might count for something. I do try to keep some of the Christian values, just because I'd rather tune in to the better side of human nature than the worst. If there isn't an afterlife, so be it.

Cynics would say I'm 'hedging my bets', lol!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I was raised Catholic and my mom was a former nun. She had been basically orphaned as a child and the nuns sort of raised her, so it really was more the direction her life was going rather than any spiritual calling that led her to it.

However, my mom was a very ethical and good person. She deeply believed in service to others, and I believe Catholicism played a substantial role in that attitude. And this is where I think religion plays a role in society, even though I am agnostic. The teachings of Jesus are important and necessary for a functioning society, and to be reminded of them on a weekly basis isn’t a bad thing (if they aren’t misinterpreted). The Catholic church, for all its faults, does place an emphasis on service to others, which I believe is very much in line with Jesus’ message. It’s something I feel is sorely missing in today’s society with the decline of church attendance.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I don't know of anyone watched Pilgrimage last night on BBC2. If you're not familiar the premise is a group of celebrities walking a pilgrim trail discussing their various faiths (or lack of). The subject of whether Jesus was real and the son of God came up. Spencer Matthews had always genuinely believed he was a fictional fairytale character, and Christine Mcguiness asked if there were photographs of him.
I'm making it sound more trite than it was as there were some interesting opinions and insights into early Christianity in Britain (they were walking in N Wales). They weren't all Christian.

The fishes and loaves thing is not meant to be taken literally. The crowd were satisfied with the word of God and that's why the food was enough to feed everyone. We were taught this in GCSE RE at Catholic school. The miracles are all to demonstrate putting your faith in God paying off.
I think he existed, and I think his message was positive but its been misinterpreted and used to control people for thousands of years.
That is really interesting. No one has ever explained that to me before.

Reactions: 3
I don't know of anyone watched Pilgrimage last night on BBC2. If you're not familiar the premise is a group of celebrities walking a pilgrim trail discussing their various faiths (or lack of). The subject of whether Jesus was real and the son of God came up. Spencer Matthews had always genuinely believed he was a fictional fairytale character, and Christine Mcguiness asked if there were photographs of him.
I'm making it sound more trite than it was as there were some interesting opinions and insights into early Christianity in Britain (they were walking in N Wales). They weren't all Christian.
I’ve saved this to watch later :) . I always find that series very interesting; I love hearing the different takes on religion and spirituality.

Reactions: 1
I'm an atheist.

I think Jesus existed, but he was nothing more than a radical preacher who the government / local religious authorities got pissed off with. So they did the last thing you should do in that situation. They killed him. Which - in a manner of speaking - made him live forever.

Reactions: 8