Do you believe Jesus existed?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As in not on a spiritual level, that there was an actual person wandering around making such an impact on people at the time. Or is he just an amalgamation of other people and stories at the time to create one perfect person.

I don't believe there's any sort of truth in the nativity story so don't think that helps. However the narrative of his death seems fairly possibly - young hippy prophet pissing off the older Priests so they give the Romans the nod to execute him to avoid a fuss (however this power balance has always been disputed as well). Still even though there's quite a concise story of his death, no evidence of him is around to say, and writing seemed to start hundreds of years after.

I woke up early as as it's Easter started pondering :LOL:

Reactions: 13
Yes I believe he existed. I think the birth and crucifixion are largely true but all miracles are a huge case of Chinese whispers. I don’t believe he is the son of god but I think his teachings are definitely his words. I don’t believe in God btw. Sorry if this offends anyone, just my two pennth.

Reactions: 16
There's definitely every possibility that someone like Jesus existed, there were probably many, many others like him too, all trying to form their own tribe of believers & followers.
But as for stuff like God creating everything in 7 days, a "virgin birth", Moses parting The Red Sea, Adam & Eve, well that's all total nonsense in my opinion, but it makes for a good story.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I think it’s highly probable that a man existed that was charismatic enough to influence others into following him and the tales have been exaggerated over time.
A lot of his so called miracles can be explained away with a combination of magic tricks and mass hysteria. I do not believe he was the son of god because god does not exist.

If he was around today we would either lock him away with some very strong meds or he’d be on celebrity big brother 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Yes I believe he existed ,in a similar way todays preachers gather large followings.

Reactions: 9
No I don't believe in Jesus or God..I think its law and order to keep us on the straight and narrow. Ie The Ten Commandments, also being brainwashed at an early age, and follow what your parents do.As you get older it all begins to make sense. JMO...

Reactions: 19
Yes I believe there was a man who existed who was quite radical in his beliefs and that may have raised eyebrows with those in local authority hence him being put to death.
As for the religious element I’m wondering if it’s years of storytelling that turned his story into something else entirely.
Has anyone read The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov? It features a few chapters dedicated to Yeshua Ha-Nozri (Aramaic for Jesus of Nazareth) his meeting with Pontius Pilate and his death.

Reactions: 8
Yes I believe he existed, and that the broad story has truth to it (gained a following, scared government, was killed). Could he have risen? I guess there's a slim chance if they only thought he was dead, but it's unlikely. And all the healing stuff was likely untrue, luck or maybe natural medicine.

I think that might be true to a lot of bible stories, very loosely based on some true happenings the time.

I don't think I believe in God, but I do have a spiritual side. I think God, and organised religion, was likely a way to help control society, and the ten commandments aren't a bad set of rules to live by

• Heart
Reactions: 19
It seems probable that a visionary/charismatic speaker had his own followers/cadre in that era.
Lived for a bit then died.
There were many such "cult leaders" back then catering to all tastes/notions.
"End of the world/apocalyptic" cults were particulalry popular. It's gratifying to note that some things never change.

Beyond that anything else is a question of faith.

And faith is unquantifiable by it's very nature.

Reactions: 3
What an interesting thread.
Yes I believe Jesus existed and yes I believe in God. It's quite an old fashioned opinion amongst my peer group these days tbh so I rarely voice it. It brings me deep comfort and happiness though I'm not a church goer.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Yes I believe he existed. I believe he was a travelling preacher who had some sort of event happen to him to make him think he was the son of God. Maybe voices in his head (like Joan of Arc).

I believe he was subsequently crucified on the cross. That was a typical barbaric punishment in those times. So many people executed throughout history for their beliefs or going against the status quo.

I think yes, he was born in a stable, I can almost hear him preaching about his humble upbringing to a crowd. And I think his status as son of God was cemented by a few lucky 'miracles' happening which made doubters believe him (doubting Thomas). Things that we would scoff at now, but in those days must have seemed like a miracle. A bit like blood moons and comets being seen as 'signs' by pagans etc

But the fishes and loaves thing, rising from the dead, nope. Concocted to keep his following and faith going by his followers. I think his death had the opposite effect of making him a legend rather than stamping out his following/preaching.

Incidentally, Mr Peas thinks that he may have been in a coma / presumed dead after being on the cross, and did indeed 'rise from the dead' when his supposed dead body was being attended too/ washed. I think there might be something in that - we've all heard the stories of scratch marks being found on the inside of coffins because the person was actually still alive, just probably comatose

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
some sort of event happen to him to make him think he was the son of God. Maybe voices in his head (like Joan of Arc).
may have been in a coma / presumed dead after being on the cross, and did indeed 'rise from the dead' when his supposed dead body was being attended too/ washed. I think there might be something in that - we've all heard the stories of scratch marks being found on the inside of coffins because the person was actually still alive, just probably comatose
These are really good points! I’ve never thought of it like this before.

Reactions: 4
There's some academic discussion around this, or used to be anyway, that may interest some of you

I believe he existed in the way that I believe Robin Hood existed. I think there were guys who went around talking to people about the Roman occupation; getting people riled up and protesting. I think there were probably many of them and we've compounded them into a single entity called Jesus Christ. It has been said that Jesus was the first communist and I think he (or they) probably was in a sense. However, I don't believe there was anything supernatural about the figure. No doubt he was crucified as that was a popular punishment at the time. Many people who rebelled against the Roman occupation were probably crucified. Possible to "rise from the dead"? I doubt it. As I understand it crucified people die of suffocation because of the position of the body. Oh and that whole stigmata thing? When a person's crucified the nails are driven into the wrists - not the palms of the hands.

The rest of it is just stories invented to control the population - a scam that's worked very well for a couple of thousand years.

Reactions: 8
Yes I believe he existed. I believe he was a travelling preacher who had some sort of event happen to him to make him think he was the son of God. Maybe voices in his head (like Joan of Arc).
There's a theory that all the prophets in the Bible were epileptic. So when they have a fit they'd come round having seen visions or believing it was God talking to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Yes I believe Jesus existed, but I believe a lot of the stories about him written in the bible were symbolic and not to be taken as literal. I also believe he was more a healer and parts have been exaggerated as the gospels are like Chinese whispers. I actually wrote my dissertation on how Jesus was portrayed in the bible stories and the possible accuracy but alas that was a while ago now and my brain has pushed all that information out haha.

Interesting thread and I like reading different view points.

Reactions: 16
Yes I think he probably existed. He was the son of god as in we are all gods children.

I think he was a prophet like Mohammed.

Reactions: 1
Yes, his birth was recorded by the Romans when Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem for a census. The Romans also recorded his death along with everyone else they crucified.

Reactions: 6